Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1d12 Slugfest Option (Read 3165 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

1d12 Slugfest Option
Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
When two opponents are engaged in a HTH slugfest, essentially within arms' length of each other, use 1d12 (instead of 1d20) when making to-hit rolls on the combat chart.

This option reflects the fast-pace of comic book brawling matches, even among opponents without natural weaponry and other fighting skills.

Continue using 1d20 on to-hit rolls with swords, firearms, etc., because those weapons have built-in to-hit bonuses and can be clumsy to use without training (i.e. heightened expertise).

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009 at 2:24am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: 1d12 Slugfest Option
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
This certainly takes care of another of V&V's core weaknesses: the inablity of MOST people to hit each other when they are faced off against each other in simple HtH combat.

In comparison to most other RPGs, it's usually not difficult at all for a person to strike another person, especially if one is skilled and the other isn't, and/or if the defender doesn't have any special defenses (i.e., Heightened Defense, Evasion, etc.).  V&V's base of 5 is awfully low, and I think most of us have compensated by loading up good HtH characters with things like Heightened Expertises and Natural Weaponry.  At least training can up a person's chance to hit, but still the base remains way too low.

Good solution to deal with this!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I've always chalked up the inability of them to land blows on the fact that most people really can't fight that well. If you watch your average fit fight, how many solid blows actually make contact? Very few, and when you do get people who can fight together, there's a whole lot of fancy footwork, blocking and dodging going on. So it's rare that they actually have good solid strikes making contact where it counts.

Now it's a different story when you have a trained fighter, martial artists, etc. going up against the average citizen (that's where your combat bonuses start coming into effect), and you start seeing them beat them into the ground with a few well placed punches, strikes, and kicks.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:20pm:
If you watch your average fit fight, how many solid blows actually make contact? Very few, and when you do get people who can fight together, there's a whole lot of fancy footwork, blocking and dodging going on. So it's rare that they actually have good solid strikes making contact where it counts. 

Even with this option, the standard rules still apply for "rolling with the punch" techniques and evasion (e.g. Shrew's "fancy footwork" in the Crusader module).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:49pm:
If you watch your average fit fight, how many solid blows actually make contact? Very few, and when you do get people who can fight together, there's a whole lot of fancy footwork, blocking and dodging going on. So it's rare that they actually have good solid strikes making contact where it counts. 

Even with this option, the standard rules still apply for "rolling with the punch" techniques and evasion (e.g. Shrew's "fancy footwork" in the Crusader module).

Blocks are a lot different that rolling with a punch or taking a fall. Blocking pretty much takes a lot of the power out of a punch, strike, or kick, and stops it from impacting a critical area (like your face, kidneys, groin, etc.).

While taking a fall (rolling with it), allows your body to absorb some of the impact, so it doesn't hurt you as much. It still hurts, but it stops you from being stunned by the blow (and trust me when I say practicing to take a blow SUCKS big time).
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010 at 12:55am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I've always chalked up the inability of them to land blows on the fact that most people really can't fight that well. If you watch your average fit fight, how many solid blows actually make contact? Very few, and when you do get people who can fight together, there's a whole lot of fancy footwork, blocking and dodging going on. So it's rare that they actually have good solid strikes making contact where it counts.

Now it's a different story when you have a trained fighter, martial artists, etc. going up against the average citizen (that's where your combat bonuses start coming into effect), and you start seeing them beat them into the ground with a few well placed punches, strikes, and kicks. 

While this is true, I still feel like 5 is awfully low.

On the other hand, by making it only a "5" to begin with, it means that - once you have a character who has trained and/or added lots of bonuses via things like Heightened Expertise - it means that the maximum minus that can be given to them (not taking into account Heightened Defenses and Evasion) is "5".  In other words, even fantastic defenses like Non-Corporealness and Willpower only take it down a total of 5 (which means the martial arts expert who starts out with a 20+ to hit is more likely to hit, since it doesn't get reduced by 16 like some powers).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I know, we moved HTH to a 7, vs. a 5 to hit.  Didn't make a big difference, but it helped... I like the d12 option for two brawlers, rolling around on the ground, just because of proximity get a better chance to hit...

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Bit of topic revivication here, but how does this solution sound.

Reflecting on untrained folks being pretty useless at landing punches etc., but improving well with training (boxers and martial artists, amateur or professional), what about this for Combat Accuracy (from experience) modification for attacks using the HTH column:

Combat Accuracy (HTH): add +2 with the chosen weapon or attack the uses the HTH column.

This way the low base-line is factored in, but progress is rapid if someone is dedication. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:04am by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Its a Superhero Game and the basic premise is 2 super-powered individuals punching the crap out of each other...I always thought the basic HTH chance to hit should have been 11 on D20 before modification for players and super humans and 5 for everyone else

We're dealing with Comic Books characters..not average real people and you should not have to devote power slots  to increasing your chance to hit to punch someone in the face..especially another HTH  Brusier, in a game based on comic books and comic book combat.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
me likey. alternately, you could work out a "point blank" range bracket that gives a bonus to hit vs adjacent (or practically adjacent) targets.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 10:14pm:
me likey. alternately, you could work out a "point blank" range bracket that gives a bonus to hit vs adjacent (or practically adjacent) targets. 

Bill--I like your idea of a point-blank range modifier ... especially with point-blank HTH attacks.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
it also comes in handy for, say, shotguns. or running up (since closing range doesnt help til next turn, as written) and letting fly with a wide-angle energy blast such as Flame Powers. Another opt: "spreading dmg", reducing dmg to boost tohit numbers.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 10:14pm:

How about a +2 bonus to hit at point black range (for HTH), and a +4 bonus for powers like Power Blast (you're touching them when you let one fly)? Or this: Sucker Punch: The target is completely surprised by your HTH attack, so you gain a +4 bonus to strike. How's that sound?

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
blindsiding a foe in hth (say, when invisible and initiating combat) could earn a point or 2 of extra damage too, imo... any thots?

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:56am
Print Post  
I suppose the biggest flaw in this situation that is perceived by many of us (perhaps near to a universal consensus?) is the HTH column on the combat table?

Putting V&V 3.0 to one side, since it will be its own 'thing', I would love to see a revised combat table for the FGU Rules Companion - an optional amended table that could reflect 30 odd years of experience and maybe factor in clearing up the "0 issue" at the same time.

HTH at base of 10 or 11 would be fine to my mind.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:59am by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:56am:
I suppose the biggest flaw in this situation that is perceived by many of us (perhaps near to a universal consensus?) is the HTH column on the combat table?

Putting V&V 3.0 to one side, since it will be its own 'thing', I would love to see a revised combat table for the FGU Rules Companion - an optional amended table that could reflect 30 odd years of experience and maybe factor in clearing up the "0 issue" at the same time.

HTH at base of 10 or 11 would be fine to my mind.

Note sure about the 10 or 11, but a 7 or 9 sound more reasonable, as most untrained people can't hit jack in a fist fight, unless, as I mentioned, they sucker punch someone. I see it all the time. A whole lot of blows get thrown, but very few people manage to actually land a solid blow, and most people don't kick.

You can usually tell pretty quickly who knows how to fight, as they'll take up a fighting stance, move their hands where they can be used to block, and or throw a punch/strike. Guys who've had some sort of martial arts and or combatives training will use their legs to sweep and or kick, and have better chance or striking someone than the average guy on the street (which would still be reflected in the hit bonus from Natural Weaponry).

Then, I could also be over thinking this.  Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Taking the real-world simulationist aspect out of the equation, in comics blows get landed.

The real world simulation falls down the moment the attack columns for any powers are considered, there is no empirical basis for power Blast having a base (16) is there? Wink

I honestly think the game engine would 'feel' better if the current high accuracy attacks were toned down a little and the low accuracy attacks improved a little on the whole, maybe balanced against commonality of defense types etc.

Smiley

But now Maybe I am over-thinking this!  Grin

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Quick question for the originator of this thread. PB, have you used the d12 in your games, and if so, how's it worked out?

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
i had a thought inspired by this one time i ran a pickup game of d&d at a friend's mom's house but we didnt have a d20, just a d10 and a d6. we would roll em together, and if the d6 was a 4-6 we would add 10 to the d10, effectively the same but clumsier.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
But anyhoo, what if you rolled a d10 and a d6, and only added 10 to the d10 on a d6 roll of 5-6 instead of 6? itd bend the probability without eliminating critical fumble follies.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Last time I was in a real fight was years ago.

Guy was strong as an ox but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Literally just avoided the guys punches and lunges til he got tired and quit.

That's not the only time I've had that happen.

I tell you that story to suggest this rule change. Any change to the HtH "to hit" rule necessitates an increase in Heightened Defense.

just an opinion mind you
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:39pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 2:13am
Print Post  
also, big peeps who cant land a punch have an easier time grabbiing u in real life. discuss.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Apr 1st, 2012 at 2:13am:
also, big peeps who cant land a punch have an easier time grabbiing u in real life. discuss.

Not necessarily. It for game purposes, I say it'd depend on their agility score, and how agile the person they're trying to grab was.

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
not in comics etc. im just saying in close quarters in real life, its important not to get cornered. but you know that already

IP Logged

>