Normal Topic Faster Than Light Travel (Read 1300 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Faster Than Light Travel
Oct 24th, 2009 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Many races have discovered transluminal speed. When a race finally breaks the light barrier, it is recognized as an intelligent species and must declare its allegiance to one of the many Galactic Political Parties.  These will be discussed in another thread.      There are two ways to be recognized as intelligent,  one, as I just said, is to discover transluminal speed, the other is to discover meta abilities.
     The most common way to surpass the speed of light is for a meta to hyper fly.   While employed most often, it is also the most limited as only the metabeing travelling and at most, a few tons of cargo can be carried.  Only sentient beings can Hyperfly.   No computer, and so far, no Artificial Intelligence has been able to hyperfly.   This has lead to the inventions of the following technologies.

The first technological way of surpassing the light barrier is through Warp Tech.   While not exactly surpassing light speed, a warp engine folds space so that a ship travels to one point without traveling the space in-between.   The best known warp engines can warp the distance of one light year in any three day period.   The energy cost is phenomenal.   A warp engine requires the creation of a microscopic singularity as the fuel and gravity source needed to fold space.

The next means of transluminal travel is by means of Trans dimention Corridors, or Hyperspace Travel.   The space craft searches for another dimension crossing in the direction one wishes to travel.  This other dimension must possess different laws of physics than ours.  The ratio of distance must be far greater in the other dimension so that its worth crossing over.   The hyperspace method of travel usually yields faster speeds than that of Warp Drives.  The problem with Hyperspace Flight is that its extremely difficult to navigate and the "Goldilocks" dimension is not always there when you need it.    Races that use Hyperspace Flight usually use Warp Drive as a back up.   Super advanced races have been known to create their own tunnels through space by means of Hyper Drives so powerful they stagger the imagination.   The secret of creating such engines is  closely guarded. 

The most advanced method of transluminal flight is Negative Mass Drive.  Only one race is known to have this technology; the Eldarae.   Claiming to be the first sentient life in the Universe, it stands to reason that they may also be the most advanced.   The Negative Mass Drive converts the Craft and its crew's positive mass to a negative mass where by the ship can not travel SLOWER than the speed of light until the mass is returned to its normal positive state.   Also, since the mass is less than zero, the ship can by pass solid matter and most forms of energy.   The Eldarae whiz around the universe in huge cathedral like city ships of beautiful crystal and glass at speeds that stagger the imagination, ghost like, and indestructible.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 12:02pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Faster Than Light Travel
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Bumped, cause, well, I like this thread.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Nice stuff!  I ALWAYS like to know the science-fiction behind interstellar stardrive technology when I watch space-type Sci-Fi movies or read comics... like Legion of Superheroes!

{My personal favorite genre of Space Adventure and super heroes...}

One of the reasons I so like "Supernova" {2000}, the plasma-stream, dimension-gate drive is uniquely interesting! Smiley

Love the SciFi!

"SCIENCE!!!  It works.. bitches!"

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:38pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
If you like that stuff you should read "The Science of Star Trek"I know they used to have a class at IUPUI but that was a few years ago. I still have the book though

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Meta-beings can hyper fly.  The his is a unique ability limted to a  super small subset of a super small set of beings.

A being gifted with the ability to hyper fly can ignore the rules of physics and just achieve speeds that are normally unreachable by known science.  Those is the origin of he word “Godspeed”.

Beings that can achieve Godspeed are extremely rare, and in some cases hunted, bribed or outright enslaved and Theo powers are harvested.  The interstellar race, the Mi Go harvest brains and isolate them from their bodies for purposes of super fast space travel. This is how you hey maintain their mining colonies through the galaxy.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:26am by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
This is such great stuff. Dick a slave to the Mi Go for hundreds of years probably and now we get to see what is beyond........

So cool

IP Logged

>