Normal Topic Ever Try Champions? (Read 1447 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Ever Try Champions?
Jun 22nd, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I did once. The rules of character creation were so overwhelming, I got scared off and never went back.

One of the many things I love about V&V is how quickly you can put a character together.

There are some long math equations in V&V, like carry cap and jumping, but nothing approaching the math required for playing Champions.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Ever Try Champions?
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I never tried it.  I bought a sourcebook for it years ago and decided to do Chinese Algebra instead.  It was less daunting.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I looked through some of the rules books growin' up. As problematic as V&V's random system can be, I never liked a point-based system. When Different Worlds wrote up the Titans back in the day, they had to give all the Titans dopey weaknesses to make the points work out. Like, they all had a vulnerability to poisons as a weakness. And it didn't make sense that they got weaknesses for bein' hunted by the HIVE and other villains. I mean, they're heroes--of course they'r hunted by the villains. I mean, what else do ya think villains should do?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
I always thought the "Hunted By..." weakness as being pretty cool, and wished V&V had that.

I've only played a few times, and prefer V&V far more (for many reasons).

I've purchased a few of the adventures and supplements over the years, often just to get the cool character images out of them.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Okay, but w/the Titans, they didn't start out hunted by the HIVE. They were all around for years before any of their "new" foes appeared. So what happens in cases like that: ev'ry time yer team gets a new enemy each player gets more hero points?

What happens when the villains are defeated--and no longer huntin' the heroes? Do they lose points and get weaker?

On the flip-side, in a point-based system, with "hunted by" as a weakness, do heroes actually make their opponents stronger by fighting them? I mean, should the X-Men say, "Yo, Avengers, don't fight Magneto. He's already hunted by us. If your team starts to fight him, too, he'll be even more powerful!"
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2009 at 2:26pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Champions was the first supers game I ever played (followed up quickly by V&V), and I've got a huge stockpile of Champions material. But after the 4th edition (my personal favorite), I quite playing.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>