Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Magic and Spellcasting (Read 25001 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Magic and Spellcasting
Reply #35 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Magic Use is a skill not a power and as such it requires constant study.   There is a reason the stereotype of the wizard is an old guy bent over a scroll.   The formulae of spellcrafting is a difficult art and for each day one doesn't study their spellbooks or scrolls, there is a cummulative -1 on their skill check when they try to cast a spell.   So hit those books, you magi!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #36 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Bumping this up for Dick Dante and all you other rabid Magi of course.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #37 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 9:59am
Print Post  
John,

Since some of the High powered Spells have a very high power score I have some questions.

If the Character has to subract the amount of power the spell takes  from their Power and also Movement what happens when the Power cost exceeds their Agility plus reaction roll or movement? Does it become impossible to cast or does it just roll over into the next round since it takes maybe a few minutes of un interrupted focus if not longer?

Assuming the character is not using a wand, staff, circle or some other enhancement or even stored power from another source.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #38 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:04am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 9:59am:
John,

Since some of the High powered Spells have a very high power score I have some questions.

If the Character has to subract the amount of power the spell takes  from their Power and also Movement what happens when the Power cost exceeds their Agility plus reaction roll or movement? Does it become impossible to cast or does it just roll over into the next round since it takes maybe a few minutes of un interrupted focus if not longer?

Assuming the character is not using a wand, staff, circle or some other enhancement or even stored power from another source.

...Aaand, tangent to that same question can a woman use a staff or wand? 

Also.. what happens when a woman tries to cast a Evocation spell typically a male type magic?

What does 'exactly' a "Cairn", "Cauldron" do [game stat-wise] for a female caster?

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:14am
Print Post  
A woman can use a wand,  and a man can use a cauldron.   No penalty.  Its just that wands offer no bonus for female magic and vice versa.

Some mages carry "kettles" which are small cauldrons for spell casting.    Handheld, usually made of clay or metal with an wire handle.   They hold spell reagents  and act like wands for female magic.

If you run out of initiative then it is still being cast when the next action comes BUT you are only as fast as your first action.   So, remember,  others may be faster than  you and interrupt your spell before you are finished.   Movement comes back every turn so that is no problem,  If you run out of power, then you can finish the spell with hit points as per the rules of running out of power.   But then you are instantly fatigued and then take a knock out roll, at HALF your endurance.   This could be very dangerous.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #40 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Dick has so much more work to do......

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #41 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 11:41am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:21pm:
Staves
  A staff weilding wizard if one of the most iconic images of wizardry.   The staff is a mighty weapon in the hands of a skilled magician.  Carved in the wood of the staff are many glyphs, symbols and images.  These symbols can represent many of the reagents needed to cast a spell.   So a properly prepared staff can act as a proxy for some material componets.   A wizard will usually prepare his staff with symbols to act as some of his most expensive, rare, or just plain dangerous materials needed.   Commonly found or cheap items are usually carried in the hidden pockets of their cloaks.  Why go through the bother  and expensense to create a glyph on your staff for sand for a sleep spell when sand can be found almost anywhere?
   A crafty mage will hide his glyphs with obfuscation spells so only he will know how his staff is prepared.
   Stealing a wizard's staff is not recomended unless one is willing to suffer the consequences of a very angrey magus!

John,

Having a crafted wand will help with power and time reduction of All Spells the character knows? An inventing point to craft the wand?

The wand is just a special instrument created to help with the spells but does not necessarily store them?

Just loading up on specifics

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2014 at 11:42am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #42 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Yes, the wand is like a Pen or quill when writing the letters of the Language of Creation.  Its more elegant then using your hands.

Think of drawing a picture with a pen or your fingers, which one comes out better?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #43 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Cool. Dragon Bone might be a Cool thing to carve one out of.

So long as he never meets another Dragon after that of course.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #44 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Well Chess does know of at least one other dragon, and one dragavon.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #45 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Well Dick knows the Dragavon. Scary kid. Might piss him and his mother off. Then again it's not like the Dragons like each other.

It's still cool and he should carve one out of Drago Bone anyway cause it fits with what is going on in the story.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #46 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Dick and Gloom, er, I mean Glare, need to compare notes. He has a whole library I'm sure Dante would salivate over, until he realized all he could learn would mean he has to deal with demons  Grin

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #47 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Dick would not last fifteen seconds with Gloom. Unless of course he just kept him alive for torture.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #48 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Gloom does not need to torture; People tell Gloom whatever he asks, out of pure fear  Grin

IP Logged

Psychedelic Spider
Sidekick

Walloping Web Snappers

Reply #49 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
In our group, characters get 'Magic Points' based off of their Power Points.
OPTION 1:All the Powers on the Power Table are given a Magic Point score (Flame Power=6 for example). The Character can establish Magic Spells equal to the number of Magic Points/Power Points that the character has. This would be their Magic Book.
As a character uses a spell within his 'Magic Book' his magic points score decrease based on the spell used.
When he reaches 0, the character has exhausted his magical ammo/defenses.

OPTION 2: A secondary Magic house rules guide follows the above description. The difference is, one of our players has collected a vast ensemble of Magic the Gathering cards. He has a ginormous pile of Enchantment, Instant and Sorcery cards.
Each card is given a Magic score as described above. The player then randomly picks cards from the deck and creates spells based off the card drawn. This again becomes his Magic Book and the above rules from option 1 take over.
We recently tried option 2. It creates a heck of a spell book depending on the amount of cards you are dealing with (for us it was hundreds) but takes up some time as the player and GM must come up with the parameters of the wording on the card compared too what you can do in the V&V world.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #50 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
It does seem like Option 2 could really slow things down at the table, but I love the creativity of this idea!!!  Cool

IP Logged

Psychedelic Spider
Sidekick

Walloping Web Snappers

Reply #51 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
A villain was designed using Option 2. He was called Relic-
His spell list from Magic Cards included
Lightning Powers from a Lightning Bolt instant card=3 points
Force Field from a Protection from Black Card=3 points
Magical Armor from a Protection from Monocolor Card=6 points
Plant Control from a Wild Growth card=3 points
(he had other spells in his spell book that he rolled on the powers tables)

Along with Heightened Strength and Intelligence A, flight and gauntlets (left one had Fire Control and the right one Vibratory Powers), made this one tough SOB.

His weakness was vulnerability to technology based attacks

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #52 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
John,

Back to Magic Items. So Dick wants to craft a wand, staff, rod or ring, whatever. Assuming he has the Spells he would want to empower them with as well as Spell Theory and Spell Craft

What else would he need? Enchant Item? One inventing point for each craft/lore?

Too much Harry Dresden this week so I need to start thinking about making items

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #53 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The duster and charm bracelet are pretty cool but I can't wait til Harry starts enchanting ammo for the Winchester and that big ass Colt Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #54 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Wand Craft:   This is a rare and guarded skill.  Many magi make fortunes crafting wands for others, but the cream of the crop know that there is nothing like creating your own wand.   Just knowing that there are no hidden spells lurking under masking spells is reason enough to want to fashion this handy tool on your own.

First you need the know how.  This skill supplies that.  Then you need an original idea for the wand,  that takes and inventing point.   Then you must fashion it, ( the inventing process).  Last, you need to empower it.

There are several spells one can use for that,  Life Bond,  Bestow Enchantment,  Soloman's Transformation,  or Midas' Touch for example.

Once this is done, you are ready to dazzle and bedazzle.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2014 at 9:04pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Staffmaking:   Now this is an art!    Just learning this skill is a quest in itself.    You can not just pick up a cool looking stick and wave it around.

Like Wand Craft,  you must first learn the skill.  Then an idea is needed, ( inventing point)  then create the thing. ( inventing process).     Then many of the same spells that work for wand will work.  How ever, the wizard must make a roll when the spells are cast.

Staff: I+Ld20.  The Success of the rolls ( the difference you rolled UNDER the total of your Intelligence and level is the total amount of mana the staff can hold.

Of course you can over charge the staff, but each point over equals the percentage that the staff will back fire when used.

This total mana storage number is fixed when the staff is created. If you want a better one, you have to start from scratch.

And when you find your total mana, you then select your spells and that's it.  This staff will only work for those spells. 

So many Wizards will have a few staves.  A battle staff full of fireballs, lighting bolts and such; a staff of protection, and maybe a general, all purpose staff.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #56 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Keep it Coming!!

Damn, Dick needs more inventing points......

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #57 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Wands:

Does the PC gain other benefits from using their own wand other than safety? If using a wand adds +4 to their spellcasting how does using your own crafted wand differ? Can they also be charged?

Staff:

Recharging the staff comes from casting new spells that it is set to receive and using the characters power points?

Could a Staff be created to charge from something say like a Ley Line perhaps if it was made to do so? Awesome energy but kind of dangerous especially when a charatcer does not have a very high endurance score.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #58 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Bump

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>