Send Topic Print
Enter the Dungeon! (Read 3396 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Enter the Dungeon!
Oct 12th, 2013 at 2:26am

I am itching to run an old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons dungeon crawl.

Anyone else?

If interested we are still using my V&V rules.

Make up any character you want, but there are no powers, or classes.  You roll your stats like a non powered ( start at 10 +1d8) and 20 bonus points.

To pump a stat up past 18 is two BPs per increase.

If you want to be a thief, buy skills a thief would want.   Look up an old D&D manual for reference.

All typical D&D races  I will give you your racial attributes after you roll up everything else to reduce munckining.

I am scary, very, very scary.
WWW Jbua@juno.com Food+Eater+Lad  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Re: Enter the Dungeon!
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:58am

YOU KNOW I AM IN!!!!!!!

Just have to figure out what type to play.

I guess I will get something made up and Posted in this thread.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:49am

Oh, and forget that Dwaves can't be mages thing.  Every time you pick up a mythology book, you read about the dwarves making magic items.

So no race restrictions.  Be a Halfling paladin.  See if I care.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm

Any backround ideas for the World itself? May help with Character or Race ideas.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 12:08am

I am torn between Human Rogue Type and an Orc. I always thought the Goblinoid Races got a bad rap. They are just looking at the world from a different perspective

Not sure if anyone ever read the couple of books called "Orcs"

I read three of them and I cannot remember the author
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2013 at 10:10pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 11:09am

The Web comic GOBLINS is pretty good for showing how a monster race can decide to gain class skills.  Also pretty funny as well Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 10:15pm

THE ONI wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Any backround ideas for the World itself? May help with Character or Race ideas.

See the thread called Arcadia.  Oh and you better believe their will be Owlbears.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 6:26am

Oh, I read it Fella. I am selfish so I am trying to see how the Orishi would fit in but I think I'm good with it

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 11:16pm

Here is my rough draft for a different kind of Orc.

Grodek The Beautiful

Str 13
End 13
Int 18
Agi 17
Will 15
Cha 17
Wealth 5
Weight 220lbs

Skills:
Dodge
Tumble
Armor Use- Studded Leather
Survival
Endurance- Running
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry
Leadership
Intimidation
Riding
Tracking
Weapon Use- To be decided
Parry
Direction Sense
Swimming
Climbing
Military
Langauage-To be decided

I left two slots open for now and used 4 points of Wealth to bump his weight to 220lbs

Grodek is a bIt different and has a few radical ideas on how the Race needs to change and grow in order to survive instead of just being Balista fodder for some Wizard or Troll Leader.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 1:38am

OK. So Grodek never made it but Thorn did. Expect to see a similiar version of Grodek in The Ravenswood, just not as an Orc.

Dire Rats? Seriously? Gnolls??? Awesome!!!

Meeting in a tavern and on the Road. Just perfect. I missed D&D but did not take to the new version so this was really a Great combination of style, theme and Rules.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:15am

The Barony of Osil, more commonly called the Mucklands, has been prospering from an  abundance of crops.  Ever since the unicorn, Brieses has claimed the land as his*.   All was well, and the people were growing content, and dare say it, happy.  Arcadia is a rough land, a harsh place, but Osil was gaining a reputation as place you might survive till old age in.
     Even though the White Witch has killed every man who tried to woo her, life was not bad.   People came from far and wide to catch a sight of the unicorn.  People made fortunes selling “genuine” unicorn hairs.  The Baron was starting to get ambitious….

Well things can never last.   The Witch Witch came into Tash, walked right up to Merle, the owner of the Loaf and Onion, and held her axe to his head.  She demanded that he butcher up the slain body of Brieses!   Oh the horror!   Everyone knows Merle is not a brave man, but still, the Loaf and Onion doesn’t seem to have too many seasons left in the place.   It’s too bad, its signature Onionbread drew even the Elves from beyond the Muckwater for a taste.

The Baron had no choice.  He adopted the Unicorn as his sigil.  His very standing in Finvarra was at stake.  The people are scared, and scared people do scary things.  He offered a fortune, 1000 gold crowns to whomever brings him the head of the White Witch.

Now young Thorn was ambitious as well, and knows he can spend 1000 crowns better than anyone else.  So after glimpsing the party of Dwarven Giant Slayers, he knew he had to get out first.  Those brutes looked pretty capable.  So off into the night he went.     Let the Dwarves drink and feast a few days.  Give him a good head start.

Seems Mr. Shadowkin had the same idea.    Not that Mr. Shadowkin was his name, but it was a good name as any thought Thorn.   So that’s what he decided to call him, until he gave him his real name.   So Thorn had a companion.   500 gold crowns was still a fortune, and Mr. Shadowkin looked like he could handle a blade.
Off into the night, just the two of them.  Or three, as Roger Blanchefort, the 6th son of the Baron, stumbled upon them, also with the idea of getting a head start.   Thorn wasn’t too happy with a three way split, but 333 gold crowns is still a fortune, and he WILL get that one extra coin cause, why the hell not!
For three days they walked the banks of the Muckwater.   They found a farm house that had been pillaged and burned.  The poor family dead, partially eaten.     They found two children and the parents.   It turns out, the father was not quite dead. He mumbled, “My poor three children.   My beans.  They took them.  Bury me with my wife and three children.”
Roger turned out to be more than just the useless son of a noble, he was a skilled tracker.  He saw that the tracks were those of beast men.  At least 15 distinct pairs of footprints.  The three gulped, went ahead, relieved that the tracks headed in the direction they were already going.  At least they could keep up the pretense that they would find the missing child.   Even though they were all secretly more interested in “magic beans.”

The speed of the beast men was great.  Unless they stopped, they would never catch up to them.   After the second day of following the trail, they found the party of beast men.  Dead.  At least 12 of them were skewered on great iron spikes that looked as if they sprang from the grown, suddenly and with great speed.
  Mr. Shadowkin searched the dense cluster of spikes and found a felt bag, still full of what looked like coffee beans.  He pulled the bag shut and took it out.     Roger was glad that none of the beast men’s blood had touched the ground.   All in Arcadia live in fear of the Red Caps, who spring out of each fallen drop of blood.

They followed the few tracks of the living best men till they hit the marshes.   While searching they heard the cackling laugh of the beast men, and were ambushed.   The fight was short, and with arrows and knives, the gnolls were all slain.   They found that one of the gnolls had a burlap sack, covered in mystic ruins.  Inside was the burnt body of a farmer’s daughter.   She was covered with greasy black ash, and in her mouth were unrecognizable herbs.   They sealed the bag.  They buried her and marked the tree.   They at least made a promise to come back and take her body to be buried with her father.

They made it deeper into the bog.   Roger’s dogs alerted them to a pack of Dire Rats.   The battle was a bit more than it should be, what with them waking with a start, the muddy ground, and the dark.   Mr. Shadowkin was bitten and tossed to the ground.   When he fell the bag of beans opened and a single bean rolled out.   Lightening fast, so fast it hurt Mr. Shadowkin, a reddish orange flickering staff shot out of the ground.  It was topped with what at first they thought was a pine cone, but latter realized it is a carved representation of a fire.

With the Dire Rats killed, they realized that they were not going to sleep much more that night.  Thorn grabbed the staff.  While warm to the touch, it was comfortable to hold.  He gave his own wooden staff to Roger.  With the light from the staff, they trudged on into the dark.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2013 at 8:08am by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:16am

* All unicorns are male.    Scholars speculate that there is only one female Unicorn.   It is called the Abath, and it can walk between worlds.   The power of the Abath boarders on that of the gods.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2013 at 8:08am by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 7:49am

Hoping we are going to make a return trip to Arcadia soon.

Mr Shadowkin. Probably a very nice you Man when you get to know him.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 7:15am

Bumping this just because we have to play this world again soon.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:10am

The party wintered with the  Tunt Family.  Winter in the Mucklands is not an accommodating place.  And with Mr. Shadowkin's boils bursting an all. 

It seems that the Dire Rats spread infection.  Mr. Tunt is a nice man, but still, Mr. Shadowkin had to stay in the barn. 

Thorn was torn. He liked Mr. Shadowkin, but he liked having 222 more gold pieces.  He didn't know if he should be rooting for or against his recovery.  Twice the Baron's men came to the farm and twice Roger hid in the haystacks.   Odd, thought Thorn.

With the weather getting warmer, and Mr. Tunt's daughter's belly starting to get bigger,  Thorn thought it best to move on.   They would have to leave Mr. Shadowkin here.  Besides,  Dwarven Giant Slayers probably kept on the march.  Hell, they might have even gotten to the White Witch by now. 

Time to find out.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 7:39pm

Maybe they will have take some dangerous short cut to get back in the lead.

Why would Roger hide in the barn. He did not seem to be the "wanted" type but Thorn had seen a well dressed thief before too.

They come in all kinds it seems

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2016 at 7:33pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 5:53am

For the group

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 12:25am

By the way. Thorn quietly removes the Bag O' Beans from Mr. Shadowkins unconscious body..... Wink

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 1:14am

OMG Bag O' Beans, I had one of those once? I think I made a giant beanstalk sprout out of someone's body once.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #19 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 2:55am

Thorn buried Mr Shadowkin by the tree he liked to climb. The worst of winter is gone and the Mr Tunt is starting to realize that his daughter's belly is not just Winter Fat. Time to start adventuring.

Roger went home, as the Baron's men came calling and he couldn't turn his father down.

Thorn packed his bag, and decided to leave under light of the full moon. He crept out the barn. He turned to look at the place he called home for five months. He uncharacteristicly thought he would miss the place and the honest work. He dismissed his thoughts and turned towards the wilds.

It screeched at him. He didn't know what it was at first. It was small. It was crawling. It was black. It was greasy. It smelled burnt...

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Long Island, New York
Reply #20 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 8:30am

Damn. I Hate Re-Animated Dead Kids.........

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #21 - May 6th, 2017 at 10:10am

The bitter winter was over.  Although it  is not quite sprint, the thaw has come.   The first full moon after the thaw is always the best time to start an adventure.  So Luna packed her silver talismans in her bag and left the Sanctuary of the Moon.  She offered the proper invocations to Selenae, Protector of the Night, and closed the doors.   This would be her first time away from the nuns.   

Van Hoger scribbed a note to the Wizard.  He wrote, “going out.”  He left it by the cubbard.  He took a wand from the box by the front door and was out.   He wasn’t sure what bothered him more, that the Wizard didn’t tell him his real name, or that he never told him what his real name was.  All his life he was called “Boy.”   He only learned his surname of Van Hoger from the pig farmers.  They remembered the Ork attack.  They remember hiding when the Wizard scared off the Orks and found the Boy among the partially eaten Van Hoger family.   Boy was too young to know his name, and the Wizard never bothered to find out.
He lived a life of menial tasks, and loneliness.   After 30 years of drudgery and self taught magic, it was time to make a name for himself.  Maybe even find out his first name.   Van Hoger marched into Tash to seek his fortune.

He saw the Moon Priestess by the town crier.  The crier was reminding everyone that the 1000 gold crowns for the capture of the White Witch was still unclaimed.   Many have gone to claim it, none had returned.   Van Hoger thought this would be the best way to make a name for himself.  Luna thought if only she could talk to the White Witch, she would understand why she would do such a horrid thing as to kill a unicorn.
After staying at the Loaf and Onion, they left before the sun.   They heard that the best adventures always start before the sun.  Luna did this because she could ask for a blessing from Selenae before she went to her repose below the horizon.  Van Hoger did this because Luna said so.  That was a good enough reason he thought.
They followed the Muckwater.    It was moving fast as the thaw was swelling the river.   They soon smelt burnt pork and rotting meat.  They saw a hooded man in gray, holding a red and orange staff.  The man was fighting what looked like a burned body of a little girl. 
It was screaming.  The corpse was screaming.    Van Hoger flicked and swished his stolen wand and levitated the corpse out harms way.  The Hooded Man smashed the thing in the face with his staff, breaking its neck, severing the loose flesh.    Luna then stabbed the open wound with her foil.  It ceased screaming.
They burned the body and then buried the remains.   They exchanged tales.  The hooded man said his name was Thorn, and he went to claim the bounty on the White Witch.   He was relieved that the other two  didn’t want the reward.   They would be fine helpers.

They followed the river to the wall, the official boundary of the Barony of Osil.  The wall was thigh high, it was more symbolic than a defense.  The power of Bresis used to keep the beast men and the forest creatures out.  But the wall  now had many breaches.

Thorn stepped over the small stone structure.  He was immediately set upon by Firestarters.   The three tiny fairies tried to land on his staff.   The three smacked them around and finally Thorn doused them with water from his water skin.   They went to the river to refill the skins.

After many hours they encountered two people roasting fish by tributary of the river.   They had to cross this water to continue.  The two odd men were dressed  in bizarre clothes.  They wanted to trade.   Luna offered some copper coins, and was given some roasted meat on a stick.  Van Hoger was given a faulty wooden die.  Thorn traded some coins for a shoe.  Just one shoe. And it didn’t fit.

They then asked for a ride in their boat across the river.   They traded some of their food rations.  They were pleased by this.  The boat moved by what Van Hoger called machinery. He said it was not magic but artifice. 
They continued trekking.  They were started  and pushed to the ground by a woman.  She was one of the legendary Mavens,  the virgin warrior women who roamed Finvarria hunting the dreaded Chaos Dragons.  She protected them from the Dragon’s shadow with her cloak.   She mocked them for being so careless.    She pointed out how the trees were now twisted and would never bear edible fruits again.  She urged them to go home, beyond the wall.   She left them as suddenly as she came.
The three realized building a fire in the woods would be like lighting a beacon to all the Night Terrors.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #22 - May 13th, 2017 at 10:59am

Brack was torn from his sleep by a loud shrieking.  He looked and a giant was raging.  He knew giants,   giants were never a good thing.  This one was different.  It had tentacles.  It turned its head around and whipped its spiky tentacles at Brack.   Brack did was Brack aways does, he picked up things and hit it.

Drak was following the Chaos Dragon for days.  No food, no sleep.  He was given the job to purify the marsh.  To cleanse the Mucklands from the taint of chaos.  He saw the afflicted from a distance. It was engaged with a barbarian. Drak fired arrows into the afflicted’s neck.  Between Drak’s arrows, and Bracks bludgeon’s, the poor chaos ridded human was killed.

The creature’s shrieking roused Luna, Thorn, and Van Koger.  They rushed but the battle was over.  Last to show was Winston.  He was a local blacksmith from a nearby village.  He explained that a family from his village was caught in the shadow of the dragon.  They were afflicted.  He sought to do the merciful thing, put them down.   Drak was pleased to have someone share his mission.

They looked for the family’s wagon.  They heard a baby crying.  They found a troll sitting by the overturned wagon eating an afflicted child.   Its other hand was the infant.  It was gasping and seemed to have gills and a tail.
Brack rushed and bashed it with a rock.   Van Kroger chopped its hand from its wrist, catching the baby.   Drak circled around and hit the troll with a volley of arrows.   Thorn broke his weapons on the troll’s thick hide.
Winston hit it with his hammer.  Brack had an idea.  This was scary, because when Brack has an idea, things tend to break.  He picked up Winston and smashed the troll with him.  Both Winston and the troll were hurt.   The troll lashed out and hit Brack clear across the clearing.  It then regrew its claw and smashed Thorn aside as well.
Luna came and sang it to sleep.  Her invocation to Selenae was as sweet as moonlight and the lullaby put the monster to sleep.  Drak took this opportunity to shoot two arrows into the troll’s eyes.  It screamed and lashed out.
Thorn then shot two more arrows into the arrows already there pinning the troll’s head to the wagon.   The troll tore itself from the wagon, but was beaten down by Winston, Thorn, and Brack.

It was damaged so badly it turned to stone, as trolls do when on the verge of death.

Winston said he needed to find the rest of the family, to see if they are ok.   They headed off in the direction of the hoof prints.   They determined that it was three animals they were following.   
They passed the carcass of a chaos tainted bear.
Winston saw the mother of the children riding a six legged pony.  Both were chaos afflicted.
They were bound by flesh, and the pony had antlers. Its ribs were spread out and sharp.  Winston smashed it with his hammer, the beast slashed him with its ribs.
Drak and Brack attacked, killing the creature.   They buried it in the muck.

Since they were close to Winston’s home, they stayed to rest.   Winston took off Bracks slave collar, and forged Drak metal shafted arrows.
Luna preached and healed.   Van Kroger was eager to go back on the trail of the White Witch.

Winston noticed strange mushrooms growing on the grave of the wife.   He dug up the body and it was growing tendrils.   They had to burn the corpse.  They went back to the carcass of the bear, and it was growing bone spurs and the flies feeding on it mutated.   Thorn set them on fire with his fire staff.   They burnt the carcasses.

They went to seek out the Troll but it was gone.  They burned the body of the dead infant.    They decided to head off to the White Witch’s lair.
They found six dwarves heads, the same dwarven heads that were formerly attached to the Giant Slayers who left in search of the Witch last fall.
When they got too close, all the heads spoke, “Turn back.”   

Of course they ignored them.   

And of course their headless bodies arose from shallow graves to insist…

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print