Normal Topic When did you quit reading Teen Titans? (Read 1504 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

When did you quit reading Teen Titans?
Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
  This is a follow up the X Men thread.   We all, I assume, loved the hell out of Wolfman and Perez's Teen Titans.  I just re read them and, man, they still hold up just fine.   And I assume we all dropped it at some point.

What point was that?  And why?

I don't recall the exact issue, but it was the Baxter Series when they were dealing with the Wilderbeast.   I remember reading the comic and saying, "what is going on here?"  and that was it.   Done.    I still pick up back issues as I want to finish the Baxter run.     Someone said that the introduction of Jericho was the begining of the end, and I have to say that I agree.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: When did you quit reading Teen Titans?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I stopped reading them the first time in the 90's, and it's been an on again/off again thing with me. The last time I read them on the regular was John's run. As to why I quite reading, have you seen the book the last few years? TT should be renamed the all new Suicide Squad, and the new Titans book has just been awful.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Dr. wierd
Apprentice

with great responsibilities
come great power

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
i stopped reading shortly after they changed the title to just the Titans

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Shortly after Jericho showed up.
But man what a great run.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I actually never picked up the Titans.  My oldest son loved them (from the cartoon - "Teen Titans GO!")   Smiley and so I purchased some graphic novels of them for him, but I never read their title (other than a few crossover events and such).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I had every issue, loved them... up until the Jericho fiasco... that pretty much ended it for me as well.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:30am
Print Post  
When they split into 2 Teen Titans books.  Same characters in both but 1 version is deluxe formatting.

It was the big Doctor Blood then Triagon epics.

There was a short run issue after that which tried to show Blackfire was a good ruler and that is when I quit.  That was also around the trial of Deathstroke as well.  I hated that story too.

Unlike the X-Men, I never went back.  I did pick up the new Teen Titans relaunch (Wondergirl, Superboy, Flash Grandson, Robin III version) in graphic novels.  Half-price books now owns those.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I have virtually every issue.

BUT... I quit after the Trigon thing in the Baxter series (#1-6 or 7) and only picked up the the issues inbetween in bargin bins.

I did start reading the Wildebeast thing... but stopped halfway (eventually getting them all... *shrug*... lousy story but at least the artwork had improved - ie Perez/Grummett).

I also started picking the comic back up around issue 94 of the New Titans (with the hella cool Jimenez art - ie Perez Clone). But quit after the HORRIBLE issue 100... you know... evil Raven ruins Richard and Kory's wedding then rapes Starfire or whatever the hell that was all about!

I... as I stated in some post somewhere in these fabled Halls of Justice... Told Marv Wolfman to his face that I thought his writing had sucked since Perez offically left (After he had signed my Cyborg solo issue that is), and that he should give up the reins (That was somewhere in between issues 10-20 of the Baxter Series). He kind of gave me a dirty look but basically said well that is one opinion... and as I walked away I said... that is every fans opinion, I just have the balls to say it.

Years later Wolfman would admit in a web-interview that he should have left and let someone else take it over (But god only knows it probably would have been transformed into some image/X-Men clone... both of which equally sucked).

So... I quit technically at Issue #6 of the Baxter Series.

G7

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I tried following the original team's adventures from the 1960s-1970s. As much as I liked Robin, Kid-Flash, and Wonder Girl in theory, they weren't written very well at the time. It probably biased me against the New team in the 1980s, which I followed largely by hearing about their adventures from some of my friends.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2009 at 11:47pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:21am
Print Post  
I think it was when they went to Baxter Paper too. Something about Jericho threw me too far off. But man, was Brother Blood scary! And the Brotherhood of Evil...

..brrrrrr!

IP Logged

>