Normal Topic Returning Icons (Read 1483 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Returning Icons
Jul 10th, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I was struck by something as I read the recent Green Lantern Blackest Night preview (something given out on Free Comic Book Day, given to me by Justice on his latest trip to the NW):

In comics, when a hero or icon dies, another will often step up and take up the mantle, donning the old uniform and "bringing back" that hero somewhat. It's fairly common in DC, where we've had multiple heroes with the moniker Robin, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. and even Marvel gets in on the action occasionally (Captain America, Vision, etc.).

I realized that our group hasn't really done this, though we've had the occasional "resurrection" and explained it away due to cloning, cosmic empowering, or something similar.

Have any of you ever brought back a hero in your superhero roleplaying? If you have, have you had the name be the same (with perhaps the uniform very similar or exactly the same) with a different person underneath the costume?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Returning Icons
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
That has not happened yet in my game.  Most players just roll up a totally new character.  One player did   create his new character as his old character, but that guy only lasted one or two adventures.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I've never done it in V&V, but I've had it happen a couple of times in Champions. I've also had sidekicks take up the mantle of their mentors. I one that immediately pops into my mind Is the WWII hero American Eagle, and his sidekick Winger. Winger became American Eagle II, and his grandson would eventually become Warhawk.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
My current game has a PC that assumed the mantle of his grandfather's superhero identity. But the grandfather was an NPC conjured when this player made his character's background.
Never seen the switch go player to player.

Comic companies are powerfully motivated to do this to prevent trademarks / copyrights from lapsing when a character ""dies."

But RPGers would need to want to play another guy's character, or replay their own dead hero with a new character. Not lots of motivation, maybe.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 10th, 2009 at 10:04pm:
My current game has a PC that assumed the mantle of his grandfather's superhero identity. But the grandfather was an NPC conjured when this player made his character's background.
Never seen the switch go player to player.

Comic companies are powerfully motivated to do this to prevent trademarks / copyrights from lapsing when a character ""dies."

But RPGers would need to want to play another guy's character, or replay their own dead hero with a new character. Not lots of motivation, maybe.

Perhaps, but I think the idea is a sound one, especially for a character bringing back an homage to an old PC of his own (as opposed to doing something similar to another player's character).

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I don't disagree! I just haven't seen it. It would be cool.

Another PC was toying with it in my game, the way you describe (this was back in the 80's). His hero was a legend of the campaign. Gone now.
The player toyed with playing:
a) His sidekick who assumes the mantle
b) The hero's non-powered, unsuspecting brother who, when the hero goes missing for a year, receives a package from his brother the legendary hero telling him who he is, where the secret base and equipment is, with the wish that he continues in his footsteps.

In the end, the PC wanted to try a completely different character, just for a change.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:26pm:
I don't disagree! I just haven't seen it. It would be cool.

Well, it has sort of happened before in V&V. Remember Condor and Shatterman took up for Freedom Eagle.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>