Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Theory on Theory (Read 5338 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

A Theory on Theory
Nov 7th, 2009 at 10:54am
Print Post  
   So our beloved friend and Hero Wally Spec ( AKA The Dark Warrior) has had his known Universe obliterated. Well since he has lost everything and wants to return to a dimension that no longer exists, in true V&V fashion he wants to invent a Dimension and Time Transporter.

Because he has absolutely no idea of how to create such a thing he should need to spend an Inventing point for some knowledge area's in Theory. Since he is coming up with something completely new as it has never been done before ( to his knowledge) he will have to basically create the Theory on how it could be done and then spend more individual inventing points in knowledge areas that he currently does not have in order to accomplish the task.

He may on the other hand decide after spending the Inventing points that he will not move on with the next step as he may find out that through his Theory research it may be impossible even in the V&V world. The same matter cannot exist in the same place at once, Time travel isn't real it's really just dimensional travel to an alternate but very similiar reality, something like that.

Most inventions seem to be a combination of several different logics put together so it seems only fair that at least one Inventing point should be used in order to come up with the Theory of how these other Knowledge Areas should be combined. I would not suggest something like this for a very basic invention or the old one shot FoamThrower but it's a thought when getting into something completely new.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: A Theory on Theory
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I'm thinking you'd have to train to get the knowledge areas prior to attempting the inventing...

This makes sense to me, in that your character would spend time studying the fields of interest.  It's not all aobut the inventing points.

In a few levels your character could become the expert on Time/Space manipulation.  Smiley

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
   In John's campaign Inventing points may be used to gain Knowledge Areas so the character would use exisitng unused Inventing Points to basically study up on the Theory and subract the inventing point. He would not yet invent anything as he would not have the other Knowledge Areas required to actually even attempt to perform the task but I thought at least one inventing point should be required to be used just to come up with a complex idea that is remotely viable.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
You are on the right path so far.  This would be the correct way to proceed.   Keep in mind, you will need to invent some knowledge areas not just learn them.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
   Hmmmmmm.........

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:42am
Print Post  
     What does Wally want to do exactly? Return to his own dimension at a point in time to stop the destruction?
If so what could be kewl to tie Wally to the universe he is in would be for him to work with the Quidnunc and realize that he cannot undo what has been done in the fashion he thinks. However, what if the Adversary was a being of such cosmic proportion that his existence transcends time and space boundaries and thereby, in a way beyond our comprehension, can, for lack of a better word, "exist" in multiple realities and times at once. Based on that theory, if the Adversary (whose Identity can be something completely different in our V & V  universe..Wargod maybe  Wink ) was in fact, completely destroyed, it would undo his existence and wipe out his being and actions from all points in time. Thereby restoring Wally's universe.... theoretically.

Of course there is plenty of room for dramatic snafu's and continuing adventures to ensue from such a task.
What if removing the existence of such a being disrupts the balance of reality itself requiring great quests to undo the damage or perhaps permanent stewardship of the timeline to deal with devastating backlash anomalies?
What if other cosmic beings take offense to the disruption of the "natural" order?
What if in undoing the Adversary's actions realities are not neatly restored to how they were but are skewed into all sorts of horrible directions? The Dark Warrior becomes an intergalactic conqueror for instance..
What if something far worse comes to life to fill the void left by the Adversary's demise?

Oh its a cornucopia of adventure!!  Grin

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
   That's what I'm here for.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Or he could be crazy and all this could just be a delusion? Wink

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
   What difference does it make? It will all work itself out in plots and subplots and by the time the fourth arc is complted he'll be even more confused. If he survives that long............

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:55am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:00pm:
Or he could be crazy and all this could just be a delusion? Wink

Just don't run a huge epic arc based on this stuff and have us wake up and say it was a dream. That would just suck in every category.  Shocked

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
lol

IP Logged

>