Normal Topic Heightened Attack (Read 2060 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Heightened Attack
Jul 9th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
  I was thininking that this power is just too flat out dull.   I would like to spice it up a bit.

First, when you roll this power, you roll  1D100
1-60  your bonus is with one form of a ttack
61-90 your bonus is with a group of attacks.
91-00 your bonus is with any attack.

Next the player decides their bonus.  Either plus level on damage, or to hit.  No big changes, I just like a bit of randomness to the power.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Heightened Attack
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Nice.

I've seen another idea that also echoes Heightened Expertise where it could just be a straight out +4 to damage, rather than +1 per level.

Useful if your GM is famous for short lived campaigns. Wink

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
On one of my PCs (my namesake, Majestic) I essentially had a "Devices Guy" with a pretty wimpy battlesuit (no Armor originally, just a Life Support suit with some other devices).

I decided to go with an alternate form of Heightened Attack, and rationalized that it was due to a synaptic enhancer that augmented the character in battle.

So instead of giving him +1 damage per Level, it instead gives him +1 to Hit (with all attacks).

Helpful even at the lower levels, but once significantly up there - because we do longer campaigns, not short ones  Wink - it means he hardly ever misses!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Yow!  Shocked
Sounds like Bullseye has the same power.

What other powers does your namesake-sharing PC have?
What level is he now?

Thanks!
And it's good to see you here!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I've had a couple of modified versions of HGT Attack  (they should be listed in my house rules thread), but one version gives you a +1 to hit, instead of +1 damage, the other version is a modified version of Heightened Senses, called Combat Sense. the base power gives you a +1 to hit, +1 damage, and a -1 to be hit. As you advance in levels, you either get a +1 to hit,  a +1 to damage, or a the -1 to be hit. I'll post more details in a separate thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:23am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 5:47pm:
Yow!  Shocked
Sounds like Bullseye has the same power.

What other powers does your namesake-sharing PC have?
What level is he now?

Thanks!
And it's good to see you here!

Thank you, sir!

Majestic is pretty much a high Charisma character with devices, mainly a teleporting battle suit and a staff much like the ones you see on Stargate (that fire a blast of energy).  His teleportation is amazing, as he can go great distances, never has to worry about materializing inside something solid (the suit prevents it) and he has a powerful HUD that monitors eveything on the battlefield, which fits him well since he's such a tactical genius.

He started out being intended to be this 'Cleric'-type character (a healer), but ended up stepping into a leadership role for years, focusing on tactics, command, and other leader-type skills.

He also has a built-in AED (Revivication) that he has used to bring back people who were just killed with, and the suit also gives him super Strength.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Oh, and he had just hit 16th Level, which is when he more or less settled down and retired (had a kid with and then married another PC).  He's not been active for something like 5 years, though I've considered bringing him back lately.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:44pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
+16 to hit?!
Double Yow. Shocked

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:10pm:
+16 to hit?!
Double Yow. Shocked

You know, it's a lot, but one thing I've come to realize over the years is that characters SHOULD hit most of the time.  I've found that - by and large - it is best if PCs can tag what they're trying to hit at will, but that it's okay if the villain shrugs off the blow a few times (with Willpower, Armor, Invulnerability, etc.), but eventually they will likely fall.

Perhaps it's a result of playing with such a large group for so long, but I've found that it's extremely frustrating for players to wait 10-20 minutes for their opportunity to take an action, just to have their shot go wild and the villain dodging easily out of the way.

Now there's plenty of villains where that's the way they do things, and that's fine.  But with MANY other game systems, it is almost impossible to miss (for a proficient hero), and I think that makes a lot of sense (champion level heroes should be hitting their targets most of the time).

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Manstar in the V&V limited series is first level with Heightened Attack: +4 damage HTH

His stats appear in the first issue of the comic (written by Jack Herman and penciled by Jeff Dee).

For me, that makes this variation on the power/skill legit.

IP Logged

>