Poll
Poll Question: What does charisma PRIMARILY measure in your campaign?

« Last Modified by: polarboy on: Oct 17th, 2009 at 1:01am »
Normal Topic Charisma Poll (Read 1774 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Charisma Poll
Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Charisma has several applications in V&V.

What does charisma PRIMARILY measure in your current campaign or overall V&V experience?

Share gaming examples if you'd like!
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:48am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Charisma Poll
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:37am
Print Post  
I try to keep Dee and Herman's intention that Charisma isn't beauty, it's your personal "aura." Another way to say that is strength of personality or "will." (see other thread on this)

In my game, Charisma is the primary stats for determining Luck Points (see Does Everyone Invent thread) and players also make saves against Charisma to keep their cool in extreme situations.

Morale Checks/Cool Rolls:

When something bad or insane happens (like the first appearance of the non-Euclidean Star Giant or of the 100 foot tall Doomsday Robot, or the sudden arrival of 40 supervillains), a character rolls one d20 against their Charisma to see if they lose their cool.

If the roll is equal to or lower than their charisma, they remain calm.
If it’s higher than their Charisma, then they suffer a -1 penalty per point over their score on ANY roll. Every turn, this modifier is lessened by one point (So it takes 8 turns to wear away a -8).

Comic book examples:
-Psycho-Man has Emotion Control Fear that makes everyone lose their cool and suffer such penalties.
-Batman has a skill called Intimidation. If he succeeds on his skill, he can force cool rolls on opponents. Low-Charisma goons get so scared by Batman that they can’t hit him with machine guns.
-Wonder Man freezes up when faced with the all-powerful Count Nefaria (circa late 1970's)

Also, a person can calm others. By taking an action to talk or yell or bark orders they can raise everyone's charisma score by their cool roll reaction modifier, to talk them down from their state of panic, etc. (Thereby quickening the duration of the negative modifiers).
Comic book example:
-Captain America’s speechifying to WW2 infantrymen.

I've thought about factoring level into the equation, but I figure PCs gain Charisma with levels, so it might be factored in already.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:46am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:37am:
I try to keep Dee and Herman's intention that Charisma isn't beauty, it's your personal "aura." Another way to say that is strength of personality or "will." (see other thread on this)

For the primary meaning, my games have tended to primarily fall back on the paragraph from p. 7 of the rules: "Charisma is a rating of how Good or Evil intelligent characters are (i.e. how much conviction they have in terms of their chosen side)." Using this definition first made sense with the role charisma plays during criminal prosecutions (p. 38), when characters change sides (p. 39), and to a lesser extent, when determining security clearance (p. 34).

The word conviction is consistent the way V&V uses charisma as a stat for mental resistance, as Dr. Foom notes above, and as described on p. 3 of the rulebook. I tend to use that as the auxillery definition.

Over time I've come to use the word Conviction synonymously with Charisma within the game. The word dedication also comes to mind.

Rolling trial results has been a source of anicipation after adventures--always harking back on the way a villain with high charisma is more likely to be convicted, but a hero with high charisma is more likely to be cleared (i.e. good/evil charisma scores run in opposite directions).

In talking with a friend yesterday who hasn't gamed in 20+ years, he said off the top of his head that in V&V terms Captain America would epitomize good charisma and Dr. Doom would represent evil charisma. Considering how infrequently we even talked about the stat when he played V&V, I was amazed that he remembered that V&V inherently ties charisma scores to alignment, per reaction chart (p. 7) and charisma adjustments when changing sides (p. 39).

Ken Cliffe's module Organized Crimes is the only V&V adventure or sourcebook that seems to primarily equate charisma with physical attractiveness (as opposed to strength of character). I've come to regard that resource as the exception that proves the rule.

All things considered, charisma is by far the buggiest stat in V&V. It almost begs for a priortized interpretation in the game.

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:54am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Great points.
'Conviction' and 'dedication' are especially nice bridges between alignment and mental strength/fortitude.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Well I personally believe Charisma is all the things you listed above (well cept str of Will/Wisdom... they strike me as more intelligence things).

charm and appeal (the +/- make it that way)
commitment to good or evil as per the way it is essentially spelled out on the character sheet.
popularity and reputation - I do believe it does fall into this. As it CAN grow do to good deeds which is a Pop/Rep thing. leadership ability - I think Chr is important for a leader (as someone mentioned Cap America) - but leadership is also an intelligent factor as well. A good plan and a successful mission will certainly make a leader popular (but I believe anyone who comes up with a good plan lends itself to the whole team aspect... I mean I leader isn't a leader without a team and the leader is not the only one who can come up with that good plans. It is the leader's job to impliment it!

G7

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Charm/Appeal and leadership go hand in hand, IMV.

Those are what I use Charisma for mainly.

As for the rest, they would go in, depending on the character concept.

The good/evil bit, I'm not sold on. The reaction roll is all about your reputation (which really has to do with charm/appeal/leadership and good PR).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Or Bad PR... A villain known for his bloodthirstyness, or one so evil anyone could sense it could definitely cause pause in a thug, or regular law enforcement.

I really like the having them roll, and be at the minus for how many turns they miss their roll by.  I think I'm gonna use that.  I have always wondered why they couldn't hit Batman, or even Spiderman with a machine gun...  Although Machine guns haven't really been that prevalent in my games, and haven't proven that effective either...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:53am
Print Post  
I almost voted for "commitment to good or evil", but realized that - in our game - the "charm/appeal" sums it up better.

As G7 said, for us it kind of is a combo of many (almost all) of those things:

charm and appeal: Our Skills for these are based entirely on one's Charisma (though Skill levels of 1-3 factor in as well), so this is a huge part of what we use it for.
commitment to good or evil: As polarboy said, it's straight out of the rules, so this aspect factors in for us as well (in many of the ways he mentioned).    
strength of will: again, as pb said, it's there intrinsically in many of the rules and powers as such. 
popularity and reputation: We factor in one's "Reputation Points" (straight from "Charisma counts!") based on Charisma, and use it all the time when characters run into someone they've never met before (whether they recognize them, how much they know about them, what their general 'take' is on that person, etc.).   
leadership ability: Again, all of our leadership Skills are based on Charisma.
wisdom: I suppose this is part of Charisma for us as well, though perhaps not as much as the others.  I could imagine a high Charisma character being sort of naive and not having a very high Wisdom.

IP Logged

>