Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dominique's House Rules, Mods, etc. (Read 10075 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Dominique's House Rules, Mods, etc.
Apr 21st, 2009 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Basically I'll be posting power variations and new powers/abilities I've used. Feel free to post your own modifications.

Powers

Optional Rule - Pushing Powers

Pushing Powers: Characters may push the effectiveness of powers (increased damage, range, carrying capacity, etc.) by 50% at double the normal PR cost.

Example: Powerhouse is desperately trying to free a woman trapped under debris, from a fallen building. Normally his carrying capacity wouldn’t allow him to lift up the steel beam pinning her trapping her in the building. He expends double the normal of endurance/power required, allowing him to exceed him normal limits by 50%, and he successfully lifts the beam, freeing the grateful citizen.

Awareness: The character is aware of information that would not normally be known through conventional methods. Some examples include knowing how many pages are in a book without reading it; knowing how many jelly beans are in a jar; knowing which switch turns on a complex computer system; knowing where a specific office is located in a building he’s never been in before; etc. The exact limits of the power must be worked out with the GM.

Base/HQ: The character has a base or headquarters. The base is equipped with 1d4 special features. Additional features may be incorporated into the structure using the standard inventing points rules.

Body Power:
- Lack of Weakness: The character is immune to the affects of Weakness Detection.

- Heightened Immune System: The character is extremely resistant to the affects of diseases and poisons. When used as a defense, it defends as Willpower.

- Heightened Recovery: You recover Power at twice the normal recovery rate.

- Heightened Reflexes: The character receives a 3d10 Initiative Bonus

- Retarded Aging: You age at a much slower rate than others.

- Hardened Defenses: The character is resistant to the effects Drains and Absorption.

- Heightened Stamina: 2x your normal Power

Gadgets

A) The character has a device, or devices, that simulate 1d6+2 powers. The maximum number of uses/charges would be limited to 2d4 charges per day, per device . Additional devices can be created/constructed by using the standard inventing procedures.

B) Gadgeteer: The Character is a mechanical/scientific genius, who's capable of creating/manufacturing 1d6 single use devices per day. The devices can be used to simulate powers, or any other function the player can reasonably justify to the GM.

Gadgets A would allow you to construct a utility belt, trick arrows, etc. Gadgets B would allow you to play a character like Gizmo, or Hank Pym of the Avengers.

Heightened Senses: Combat Sense - Functions as a combination of Heightened Attack and Heightened Defense, giving bonuses to accuracy, damage, and defense. The character receives an initial bonus of +1 to hit, +1 damage, and a -1 to be hit. The character will receive and additional +1 or -1 bonus that can be added or deducted from his accuracy, damage, or defense, per level. The defense bonus only applies while the character is conscious and mobile.

Example: Battlemaster has is a 1st level character w/Combat Sense. He initially receives +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and -1 to be hit. At 2nd level, he gets an additional point, and uses it to increase his accuracy. So, now he’s got a +1 damage modifier, +2 accuracy, and -1 to be hit.

Magic Spells - The maximum number of spells a character my have is = to his INT score.

Another variant I've considered using is based on the "Power Pool" concept from Champions. Instead of having a specified list of spells to choose from, the character would basically be allowed to come up with spells on the fly. As long as he could reasonably articulate what he wants to do to the GM, and has the power available to cast the spells, he could do it. Although, I'd place several restrictions on this version to keep it from getting out of hand, and I'd also have the GM set the power requirements for the actual spells. But I think it's simulate some of the things I've seen Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate pull off.

Here's a few spells I thought up, and figured some you guys might like to use them.

Inferno: On a successful attack role, the target is completely engulfed in mystical flames, which will continue to burn until extinguished, the spell caster is killed, or otherwise incapacitated. Attacks as Flame Power doing 1d12 damage per turn. Range is equal to Intelligence + Endurance. PR=8 per turn maintained.

Fireball: Attacks as Flame Control doing 1d12 damage. Range is equal to Intelligence + Endurance. PR=3 per an attack.

Sphere of Protection: Creates a mystical barrier that completely surrounds the caster. Defends as Force field. PR=1 per square inch covered by the sphere, +1 per 2 points of damage repulsed. The maximum area that can be covered is per the Force Field rules in the rule book.

The Eagle’s Claw: Attacks as Natural Weaponry for HTH+1d6 damage. R=INT x 2, PR=1

Spirit Drain: Victim is affected as though they were hit with a Devitalization Ray attack. R=INT x 2, PR=3

Iron Will: Allows the spellcaster to defend against mystical and psionic attacks as though they had Willpower (A). R = Self, PR=2 per turn.

Banshee’s Wale: Attacks as a Sonic attack inflicting 1d12 damage. PR=2, R= INT x 2

Acid Rain: Menacing looking dark clouds rapidly form, before releasing a highly corrosive rain storm on the victim. Attacks as Chemical Power.2d8 damage, R=INT+END, PR=4

Aura of Fear: Attacks as Emotion Control/Fear, the spell caster generates an aura that will cause those coming into contact with it, to recoil in fear. R=CHRx2, Max area affected = Power/2”, PR=2 per turn.

Command: Attacks as Mind Control. The spellcaster may issue a specific verbal command such as “Run away”, attack your friend, etc. The victim must save vs. INT, or will be forced to comply with the spellcaster’s wishes. R=CHRx2, PR=12

Enrage: Attacks as Emotion Control. Area affected = CHR”. Anyone in the affected area must save vs. INT or, become enraged, attacking both friend and foe alike, until they either make successful save, or be come exhausted. R=INT+ENDx2, PR=20

Jaylyn’s Merciful Touch: The spell caster is capable of mystically healing the wounds of anyone he lays hands on. The spellcaster must be in direct physical contact with the person he is attempting to heal, and must do nothing else for one full turn. If successful, the spell will heal 3d10 points of damage. R=Touch, PR=8

Jaylyn’s Healing Slumber: Allows the spellcaster to slip into a coma like state. While in this state, the spell caster will heal wounds and recover power at an accelerated rate. They’ll recover HP, at their standard rate, each hour, instead of per day. While in this state, the spellcaster is completely defenseless. PR=15.

Mirror Image
: This spell creates a mirror image of the spellcaster. Treat as Illusions (A). R=INTx2, PR=2+1 per each additional image created. 

Mystic Bolt: Attack as Power Blast, 1d20 damage, R=ENDx2, PR=3

Sleep: Attacks as Mind Control. Victim must save vs. INT on d100 or sleep for 1d8 hrs. R=INT, PR=10

Steel Skin: The spellcaster’s skin becomes impervious to harm. The spellcaster is treated as though thy had 30 points of Invulnerability. R=Self, PR=8 per turn.

Thunderclap
: When the spellcaster claps his hands, a massive sonic boom is created. Attacks as Sonic Abilities. 1d12 damage, R=END, PR=3

Tokor’s Mighty Fist: A giant mystical fist forms from the ether, allowing the spellcaster to strike his enemies from afar. Attacks as Force Field. 1d12 damage, R=ENDx2, PR=2

Nauseate: The character has the ability to induce nausea in others (either mentally, through some sort of physical means). Nauseate attacks as Emotion Control and follows the same rules (see p. 12) with the following modifications. Range = Intelligence, PR=4 per successful attack. Affected characters are at -4 on all of their attack rolls.

Heightened Mental Abilities: The character has 1d4+2 special abilities from the following list:

- Photographic Memory
- Sense of Direction: You always know what direction you’re traveling in.
- Absolute Sense of Time: You always know what time it is and how much time has passed.
- Speed Reader
- Universal Translator
- Lightning Calculator

Perks: The character has 1d4+2 Perks, chosen form the list below.

- Ally: The character can call on a powerful ally (the FBI, the military, etc.) for help.
- Advantageous Background:
(A) Wealthy: The character is filthy rich (think Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark rich)
(B) Famous: Adds to the character’s Public Standing
- Contacts: The character has contacts in the business world, underworld, government, etc. that provide him with information.
- Diplomatic Immunity: Because of the character’s status (ambassador, prince, etc.), he’s is immune from criminal prosecution.
- Servant: The character employees a servant
- Security Clearance: The character has access to secret/classified information.

Weakness Detection: The character receives a +4 damage bonus instead of an accuracy/attack bonus.

New Weaknesses

Cursed: Simply put, the universe hates this character. For whatever reason, the character suffers one calamity after another, his whole life being one long run of lousy luck. The cosmos doesn’t want him dead, it wants him to suffer. The specifics are left up to the individual GM and player to work out.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:00pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: D's house rules, mods, etc.
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Wow, great list.  Its a lot to absorb.   And since I have been on a magic kick,  your list of spells is great. 

Can you elaborate more on pushing powers?  I mean, could you just let a guy spend 10 power points and do 10d20 with a power blast?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 5:19pm:
Can you elaborate more on pushing powers?  I mean, could you just let a guy spend 10 power points and do 10d20 with a power blast?

Nope, the maximum I'd let anyone push his power, was 50% increase in effectiveness, for 2x the power. So if you normally do 1d20 damage, and you push it, you'd increase the damage rolled by 50%. So if you've declared you're pushing your Power Blast, and roll an 11 for damage, you'd increase the damage by 6 points (5.5 rounded up), for a total of 17 points of damage.

If you want to tinker with some mechanic for increasing effectiveness even higher, feel free. I personally feel that after certain point you should start taking HP to boost your power levels, as that's the way it's usually depicted in comics.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I have a  booting rule in my house rules,   here is a cut and paste

Overexertion:   Any character can overexert themselves.  This means they can lift more, or fly faster, or teleport farther etc. They do this by spending 1 extra power point per boost of 5% added to what ever they are doing.  Ex: Meta Man needs to lift the car to save a baby. He is not strong enough so he spends 50 power and overexerts himself.  His normal carrying capacity is 1000lbs, but right now, for this action only it is increased by 250%!  He lifts that car and saves the day. However, as he can not usually carry this much, he suffers damage.  You take the extra weight, subtract it from the normal carrying capacity of the character and you look up the damage he takes on the brawling weapons chart.  In my example above Meta Man lifted 2500lbs when he could only normally lift 1000.  So his body suffers as if he was hit with a brawling weapon of 1500lbs.  This means he takes 1d10 damage. But he is a hero and that is a small price to pay for saving the baby.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Yep, it makes sense to me, the example is pretty clear.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I've got some info on how I handle skills floating around on my old hard drive, if you're interested, I'll post it.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I would be very interested in this.   Skills are the biggest thing that V&V lacked.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I'll dig the stuff out, polish up a bit, and post it here. If you've got questions about how it works, feel free to ask. I've also got a couple of power variations (Scientific Genius/Mechanical Genius) that modify your ability to learn/apply skills, so I'll be posting them too.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Skills

The maximum number of skill’s a character can learn is limited to his Int score, unless he has some type of special abilities/powers. So a character with an Int of 12, would be able to have twelve skills.

Skill Rolls
Base % chance = 70% + 3% per the appropriate attribute score over 11 - any difficulty modifiers. Training in a skill adds 5% per level.

Example: Doc Mayhem has the Robotics skill. His base % chance for performing a skill is 70%. His Intelligence score is 23 (the attribute the skill is based on) , or 12 points over the minimum, so he receives a bonus (12 x 3 = 36, or a 36% bonus for his INT). 70% (his base %) + 36% (his bonus) = 106% chance to perform any Robotics related task, minus any difficulty modifiers the GM applies.

----- Skill List -----

Area Knowledge
Accuracy: +1 to hit
Animal Handling
Civics
Climbing
Computers
Crime
Disguise
Driving
Electronics
Escape Artist
Espionage
Explosives
Fast Talk
Gambling
Interrogation
Investigation
Firearms
Knowledge
- Business
- Civics
- Criminology
- Occultism
- Philosophy
- Politics
- Psychology
- Religion (pretty much anything you can think of)
Language
Mechanic
Medicine
Navigation
Parachuting
Performing Arts
Pilot
Profession
- Fire Fighter
- Law Enforcement
- Soldier (a few common examples from comics)
Science
- Cybernetics
- Robotics (just two examples)
SCUBA Diving
Stealth
Street Wise
Survival
Swimming
Tactics
Tracking - 3% per hour since the initial trail was made. -5% per hour for each hour of rain/snow that has fallen.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2009 at 7:37pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Cool rule.  Its pretty easy with the minimum of accounting.   Those are the two rules for me,  easy and less to keep track of.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
Cool rule.  Its pretty easy with the minimum of accounting.   Those are the two rules for me,  easy and less to keep track of.

V&V, is pretty simple, and from everything I've read, Jeff and Jack intended it to be that way. Most of the math work is done in character creation, with the rest of the game being pretty free flowing. I figure I'd take a cue from them, and just give the Skills enough detail that players and GMs could work out specifics themselves, and basically go with whatever fits their specific style of play.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2009 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
And here's some more material, including the full description of my Gadgets power, that got cut off last time I posted it.

Notes on Powers

Replace Bionics with Cybernetics.
Replace Lightning Control with Electrical Control
Machine Control is now a separate power
Replace Natural Weaponry on the Skills table with Martial Arts.
Replace Speed Bonus with Heightened Speed
Replace Heightened Speed with Super Speed
Replace Sonic Abilities with Sound Control.
Replace Illusions (B) with Energy Constructs

More New Powers

Air Control: Air Powers allow the character to control the winds, air currents, and air pressure, allowing him to generate strong blasts of wind, create a wall of air, or fly.

Strong blasts of winds can be crated and fired at a target inflicting concussive force damage. This attack is capable of knocking things over or knocking an opponent back through the air (save v. Agility). Range = Ex2, Maximum area affected is a sphere equal to E x 2 x level. Attacks as Weather Control. PR=3 per an attack. 1d12 damage. When used a  defense, it defends as Weather Control.

ESP - Extra Sensory Perception

01-45 Clairaudience
46-90 Clairvoyance
91-00 Both abilities

A) Clairaudience: The character has the ability to “hear” and understand sounds and events at great distances without actually being there. Base range = I x E in inches. PR= 1 per turn. The maximum range can be increased by a factor of 10 for each additional Power point expended

B) Clairvoyance: works exactly the same as Clairaudience above, but the user can "see" what’s happening at a particular location.
Healing: You can heal the physical damage of others. PR = 2 x the number of Hit Points healed.

Heightened Expertise: Skills - The character is an expert in 1d6+2 skills. Minimum skill roll is 95% in these skills.

Luck: You are extremely lucky.

(A) You receive +4 to all die rolls.
(B) The character 50/50 chance of successfully performing any skill whether they have been formally trained in the skill or not.
(C) Any other suitable bonus the player(s) and GM can agree on.

Probability Control: You have the ability to alter the outcome of certain events. For every 2 Power the character channels into this ability, he can alter a die roll by +1 or -1, R = Intelligence + Endurance/2. The specific effects of the roll are left up to the player and GM to work out.

** Note ** The following info on weight and Basic Hits were posted on the old V&V boards, and I liked them. So like any good GM, I stole the ideas, and made them my own. Cheesy

Weight - When determining a character’s weight use the following 

Males: Roll 1d10 x 10 + 150
Females: 1d10 x 5 + 100

Basic Hits - Use the following table when determining the character’s Basic Hits

Basic Hits Modification Table

100 lbs. = 2.0 basic hits
110 lbs. = 2.2 basic hits
120 lbs. = 2.4 basic hits
130 lbs. = 2.6 basic hits
140 lbs. = 2.8 basic hits
150 lbs. = 3.0 basic hits
160 lbs. = 3.2 basic hits
170 lbs. = 3.4 basic hits
180 lbs. = 3.6 basic hits
190 lbs. = 3.8 basic hits
200 lbs. = 4.0 basic hits
Etc.

Defense Bonus: This is the character’s ability to “dodge” attacks. It’s based on the characters Agility score. To determine a character’s Defense Bonus, go to the Agility table listed in the basic rule book. Find the corresponding number, and use the number listed in the “Accuracy” column as his Defense Bonus. The character’s Defense Bonus only applies while he’s conscious and mobile.

Perception: Replaces Detect Hidden
Intuition: Replaces Detect Danger

Public Standing: Replaces Reactions from Good/Evil. Charisma bonuses apply.

Optional Rule - Leaping

All characters have a base forward leap of 1" per 5 points of Strength. Characters can leap straight up 1" for every 10 points of Strength. Leaping costs only movement (no power cost). This option was inspired by the leaping rules found in the Champions RPG. - Tim Hartman

Optional Rule - Mental Initiative

For purely mental tasks, Initiative would be based on Intelligence + Charisma/2. The reason I'm throwing Charisma into the mix is because it's also supposed to represent your force of personality. So a character with a really high Charisma (basically his shear presence) may cause someone to hesitate at a crucial moment.

If any of you guys make use of this stuff, let me know how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:17pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I love that gadjets power.  Do you mind if I incorporate it into my game?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 7:21pm:
I love that gadjets power.  Do you mind if I incorporate it into my game?

Nope...feel free to use anything you want from the list. I'd just like to hear how it works out for you, as I've only used it once myself, and that was for a villain. I'd really like to know how players, and other GMs are making use of it in their games.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I went back and added a couple of powers I left out, and a second version of the Luck power, I had in a different file. One of these days I really need to consolidate all this stuff into one file.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #15 - May 4th, 2009 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 2:23pm:
Luck power

Having nasty flasbacks to an encounter vs The Talisman. That was just a sad sad day....

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2009 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I'd really like to hear what you guys think of my probability control power, as I have yet to actually use it in a game. Does it sound workable to you guys?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I use luck like this; each turn the player rolls 1d6.  He can use the number rolled as bonus for any die roll that turn.  His choice.  So sometimes he has good luck +6, sometimes only +1.  Roll for new luck between turns.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #18 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 8:03pm:
probability control power

Sounds a lot like John's Karma power. I'll let him explain it since i'm tired Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2009 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 9:27pm:
dsumner wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 8:03pm:
probability control power

Sounds a lot like John's Karma power. I'll let him explain it since i'm tired Smiley

So, when do I get to take a peak at this power's write-up?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2009 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I stole the idea from some Dungeons and Dragon's forum years ago.  It works like this:

Karma:   This is something ONLY player characters can use.   For every 100 experience points a character spends, they can affect a percentile die roll by 5 % and normal roles by 1 die point.   To use this, they tell the GM the desired roll, and then they deduct the experience points and then roll vs. Charisma to see if it worked.  If the d20 is equal or lower then the player’s charisma, then the karma is successful.  If the roll is above the player’s charisma, they lost the experience. If the roll is ten above the player’s charisma, it is bad Karma and the opponent gets the bonus.  If a player rolls a 20 on a karma roll, then they loose a charisma point.  Karma is the only die roll a player cannot  use karma on.  Ex: Mega Man needs a 10 to hit, he rolls a 12 so he spends the karma, successfully rolls under his Charisma and lowers that die roll to a 10. The already deducted 200 experience points were worth it! Or : Mega Man really wants a knockout, he rolls a 20 on a knockout role but wants to lower it to a 5. He needs three Karma points to lower the percentage by 15%. He deducts the 300 experience, rolls against his Charisma, passes that role and hopes the 5 is a good enough knockout role.)

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Recognizing that I've modified the game extensively, especially in terms of combat, I find your pushing rules to be interesting.  I have a similar mechanic in place for combat, where you can get a bonus to hit for light shot (like a jab, essentially) -- you get a bonus to hit, but you do half-damage.  There's the standard, bread and butter shot (no mods either way) and then there's a haymaker, a power-shot where you take a penalty to hit, but you double your damage, albeit with a ceiling of your normal maximum damage.  This gives you a bit more movement on the bell-curve and lets you see the tails more, but doesn't break things in terms of going out of your power-range too much.  And it also lets players safely not worry about that stuff if they don't want to -- if someone wants to stick with the bread-and-butter, he or she can, as it remains the default setting.

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:07am
Print Post  
John wrote on May 9th, 2009 at 7:14pm:
I stole the idea from some Dungeons and Dragon's forum years ago.  It works like this:

Karma:   This is something ONLY player characters can use.   For every 100 experience points a character spends, they can affect a percentile die roll by 5 % and normal roles by 1 die point.   To use this, they tell the GM the desired roll, and then they deduct the experience points and then roll vs. Charisma to see if it worked.  If the d20 is equal or lower then the player’s charisma, then the karma is successful.  If the roll is above the player’s charisma, they lost the experience. If the roll is ten above the player’s charisma, it is bad Karma and the opponent gets the bonus.  If a player rolls a 20 on a karma roll, then they loose a charisma point.  Karma is the only die roll a player cannot  use karma on.  Ex: Mega Man needs a 10 to hit, he rolls a 12 so he spends the karma, successfully rolls under his Charisma and lowers that die roll to a 10. The already deducted 200 experience points were worth it! Or : Mega Man really wants a knockout, he rolls a 20 on a knockout role but wants to lower it to a 5. He needs three Karma points to lower the percentage by 15%. He deducts the 300 experience, rolls against his Charisma, passes that role and hopes the 5 is a good enough knockout role.)

I've made a couple of similar metapowers (I have to dig up my doc file to get the specifics), where you have a floating pool of points that you can use to enhance or penalize rolls.

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Does anyone else use Inventing Points for hints?  I allow each player a 'hint' per session per IP they normally get per level.  It's hard to quantify the scope of a hint, obviously -- it's a bit of a mushy term.  But I find it helps the high-Int characters play a truly high Int.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Does anyone else use Inventing Points for hints?  I allow each player a 'hint' per session per IP they normally get per level.  It's hard to quantify the scope of a hint, obviously -- it's a bit of a mushy term.  But I find it helps the high-Int characters play a truly high Int.

I use inventing points for "hunches".   IP's are pretty much  brilliant ideas yet to be realised.   Your brilliant idea can be a hunch, hint,  guess, skill, invention, new spell,  learn a language or what ever you can successfully argue for.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Cellular Disruption: Your touch disrupts organic matter. Basically a modified version of Death Touch. R = Touch, 1d20 damage, PR=3

Damage Resistance
: The character particularly resistant to certain types of damage, and takes ½ damage from one particular type of damage, either physical, energy (heat, electricity, radiation, etc), chemical, mental/psionic, or magical attacks.

Deflection: The character is capable of deflecting physical and energy based attacks away from himself. The character is capable of deflecting AGL/2 number of attacks each turn. To successfully block the attack, the character must save vs. AGL on a d20. For each successive attempt to deflect an attack, the character receives a -1. GMs may also wish to allow characters to use this power at a distance (exp. Capt. Americas’s shield). Deflecting an attack costs only movement.

Drain:

(A) Power: Works like Devitalization Ray. Drains 3d6 Power, R=Touch
(B) Characteristics: Works like Devitalization Ray, but usable on characteristics. You can drain one 1d6 worth of a particular characteristic. The drained characteristic points return at the character’s normal healing rate.

Lack of Weakness: The character is immune to the affects of Weakness Detection.

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #26 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I see the cellular disruption almost being like a reversed vibratory power. Instead of vibrating oneself (as a defense, or an attack, or to pass through walls, etc.) you vibrate the material instead. Or if someone has both vibratory and death touch, maybe they can train to combine the two and get something like cellular disruption as you list it but adding in more dmg from the vibratory effect.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:49am
Print Post  

dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:22pm:
Cellular Disruption

My mobile phone gets this all the time. Cheesy
Seriously, a real impressive and comprehensive list!

Lack of Weakness is really interesting.

I'm contemplating a modification for Stretching Powers:
The character may increase his chance to hit by enlarging his hands, but each +1 to hit gives a -1 to damage.
Maximum of +4/-4.
PR=1 per use, like Stretching Powers defense.

This is meant to simulate Reed Richards making his hands huge to catch or contain something.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:50am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:49am:
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:22pm:
Cellular Disruption

My mobile phone gets this all the time. Cheesy
Seriously, a real impressive and comprehensive list!

The character may increase his chance to hit by enlarging his hands, but each +1 to hit gives a -1 to damage.
Maximum of +4/-4.

This is meant to simulate Reed Richards making his hands huge to catch or contain something.

I love your stretching rule.  It answers so many questions I have had with the power in the past.  Simple and elegant!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:49am:

Maximum of +4/-4.

Actually this gives me an idea on how to write-up Reed Richards.  Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #30 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Energy Conversion: The character can convert one type of energy into another (Sound into light).

Energy Field/Damage Field: The character radiates a field of energy from his body capable of inflicting 1d12 damage to any object coming in contact with it. Attacks as Force Field, 1d12 damage, PR=1 per turn.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Hmm I like Energy conversion.  How about  say kinetic energy to  light?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #32 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 7:16pm:
Hmm I like Energy conversion.  How about  say kinetic energy to  light?

I figure it'll allow you to do characters like Dazzler.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #33 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 5:55pm:
Actually this gives me an idea on how to write-up Reed Richards.  Cool

Writing up Richards is how I came up with it! FF sheets coming soon. But I'd like to see yours too, of course.

IP Logged

>