Locked Topic Magic in Empire City (Read 2012 times)
dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Magic in Empire City
Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Magic and Mystical Beings - Whether the general public chooses to believe it or not, magic and mystical beings exist in the world of Empire City. Mages, witches, warlocks, demons, etc., are alive and well, in this world.

Magic

Here's a few notes on the way I handle magic.

The maximum number of spells a character my have is = to his INT score. So a character with an INT score of 14, would be able to have a maximum of 14 spells. 

Variable Magic Option

A variant I'll allow characters to use is based on the "Power Pool" concept from Champions. Instead of having a specified list of spells to choose from, characters are basically allowed to come up with spells on the fly. As long as you, the player, can reasonably articulate what you want that spell to do, and have the power available to cast the spell, I'll allow you to do it. I'm pretty liberal in that respect, but I'll have final say so on any spells you come up with.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:48pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Magic in Empire City
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Here's a list of some of the spells I've used over the years. Feel free to use any of them at your leisure.

Magic Spells:

Acid Rain: Menacing looking dark clouds rapidly form over the area before releasing a highly corrosive rain storm on the victim. Attacks as Chemical Power. 2d8 damage, R=INT+END, PR=4.

Aura of Fear: Attacks as Emotion Control/Fear, the spell caster generates an aura that will cause those coming into contact with it, to recoil in fear. R=CHRx2, Max area affected = Power/2”, PR=2 per turn.

Babel: Save vs. Int x 3 on d100, or speak nothing but incoherent babble for 1d4 hours. R = Ix2, PR=4

Banshee’s Wale: Attacks as a Sonic attack inflicting 1d12 damage. PR=2, R= INT x 2

Beam of Frost: A beam of freezing cold emanates from the character's hand. Attacks as Ice Powers. R=INT. PR=3.

Cat's Eye: Grants the spellcaster night vision. No penalties for darkness. R=Self, PR=1

Charm: Allows the spellcaster roll on the reaction table that is most favorable to him, as though he had a Charisma of 30.

Command: Attacks as Mind Control. The spellcaster may issue a specific verbal command such as “Run away”, attack your friend, etc. The victim must save vs. CHR, on a 1d100, or  they will be forced to comply with the spellcaster’s wishes. R = C x 2, PR=8.

Dispersal: The spellcaster’s body dissolves into smoke. The caster may then move through any solid object on his next move as if it weren’t there. If the caster ends his movement in a solid object, such as a wall,  he immediately takes 1d8 damage, and reappears next to the object. PR=3

Eagle’s Claw: Attacks as Natural Weaponry for HTH+1d6 damage. R=INT x 2, PR=1

Enrage: Attacks as Emotion Control. Area affected = CHR”. Anyone in the affected area must save vs. INT or, become enraged, attacking both friend and foe alike, until they either make successful save, or be come exhausted. R=INT+ENDx2, PR=15

Fireball: Attacks as Flame Control doing 1d12 damage. Range is equal to Intelligence + Endurance. PR=3 per an attack.

Ghost Form: The spellcaster is transforms into a ghost like being, as per Non-Corporalness. R=Self. PR=3 per turn.

Inferno: On a successful attack role, the target is completely engulfed in mystical flames, which will continue to burn until extinguished, the spell caster is killed, or otherwise incapacitated. Attacks as Flame Power doing 1d12 damage per turn. Range is equal to Intelligence + Endurance. PR=8 per turn maintained.

Iron Will: Allows the spellcaster to defend against mystical and psionic attacks as though they had Willpower (A). R = Self, PR=2 per turn.

Jaylyn’s Merciful Touch: The spell caster is capable of mystically healing the wounds of anyone he lays hands on. The spellcaster must be in direct physical contact with the person he is attempting to heal, and must do nothing else for one full turn. If successful, the spell will heal 3d10 points of damage. R=Touch, PR=8

Jaylyn’s Healing Slumber: Allows the spellcaster to slip into a coma like state. While in this state, the spell caster will heal wounds and recover power at an accelerated rate. They’ll recover HP, at their standard rate, each hour, instead of per day. While in this state, the spellcaster is completely defenseless. PR=15.

Mirror Image: This spell creates a mirror image of the spellcaster. Treat as Illusions (A). R=INTx2, PR=2+1 per each additional image created. 

Mystic Bolt: Attack as Power Blast, 1d20 damage, R=ENDx2, PR=3

Noxious Vapor: The spellcaster exhales a cloud of noxious black vapor that attacks as Chemical Power, inflicting 2d8 damage on its target. R = E, PR=4

Run like the Wind: +100" of ground movement, PR=3, R = Self/Touch.

Sleep: Attacks as Mind Control. Victim must save vs. INT on d100 or sleep for 1d8 hrs. R=INT, PR=10

Smite: Forms a "hand" of mystical energies that allows the spellcaster to strike his opponent at a distance. PR=1, R = I+E/2, Damage = 1d8

Sphere of Protection: Creates a mystical barrier that completely surrounds the caster. Defends as Force field. PR=1 per square inch covered by the sphere, +1 per 2 points of damage repulsed. The maximum area that can be covered is per the Force Field rules in the rule book.

Spirit Drain: Victim is affected as though they were hit with a Devitalization Ray attack. R=INT x 2, PR=3

Steel Skin: The spellcaster’s skin becomes impervious to harm. The spellcaster is treated as though thy had 30 points of Invulnerability. R=Self, PR=5 per turn.

Thunderclap: When the spellcaster claps his hands, a massive sonic boom is created. Attacks as Sonic Abilities. 1d12 damage, R=END, PR=3

Tokor’s Mighty Fist: A giant mystical fist forms from the ether, allowing the spellcaster to strike his enemies from afar. Attacks as Force Field. 1d12 damage, R=ENDx2, PR=2

Tongues: Allows the spellcaster to speak & understand any language. PR=1, R = Self/Touch

Unlock: Opens any lock, R= I, PR=1

Whirlwind: The spellcaster creates a tornado that operates under his complete control. Attacks as Weather Control. R= I x 2. Damage as per Tornado on the Weather Control table.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 5:42am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Magic in Empire City
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:22pm

Magic items known to be in existence.

Pandora's Box
The Holy Grail

Excalibur: An enchancted longsword. +4 to hit, HTH+1d12 damage. +4 Charisma bonus. Ignores SR of objects with an SR of 12 or less. May only be welded by descendents of the Pendragon family blood line, or it looses it’s special abilities.

Medusa Mask: An enchanted mask, made from the esscense of a Gorgon, that grants its wearer the ability to turn living creatures to stone with its gaze. Attacks as Transmutation. R=25 inches. 8 uses per day.

The Spear of Destiny: +4 to hit. HTH+1d12 damage. Ignores the SR of any object with a SR of 18 or less. Has two special abilities:
a) Once per day, the bearer can be granted a damage bonus = to his CHR score, as long as he believes his cause is just.
b) +8 Charisma bonus.

Thor’s Belt: An enchanted Asgardian belt that grants its wearer +30 Strength, and doubles their carrying capacity when worn.

Thor’s Hammer (Mjölnir): +6 to hit. HTH+1d12 damage. 2x damage to Trolls and Giants. May be thrown up to Strength Inches.
a) Call Lighting: The Hammer has the ability to call lightning from the Heavens. Attacks as Lightning Control. 2d8 damage. 6 times per day.
b) Auto-Return: When thrown, it will automatically return to its owner.
c) Special Requirement: Anyone attempting to weld the hammer must have Strength and Charisma score of at least 16 to even pick the hammer up.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 5:37am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

>