Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Conventions (Read 2591 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Conventions
May 29th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity, any of you guys planning on attending any conventions this year? And if so, which ones? It'd be nice to actually meet some of you in person, and shoot the sh*t over a nice meal one evening.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Conventions
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
My wife and I are planning to attend Big Apple Con next week.   You going?    And we have gone to NY Comic Con the passed two years in a row.  We would love to meet up if you are attending.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure which, if any cons I'll be able to get to. I've got my annual training, for the National Guard, coming up, and that will tie up the rest of June. In July one of my co-workers is on vacation, so that pretty much burns up July (it'll leave us short at work if I'm off too). And I'm not sure what Aug looks like yet.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 4:41am
Print Post  
GuardianCon VII (a small, local con my friends and I put together) will be at the end of June.

If any of you can ever make it to Washington state, we do a lot of V&V each year (this year only has three V&V events, which is probably the smallest we've ever had), and you're all invited!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks, but I am too poor right now to travel anywhere.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:07pm:
Thanks, but I am too poor right now to travel anywhere.   

There's always next year (it's always towards the end of June).

To get in is pretty inexpensive ($10 a day, with a discount if you GM), and I can provide a place to stay for free.

So all you're really looking at is airfare.    Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as it's that time of year again.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:38am:
Bumping this up, as it's that time of year again. 

And it would be awesome to see some of you at GuardianCon VIII, if you're able to make it by plane, train, or automobile to the great Northwest!   Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Elle and I made it a tradition to go to New York Comic Con every year.  She buys the tumbler every year to put on her shelft.   Anyone going?

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
My wife and I are headed to GenCon this year. Hopefully I will be able to get in on one of the V&V games that are going on this year. A group called the Dead Games Society is holding at least one game on Wednesday.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:51pm:
My wife and I are headed to GenCon this year. Hopefully I will be able to get in on one of the V&V games that are going on this year. A group called the Dead Games Society is holding at least one game on Wednesday.

If I were a betting man I'd say you're probably Duroon over on the Gen Con LLC boards!    Smiley

Looks like there's a lot of interest in V&V over there (I just Googled it and scanned through the 5 pages of posts on the Dead Games Society).  I'm jealous, as I've always wanted to visit GenCon!

Looks like the plans right now are for a V&V game on Wednesday, with a possibility of it being Thursday (and there's even a possibility with all the interest of there being two games!).

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I'll be at Ft. Hood probably in a few weeks and then in Houston a few weeks after that (for work) if anybody is in those areas.

I usually try to make Gengiscon/Tacticon in Denver although my record's been pretty spotty lately.

I'd love to go to GenCon or Origins but crowds wig me out a bit.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
If I were a betting man I'd say you're probably Duroon over on the Gen Con LLC boards!    Smiley

Looks like there's a lot of interest in V&V over there (I just Googled it and scanned through the 5 pages of posts on the Dead Games Society).  I'm jealous, as I've always wanted to visit GenCon!

Looks like the plans right now are for a V&V game on Wednesday, with a possibility of it being Thursday (and there's even a possibility with all the interest of there being two games!).

You would win that bet, I am indeed on the GenCon site as Duroon. Even if I don't get in on the Wednesday night DGS game I am taking along a notebook and my V&V core book so I may get an unofficial V&V game wrangled up somehow. I am also planning on running a V&V game during ORC 2010 down here in Portland. ORC stands for Oregon Roleplayers for Charity, an event my wife and I run every year to benefit SMART. It's usually a one day event and this will be our third year running it. I am hoping to grow it into a big event some day but for now it's still on the small side.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:04pm:
Majestic wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 4:36pm:

You would win that bet, I am indeed on the GenCon site as Duroon. Even if I don't get in on the Wednesday night DGS game I am taking along a notebook and my V&V core book so I may get an unofficial V&V game wrangled up somehow. I am also planning on running a V&V game during ORC 2010 down here in Portland. ORC stands for Oregon Roleplayers for Charity, an event my wife and I run every year to benefit SMART. It's usually a one day event and this will be our third year running it. I am hoping to grow it into a big event some day but for now it's still on the small side.

There's a Portland Con that a guy named Rodney Barnes (who is on a list I'm on) is involved with; I think he's one of the main people involved in putting it on; I can't remember what it's called, though. He might be a good guy to network with, so let me know if you're interested, and I'll put you two in contact.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
GuardianCon VIII is coming up in less than 3 months (latter part of June)!

As always, there will be a lot of V&V being played, and this year, FGU is probably donating some product that we can give away as well!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Ever get a website for GuardianCon? If I happen to have the time off I might shoot up that way for a day. I have a messed up schedule though, I get one day off every two weeks.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:34pm:
Ever get a website for GuardianCon? If I happen to have the time off I might shoot up that way for a day. I have a messed up schedule though, I get one day off every two weeks.

I've reminded our webmaster, but I don't think it's done yet.  Even if you could only get there for a single night/session, I think you'd find it worth it!

There's some other folks that sometimes come from Portland; who knows, perhaps you'd even be able to carpool!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Lol as a person who drives a tow truck for a living I have a hard time trusting anyone else behind the wheel.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:18pm:
Lol as a person who drives a tow truck for a living I have a hard time trusting anyone else behind the wheel.

No problem - lol - it's only a three hour cruise! (when I write this I somehow have an old theme song in my head)   Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:34pm:

By the way, we're close, but we're nailing down a few final details.  We're going to discuss them at our V&V session on Saturday, and it should be up soon after that.  We're looking at a more tiered pricing structure (so people don't cherry pick which events to come to) and possibly lowering prices (seeing how much we have left over from last year).

Just a reminder - as a few out of state people from this list already know - we have a number of homes (mine included) where you can stay for free.  And a big part of the money goes for food (we'll even barbeque on one of the evenings).  So the only real cost is the convention itself (pretty reasonable) and the airfare or cost in getting to Seattle.

IP Logged

>