Sticky Topic Empire City Source Book (Read 16648 times)
dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Empire City Source Book
Oct 8th, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I'll be using this section to post information on the various people and places that populate Empire City.

EMPIRE CITY

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2019 at 4:18pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Empire City Source Book
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
General Campaign Info

SETTING

The world's primer team of heroes, The Guardians, have gone missing. Approximately two weeks ago, they rocketed off into space, after receiving a distress call from the alien powerhouse Andromeda's home world, and haven't been heard from since, and now the city's criminal element has begun to take advantage of their absence. Petty crime is steadily rising, and various supervillains are once again making their presence felt. The nation's leaders are beginning to fear the worst, and the President has issued a call for help. He's asked that new heroes step up, and help their nation in a time of need. He's guaranteed that anyone accepting his offer will have the full backing of BSI and the federal government. Your characters have responded to that call.

The setting is standard four-color, with some modern elements, so no Punisher, Deadpool, etc., killing machines. The game will primarily be set in the fictional setting of Empire City, a large modern day metropolis, located on the Eastern Seaboard, of the US (it's my stand in for NYC).

Technology

Tech wise, this world is similar to our own, but some restricted technology is far in advance of what we see today. The US government, other nations, and certain heroes/villains routinely make use of things such as FTL travel, mecha, directed energy weapons, power armor, etc., but the average person on the street isn't going to have access to a teleporter or power armor.

History

Costumed "Mystery Men", first began appearing during the late 1930's. WWII saw the emergence of true super powered beings, with both the Allies and Axis powers making use of them. America's primer heroes banded together to form, what is acknowledged as the world's first super-team, the The Minutemen. Lead by the charismatic American Eagle, the team battled everything from Nazi supermen, to home grown menaces, such as the Black Hand. J. Edgar Hoover, seeing a chance to expand the reach of his Bureau of Investigation, orders the formation of the Office of Paranormal Investigation.

The anti-communist paranoia of the 1950's, saw many of these heroes either retiring or forced underground. Fortunately, the 1960's saw a resurgence of  costumed heroes, with the return of many familiar faces, such as the American Eagle (it was later revealed that this American Eagle was actually the original's former teen sidekick, Winger, who'd taken up the mantle of his mentor), and the debut of several new young heroes inspired by the return of their predecessors.

The 1970's and 80's saw a virtual explosion in the number of super-beings, and as a response, the Department Justice forms a new law enforcement agency, the Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI). The 70's also saw the formation of Empire City's new protectors, the band of heroes known as the Guardians.

Throughout the 70's and 80's the Guardians took on the city's worst.  As their notoriety began to grow, the group's ranks began to swell with new members. And while steady changed throughout the 90's, the same group of seven members, served as the group's core for many years.

The early 2000's saw the rise of a number of new, more violent costumed criminals. Groups such as the Dominators, the Cybertibe, and Tyrrany. Groups that would cuase the city's law enforcement officials many a sleepness night.

I'll be adding additional info later.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2013 at 5:03am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

The Empire City Rouges Gallery
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Known Villains/Criminal Organizations

ORGANIZED CRIME

In addition to the various super criminals, more mundane criminals abound in the city. Various organized crime organizations, such as the Mafia, Chinese Triads, the Japanese Yakuza, Russian and Albanian Mafia, Jamaican and Nigerian drug gangs, have all made their presence known in Empire City.

THE MAFIA

The two dominant Mafia "families" are the Moretti's and the Marcucci's. Anthony Moretti is the so-called "Godfather" of Empire City's organized crime families but tends to stay out of the limelight allowing his "captains" to run the day to day operations of his organization. 

CHINESE TRIADS

An up-and-coming threat to their power is the Jade Dragons Triad, a Chinese criminal organization operating primarily in the “China Town” area of Empire City. The group is originally based along the West Coast, (out of San Francisco and Seattle), but looking to expand its operations eastward, its recently set up shop in Empire City. Empire city was chosen as the Dragons’ next “franchise market”, due to its sizable Chinese immigrant population, its central location, and diverse industry base. The group is involved in human trafficking, narcotics smuggling (heroin), illegal arms sales, gambling, and protection rackets. They currently confine their activities to China Town, but they’re looking to move outward. Unlike their underworld brethren, they seem to have no compunctions about killing members of the law enforcement community.

Tiger Lilly - A deadly female assassin currently in the employ of the Jade Dragons. She's got a train of bodies from Hong Kong to Empire City.

The Whispering Dawn - A rival Chinese criminal organization that's making headway into Empire City's underworld.

Snap Dragon

ORGANIZATIONS

The Black Needles

A Mexican criminal cartel operating throughout Mexico, and along the Southwestern U.S. Border, they are involved in firearms and narcotics smuggling, human trafficking, prostitution, protection rackets, and other criminal activities. They're known to have made use of superpowered operatives in the past, namely, a Mexican national named the Coyote, and they're their newest operative, the assassin/enforcer El Diablo Rojo

The Cabal

A cabal of witches, warlocks, and others who dabble in the "dark arts". They're longtime rivals of the Dark Circle. Originally formed in Boston, Massachusetts in the early 20th century, they came to prominence during the mid-1930s, battle several of that era's costumed mystery men, they've recently resurfaced.

The Dark Circle

A group of powerful mystics dedicated to the return of "He Who Has No Name", one of the otherworldly monstrosities known as the"Old Ones".

The group's members tend to keep out of the limelight, preferring to orchestrate things from behind the scenes, leaving their underlings to handle more mundane tasks.

The Servants of Set

The Servants of Set is a fanatical religious group dedicated to worshiping the god Set, or the Egyptian pantheon of deities. While primarily based in the Middle East and North Africa, a number of their order made their way into North America during the early 20th Century, as travel became easier. Settling in in several major American metropolitan areas, they spread their influence and slowly began to build a network of supporters amongst those in positions of power and influence. BSI's predecessor, the FBI's Office of Paranormal Investigation began to take notice, and during the course of their investigation, several cult safehouses were raided, assets were seized, and the cult's US operations were thoroughly disrupted.

However, its recently been revealed that those raids only succeed in driving the cult's operations deeper underground. While it took them decades to rebuild their network, they're back in force. More worrisome to authorities, is the fact that they seem to have recently acquired several extremely powerful enchanted items, making them all the more dangerous.

The Brotherhood of Silence

A secret society of assassins, thieves, and saboteurs who've primarily operated in the Middle East, Asia, and Eastern Europe. Within the last decade, they've begun to make inroads into North and South America.

The Trust

The Trust, short for “The Brain Trust”, is an informal gathering of the world’s most brilliant criminal minds, who've gathered together to share information, and to provide each other mutual security. What they're long term plans are remains to be seen, but you can be assured, that whatever they are, they bode ill for the law-abiding citizens of the world.

Some of its known members include:

Hannibal
Janus
Mr. Know

Moriarty - The Trust maintains an AI computer network, called Moriarty, which contains files on the world’s major law and security services, as well as potential threats to its existence, such as superbeings and rival criminal organizations.

While a wide range of so-called "supervillains" are currently in existence, some of the more well-known ones are listed below:

INDEPENDENTS

Atomix
Blood Witch - A witch from the small Eastern European nation of Morovia.
The Huntsman
Lord Arcane
Radian

GROUPS

The Cybertribe

A group of "cybernetically enhanced" villains created by the sadistic scientist Splice. Their current membership includes:

Tigershark
Harpi
Tiger Paw

The Dominators

The supervillain group the Dominators are a group of superpowered terrorists with a penchant for high body counts. With the Guardians disappearance, rumors abound that the Dominators will soon be reappearing in Empire City.

Over the past half decade, the group's membership has remained relatively steady. On their last public appearance, the group's membership consisted of:

Ballistic - A cybernetically enhanced Native American super-soldier. A weapons expert, he's the group's field commander.
Cyberpath - A machine controller.
Host -  A malevolent psychic entity with the ability to possess the bodies of living creatures.
Killstreak - A bloodthirsty Aussie super-speedster
Mind Reaver - A powerful telepath, and the group's second in command.
Pyre - An African American pyrokinetic mutant with a taste for violence.
Razor - A British mutant who's hands generate an energy field that enables her to cut through most matter as though it were paper.
Wraith - Permanently non-corporal Russian mutant. His touch disrupts organic matter and electrical devices.

Former members include the telekinetic Wrath, the temperature controlling Shiver, and the "zombie" Cadaver, who is believed to be deceased, after accidentally being killed in a battle with the Guardians.

Todesengel - The group's transport aircraft.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 3:44am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
It is "I".. your chronicler who alone can thee of this saga... Smiley

Yes, I have been paying attention... posting a updated Empire city file now! Enjoy!

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Okay, I made some changes to a few items, reworked some to my liking, and deleted a few entries. More updates to follow.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I'm bumping this up, as I've got a little something I'm working on that makes use of some of this.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Making a few updates.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
What updates?

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:34pm:
What updates?

I'm starting to tinker with the background a bit. It's mostly small changes so far.
As I make them, I'll let you know.

YIM  
IP Logged

>