Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1st Edition Material (Read 13060 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

1st Edition Material
May 23rd, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
In this thread I'll be posting some of the 1st edition rules I thought they should have left in the game, when they published in the second edition. First up, Character Origins.

1st edition used a table that allowed for 10 separate power origins for characters. The 10 origin types were:

1. Mutant
2. Designed
3. Sponsored
4. Homemade
5. Accidental Scientific
6. Supernatural
7. Accidental Supernatural
8. Charismatic Involvement
9. Nonpowered Adventurer
10. Extraterrestrial

The rules then go on to explain what each type of origin means, the number of powers each type is allowed, and which power table they should roll on to determine powers/abilities (there are seven separate tables listed as A-G). Each table groups certain types of powers and abilities (which are a little more organized than the lists in 2nd edition).

Character Origins

Okay, here are the explanations of the various types of character origins. While they're not retyped verbatim, they get the point across. One interesting thing about them is that a character's origin can affect his initial Charisma score.

Mutants
These characters spontaneously developed their super-powers with no apparent outside stimuli. Because they are not always accepted in human society. There's a 30% chance that a character, with this origin, will loose 1 point of Charisma

Designed
The character was given his powers by the government or scientific organization and was then set loose upon the world. He still maintains contact with his benefactors and is expected to come to their aid in crisis situations. However, he is generally allowed to handle his own affairs without supervision by his "creators."

Sponsored
Similar to the Designed character, except that he is permanently employed by his creators and they maintain a large degree of control over how he uses his powers. There's a 30% chance, per month, that he will be sent on a mission. If he refuses, the GM determines what consequences happen to him. The character is paid $100 per week (remember these rules were written in 1979) per an experience level, and may not except rewards, and gains no Charisma for refusing them.

Homemade
The character trained himself secretly and created any devices he has on his own.

Accidnetal Scientific
The types of powers such characters can gain are determined by the type of accident responsible for them

Supernatural
The character studied magical books and forbidden lore in order to master the arts of sorcery. True supernaturals gain +2 to their Charisma due to the aura of fear that surrounds them and the dedication they've displayed to their art.

Accidental Supernatural
The character has become involved in sorcery through no plan of their own. They've either discovered a magical item of power or have become enchanted by an unknown benefactor, etc. They gain a +1 to their Charisma, but aren't as dedicated to Law or Chaos as true supernaturals.

Characteristic Involvement
These characters contain some sort of (as yet) unidentified characteristic that gives them an automatic and permanent Charisma of 17, which can't be changed under normal circumstances. The primary bonus these characters have is being able to attach themselves to some hero or group, and then act as a companion or "mascot." High level Charismatically Involved characters are the type of people hired as secret agents or lead secret organizations. They may switch from group to group of hero to hero when it seems useful. They are also able to train themselves while adventuring, but only up to a max characteristic score of 16 (once again we get a characteristic benchmark for what constitutes "normal"). They may take time off from adventuring to raise their scores above 16.

Should a Charismatically Involved character ever find himself in trouble, super-powered individuals of his faction (I'm guessing people he/she associates with), who are in the area, must come to his aid. Superpowered groups with such a character must sustain a one point Charisma loss should  the character be killed or permanently taken out of action.

Nonpowered Adventurer
Such characters don't have powers, but because of the number of skills and heightened characteristics they can obtain, they are more than often a match for many super-powered beings. It then states that players first character (the one based on the actual player) can't have this origin type.

There's a 3% chance that the character comes from another time, dimension, or whatever the GM comes up with. If he's not from an somewhere else, there's 20% chance he works for some government agency and is handled like a Sponsored character.

Extraterrestrial
The character is from another planet, and his powers are natural to his race. Once again, this can't be used as the origin for the PCs, first character. The GM gets to decide if the character has any contact with his homeworld.

Powers
As previously mentioned, the number and type of powers a character gets is based on his origin.

Mutant: 1-6 powers from list F
Designed: 1-4 powers from list A
Sponsored: 1-4 powers from list A
Homemade: 1-4 powers from list B
Accidental Scientific: 1-4 powers from list C
Supernatural: 1-4 powers from list D
Accidental Supernatural: 1-4 powers from list E
Charismatic Involvement: 5% chance of 1 power from list F
Nonpowered Adventurer: 2-5 powers from list G
Extraterrestrial: 1-4 powers from list F

As with 2nd edition, the PC then must pic a power to "trim" (drop) to "remove any abilities which would not logically exist with his other powers." The text then states "(Note that no random table is perfect so that common sense is used here to Over Rule the tables where abilities would not logically go together.)"  Also of note is this little tidbit - "Charismatically Involved and Nonpowered Adventurers are exempt from being trimmed." I could really see several of these rules being incorporated into some amalgam of the first and second edition. I'll post some of the additional changes they made to the various powers next.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2010 at 9:15am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: 1st Edition Material
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Powers

1st edition had several powers that were either dropped, or modified in the 2nd edition rules. For example Animal/Plant Powers. In the 2nd edition rules, there are pre-generated tables with specific powers listed for the characters to use. The 1st edition version allowed the player to decide what type of plant or animal he wanted to base his character on. He'd then roll 1d6 to determine the number of abilities he had. The GM then worked out what his specific abilities would be, and the benefits they granted the character.

Adaptation - The only change I see it that in 1st edition, if a character used it as a defense, he expended 3 points of Power, instead of 1, as in the Revised rules.

Animal or Plant Powers - The player rolls 1d6 to determine how many powers the character has, the GM determines what those abilities are based on the type of animal they're based on.

Animal/Plant Control is also handled differently. In the 1st edition rules the power is called Control Over One Type or Group of Animals. The player's character can control up to 10 animals of the same type. Range is restricted to speaking/hearing distance.

Armor - Unlike the 2nd Edition/Revised Edition, Armor was a type of defense in 1st Edition, and didn't get a specific point rating.

Astral Projection - 1st edition listed two types (A & B). Type A is similar to the standard 2nd edition power, but type B is similar to the power displayed by Negative Man (and Negative Woman) of the Doom Patrol (you can Google them if you're not familiar). Basically the character's body transforms into a flying energy being. While in this form he can pass through any material other than lead, and passing through materials inflicts 2d10 damage to the object, causing the object to "burn, melt, explode, etc." at a PR cost of 24.

2nd edition has Chemical Power, while 1st has Chemical Control. Chemical Controls description reads, "Basically this is the ability to manipulate chemicals (Chemical King of the Legion of Super Heroes), even to the point of changing one chemical into another (Transformation in 2nd edition). The GM must use his own judgment in determining the effects of the different possibler uses of this power."

Body Power - In 1st edition the player chose a specific body part and the GM determined what that part could do.

Claws/Fangs/Spiked or Prehensile Tails. It's similar to 2nd edition's natural weaponry, but adds in there a 5% chance of an additional special ability.

Control Over Self - Basically Willpower (A) in 2nd edition.

Cybernetics - for reasons unknown to me, was renamed Bionics in the 2nd edition. Personally I would have preferred that they left it Cybernetics.

As in 2nd edition, 1-6 body parts are replaced, once the number of parts is determined, the PC figures out which parts are actually replaced, and the GM determines what special abilities the parts provide.

Emotion Control - Unlike 2nd edition, where character's are limited to one emotion, 1st edition states " This power gives the character complete control over the feelings of his target". I actually prefer this version, and would leave it up to the PC (with GM approval) to determine the exact extent of his abilities. If he wants to limit to one emotion, that's his choice.

Energy Absorption - Basically the character is capable of absorbing energy based attacks directed at him. There's a 15% chance that the character can store the energy for a Power Blast. If the character is "hit" that means he couldn't absorb the attack. A missed attack, against the character, gives him a 75% chance of absorbing the attack.

The maximum number of points that can be stored = S+C (Endurance in 2e). If the stored number of points absorbed exceeds the limit, the character has to fire a Power Blast to dump some of the stored energy. If the character absorbs more energy the his maximum storage capacity, and fails to release the energy, he immediately takes damage = to the amount of energy he has stored. Range for the Power Blast = 1" per point of damage released. Damage = the number of points released.

While I like the PC having a chance to absorb the attack, I'd just go with the 2nd edition's simplified version of Absorption. I also like the idea of the character taking damage if he doesn't dump some of the stored power. That seems to be a pretty standard consequence in comics.

Flame Powers - As per the 2nd Edition Flame Powers B (there's only one version), but with a PR cost of 5 per an attack.

Form Change - Basically the Shape Change power from 2nd edition, but slightly more limited. The character rolls a percentile dice to determine the maximum number of forms/shapes he can assume, and the GM determines what abilities the form grants him. The character is also limited in the number of times he can change form. The max = his Con score.

Gimmick - This is one power I definitely wish they'd have left in the 2nd edition rules. Its description reads as follows. "A group of devices or weapons not necessarily similar in function, but rather rather the way they are used or presented. Examples of such are 'Balloon Man' who throws special balloons that do strange things when they explode, or the 'Ringleader' who wears an assortment of special rings. The player chooses a gimmick and then receives 1-10 different things that can be accomplished by his gimmicks. Each of these abilities is determined by the GM. Each month the character has an Ix3 percent chance of perfecting a new variation gimmick of his own design, subject to the GM's approval." " Scientists can be hired or befriended, etc. into inventing new variations of the gimmick with a 75% chance of success per month. No more than one new variation of the gimmick can be invented in any one month, no matter how many scientists are attempting such innovation. Each individual type of gimmick is usable from 1-3 times daily. All gimmicks are treated as devices.

Gravity Control - The major change from 1st to 2nd edition is that Gravity Control inflicts damage in 1st edition. A LOT of damage, 2d10 to be specific.

Heightened Attack - The first edition rules give a +20% chance of hitting an opponent and a +2 damage bonus.

Heightened Senses - the character rolls a D20 and consults the table below:

1-4 Hearing
5-8 Sight
9-12 Smell
13-16 Touch
17-20 Taste

The player decides what the sense's special sensitivity is, subject to veto by the GM.

Heightened Speed - In 1st Edition, it worked just like Speed Bonus. So no super-speedsters.  Angry

Independence from Atmosphere - The ability to exist without any kind of atmosphere or in an atmosphere not normally breathable by humans, or beings of the characters race. This one got rolled into Adaptation in 2nd edition.

Ice Powers - Unlike 2nd Edition, there was no Ice Armor to make you neigh invulnerable to attack.

Invulnerability - In 1st Edition it was a defense type, with no set number.

Light Control - It got a power boost in 2nd edition as it only did 1d10 damage in 1st edition.

Lightning/Electrical Control - In 2nd edition it simply became Lighting Control (I prefer the old name) and gained  the ability to control machines (which I would have preferred as a separate power).

Magical Devices - Basically the GM comes up with a magical device and determines its abilities.

Magic Spells - The GM is basically told to adapt a magic system from another game, but to allow for characters to become more powerful as they advance in experience.

Magnetic Powers - If used as an attack, 1st edition has it doing 1d6 points of damage.

Mind Power - Replaced by Psionics in 2nd edition. Its description reads: The player may choose one psychic power, increased intelligence, etc. Examples include telepathy, photographic memory, ESP, hypnotism, meditation, etc. The GM determines all factors concerning the ability. It attacks as Mind Control and defends as Control of Self. I would have preferred that Mind Power be kept as a separate ability with Psionics covering powers like ESP, or mental attacks, while Mind Power covered things like photographic memory, speed reading, etc.

Mutation - Replaced by Mutant Power in 2nd edition. 1st edition's version is described as "This is a permanent, one way type of Form Change. The type of change is determined by the player with the GM's approval. The GM will then decide upon which special abilities are gained form the change." I would like to have seen this one stick around too, and the 2nd Edition Mutant Power replaced with "New Power".

Paralysis Ray - The 1st edition version actually causes paralysis (24 hrs - 1 hr. per point of CON the affected character has). While 2nd edition knocks the character out. I'd have liked to see both versions (with some modifications to the length of time the character is paralyzed), and the 2nd edition being renamed "Stun", or something similar.

Pet or Lower Level Companion - Another power I wish they'd kept. In addition to a pet, you could also choose to have a sidekick. The player chooses what type of pet or sidekick he's going to have, and the GM determines the per or sidekick's abilities. The text states that the sidekick's abilities are usually toned down versions of the players.

Phantasmal Forces - Basically Illusions Type (A) in the 2nd edition rules.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2020 at 1:48am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Power Copy - This got rolled into the Absorption power in 2nd edition. Its description states that the character may copy another super-beings powers just by touching the other super-being. Only one power may be copied at a time. The character copied from still retains his power as it was only copied and not really transferred to the character using Power Copy powers. Devices may not be copied from but characters who can use this power may have as many copied powers as they want so long as the total of the Power Requirement of all the copied powers does not exceed the character's own Power Potential. The number of zero PR powers that such a character may copy is determined by a roll on a d4. If the character exceeds the number of number of copied powers he's allowed, he must give up some of these powers to make room for the remaining copied powers. Such copied powers are permanent and will remain with the player using Power Copy unless he must give up some to make room for others. A character with this power may not have any other powers of his own. When being trimmed he must drop this power or drop all other powers he has rolled.

Power Weapon - Renamed Power Blast in 2nd edition.

Polymorph Others - Rolled into Transmutation in 2nd edition. Its description reads: The character may induce any form change of his choice upon another character. The power may not be used on the player. R=I, duration is S turns. PR=8.

Radio Reception - Another one I wished they'd kept. The ability to tune into and receive radio frequencies and signals. PR=0

Regeneration - 1st edition differs in that if the character takes any action, then he doesn't heal that turn. Also, there's a note stating that the GM should (but doesn't have to) designate a type of attack the character can't regenerate from.

Robotic Body - 1st edition has two types. Type (A) - Electronic Brain. Basically a full blown Robot. Either a robot with human memories programmed into it, or the character's memories have been transferred to a robotic body. The body automatically gets +10 to his I, +2-20 to S, and Independence from Atmosphere (see above). There's a 10% chance of it short circuiting, and 5% chance of the body rusting when subjected to water. Rusting affect the character as though he were Fatigued, but without the power loss.

Type (B) - Human Brain. The character is human brain in a robotic body. There's a 10% chance the character's memories were erased. They're not independent from atmosphere and only gain 2-12 points to their S. They're more vulnerable to Lightning/Electrical attacks and there's 20% chance they'll be shorted out. If shorted out they must be repaired within 15 minutes, or the brain will die.

Temperature Control
- Type (A): Heat - From 100 degrees and Centigrade and up. Type (B) Cold. 0 degrees Centigrade, and below. There's no range as the character must touch the target to affect it. If used as a weapon it does 2-12 points of damage. PR=2 per an attack; 0 for defense or any other use.

I could see this being used as the basis for either Pyrokinetic or Cryokinetic abilities.

Time Travel - Basically the ability to travel through time. The  maximum number of days the character can travel backwards or forwards through time = I x C. If the result is great than 150, that’s the maximum number of years the character can travel. If a device grants the power, the GM sets the limit. The same rules about two objects occupying the same space apply, as per time travel. Characters can’t change time, and the GM is advised to take whatever steps are necessary to prevent it form happening. Travel to the future should only be one possible future time line. The short distance traveled, the more likely the time visited will actually be the future. PR=40

Vibratory Powers - The 1st edition version did 2d12 damage.

Weakness Detection - The 1st edition gave an increased chance to hit based on the character’s intelligence + (I x 2)%. If the target had a special weakness/vulnerability, then the character, using weakness detection, had an I% chance of detecting the weakness.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 2:48am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2009 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I think I need to find a 1st edition source book somewhere.  That is pretty interesting.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2009 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I'll post info on improving stats and experience later tonight, as it's different than 2nd edition. There's also a list of characteristic benchmarks for what's considered "normal" and superhuman.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Unlike 2nd edition, 1st edition provided characteristic benchmarks. While I may not necessarily agree with them, and I don't agree with all of them, at least they do give you something to go by.

Strength

3-5    Feeble
6-8      Weak
9-11       Average
12-14   Strong
15-17   Powerful
18-20   Superb
21-50   5 Men
50-100   20 Men
101-150 60 Men
151+    100 Men

Constitution (replaced by Endurance in second edition)

3-5     Flimsy
6-8     Puny
9-11    Average
12-14   Healthy
15-17   Very Healthy
18-20   Robust
21-50   Extremely Healthy
50-100   Very, Very Healthy
101-150 Very Robust
151+    Healthier Yet

Intelligence

1-2     Dense
3-5     Stupid
6-8     Dumb
9-11    Average
12-14   Smart
15-17   Brilliant
18      Genius
19+     Super Genius

Dexterity

3-5     Clod
6-8     Clumsy
9-11    Average
12-14  Clever
15-17   Dextrous
18      Agile
19+     Nimble

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I really loved the origins table in first edition.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 6:50pm:
I really loved the origins table in first edition.

I actually wish they'd incorporated some of this stuff into 2nd edition, especially the background/power tables. Next up, I'll be posting info on improving your stats.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
After several days of procrastination, here's the info on improving your stats. The 1st edition book states the following:

"For a character to improve any of his characteristics by one point he must take out the amount of time shown below in game time, not necessarily real time, from his patrolling activities to train. Characters may normally work on only one category at a time, though they may work on two at once or work on only one and still patrol (this takes three times the normal time requirements.) Training need not be done all at one time. A character may accumulate days of training here and there, though this can be very time consuming. The GM must be notified of all training that takes place. No rating may be raised over a score of 20 through normal training.

Strength: Three months of exercise per point gained.
Intelligence: Four months of study per point gained.
Constitution: Two months of diet/exercise per point gained.
Dexterity: Four months of training per point gained.
Charisma: Four months of social participation/public appearances per point gained.

If a character has a super-power which raises nay of his characteristics to a score of twenty or over, no amount of additional training will raise the rating in that category any further. However, if a characteristic was raised by but not up to twenty, he may train to increase that rating to the maximum level of twenty."

Basically, you'd either have to do nothing but train, or you could train while conducting other activities, but it would take longer to get results.

Anther thing I've noticed is how badly the 1st edition book was edited. I've changed most of the typos, but some of these paragraphs are VERY poorly written.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2010 at 5:18pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
So, any comments?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I really don't like the advancement rules.   I love the origins rules though.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:39pm:
I really don't like the advancement rules.  

They at least give you some basic guidelines, and I wish they'd played with them a little bit, so they could have been incorporated into 2nd edition.

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Talk about experience... I see no one has mentioned the experience tables or anything.

I have an extended chart of XP examples beyond battling foes.

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Was it from the 1st edition or your house rules?

Either way, I'd love to see it.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
House.
I'll move it to it's own Post.

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Experience Points in 1st Edition Rules
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 4:55am
Print Post  
It takes the same number of xp to advance a level in the original rules as it does in the revised edition: 2000 xp to get to 2nd level, 3000 more to get to 3rd, 4000 more to get to 4th etc. (The only exception is that it takes only 17,000 to move from 16th to 17th level--not 77,000 more, as published in the revised rules.)

The original rules have a "rate of gain" chart showing how many experience point a character gains when defeating a 1st level opponent.

1st Level charater: earns 100 xp for defeating a 1st level opponent.

2nd Level character: earns 95 xp for defeating a 1st level opponent.

3rd Level character: earns 90 xp for defeating a 1st level opponent.

It keeps going until...
20th Level character: earns 5 xp for defeating a 1st level opponent.

When defeating higher level opponents, multiply their level by the 1st-level amount. In other words, a 20th level character earns only 15 xp for defeating a 3rd level opponent (5 xp  times 3rd level = 15).

Heroes earn experience points for capturing any villain, but earn nothing for killing (just like in the revised rules).

But it's a dog-eat-dog world for villains:
Villains earn no experience for capturing another villain.

But villains earn 50% experience for killing a lower-charisma villain, and 100% experience for killing a higher-charisma villain.

Villains earn no experience for capturing a lower-charisma hero, but they do get 50% experience points for capturing a higher-charisma hero.

Villains earn full experience points for killing any hero.

In other words, villains are dangerous!

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:22am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Levels and Hit Dice
Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:33am
Print Post  
The original rules didn't use Hit Mod. multiplication or Basic Hits but instead followed a Hit Dice model similar to classic D&D.

In V&V, Hit Dice = 1d6.

1st Level: 1 Hit Die, At first level, player characters begin with 4 HP (unless that score is modified by their ability scores). Here's the Hit Dice table by level.

2nd Level: 2 Hit Dice

3rd Level: 3 Hit Dice

4th Level: 4 Hit Dice

5th Level: 4 + 2 Hit Dice. (Add 2 HP to whatever your hit point were at forth level.)

6th Level: 5 Hit Dice

7th level: 5 +2 Hit Dice

8th Level: 6 HD

9th Level: 6 + 2 HD

10th Level: 7 HD

11th Level: 7 + 2 HD

12th Level: 8 HD

13th Level: 8 + 2 HD

14th Level: 9 HD

15th Level: 9 + 2 HD

16th Level: 10 HD

17th Level: 10 + 2 HD

18th Level: 11 HD

19th Level: 12 HD

20th Level: 13 HD

The chart ends at this point.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:34am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: 1st Edition Material: Hit Point adjustments
Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:46am
Print Post  
In the 1st edition rules, the total number of hit points a character has are modified by their ability scores. This effects the total number of hit points; not hit points gained by level.

Strength
3-5: - 1 Hit Point
6-14: no adjustment
15-17: + 1 Hit Point
18-20: +2 Hit Points
21-50: +5 Hit Points
51-100: +10 Hit Points
101-150: +15 Hit Points
151 and up: +20 Hit Points

Constitution
3-5: - 2 Hit Points
6-8: - 1 Hit Point
9-11: no adjustment
12-14: + 1 Hit Point
18-20: +2 Hit Points
21-50: +5 Hit Points
51-100: +10 Hit Points
101-150: +20 Hit Points
151 and up: +30 Hit Points

Dexterity
18: +2 Hit Points
19 and up: + 5 Hit Points

Intelligence
1-2: - 2 Hit Points
18: +2 Hit Points
19 and up: + 3 Hit Points

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:47am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 10:57am
Print Post  
PB, thanks for posting the additions.  Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 10:58am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I was curious... are there any chara/NPCs in that first edition book that could be transfered to V&V 2nd Ed?

Or you could just simply post them in their original form and allow us to translate them.

Just curious.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing all the images from the book too... so if you have those... bring em on! heheh

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: 1st Edition Material: Survivor
Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Here's the sample villain from the original rules. No visual was provided.

Name: Survivor (no other name given)
Sex: Male
Level: 3
Side: Evil

Powers:
1. Adaption: battery operated, holds 30 power points of energy.
2. Heightened Sense of Taste: can detect poisons in food
3. Invulnerability: this was a defense type in 1st edition, no points were given.
4. Polymorph Others: basiclaly transmutation, PR = 8 per attempt.
5. Telekinesis: Up to 39 ounces can be moved up to 39" per turn at a rage of up to 30" PR = 1 per turn used. (This power was very weak in 1st edition.)

Strength: 13
Constitution/Endurance: 13
Dexterity/Agility: 10
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 9

Hit Points: 8 (using original rules)
Power Points: 46

Origin: Extraterrestrial.

Backstory/Setup:
The government has contacted Volcanic Man (the sample hero) and asked him to look into a disturbance in a small town a short distance away. It seems that a stranger showed up there several days ago and then suddenly disappeared, along with a delivery truck and a variety of stolen pieces of merchandise, including food, clothes, and money.

Poor Survivor! He had the misfortune of landing (crash-landing) on this dismal and primitive planet where he has been forced to confront its dull and meagre inhabitants. He took those items necessary and essential to his own survival and set off in a commandeered ground vehicle, hoping to find a secluded area where he could hide and plan.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 4:50pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: 1st Edition Material: Volcanic Man
Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Here's the sample hero from the original rules. No picture was published. But you can imagine him looking like Blok from the Legion or Thing from the FF.

Volcanic Man
Identity: Joe Schmoe
Sex: Male
Level: 1
Side: Good

Strength: 22 (translates to the strength of five men in original rules). His starting score was 6.
Constitution/Endurance: 10
Dexterity/Agility: 13
Intelligence: 14
Charisma: 11

Hit Points: 11 (original rules)
Power Points: 59

Powers:
1. Armor: not a device. (This was simply a defense type in the original rules. No ADR score was given.)

2. Heightened Strength: +16 (In the original rules, all heightened stats were 2d10, no matter what table they came from.)

Origin: Accidental Scientific.

Volcanic Man got his powers by falling into a live volcano and becoming coated with hardened lava. His uniform consists of a simple pair of orange boxing trunks. His appearance has been so radically changed that he cannot maintain two identities separately. He elects to use only his vigilante identity, not wanting to cause problems for friends and family. He looks different enough to be fairly safe in taking that way of like as it is unlikely that he will be recognized as as the former Joe Schmoe.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 4:02pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:42am
Print Post  
The original rules included a random encounters table very similar to the revised edition, while advising the GM to create encounters and occurrences themselves rather than randomly rolling.

The original rules also provided a table to show the chance of an encounter taking place each day--based on the heroes' location, powers, and the number of hours patrolled. 

Open Country:
Zero Hour on Patrol: 1% of an encounter
1-2 Hours: 1%
3-4 Hours: 2%
5-6 Hours: 5%
7-8 Hours: 8%
8-10 Hours: 10%
11-12 Hours: 12%
13-14 Hours: 15%
More than 14 Hours Patrolling: 20% of an encounter

Small Town:
Zero Hours on Patrol: 2% of an encounter
1-2 Hours: 2%
3-4 Hours: 5%
5-6 Hours: 10%
7-8 Hours: 15%
8-10 Hours: 20%
11-12 Hours: 25%
13-14 Hours: 30%
More than 14 Hours Patrolling: 40% of an encounter

Large City:
Zero Hours on Patrol: 5% of an encounter
1-2 Hours: 10%
3-4 Hours: 15%
5-6 Hours: 20%
7-8 Hours: 25%
8-10 Hours: 30%
11-12 Hours: 35%
13-14 Hours: 40%
More than 14 Hours Patrolling: 45% of an encounter

Modifications to the percentage chance:
Per level the character is over the first level: +1%
Per four charisma points the character has: +1%
If the character has Radio Reception: +5%
If the character has any kind of increased mobility: +5%
If the character has no super powers: -10%
If any other important factors exist: Gamemaster's discretion

My first players liked to patrol the streets like Daredevil. Even though I selected their encounters, we all enjoyed the process of randomly seeing if and when an urban encounter took place each night they went on patrol.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:57am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Another fun thing from the 1st Edition rules was the Basic Combat chart.  Instead of having a moderate sized list of attacks and defenses, 1st Edition had a list of 8,000 attacks cross-referenced by 8,000 defenses!

Okay, I might be exaggerating slightly, but not a lot!  Shocked  There are so many attack and defense types it's enough to make your head spin!  Which is kind of cool in one way, but it most likely slows combat down unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:38pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I'm just bumping this back up, as I've had a couple of questions concerning 1st edition material. Hopefully, this thread will be able to answer them, if not, I'll add the info they've requested.

YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:37pm:
Another fun thing from the 1st Edition rules was the Basic Combat chart.  Instead of having a moderate sized list of attacks and defenses, 1st Edition had a list of 8,000 attacks cross-referenced by 8,000 defenses!

I loved that chart! (Although I did say elsewhere that I like Arm's Law, so that should clue you into my opinion about tables.)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity, how many guys here have a copy of the 1st edition rules? Of those that do, or have seen a copy, how many wish they'd kept more of the 1st edition material in the revision?

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:20pm:
Just out of curiosity, how many guys here have a copy of the 1st edition rules? Of those that do, or have seen a copy, how many wish they'd kept more of the 1st edition material in the revision? 

I have to admit I haven't spent that much time looking in depth at some of the 1st Edition stuff, but now that Gimmicks has been spotlighted here (and I agree that it could have been ported over 'as is' into 2nd Edition), I think I'll have to give it another look!

IP Logged

Kent
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:20pm:

I do. I think it's required reading!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:43pm:
I have to admit I haven't spent that much time looking in depth at some of the 1st Edition stuff, but now that Gimmicks has been spotlighted here (and I agree that it could have been ported over 'as is' into 2nd Edition), I think I'll have to give it another look!

I think there were several very cool elements, in 1st edition, that could have been used in 2nd edition. Especially some of the powers and character backgrounds.

YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I have a rather poor condition copy I got in an ebay auction years ago.  I haven't read it like I have 2nd, it was more of a "where did the game come from" kind of deal.  I'll have to go and read it some more.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I have a copy that I recently picked up (in mint condition too!) but I haven't read through it much. Seeing some of the stuff here I plan on giving it a more thorough examination.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 4:28pm:
Powers
As previously mentioned, the number and type of powers a character gets is based on his origin.

Here's my quick and dirty 2nd ed version. Unless otherwise stated character creation rules remain the same. Feel free to comment, tear apart, etc.

The number and type of powers a character gets is based on his origin.
  • Mutant: 3-8 from Powers
  • Designed: 2-3 from Skills and 1-5 Powers OR Devices
  • Sponsored: 1-3 from Skills and 2-5 Powers OR Devices
  • Homemade: 2-4 from skills and 1-4 from Devices
  • Accidental Scientific: 2-4 from Powers and 1-4 from Powers OR Devices
  • Supernatural: 1 from skills and 2-5 from Magic/Psionics and 0-3 from Magic/Psionic Items
  • Accidental Supernatural: 2 from skills and 1-6 from Magic/Psionics OR Magic/Psionic Items
  • Charismatic Involvement: Heightened Charisma A, 1 from skills OR 1 (latent) from Powers OR Magic/Psionics, no Weakness
  • Non-powered Adventurer: 3-6 from Skills and 0-2 Powers from Devices
  • Extraterrestrial: 2 from skills, 2 from powers, and 0-4 from any except skills

Players may mix and match from either group when it says OR.
After rolling the number of powers, players may swap one and only of one kind of power for another, including those already in the list, e.g.,  A Home made rolls three skills and two device. He replaces one skill with another device. e.g.,  A Mutant rolls 6 powers and replaces 1 of the powers with a Magic/Psionic Device.
Notes:
  • Charismatic  Involvement can’t swap out powers. The latent power of the Charismatic is under control of the GM who can choose where and when the power is manifested.
  • Non-powered adventurers can only swap for skills, Devices or M/P items.
  • In addition to the normal swap, Supernaturals may take Heightened Charisma A instead of any one power.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:00pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #33 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
In the first edition, Charismatic Involvement also included an automatic Charisma score of 17 (which cant' go up or down). For a second edition reinterpretation, I might say that they get 1d2 powers. If they have only one power, it is automatically is Heightened Charisma A. If they have two powers, then they can roll a random power from any of the other tables.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:45pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #34 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:44pm:
In the first edition, Charismatic Involvement also included an automatic Charisma score of 17 (which cant' go up or down). For a second edition reinterpretation, I might say that they get 1d2 powers. If they have only one power, it is automatically is Heightened Charisma A. If they have two powers, then they can roll a random power from any of the other tables.

Good point, although I just decided to remove the decision and just gave them Hgt Cha A. If they don't want them to have any more powers, they can take a latent power and have it almost never manifest.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #35 - May 23rd, 2010 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:09pm:
Good point, although I just decided to remove the decision and just gave them Hgt Cha A. If they don't want them to have any more powers, they can take a latent power and have it almost never manifest.

Sort of like Rick Jones. And just out of curiosity, did you ever finish working out your 2nd edition conversions?

YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #36 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I edited the list above, but I didn't do anything more on it.

Maybe I should combine with the original descriptions and and make a PDF if anyone's interested.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 4:28pm:

My version of the rules give Accidental Scientific characters only 1-3 powers, and Extraterrestrials 1-6.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #38 - May 25th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I never had a first edition but now I am going to have to find one. I don't see why you couldn't use some of these things in 2nd edition

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #39 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
With  the announcement that MHG is working on a 3rd edition, I figured I'd bump this back up, as I think there are several items I'd like to see make a return. Namely an updated version of the Origin Types and Characteristic Benchmarks
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:13pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Bumping this up.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #41 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 7:26am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:12pm:
With  the announcement that MHG is working on a 3rd edition, I figured I'd bump this back up, as I think there are several items I'd like to see make a return. Namely an updated version of the Origin Types and Characteristic Benchmarks

Two words: "Life Path". It was the best part of R. Talsorian's Mekton series.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #42 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I'm note familiar with this Life Path you speak of but Tom and I split my very first active RP character in 20 years using two origin techniques. An Annapolis graduate and low level mutant who worked for a black tech special ops team when he was bombarded with a strange radiation while working on a spy satellite in space.

I think that might cover three of the origin possibilities in one Smiley I do wish I still had my first edition of the rules. Great flavor stuff in there. Cheesy

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #43 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
LIFE PATH, at least in Mekton Zeta+, was a series of tables. You roll a die, consult the table, go to the next table and so on until you reach the end.

You start with what kind of family you were born into (rich/poor/royalty/military/merchant), then how many siblings you have (and what sex they are), the social status of your parents, whether or not they are even around (and if not, what may have happened to them). Do you have a "significant other", what are your personal values, what is your most valued possession, what color are your hair and eyes?

Basically, you create a character with a back story (kind of) out of nothing but a few die rolls. Makes it pretty easy to come up with an NPC.

<off topic comments>
Mekton Z+ has excellent art, wonderful character creation, amazing (I mean AMAZING) mecha creation, and crap combat rules. They did a lot better with AT:Votoms (uses semi-compatible FUZION system), but about eight people actually played it...

Now I just use Battletech rules and have Yad draw pretty robots...

</off topic comments>
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2013 at 4:53pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #44 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Nov 14th, 2013 at 4:26am:
Bumping this up.

Here's what I use in my games to match the 2nd ed powers roll with some of the "flavor" of the 1st ed Origins (although I always let players reroll #8!):

The number and type of super powers a character gets is based on his origin (categories taken from 1st ed. V&V). Depending on the GM, the players may either roll, select, or be assigned their origin. All other super power selection rules are followed, including dealing with weaknesses.
1.      Mutant: 3-8 [1d6+2] from Powers
2.      Designed: 2-3 [1d2+1] from Skills and 1-5 [1d10/2] Powers OR Devices
3.      Sponsored: 1-3 [1d6/2] from Skills and 2-5 [1d4+1] Powers OR Devices
4.      Homemade: 2-4 [1d6/2 +1] from skills and 1-4 [1d4] from Devices
5.      Accidental Scientific: 2-4  [1d6/2 +1] from Powers and 1-4 [1d4] from Powers OR Devices
6.      Supernatural: 1 from skills and 2-5 [1d4+1] from Magic/Psionics and 0-3 [1d4-1]from Magic/Psionic Items
7.      Accidental Supernatural: 2 from skills and 1-6 [1d6] from Magic/Psionics OR Magic/Psionic Items
8.      Charismatic Involvement: Heightened Charisma A, 1 from skills OR 1 (latent) from Powers OR Magic/Psionics, no Weakness
9.      Non-powered Adventurer: 3-6 [1d4+2] from Skills and 0-2 [1d6/2-1] from Devices
10.      Extraterrestrial: 2 from skills, 2 from powers, and 0-4 [1d10/2 -1]from any except skills

Players may mix and match from either group when it says OR.

After rolling the number of super powers, players may swap one and only one super power for another, including those already in the list. The player may choose which super power to swap.

Examples
•      A Homemade rolls three Skills and two Devices. He replaces one Skill with another Device.
•      A Mutant rolls six powers and replaces one Power with a Magic/Psionic Device.

Swapping Limitations
•      Charismatic Involvement can’t swap out powers. The latent power of the Charismatic is under control of the GM who can choose where and when the power is manifested.
•      Non-powered adventurers can only swap for Skills, Devices or Magic/Psionic Devices.
•      In addition to the normal swap, Supernaturals may take Heightened Charisma A instead of any one super power.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2013 at 5:28pm by Lord Inar »  

Pages_from_VnV_1st_edp1.jpg ( 181 KB | 24 Downloads )
Pages_from_VnV_1st_edp1.jpg
Pages_from_VnV_1st_ed_p2.jpg ( 135 KB | 22 Downloads )
Pages_from_VnV_1st_ed_p2.jpg

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #45 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I added a bit more info on the various 1st edition powers. Plus I thing some of the new guys might find this interesting.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #46 - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Bumping this, as I plan on using a bit of this material.

YIM  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #47 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 1:42am:
Bumping this, as I plan on using a bit of this material.

Thank you!

I use this all the time making 2nd ed characters and almost everyone seems to really get into it.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #48 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Glad to be of service. Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #49 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I'm working on something.

YIM  
IP Logged

>