Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why'd you pick up V&V? (Read 15597 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Why'd you pick up V&V?
May 3rd, 2009 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Simple question, what attracted you to V&V to begin with? And why have you stuck with it so long?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Why'd you pick up V&V?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Well I played because  John Q Hoplite of this very board taught me to play.  He was my first GM, where I rolled up the Vigilante that I talked about in the Heroes roll call thread.   Funny, his first character was also a Punisher rip off called the Eliminator.

After he taught me the basics I was hooked.  I took the game and ran with it.  Been playing it pretty much since it came out.  I tried Aberrent a few times, but the GMs all transfered everything over to V&V rule system.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Bumping this back up, as I'd like to hear what our newer members have to say.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Why'd you pick up V&V?
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
What attracted you to this game to begin with, and what keeps you hanging around?

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
My friends and I had already tried adapting D&D into a supes game, so the original V&V was a perfect fit for us. When we saw the Dragon magazine ad featuring Skyhawk, we knew we had to get the new rules! The Dee-licious art was irressitable. And my little hoodlum friends and I so amazed that the revised rules included weaknesses!

Our only complaint was that the character generation rules were too random. And we wuz all too young to take it upon ourselves to customize the system.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:48am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
John, can you merge this with the other thread?

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I think what keeps me hanging around is:

- love of superhero comic books

- the deceptive simplicity of the rules (a minute to learn, a lifetime to master)

- nostalgia of great games gone past

- great modules

- ease of GM-ing. I mean it's the only game I can recall that everyone in the game group ran at one time or another. I once played in 4 regular campaigns and ran a fifth... simultaneously.

- messboards like this

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:26pm:
John, can you merge this with the other thread? 

I didn't realise I had that superpower.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I had been playing AD&D (Greyhawk Campaign) for a long time. Any AD&Der worth their weight bought Dragon Magazine. So...

I saw the ad for Villains and Vigilantes in a Dragon Magazine.
The one with Magnetor.
The image and design grabbed me.
So I ordered the box set.

When I first got it... it was a breeze, character creation was easy, powers were descriptive and simple enough to understand, movement, velocity all of that...

Until play.

Then I hit a wall... why you might ask?
Well I had been a DM for a long time. Using the TSR rules of combat and all.

I COULD NOT WRAP MY MIND AROUND REVERSING THE D20!!!
LOL

You know... 20 in AD&D is a serious hit... 1 is an absolute miss!
In this game... 1 was an absolute hit... and 20 was a serious miss!

It was like forcing myself to be dyslexic...
I did... then it became a no-brainer.

I was hooked.
The reason I stick with it?

It is an easy game... why change a good thing?
I tried Champions... sorry... lame!
Superworld...
Mutants and Masterminds...
Hero...
and virtually all the rest...
It always... ALWAYS lead back to V&V... because it is still the best system.
It has a managable world (if you want to take the effort).
It also does not need anything than just the rulebook (Some of the add on rules such as Knock Back are good to have. Underwater Combat). But otherwise...
B R E E Z E !

What more can I possibly say?

G&
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:58pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I also tried City of Heroes... hoping it would be more than what it was...
Gorgeous world mind you... but I could get a similar kind of gameplay off my playstation.

yeah... thousands of heroes running around... but nothing was truely ever accomplished in the game (which probably after all my years of REAL gaming... had spoiled me), So I quit wasting money on it.

There is nothing... absolutely nothing... like RPGing... you can't get it in a video game. No matter how hard you try. Because the next day you can go back and play it all over again. Same scenario over and over endlessly. You never have that accomplished feeling of... I beat him... he's down... his base is destroyed... and if he is coming back... he better have another plan!

Because that is what happens during missions in a REAL rpg.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:44pm:
- the deceptive simplicity of the rules (a minute to learn, a lifetime to master)

This got my attention. There has got to be a good story behind this deceptively simple statement. I'd luv to hear an elaboration if you'd be up for it! From da sound of things, you are a celebrity in deez woods, after all!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:39pm:
There has got to be a good story behind this deceptively simple statement. I'd luv to hear an elaboration if you'd be up for it! 

No great story behind it. Just that you can learn the rules quick. Roll up a character in minutes but still, at my advanced age, be learning new things about the game and pondering heady issues like: Will stat or no Will stat, power balance, random vs. generated, etc.
Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Same basic stuff here, started off hardcore AD&D, saw the adds in Dragon Magazine, I liked comics, looked cool, so I ordered the boxed set.  Hooked every since.  We played the heck out of it, I can remember some almost 24 hour sessions during the summer in high school.  Ah, those were the days!  I was seriously into Champions for awhile, the deceptive balance of points systems... it was just way to complicated to keep track of everything.  V&V captures the essence of comics without beating you over the head with the rules... Mutant Power, Psionics, etc... make your own power.  I have been out of gaming, other than computer games for almost 20 years, but it's definitely like riding a bicycle.  I've been a member of the V&V yahoo group for sometime, but the only thing I ever felt a part of there was when we tried the COH crossover... It was a lot of fun, but as you say, nothing compares to the actual game, the human interaction.  It has been great playing with my kids, I'm spending quality time with them, teaching them values (no you can not play a villain, no, you can not stab him in the back, would you really want to kill someone? Getting them to understand what it is to stand up for what's right, and that doing the wrong things have consequences, in the game as in life...), and we're having fun!

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Started with AD&D as well. I went to my FLAGS and asked if there was something else I could play that they would suggest. Something fairly easy to pick up (because I was planning on GMing my brothers and one was under 10 at the time).

So he pointed me at the Supers section which struck a cord and then suggested V&V for simplicity and because it was "fun" (as opposed to Champions and Superworld, never tried the last one). It was the cheapest one to boot.

So it went. I never really bought comics until that point (because I didn't have much of an allowance). It suggested that I went to the corner store and bought comics for inspiration. First comic I bought was Alpha Flight. I was hooked.

I had a blast.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Me and my friends were into role-playing games in high school, and me and my best friend loved comics.  We played some other games (Top Secret, Gamma World) and I'd played some D&D, but we wanted to try out a supers game.

We went into a small gaming and comics store, and we saw V&V for the first time.  Champions was the other possibility, but to us the choice was a no-brainer, as V&V had tons of amazing art by Jeff Dee and Bill Willingham and Champions was gray, full of charts, and boring looking.

We fell in love with it and played it a ton, sometimes every day.  We spent hundreds of hours making character sheets and markers, converting many comics heroes (mostly Marvel) and incorporating them into our campaign.

In the late 80's I fell away from the game for a few years, but one time while on vacation in 1990 with my brother and brother-in-law (who used to play in the mid 80's), we got a bug and wanted to play again.  We recruited my wife's cousin, jumped in our cars (we were hours away from home), raced home, picked up the game again and started up a new campaign (which is now still going nearly 19 years later, though the other three dropped after a few years).

It's simplicity, elegance, ease of character creation, quick combat system, open ended powers desciptions (for many powers), beautiful artwork, great markers, fun modules, and outstanding supplements all make it the greatest supers game in the world!   Smiley

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
That certainly says it all and mirrors how I feel about the game (even if you compare it to all the others that have come and gone).

G7

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I love the simple style.

The chart that compared offensive attacks against defense was awesome.  I loved how the characters are different.  Champions had no flavor for me (all 10D6 Power Blasts with effect attachment)

I loved how the battles could be fast and furious or long and drawn out, either way they were great.

I loved how Random Generation could create a beloved character I would never have thought of without it.

I loved the artwork and the modules

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I started out playing D&D as most everyone. My brother is 10 years older than me and was gaming for years before I even thought about getting into gaming. He got married and moved far off at 19 and I was 9. Didn't see him again till i was like 13. My dad was military and we were overseas. I had tinkered with D&D as I said around that time at 13ish. When we came back state side my brother came to visit and since we had talked on the phone about D&D and things he brought his V&V boxed set with him.

I rolled a toon and was hooked from then on. I bought it myself around 16 and my friends and I played for a few years off and on until my brother moved back to the area when I was 18. I'm 34 now and we keep a continual V&V campaign going at all times amnog other games. We currently try to get together for a session about once a week.

The system is so easy to grasp. To me books and booka of rules and add ons just bogs down the game. Time I could be duking it out with super villains instead of reading through rules.
I do use characters and scenarios from other systems, but it's always a breeze to quickly convert things to V&V and how I like em.

IP Logged

Paul Sunderland
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:07am
Print Post  
One word...ELEMENTALS.  I picked up the first issue on its release and loved it.  As the story progressed I realised this was probably my favourite book at the time.  Then I found out it was also an RPG adventure.  Scoured high and low for it and eventually bought Death Duel and the box set in one hit.  Loved the adventure as much as I loved the comic.

For me V&V has the same flavour as my other favourite RPG (Warhammer first edition).  It is a simple enough system to grasp the basics quickly and places its emphasis on storytelling.  I can't stand rules heavy systems that just seem to get in the way of story flow (which put me off Champions completely).  Plus it's all there in one book.  A solid reading session and you're ready to go.

And then there's the price.  Let's not forget how good the pricing was/is on all the books.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I was playing D&D like everyone else and was a comic book junkie. When I saw it in the comic shop, we took it home and dad ran it that next weekend.
Eventually moved to Champions because I felt it was more varied/customizeable. But it is'nt easier to run by any means
trying to get the guys to try V&V again

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
  Always loved D&D 2nd version the most and still do. Basically because that's more of my Genre. I have not read a comic in several hundred years. Anyway John introduced me to V&V and for several reasons that became the game of choice. Reasons:

1. John was bigger than me.
2. John was the GM
3. Nobody else liked me due to an abrasive personality......can you believe that??

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
   Oh, I forgot. The other reason was because it is the most interesting and versatile game I ever played.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
One I forgot, I did try Champions because it was said to be more versatile.

For me, all the characters felt the same.

Like the famous Champions joke, "You have a new character, no don't tell me, let me guess: 12D6 EB and 6 PD"

While there was suppose to be all this favor added to the 12D6 EB, it really didn't translate to game play.

It didn't have the never hit problem of V&V, all characters can soak up alot of damage, a slow battle of attrition basically.

With V&V, when you connect with an attack you opponent feels it!

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
  Well when I was a kid a new book store opened up and I happened to be browsing the gaming isle. The cover of the box set (2001) jumped out at me, I'm a huge comics fan and everything else was D&D. Funny thing is I couldn't afford to buy it and never got a chance to play it. Years later I was having a similiar conversation during another super's game and he picked it up for me at his local comic shop's bargain bin.

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
  I love sitting down and hammering out characters, I prefer random roll systems, some of the best villains come from random rolls. Plus a system that allows you to throw away a power/weakness allows for just enough modification to make a fairly complete and competant villain.

IP Logged

Jeff
Sidekick

grrrr

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I was attracted to it because of the ads in Dragon magazine.  It had so much more versitility than the other games of the time that has been one of my favorites since (Runequest was my other favorite).

One thing I have noticed is that I liked the art back then (early 80's), but it seems that Jeff Dee's artwork is not as good these days.  It almost seems like a different artist today.  I wonder if any of you have noticed this as well.

In regards to why I stuck with it, well I have not really.  Have not played a RPG o any kind for a long long time.  Last time was probably 2000.  I did play it fairly actively from 82 till 2000.

Just for fun though, I am going through the rules and tweaking them.  There are a few things lacking, such as no skill system and I don't like the combat table that much, armor etc...
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:26am by Jeff »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:22am:
I was attracted to it because of the ads in Dragon magazine.  It had so much more versitility than the other games of the time that has been one of my favorites since (Runequest was my other favorite).

One thing I have noticed is that I liked the art back then (early 80's), but it seems that Jeff Dee's artwork is not as good these days.  It almost seems like a different artist today.  I wonder if any of you have noticed this as well.

In regards to why I stuck with it, well I have not really.  Have not played a RPG o any kind for a long long time.  Last time was probably 2000.  I did play it fairly actively from 82 till 2000.

Just for fun though, I am going through the rules and tweaking them.  There are a few things lacking, such as no skill system and I don't like the combat table that much, armor etc...

Myself and others have noticed as well that Jeff Dee's art doesn't seem quite as good as it used to be.  I tend to prefer his older stuff to most of his newer stuff, though he still occasionally nails an awesome piece.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:45pm:
Myself and others have noticed as well that Jeff Dee's art doesn't seem quite as good as it used to be.  I tend to prefer his older stuff to most of his newer stuff, though he still occasionally nails an awesome piece.

I prefer a lot of his older superhero material to his newer work, but his fantasy stuff is still pretty good. I especially like the "retro" covers he was doing for the various Dungeon Crawl modules.

YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #28 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Avengers, baby! 'Nuff Said!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Ahhh House of Fantasy (the game store/comic book shop I discovered V&V in), how I miss you. I would ride my bicycle in to town to browse the shelves for comics and D&D modules. One day I chanced upon the box set of V&V with it's comic book goodness artwork and promises of superhero fun inside. I was hooked, I cajoled my D&D friends to give it a try but they just didn't have the love of the superhero genre I did so it languished on the shelf. Eventually I got rid of the books. It wasn't until just a few years ago when I came across a distressed looking copy of the 2nd edition rules and once again begged some of my RPG friends to play. This time around everyone loved it (it helped that several of them had played in the past). Since then I have run several other one shot games of V&V and now have a full blown campaign started.

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I didn't pick uo V&V.

V&V picked up me!  Grin

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #31 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Back in the day, I was playing AD&D and reading 'The Dragon' and the ad for V&V caught my eye (especially the ad for kali). Once day when I was at my local hobby store, I saw some V&V supplements and flipped through them and I liked what I saw. I believe the book was the Most Wanted Vol 1 and I thought the art really caught the style of super-hero comics. I didn't buy the MWV1 (foolish me) but I found that I kept thinking about the book and its art.

The next time I was at the hobby store, I bot the V&V box set and a couple of adventures. Alas, MWV1 was already sold. I wouldn't get a copy of that until some time later. I read through the rule book and I was hooked. I would try many super-hero systems over the years, but I always found myself coming back to V&V.

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #32 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Okay, I'm kind of the odd guy out here.

I had been playing RPGs since elementary school (Gamma World 1st edition being my first RPG).  I shopped at a local comic shop back when I was in college that had a decent RPG section.  The guy behind the counter was a fun guy to talk to and ended up inviting me to play a superhero game with his group.  So I showed up, created a character, and jumped right into V&V.  I had seen the Dragon magazine ads, but never picked the game up.

Long story short, it turned out he was actually trying to pick me up, not realizing I didn't swing that way.  After things were clarified, I stuck with the group and had a blast playing V&V (the only game they played), and my best group ever ended up spawning off that group.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #33 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
When I started playing V&V, it had no competition.
There were no other super-games on hand when I bought the first edition.

As time went on, other games came and went--there were so many to try.
But I still came back to V&V, and here are the reasons why.

Power Points sealed me on the game; they were like a dream come true!
The revised rules added Hit Point Mod. My calculator likes this too.

Strength and Endurance provide the backbone for Carrying Capacity.
But Agility is the ability that has the most tenacity.

Even though it took me a year to figure out that combat chart,
There's no complaining when you're master-gaming in the midst of Jeff Dee's art!

So let's play a session of V&V: There's a Crisis at Crusader Citadel.
I've had so much fun with the adventures I've run against the Crushers (they're so formidable).

You can spend one of your Inventing Points when an emergency arises.
Yet with a five-percent chance of "unexpected" results, watch out for more surprises.

Power Blast damage is one-die-twenty; Lightning Control does two-die-eight.
Those nuanced conventions show the special attention that makes V&V so great!
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2010 at 9:01pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:51pm:
When I started playing V&V, it had no competition.
There were no other super-games on hand when I bought the first edition.

As time went on, other games came and went--there were so many to try.
But I still came back to V&V, and here are the reasons why.

Power Points sealed me on the game; they were like a dream come true!
The revised rules added Hit Point Mod. My calculator likes this too.

Strength and Endurance provide the backbone for Carrying Capacity.
But Agility is the ability that has the most tenacity.

Even though it took me a year to figure out that combat chart,
There's no complaining when you're master-gaming in the midst of Jeff Dee's art!

So let's play a session of V&V: There's a Crisis at Crusader Citadel.
I've had so much fun with the adventures I've run against the Crushers (they're so formidable).

You can spend one of your Inventing Points when an emergency arises.
Yet with a five-percent chance of "unexpected" results, watch out for more surprises.

Power Blast damage is one-die-twenty; Lightning Control does two-die-eight.
Those nuanced conventions show the special attention that makes V&V so great!

Excellently written, polarboy!  Wow - this sums up so well what I believe many of us feel.  Kudos on a well written summary!    Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>