Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Body Power Option (Read 2921 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Body Power Option
Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Many characters in comics and science fiction have a distinctly unconventional appearance that doesn't help them in any discernable way--and doesn't hinder them much either.

With that in mind, here's an option I now use with randomly generated characters with Body Power.

If the players don't want living hair or blaster eyes or suction cup tentacles, etc., they can pick another power--so long as they give themselves a physical distinction (unconnected with the power) that makes them stand out in a crowd yet isn't severe enough to count as a physical handicap or prejudice.

A great example from comics is Doc Samson. When originally conceived, there was the perception that his long, green hair was tied to his strength. But as it turned out that's just not the case. Rather, the green hair is a side effect of the gamma radiation that also gave him his strength.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:07am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Body Power Option
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:33am
Print Post  
True, and I've seen several modules where the body power was "double strength score", or "2XWeight" Unless bulging muscles is a physical distinction... I love Doc Sampson, one of my favorite heroes!

I currently have a hero who's main power is Light Control, he rolled Body Power, and we came up with the idea of his physical body turning into photons.  Whenever he powers up, he basically turns into light.  This gives him Non-Corporealness as a defense.  he hasn't realized yet that he can't affect physical things while in this form, he knows he can't pass through opaque objects, but can pass through clear glass.  I plan to let him use inventing points to learn how to "phase" parts of his body so that he'll be able to catch that falling construction worker, etc... but for now, it's a rocking defense, and fits his character well.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:24am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:07am:
Many characters in comics and science fiction have a distinctly unconventional appearance that doesn't help them in any discernable way--and doesn't hinder them much either.

With that in mind, here's an option I now use with randomly generated characters with Body Power.

If the players don't want living hair or blaster eyes or suction cup tentacles, etc., they can pick another power--so long as they give themselves a physical distinction (unconnected with the power) that makes them stand out in a crowd yet isn't severe enough to count as a physical handicap or prejudice.

A great example from comics is Doc Samson. When originally conceived, there was the perception that his long, green hair was tied to his strength. But as it turned out that's just not the case. Rather, the green hair is a side effect of the gamma radiation that also gave him his strength.

The first edition rules had a "physical mutation" power that basically did exactly what you describe. The character's body was altered in some way (a tail, fur, whatever), but the mutation also provided them a power.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:24am:
The first edition rules had a "physical mutation" power that basically did exactly what you describe. The character's body was altered in some way (a tail, fur, whatever), but the mutation also provided them a power. 

I like that. Maybe that should be what Body Power does: you get a power that is connected to your form (which can be most any power really) AND an odd appearance thing. But I don't know if the two need be related.

Beast Boy's Body Power gives Transformation and the side effect of green skin. (And his Weakness, Low Self Control, makes the green skin stick through any Transformation)

Doc Samson's Body Power is 'Double his Strength' and the side effect of green hair.

Well. It certainly explains Wolverine's winged hairdoo and mighty muttonchops. They must be a side effect of his Body Power: Regeneration.

Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:07pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Actually, I remember them saying that Logan's hair wont stay cut and it grows back to that length rather fast due to his rapid healing.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I once had a player in my group whose body power was smoke. He didn't have a "permanent" body but his smoke like body had a swirl to it giving him a full time non corporealness look and defense.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
That sounds like it would be a cool looking visual as well.

G7

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:33am:
True, and I've seen several modules where the body power was "double strength score", or "2XWeight" 

You're absolutely right. I've read through almost every V&V module and sourcebook, and body power frequently increases weight/stats, or mirrors an existing power.

One of the most creative body powers belongs to the Golem from Terror by Night (and resembles an ability used by the mutant Blob who fought the X-Men).

The golem has the special Body Power that anyone who hits it will find the striking object stuck in the golem's synthi-clay body. A d100 Strength roll must be made to pull away from the golem, and if a character's limb is stuck, any attacks he directs at the golem are at -5 to hit.

As I posted in the thread about Animal Powers for Animals, the villain Jaws (Jacob Beachly) in Most Wanted, vol. 1 has this shark-inspired lockjaw power.

Body Power: Jacob's jaws operate like those of a shark; after a successful bite he may lock his jaws allowing automatically successful HTH attacks thereafter until his grip is broken (requiring a character with a 2000 pound carrying capacity, and that character must make an Endurance save on 1d20 to succeed).

It's noteworthy that Jaw's own carrying capacity is only 764 lbs. (which is 38.2% the strength necessary to break free of his own bite).

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 5:23am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 15th, 2009 at 9:43pm:
That sounds like it would be a cool looking visual as well.

G7

It is, courtesy of mighty Mike Allred!

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/smokeeee.htm

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:40am
Print Post  
And here's an image I used for a similarly powered villain named Smog.
I forget where I found it.

Smog.jpg ( 30 KB | 4 Downloads )
Smog.jpg
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Smog is from Blackwyrm Game's Algernon Files. Even though you may not play M&M or Champions, I'd suggest you check out the books, as they've got very cool characters.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks. M&M used to have a 'Mutant Art' section on their site that I could raid for images, but they've since shut it down.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
It was renamed the "Drawing Board" section, and moved here - http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=39cf66a9b4f44a2a4f5bd25a96...

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:05am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:23pm:
It was renamed the "Drawing Board" section, and moved here - http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=39cf66a9b4f44a2a4f5bd25a96...

Thanks!!!!
What don't you know about the V&V community? Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:05am:

Thanks!!!!
What don't you know about the V&V community? Smiley

Quite a lot actually, as I learn new things regularly. As far as M&M, and Blackwyrm Games in particular goes, I've got an inside scoop, as I've done playtesting for several of their products. They're a good group of guys, very supportive of their fan base, and a couple of them are former V&V gamers (they've currently got a long running Champions campaign going).

If you get the chance, swing over to their website, and take a look, as they've got some good products on the market. I can't recommended The Algernon Files Vol. I and II enough. Some really good material to be mined.

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Since I already listed two Body Powers that I like from the modules above, I'll add two more here as well, instead of creating a new thread over in the Citadel.

It will be easy to think of characters from comics who have body powers similar to those listed below.

In addition to his animal powers, and the Body Power to hold his breath for twenty minutes, the Alligator from The Secret in the Swamp has this Body Power: Due to abnormally powerful musculature, Alligator can lift twice normal Carrying Capacity with his tail. It also does 2d8 damage when it strikes. (Without his tail, his standard BHTHD = 1d12.)

Tackle the T.O.T.E.M. includes the villain Jotunn, with his Body Power: Booming voice can be heard by all within a square mile, 62" range for attack as Sonics, does 1d12 damage with PR of 1 per attack. (His strength is 31.)

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2009 at 11:02pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Body Power: Disguise Voice
Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Here's a minor ability I've seen on film often enough to give it a V&V write-up.

Body Power: Disguise Voice
The character has an extraordinary ability to imitate the accents and speech patterns of others. PR = 0.

When using this power to impersonate others over the telephone or somewhere out of sight, only those who are very familiar with the person being imitated receive a det. hidden roll to discern that the speaker is an impostor (GM's discretion). Otherwise the disguised voice will sound authentic.

Passing a voice-recognition scan when impersonating someone else may require the character to save vs. Intelligence (d20).

The character may have other speech-based abilities as well, such as ventriloquism (others require a det. hidden roll to see the character's lips/throat move if they try discreetly "throwing their voice" ).
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:37am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

>