Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Combat Savant (Read 4873 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Combat Savant
Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Combat Savant: Through some innate ability the character's fighting abilities, and senses, are enhanced, providing him with bonuses to his accuracy, damage, and defense. The character receives an initial bonus of +1 to hit, +1 damage, and a -1 to be hit. The character will receive and additional +1 or -1 bonus, per level, to a maximum of +4/-4. This bonus is in addition to any training bonuses the character may receive. The character's defense bonus only applies while the character is conscious and mobile.

EXAMPLE: Battlemaster is a 1st level character w/Combat Savant. He initially receives +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and -1 to be hit. At 2nd level, he gets an additional point, and uses it to increase his accuracy. So, now he’s got +2 to hit, a +1 damage modifier, and -1 to be hit. At 3rd level, he's decided he wishes to use his abilities to decrease his chances of being hit, so now he's +2 to hit, +1 damage, and -2 to be hit.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:41pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Re: Combat Sense
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Other than the initial gain of + to acc/dam... wouldn't that just mirror training?
But then again... it would be above and beyond that.
Not bad. But as the character progresses... they could become incredibly powerful (and lord knows with the right power combinations this could be downright lethal).
Though a characters I could see having this is Spider Man, Taskmaster, Daredevil, Captain America, Deadpool, Viper etc. all of whom are excellent at hitting and hurting but difficult to actually hit.

I think it has value.

G7

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:57pm:
Other than the initial gain of + to acc/dam... wouldn't that just mirror training?

The bonus would be in addition to any training the character gets.

Guardian7 wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:57pm:
But then again... it would be above and beyond that.
Not bad. But as the character progresses... they could become incredibly powerful (and lord knows with the right power combinations this could be downright lethal).

I really don't think it would be any more lethal than any of the the other bonuses, as you only get to choose one bonus per level.

YIM  
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:01am
Print Post  
This needs a cap saying no individual bonus can exceed +/- 4-8 or whatever number your comfortable with.
Or you can pick one of the bonuses and assign a specialty. So in one score the character can increase his bonus to say 8 and the others are limited to 4. A guy who gets to level 15 and assigns all bonuses to defense and is running around with a -15 to be hit along with his other powers can be unbalanced.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:01am:
This needs a cap saying no individual bonus can exceed +/- 4-8 or whatever number your comfortable with.
Or you can pick one of the bonuses and assign a specialty. So in one score the character can increase his bonus to say 8 and the others are limited to 4. A guy who gets to level 15 and assigns all bonuses to defense and is running around with a -15 to be hit along with his other powers can be unbalanced.

While a character could end up with a really high bonus in one ability, I don't see it as being any different than than Heightened Attack, with its +1 point of damage per level.  But I do see your point. I may cap the maximum bonus at a + 8, or -8 no matter what level the character advances to.

YIM  
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:15am
Print Post  
I think the damage bonus is less powerful than a bonus to hit or to avoid being hit because it deals with a different point scale. Basically your value range to determine whether you hit your target is between 1 and 20. The amount of damage you need to do to incapacitate your opponent by depleting Hit Points can be anywhere from 10-multiple hundreds or thousands. So the damage bonus is scaled against a much wider range of values making it less powerful. However,the bonus to hit or avoid being hit is working on a relatively fixed scale. So a -15 to be hit for example is an overall 75% increase in defense. A +15 to damage is beneficial but it's effectiveness is not as reliable as other bonuses. If your opponent has 10 hit points a +15 is huge. Against an opponent with 200 Hit points it becomes less than a 10% bonus.

I think this is at least part of the reason why Heightened Attack is treated differently than Heightened Defense or Heightened Expertise which are static +4 bonuses instead of a value gain per level. Generally I think landing or avoiding a blow is just more valuable than how much damage you inflict.  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Valid points, so I'll have to playtest this a bit, before I finalize the way I want it to work.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
OK, after giving this some thought, and reading over everyone's comments, I've decided to cap this at a +/-8 bonus to any one ability. Hopefully that will balance this out. Plus, I'd really like to see someone test this out in a game, and let me know how it works for them.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I think it's wise to set a cap, and - though I haven't playtested this (yet) - I think +8 is to much.  Not for damage (as others have pointed out), and not even so much to hit (I don't mind characters being super accurate), but as a defense that's too much.  Imagine this being combined with a Heightened Defense (or two), and someone could be obnoxiously hard to hit.  Shoot, combine -8 (the equivalent of 2 Heightened Defenses) with a great defense like Non-Corporealness, Astral Projection, or Vibratory Powers, and you've got a character that is borderline overpowered (unless they're taking on an entire team).  I'd recommend moving your max. for defense to -4.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I'd have to look at it on a case by case basis.  I've had a PC with Heightened Def X2, -8 to be hit, and it wasn't too bad, as that was his only defense.  Actually one of my worst combinations was non-corporealness and Invulnerability, almost never got hit, and when he did took no damage.  One tough cookie.

I do agree, when you combine it with other defenses, it could be unbalancing. 

That did make me curious.  I usually apply all defenses, taking the to hit down to 0, then apply accuracy the bonus.  This almost always results in a "chance" to hit, though sometimes a small chance...  Is that how everyone does it?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I'm thinking the power would be used to simulate people like  oe Terminator (back in his younger years), who almost never get hit (unless it's by some area attack), and would still be a beast in HTH. While the -8 to be hit might seem a little high ot some, it's no worse than some of the possible power combinations I've seen, and the character would still be vulnerable to other forms of attacks, like Psionics.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:58am:
I'd have to look at it on a case by case basis.  I've had a PC with Heightened Def X2, -8 to be hit, and it wasn't too bad, as that was his only defense.  Actually one of my worst combinations was non-corporealness and Invulnerability, almost never got hit, and when he did took no damage.  One tough cookie.

I do agree, when you combine it with other defenses, it could be unbalancing. 

That did make me curious.  I usually apply all defenses, taking the to hit down to 0, then apply accuracy the bonus.  This almost always results in a "chance" to hit, though sometimes a small chance...  Is that how everyone does it?

That's not how we do it (or how I've seen it done by other V&V players from around the world that I've met).

What we do is first add all bonuses.  Let's say the character has Power Blast (base 16) and they have an accuracy of +2, a Heightened Expertise of +4, and (later on in our example, due to Level) a +1.

We would write down (on the bottom of the character sheet) the following:

Power Blast - 22

That is the character's "Base Chance to Hit" (his or her base amount modified by accuracy and any bonuses; note that it does NOT have level bonuses factored in, because that changes every time).

When he faces a character who has Non-Corporealness (which takes Power Blast down to a 0) as well as a couple of Heightened Defenses (for a total of -8), I/we do the math like this:

Start with their 'Base': 22

Look at the combat chart and see what kind of minus to apply (Power Blast vs. Non-Corporealness is a subtraction of 16).

So now we're at 6.

From there you subtract the two Heightened Defenses (-8) to take it to -2.

But then (lastly) we add in +1 for level, which takes us to a total of -1.

The character now has a -1 to hit, modified by range (which hardly ever comes up) and facing.

In our example here, I would have my cheat sheet (prepared before we begin playing) that cross-indexes every attack and defense for every character.  For our example I would write:

-1 (15)

This tells me that the character can only truly hit the character (with N/C and 2 HD's) if he rolls a "1".  UNLESS he gets great facing on that character (such as above or behind), which adds a +4.  In that case, he is going to have a 3 or less to hit.

Note that in the above example, the reason I list both numbers is because of the way the defenses work.  If we go back to the basic example (and assume no facing bonuses), the character needs to roll a "1" to hit (which always hits).  If he rolls a 2-15 he technically HITS the target, but it is impacted by the Non-Corporealness defense (which means that his blast goes right through the ghost-like defender).  If he rolls a 16-20 then he just plain misses entirely (and you roll for a chance of an incidental hit).

Hope that explains things a little better.

Basically, according to the rules - you start out with the lowest number on the combat chart (which at the very minimum will be "0") and then build from there (adding or subtracting based on things like level, facing, etc.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2010 at 5:22pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 17th, 2010 at 11:57am:
I'm thinking the power would be used to simulate people like  oe Terminator (back in his younger years), who almost never get hit (unless it's by some area attack), and would still be a beast in HTH. While the -8 to be hit might seem a little high ot some, it's no worse than some of the possible power combinations I've seen, and the character would still be vulnerable to other forms of attacks, like Psionics.

My only problem with that is the way we envision "hits" and
"misses".  A character with -8 means that they are so fast and agile that you can't ever land a hit on them.  For a "Terminator" like character, I want them to get hit all the time (he always seems to take tons of hits), but also able to shrug off eveyrthing that comes at him (i.e., Invulnerability or Armor).  This one is so much like Heightened Defense that it seems like a character with it would be able to duck and dodge to avoid being hit.  I suppose if one simply wrote that the bonus only means they are getting hit but ignoring the damage, then that would be cool.

IP Logged

Bill W.
Sidekick

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 5:25pm:
"misses".A character with -8 means that they are so fast and agile that you can't ever land a hit on them.For a "Terminator" like character, I want them to get hit all the time (he always seems to take tons of hits), but also able to shrug off eveyrthing that comes at him (i.e., Invulnerability or Armor).This one is so much like Heightened Defense that it seems like a character with it would be able to duck and dodge to avoid being hit.I suppose if one simply wrote that the bonus only means they are getting hit but ignoring the damage, then that would be cool. 

The last point about getting hit but ignoring damage could be a form of Willpower B. Soulburner in Pre-Emptive Strike has Willpower B as 12 points of Invulnerability.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
"misses".  A character with -8 means that they are so fast and agile that you can't ever land a hit on them.  For a "Terminator" like character, I want them to get hit all the time (he always seems to take tons of hits), but also able to shrug off eveyrthing that comes at him (i.e., Invulnerability or Armor).  This one is so much like Heightened Defense that it seems like a character with it would be able to duck and dodge to avoid being hit.  I suppose if one simply wrote that the bonus only means they are getting hit but ignoring the damage, then that would be cool.

I think you're thinking of the wrong Terminator. I'm talking about Slade Wilson, Deathstroke: The Terminator ( should have been a little clearer in my explanation). Slade, especially when he first appeared, almost never got hit. HE was all over the place. He'd take on the entire Teen Titans, and they almost never laid a hand on him.

As for as your reasons for wanting to limit the defense bonus go, they're all reasonable, but in my games, I don't personally mind a few characters having a defense that high, as I think it simulates the effect I want.

YIM  
IP Logged

Trev-Man
Sidekick

V&V Rocks!

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:28am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm:
As for as your reasons for wanting to limit the defense bonus go, they're all reasonable, but in my games, I don't personally mind a few characters having a defense that high, as I think it simulates the effect I want.

I've seen characters who rolled Heightened Defense twice. It makes them pretty hard to hit. If they evade as well, they're very unlikely to get hit by anything other than Force Field or Power Blast.

dsumner wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:59pm:
OK, after giving this some thought, and reading over everyone's comments, I've decided to cap this at a +/-8 bonus to any one ability. Hopefully that will balance this out. Plus, I'd really like to see someone test this out in a game, and let me know how it works for them.

Other than my note above, I'm not big on testing out other people's house rules to give them feedback. No offense.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2010 at 8:30am by Trev-Man »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm:

I think you're thinking of the wrong Terminator. I'm talking about Slade Wilson, Deathstroke: The Terminator ( should have been a little clearer in my explanation). Slade, especially when he first appeared, almost never got hit. HE was all over the place. He'd take on the entire Teen Titans, and they almost never laid a hand on him.

Yep, I thought you were talking about Ahnuld.    Wink

It's funny, but my kids grew up on Teen Titans Go! so they don't even know him by that name - I think they simply call him Slade.

And yes, we occasionally have characters with 2 HDs (so -8 to hit); I'm okay with this if it's rare.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:52pm:
And yes, we occasionally have characters with 2 HDs (so -8 to hit); I'm okay with this if it's rare.

I wouldn't let everyone and their momma have it, but for a character like Deathstroke, or someone that was supposed to be a master Ninja, I think it would be the perfect fit.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I was thinking about a variant of this were you could take your pluses and minus and change them on a turn by turn bases.  Kind of like you change your tactics based on the situation.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:05am:
Majestic wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:52pm:

I wouldn't let everyone and their momma have it, but for a character like Deathstroke, or someone that was supposed to be a master Ninja, I think it would be the perfect fit.

Totally agree.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:26am:
I was thinking about a variant of this were you could take your pluses and minus and change them on a turn by turn bases.  Kind of like you change your tactics based on the situation.

That's kind of a cool idea.  Against some foes you might want to improve your accuracy; against others you might need damage.  Still others might cause you to switch to defensive mode.

I like it!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 2:09pm:
John wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:26am:

That's kind of a cool idea.  Against some foes you might want to improve your accuracy; against others you might need damage.  Still others might cause you to switch to defensive mode.

I like it!

I always figured Captain America and Deathstroke the Terminator have this version of this power.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Combat Savant
Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I've done a slight re-write.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Combat Savant
Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Bump.