Normal Topic V & V Weaknesses, additional options (Read 668 times)
SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

V & V Weaknesses, additional options
Sep 5th, 2009 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Some of the other popular superhero RPGs include common weaknesses that V&V doesn't. Since I'm not big on revising the random weakness table in the book, I've decided to look for ways to incorporate some of these other disadvantages into the current weakness structure.

CURSED: If the character was cursed by someone else, Vulnerability might do the trick. Physical Handicap would be another option, depending how the weakness was played out.

If the character's curse causes harm to others instead, a variation of Low Self-Control might do the trick.

Alternately, if others' simply react negatively to the character because of the rumors/history of the curse, Prejudice might be enough.

DEPENDENT (child or special-needs adult): This could be Special Requirement if the family tasks interrupt or add to the superheroes' crimefighting responsibilities in a significant way.

HUNTED: This option could fit under Vulnerability, since there's a specific organization/threat targeting one character over everyone else.

LACKS/REPRESSES EMOTIONS: Depending how it plays out, this could be Diminished Senses (I can think of some Star Trek storylines when a Vulcan or android doesn't pick up on emotional clues that would be obvious to everyone else).

Use Prejudice if the character's lack of emotions makes others uncomfortable/suspicious. Use Reduced Charisma if the character has a hard time relating to and expressing him/herself because of their lowered emotional intelligence.

Alternately, Low Self-Control is the option Jack Herman gave Raven of the Titans to denote that she was unable to express certain feelings.

OATH-BOUND: fits under Special Requirement if there are certain things the character can and can't do.

PUBLIC IDENTITY: This could be a form of Vulnerability, if the characers' loved ones will fall victim to criminal attacks. This could also be a form of Prejudice if the populace has a double standard and doesn't like the fact that a particular doctor, or attorney, or high school student, or whomever fights crime.

SECRET/DARK PAST: might be Phobia, if the character is exceptionally ashamed of their backstory and afraid to discuss it or afraid when reminded of things from the past. (As Jeff Dee suggested in his point-based revamp of V&V, this weakness could turn into Prejudice if the secret past gets out).

I could accept Special Requirement (must stay hush-hush) or Low Self-Control (can't talk about the past) as well.

UNUSUAL APPEARANCE: In a game where many superpowers cover the characters in armor or give them wings, the unusual appearance has to limit the character significantly to count as a weakness. Storm has white hair and blue eyes, which others notice, but it never seemed to hinder her.

But Changeling's green skin/hair is appropriate as Physical Handicap (as noted by Jack Herman) because it limits his ability to go incognito when he transforms (the way other shape-changers can).

I'd accept Nightcrawler's appearance as a Physical Handicap or Prejudice (on top of being a mutant) becuase the BAMF scent when he teleports hinders him from surprising others and makes others uncomfortable. And early on at least, he used a special device to try to blend in when he was out in the public (because simply wearing a trench coat like Thing or Beast someohow didn't work).

With all due respect to Charles Xavier and Lex Luther (silver age), premature baldness no longer counts as a weakness.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:52am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

>