Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gadgets (Read 15974 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Gadgets
Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I posted this over in my House Rules thread and figured it could use it's own thread, as I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

Gadgets: The character may choose which of the two varieties he possesses

A) The character has a device, or devices, that simulate 1d4+2 powers. The maximum number of uses/charges would be limited to 1d4 charges per day, per device. Additional devices can be created/constructed by using the standard inventing procedures.

B) Gadgeteer - The Character is a mechanical/scientific genius, who's capable of creating/manufacturing 1d4+2 single use devices per day. The devices can be used to simulate powers, or any other function the player can reasonably justify to the GM.

Gadgets A would allow you to construct a utility belt, trick arrows, etc. Gadgets B would allow you to play a character like Gizmo, or Hank Pym of the Avengers. One additional note on Gadgets (B) - Devices can't be carried over from day to day. You build them, use them, and then move on.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 11:45am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Gadgets
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I really like this.   I guess Mr. Fantastic would have this power too?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:36pm:
I really like this.   I guess Mr. Fantastic would have this power too?

Not really, as I don't see Reed cranking out devices as much as I do people like Hank Pym, Gizmo, or the Tinkerer.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011 at 8:51pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Anyone else care to comment? I'm pretty open to suggestions on this one.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I like it.

Option A reminds me of Gimmicks from First Edition. I wish they never lost that. Special Weapon is a different thing.

Option B, your write up is incomplete, I think. But from what I can see, I really like it!

FWIW, I never saw Reed having this power (or Weakness Detection for that matter). I think he's got a 40 Intelligence and just uses the one-shot invention rules, and the regular Invention rules, as often as possible.

Finally, as mentioned elsewhere, I like John's rules on Magic Spells/Hex Powers and could definitely seeing the concept work for gadget devices.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:29pm:
FWIW, I never saw Reed having this power (or Weakness Detection for that matter). I think he's got a 40 Intelligence and just uses the one-shot invention rules, and the regular Invention rules, as often as possible.

Just to jump in, I'm on the same page w/Dr. Foom's diagnosis of Reed. He's very smart, but I don't see weakness det. And he's been ridin' on his Unstable Molecule and Negative Zone laurels fer a while. When he figures things out on the fly, I think it works very well as an inventin' point.

The Gimmick pow'r from the original rules can be cool (similar to Option A, as Foom M.D. stated).

W/Option B, I see that the character already has Heightened Intelligence. But maybe there's a form of Psionics or Willpower that says one-shot inventions only cost 0.1 inventing point (instead of 1.0). 

Or--if the character makes an inventing attempt ... and the attempt is a success ... she doesn't lose the inventing point. That explains heroes who keep on inventin' and inventin' ... In this situation, they'd only lose the full Inventin' Point when they fail an inventing attempt.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:55pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I like it.

Thanks.

Option A reminds me of Gimmicks from First Edition. I wish they never lost that.

I had an slightly different version I used, until I read the 1st edition rules, then modified my version to make them similar.

Option B, your write up is incomplete, I think. But from what I can see, I really like it!

Oops...sorry about that.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2009 at 12:58am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Would Tony Stark have gadjet power?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:38pm:

I think he'd fall more into the Reed Richards, Heightened Intelligence category. Tony rarely cranks out new devices, and when he does, it's usually part of a design process that lasts a while.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2019 at 12:18am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:38pm:

Yes, retroactively.
(See 1980's Avengers)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
OK, this is how I see various characters:

Gadgets A

Batman
Green Arrow
Hawkeye
Capt. Boomerang

Gadgets B

Gizmo
Hank Pym
Forge

Heightened Intelligence B

Reed Richards
Tony Stark
The Chief

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
How about this?   You guys really made me think, which is a compliment.

Gadget Power:   The player can construct any gadget that can simulate one aspect of a super power,  for 1d4 uses.    The player must have the nessesary knowledge areas to create the gadget or its extremely difficult to do so.   
    To make a gadget,  the character rolls Id20 if the knowledge areas are possessed by the character 1d100 if they are not.   The cost in time or money is 100,000 dollars minus 10,000 dollars per die roll UNDER the character's intellgence roll.    The time takes 10 hours per gadget minus one hour per die roll UNDER the player's intellgence on the die roll.      A player can spend extra money to reduce the time, or spend extra time to reduce the money on a ten thousand dollar/per hour or vice versa.

Example;  The Assembly Man wants to make a non corporealness device.  He possesses all the nessesasary knowledge areas  deemed by his GM to do so  ( Physics, electronics, extra dimensional physics) and has an Intellegence of 17.  He rolls Id20 because he has all the knowlege to build this gadget.
  He rolls a 12.   17-12=5.    His success  is 5.
  So the device costs 100,000-50,000= 50,000 dollars and will take 10 hours -5 hours= 5 hours.

He doesn't have the cash, so he will spend another four hours working on it.  So he spend 9 hours working and spent 10,000 dollars.   He then rolls and the gadget will work 3 times.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:39pm by John »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
What happens if the character rolls equal to or above his Intelligence score? Is the device free? Or does that mean the attempt failed?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:34pm:

Gadget Power:   The player can construct any gadget that can simulate one aspect of a super power,  for 1d4 uses.    The player must have the nessesary knowledge areas to create the gadget or its extremely difficult to do so.   
    To make a gadget,  the character rolls Id20 if the knowledge areas are possessed by the character 1d100 if they are not.   The cost in time or money is 100,000 dollars minus 10,000 dollars per die roll UNDER the character's intellgence roll.    The time takes 10 hours per gadget minus one hour per die roll UNDER the player's intellgence on the die roll.      A player can spend extra money to reduce the time, or spend extra time to reduce the money on a ten thousand dollar/per hour or vice versa.

Example;  The Assembly Man wants to make a non corporealness device.  He possesses all the nessesasary knowledge areas  deemed by his GM to do so  ( Physics, electronics, extra dimensional physics) and has an Intellegence of 17.  He rolls Id20 because he has all the knowlege to build this gadget.
  So the device costs 100,000-50,000= 50,000 dollars and will take 10 hours -5 hours= 5 hours.

He doesn't have the cash, so he will spend another four hours working on it.  So he spend 9 hours working and spent 10,000 dollars.   He then rolls and the gadget will work 3 times.

What do you guys think?

I tend to stay away from cash, as I really don't see that happening in comics. Hank Pym wants a shrink ray, he just whips it up. Gizmo grabs some scrap parts, and creates a missile launcher, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:12am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
True, and I thought that would be the hard part to sell on this.  But then, there is a cash componet to the Armor B power so there is a precedent.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Bumping this back up, as we've got some new members, and I'd like to see someone, besides me, test this out in a game. I'd like to hear some feedback on the way this plays out.

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Two quick notes:

I typically see exceptionally intelligent characters with Heightened Intelligence A (skill) instead of B (power) unless they were mutated, mystically enhanced, or cybernetically altered.

In the published V&V material, the only character I've spotted with powers similar to the gagetteer ability is a villain in "The Mad Scientist" magazine adventure.

Doctor Bennet Morrow
Powers:
1. Heightened Intelligence B x2: +47
2. Mutant Power: Highly dominant right side of his brain, has five times the number of inventing points.
Phobia/Psychosis: Mutated brain is torn between 'science' and 'crime.'

Heroes face his colorfully numerous inventions in the adventure.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:18am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 7:13am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:16am:
Two quick notes:

I typically see exceptionally intelligent characters with Heightened Intelligence A (skill) instead of B (power) unless they were mutated, mystically enhanced, or cybernetically altered.

Hmmm....I think Type A would seem to fit characters like Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Capt. Bommerrang, etc. better than high INT characters.

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 7:13am:
Hmmm....I think Type A would seem to fit characters like Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Capt. Bommerrang, etc. better than high INT characters. 

I think there's been a misunderstanding. My note about Heightened Intelligence A and Heightened Intelligence B was about the differences between those two types of intelligence (innate skill/training vs. genetic/mystical/technological alteration). That note about A/B intelligence wasn't a comment about their use of devices.

Characters with ordinary intelligence or heightened intelligence of either kind can and do use devices. The modules include a number of entertaining characters with thematic gadgets similar to Green Arrow or Capt. Boomerang. The revised rules often group these under Special Weapon, while the original rules used the power Gimmick.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:24pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
No worries, I misread your post. As far as the the 1st edition rules go, there are separate powers for "Gimmick", Special Weapon, and Magic Devices. I'd have preferred that they'd left it that way in the second edition rules.

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Gimmicks and Trick Weapons
Reply #20 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
This is the perfect point to consider how characters with multi-faceted gadgets were treated in the published materials.

Blackjack from SuperCrooks & Criminals actually has Gimmicks listed (rather than Special Weapon). Here's an compressed description of his gear.
Deck of Cards: When scrambled in an opponent's face, disorientation is created. Two phases are wasted by the victim to recover. Agility save to avoid this. Cost 5" movement, 1" range, attacks as HTH.
Sneezing Powder: When blown in a victim's face this power causes uncontrollable sneezing. To recover, an Endurance save is made every turn. 1" range, attacks as HTH, no PR.
Grapple and Line: To hit the target, an Agility save is made. There is 50" of cable. Blackjack swings at 26" speed.
Pellet Gun: (+3 to hit, 50" range, no damage) includes gas pellets (i.e. paralysis) and sleep pellets (i.e. paralysis) along with Mute Pellets: The pellet effects the victim's nervous system, rendering him mute for 1d10 turns.
Slingshot: +1 to hit to hit, HTH +1 damage, Ax2" range, PR = 1 per shot. Blackjack carries 20 stones, which do abovem as well as these special "stones": Flame Bomb: (1d12 flame damage), Flash Bomb: light flash carrier attack (see rules, p. 14), Shadow Bomb: Darkness Control is released upon hit. 2" sphere is created.
Low Self-Control: Blackjack cannot resist playing a prank or joke, even if threatened by capture.

Next are two archers with trick arrows. I find the ones that don't duplicate existing powers the most interesting.

Apollo from Organized Crimes.
Special Weapon: Long Bow: +4 to hit, HTH +1 damage.
a) Incinerary Arrow: Additional 1d12 flame damage from carrier attack.
b) Sleep Arrow: Endurance save 1d20. Causes 15 turns sleep without wake-up rolls.
c) Anti-Gravity Arrow: Gravity control carrier attack. Multiply victim's weight by - 10 lbs. Duration = 3 turns.
d) Paralysis Arrow: Carrier attack of paralysis ray (see rules, p. 15).

Crossfire (Sagittarius) from Most Wanted, vol. 1 has a lot of duplication in her arsenal.

Special Weapon: Crossbow, replaces left hand, HTH + 7 to hit, +1d4 damage, 88" range. Sharpened steel bow usable as an axe: HTH + 1 to hit, +1d8 damage.
Special Quarrels:
a) Quarrel Grenade: no arrow tip, instead explodes on impact as a hand grenade, HTH +2 to hit, 1d10 damage, 2" blast radius.
b) Poisoned Quarrel: carrier Chemical attack, results in paralysis as per a hit from a Paralysis ray.
c) Flare Quarrel: 12" radius blinding flash on impact, as per Light Control. Thereafter, continues to burn for 5 minutes (20 turns) lighting the radius of effect as full daylight (no further attacks).
d) Venom Quarrel: carrier Chemical attack, results in a death Touch attempt (victim may attempt saving throws, etc.).
e) Flaming Quarrel: carrier Flame attack for 1d12 damage, burns for 2 turns.
f) Sonic Quarrel: no arrow tip, 12" radius filled with shrill noise, on impact emits an automatic Sonic attack for 1d8 damage (or 28% to destroy a device it hits).
g) Tangle Quarrel: no arrow tip, on a hit encases a 1" cube in gooey tendrils; characters may save vs. s on 1d100 or try to break them, at a cost of one action per attempt.
h) Cable Quarrel: 12" cable connects re-enforced quarrel to crossbow winch, motor rewinds 1" of cable per phase starting on phase 15 of each turn, with a weight capacity of 500 lbs.
i) Ice Quarrel: no arrow tip, on impact emits an Ice attack for 1d12 damage, covers target with one cubic foot of ice per point of damage inflicted. Se Ice rules, p. 13.
j) Adhesive Quarrel: no arrow tip, on impact coats a man=sized target in quick-drying glue. As Tangle Quarrel, but worse.
k) Smoke Quarrel: on impact, belches out 216 cubic inches of vision-obscuring smoke. Without wind, 1 cubic dissipates per turn. In a stiff breeze, up to 10 cubic inches per turn may be blow away.

Crossfire's quarrel pouch can hold up to 24 quarrels; she will select an appropriate mixture of types for each new mission.

Under Tactics/M.O: She can to a certain extent, deflect her quarrels off walls, ceilings, etc., to get at targets not in a normal line of fire. She cannot deflect a shot more than once and when she does it counts as a special attack. Her calling card is to leave a business card with the symbol of the Zodiac sign of Sagittarius, usually attached to the shot that does her target in.

Trickshot, also from Most Wanted, vol. 1
Special Weapon: modified sixguns with special bullets:
Special Bullets: All of Trickshot's bullets can be ricocheted off walls, etc. en route to their target (save vs. A on 1d20 per rebound or the bullet goes off course), without the bullet releasing its special effect until it reaches its final target. Ricochets can be used to achieve attacks from behind, around corners, etc.:
a) Explosive Bullet: explodes for 1d12 damage on impact.
b) TearGas: 4" cubic cloud released on impact, Chemical attack causes temporary blindness and choking (E save on 1d20 between turns to shrug off its effects, if the character escapes the cloud).
c) Smoke: 6" cubic cloud releases on impact, as Darkness.
d) Flare: 1d8 damage plus carrier Flame burst for 1d8 more damage. Burns for 2 turns, 3" radius continual Blinding Flash as per Light Control.
e) Gun Specifications: HTH +4, standard bullets do 1d10 damage, 230" range, Self-Destruct setting: up to 10 turn timer, explodes as Medium Bomb. Safety: backfires vs. the guns wielder, with whatever in the chamber.

Lastly, in Opponents Unlimited, the criminal ice-cream driver Ben Johmoka has Special Weapon: A coin changer that has a number of functions. One dollar's worth of charges can be used per day.
a) Penny: smoke pellet. Range = 20 inches, produces a cloud of dark, irritating smoke that is 10 inches by 10 inches. It lasts for 1d4 +2 turns (less windy conditions).
b) Nickel: flash pellet with range of 20 inches. Treat as a blinding light control attack. The burst diameter is five inches.
c) Dime: power blast with range of 20 inches.
d) Quarter: a jet belt that allows Ben to fly at a rate of 220 mph for 10 turns.
e) Quarter: paralysis ray, range is 15".
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:37pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:13am:
Bumping this back up, as we've got some new members, and I'd like to see someone, besides me, test this out in a game. I'd like to hear some feedback on the way this plays out. 

Actually I am wanting to try this out in our online game.  I will send the character to you this weekend.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:06pm:
dsumner wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:13am:

Actually I am wanting to try this out in our online game.  I will send the character to you this weekend.

I'm looking forward to someone giving this one a try, namely to find out if I'm talking out of the side of my neck, or if it's actually a balanced power.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 1:47pm:
John wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:34pm:

What do you guys think?

I tend to stay away from cash, as I really don't see that happening in comics. Hank Pym wants a shrink ray, he just whips it up. Gizmo grabs some scrap parts, and creates a missile launcher, etc. etc.

We pretty much steer clear of cash as well; though it occasionally comes up with things like Armor repair.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #24 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I'd really like to have someone, other than me, give this a shot in a game.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I was thinking of making an NPC with this power,  so when I play test it, I will post again.

IP Logged

Aramax
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
One of the few good things about the original DC roleplaying games and I use a version of it was the Omnigadgets.
In my game Omnigadgets have 2 stats power levelA-D( a hold over from the original rules and a purpuse:Offencive,defencive,utility or true Omni.each device can be used once per sesion and the player keeps a list of
omnis hes used so that he can gradually up the power level
and speed play

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Aramax wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 4:46pm:
One of the few good things about the original DC roleplaying games and I use a version of it was the Omnigadgets.
In my game Omnigadgets have 2 stats power levelA-D( a hold over from the original rules and a purpuse:Offencive,defencive,utility or true Omni.each device can be used once per sesion and the player keeps a list of
and speed play

Could you provide an example of how this plays out?

YIM  
IP Logged

Trev-Man
Sidekick

V&V Rocks!

Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:20am
Print Post  
If I'm remembering correctly, Omni Gadgets can work for utility belts and trick arrows, where a hero gets 1 or more wildcard items that they can declare any time--to improve their chances of having the right item at the right time. It helps explain a lot of coincidences in comics. But the retroactive quality about it adds a cartoony feel to RPGs for me. I like the old school approach where you have to know what gear you have ahead of time--you don't get any Jokers in your hand.

There may have been other ways Omni Gadgets were used that I'm not remembering. I liked the DC game well enough, but I don't have a copy of the rules anymore.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Trev-Man wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:20am:
If I'm remembering correctly, Omni Gadgets can work for utility belts and trick arrows, where a hero gets 1 or more wildcard items that they can declare any time--to improve their chances of having the right item at the right time.

So, in V&V terms, the character would have a % chance of having the appropriate piece of gear? Say something like a lock pick, mini-cutting torch, etc?

YIM  
IP Logged

Trev-Man
Sidekick

V&V Rocks!

Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:23am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:38am:
So, in V&V terms, the character would have a % chance of having the appropriate piece of gear? Say something like a lock pick, mini-cutting torch, etc?

It's more like saying they have 1-2 (or more) wildcard features as part of their special weapon equipment (utility belt, trick boomerangs, etc). When they're in a bind, they can declare that one of those wildcard uses is a certain item. There's no die rolling to see if they have the item.

When I said it improves their chances of having an item at a given time, I should have been more clear. If the character hasn't used a wildcard item, they can make one of those uses what they want (within reason). But if they have used up the wildcard uses, they they're stuck with the standard gear already specified on the character sheet.

I think it adds for too much coincidence and retroactive form-fitting in the game--even if the results make the character more closely match some comic book characters.

I don't like "dumb luck" in games.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:25am by Trev-Man »  

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Aren't gadgets already covered with V&V using Invention Points?

IP Logged

Aramax
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:08pm:
Aramax wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 4:46pm:
and speed play

Could you provide an example of how this plays out? 

Sure,  Batman  has just missed a HTH attack,cleverly contained in his glove is a co2 canister that shoots a blast of gas to redirect the attack(basicly allowing a re-roll)
This is an example of an Offencive B omni gadget in action.
They wanted to put a giant monster out of its misery,Batman
pulls an Offencive omni A that takes the form of an explosive shaped charge and proceedes to blow ou the monsters brain stem.
Batman wants to do a little more damage and uses an Offencive C to make  a 1 D12 lightning carrier attack

IP Logged

Bill W.
Sidekick

Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:58pm:
Aren't gadgets already covered with V&V using Invention Points? 

Yep. And for the most part it works very well. Some characters have a Special Weapon that covers a set of minor devices (similar to Hawkeye or Batman's belt). But I think Inventing Points are a great way to explain all the additions that are added. As a result, I've never added Gadgateering as a specific ability. Like you say, Inventing Points do the trick pretty darn well for me.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
We have a regular PC - Quiasar - who is the "Ultimate Boy Scout".  He is always prepared for any emergency; he simply reaches into his 'Q-Kit' (basically a 'bag of holding') and pulls out what he needs.  But he does this, NOT by having a wild card that consistently changes, but by showing us - having literally written it all out - that he has these items.  At times it's near ridiculous; after all, he has items like a couple of bio-hazard suits, a satellite uplink, and all sorts of specialized gear.  But, to be fair, he has written all of it down, and his character does have extraordinary Strength (along with plenty of money and access to specialized equipment).

Our characters are currently stranded in an apocalyptic future, and we had something fairly unbelievable happen the other night - four times (in one session) Quiasar didn't have a particular item in his Q-Kit.  He didn't even have duct tape in it!

It provides lots of in-jokes among our group; often somebody threatens to actually (in real life) go out and assemble all of the things he holds in this large, backpack-like holder, just to see if it would take the equivalent of a large U-haul truck to house it all!    Cheesy

He pretty much carries ordinary items (flashlights, infrared goggles, anti-venom kit, etc.) so he's never really had to invent items, and he's technically not really even a Gadgeteer (more of an Energy Projector); it's just one aspect of this character that's been elaborated on over the nearly 20 years he's been played.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>