Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Movement (Read 2394 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Movement
Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:49am
Print Post  
  Every time I play I make a big announcement about how this time, I am going to keep track of movement points.  Its become a running gag.   
   Well  most of it should be taken track by the players.
   Somethings that are automatic.   Like each time you "roll with the punch" you take off your movement for this turn the same amount that you rolled.    So if you rolled with the punch for seven, it cost you seven movement points.   

Also once you spent one more than 50% of your total movement for that turn, you spend 2 power points.   You get tired went you move alot.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Movement
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with Power Points... I don't have a problem with PCs or NPCs that have powers that use PPs... those are pretty easy to track, make an attack, lose X PP, but for the Scrappers and Brute types, I find it difficult to keep track of them.

Movement is OK when everyone has a fixed number of inches, but when you throw flight, superspeed, etc... in, it really seems to lose all meaning.  If you are using miniatures or cutouts, the fast characters end up running off the table... I know I've read here that some people don't use them, and just let everyone uses their imaginations... I wonder how they do range modifications, or if they do?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:58am:
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with Power Points... I don't have a problem with PCs or NPCs that have powers that use PPs... those are pretty easy to track, make an attack, lose X PP, but for the Scrappers and Brute types, I find it difficult to keep track of them.

Movement is OK when everyone has a fixed number of inches, but when you throw flight, superspeed, etc... in, it really seems to lose all meaning.  If you are using miniatures or cutouts, the fast characters end up running off the table... I know I've read here that some people don't use them, and just let everyone uses their imaginations... I wonder how they do range modifications, or if they do?

Yeah, I've wondered that as well.  I can understand a lot more not using markers for other genres (and there are times we don't use them in some adventures), but when you've got stuff like mega movement (due to Heightened Speed or Flight) and other amazing "movement-style" powers (like Teleportation) I don't get how it could be done accurately without using markers, figures, or some sort of way to figure out where everybody is.  With V&V it often ends up being 3 dimensional, when you're in an area with different elevations, or buildings with different heights, or the like.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:49am:
  Every time I play I make a big announcement about how this time, I am going to keep track of movement points.  Its become a running gag.   
   Well  most of it should be taken track by the players.
   Somethings that are automatic.   Like each time you "roll with the punch" you take off your movement for this turn the same amount that you rolled.    So if you rolled with the punch for seven, it cost you seven movement points.   

Also once you spent one more than 50% of your total movement for that turn, you spend 2 power points.   You get tired went you move alot.

Just tell your beloved players that you want them to track their movement points and educate them on what they have to do. I'm sure they will happily comply. If they (we) are keeping track of power and hits then movement should not be a big deal.

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:35pm:
With V&V it often ends up being 3 dimensional, when you're in an area with different elevations, or buildings with different heights, or the like. 

Ever try running a four-dimensional campaign? When one of the characers has time travel? And ends up teleporting back to a point earlier in the battle--or even in the middle of an adventure a ways back? Now there's a headache for ya! The poor GM has to keep records of everyone's exact stats every phase of ever turn of every battle of every adventure just in case the time traveler intentionally--or unintentionally reappears in the middle of a past fight! Fun idea, but what a lot of work!

As for charging PR for movement over half, it adds a realistic approach--given that 30" per turn is about 7 mph and the average person can comfortably walk half that speed.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:01pm:
Majestic wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:35pm:
With V&V it often ends up being 3 dimensional, when you're in an area with different elevations, or buildings with different heights, or the like. 

Ever try running a four-dimensional campaign? When one of the characers has time travel? And ends up teleporting back to a point earlier in the battle--or even in the middle of an adventure a ways back? Now there's a headache for ya! The poor GM has to keep records of everyone's exact stats every phase of ever turn of every battle of every adventure just in case the time traveler intentionally--or unintentionally reappears in the middle of a past fight! Fun idea, but what a lot of work!

Wow! That could be insane!  Still kind of cool, but WAY too much work and potential for problems and issues, I would think.  Reminds me of three things:

1) Just finished watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban last night, and specifically the part where Hermoine uses the necklace/time travel thingee to make it so there are two of them.  Brilliant storytelling, but (and I was just thinking about this earlier today) problematic to implement in a RPG!

2) Just did the write-up/summary for the last three issues of the Guardians.  It was a lengthy storyarc called "Sands of Time" and the GM was inspired by a storyline from Stargate where they did something similar.  The short, simple version is that the team went back into the past (nearly 6,000 years) and defeated a major alien foe.  When they returned to the present they learned that the reason these aliens feared and focused on them so much a few years ago was because they had defeated them in the past.  So it's kind of like the six chapters of Star Wars, where you have the original adventures and then the prequels happen chronologically (at least as far as real-time) afterwards.  So we played the game sessions out of order, but it worked for a neater story because you had these villains (in our present) that it turned out hated us for adventures we hadn't even played yet (and didn't play out until a few years later!).

3) This also reminds me of a concept called the 'chrono-punch' that some old friends introduced.  We played the most MASSIVE battle that I've ever seen for V&V.  They had a group called the "Hero Horde" where each hero has exactly one superpower, and each superpower in the rulebook corresponds to that one hero.  Then the same thing for a very large group of villains (called the 'Villain Squad", or something).  One New Year's we decided to play out this mega-battle, figuring that - if we started early enough - we could play all evening, all through the night, and into the next day.

So we did this, and the battle came down to just a few participants; IIRC the good guys were going to lose.  So this one hero - who had a power called a 'chrono-punch' - had the ability (if he hit somebody) that could send EVERYBODY (at least in his vicinity) back in time.  I don't recall (this was back in the 80's) if it went back one turn or one minute, but with that many participants, it meant a HUGE change in this mega battle, which had ALREADY taken many hours to play out.  We ALL hated it (far too slow and plodding with way too many characters), and yet we watched helplessly as the one guy did his chrono-punch, sending time backwards to be replayed.  We all then (stupidly) sat through the replay of the skirmish, where (I think) the heroes did better the second time.  A horrible experience (at the time), but one we could look back on afterwards and laugh at...    Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2009 at 6:24pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Just a little info on how we do movement. We always play home made scenarios as we've done the modules years ago. Always home drawn maps on small scale graph paper. The scale is 1 square is 5 foot or 1".
If a character has a movement of say 200", regardless of flight, super speed, etc, his movement is divided by how many phases he has per turn. If the player has 2 phases he can move a max of 100" per phase. If he has 4 phases he can move a max of 50" per phase, etc. This simulates whether a character has fast flight, super speed etc. If he's fast and has less phases this denotes he can move farther per phase.
Also regarding actions that are considered "movement only"
Some characters using inventing have change some actions to movement only. Example, one teleporting character who uses portals changed his portal from an action to movement to create but in doing uses all his movement to create it. He can step thru but once there he can't utilize any movement until the next phase.
GM also has say on specific powers that say "movement only". Player makes and action that is movement only. Denoting said action uses 75% of available movement or whatever.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Interesting to read everyone's take on this.

We'd use grid maps with counters, and count movement as our PCs moved.
PCs would keep track of their own movement.

We allowed you to use all your movement in any action, but you'd have none left for your other actions if you did, of course.

When a power or activity said "requires movement" we would charge one third of the PCs full movement.

Opening an unlocked door cost 5" of movement. Other activities cost movement as well, as an indication of expending time to do something.

That's all I remember.

IP Logged

Aramax
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I use 1/2 of standard move,still leaves 20 plus usually

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 15th, 2009 at 5:31pm:
Interesting to read everyone's take on this.

We'd use grid maps with counters, and count movement as our PCs moved.
PCs would keep track of their own movement.

We allowed you to use all your movement in any action, but you'd have none left for your other actions if you did, of course.

When a power or activity said "requires movement" we would charge one third of the PCs full movement.

Opening an unlocked door cost 5" of movement. Other activities cost movement as well, as an indication of expending time to do something.

That's all I remember.

This is pretty much how we do it.  In fact, one time I made a list of all sorts of mundane things (like opening a door, as you mentioned) and how much movement it would take.  I'll post it sometime (it's so old I'd have to re-type it since it was done back in the days of typewriters, rather than computers).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Mentat wrote on Nov 13th, 2009 at 8:57pm:
Just a little info on how we do movement. We always play home made scenarios as we've done the modules years ago. Always home drawn maps on small scale graph paper. The scale is 1 square is 5 foot or 1".
If a character has a movement of say 200", regardless of flight, super speed, etc, his movement is divided by how many phases he has per turn. If the player has 2 phases he can move a max of 100" per phase. If he has 4 phases he can move a max of 50" per phase, etc. This simulates whether a character has fast flight, super speed etc. If he's fast and has less phases this denotes he can move farther per phase.
Also regarding actions that are considered "movement only"
Some characters using inventing have change some actions to movement only. Example, one teleporting character who uses portals changed his portal from an action to movement to create but in doing uses all his movement to create it. He can step thru but once there he can't utilize any movement until the next phase.
GM also has say on specific powers that say "movement only". Player makes and action that is movement only. Denoting said action uses 75% of available movement or whatever.

This is an okay way to do it, but I've always felt that it stings the character with the higher Agility or Heightened Speed (since they have more actions to use).

In other words, a character with a movement of 55" per turn and only 1 action/turn is going to 'race' a character who has 200" of movement but has such a high Agility (or Heightened Speed) that he gets four actions/turn.

If they race towards the end of the turn (even if the higher Agility, faster guy has used none of his actions) then the slower guy with less movement can beat him in the race (moving 55" all at once, while the speedster guy can only move 50").

Just something to consider...

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:46am
Print Post  
I used to think that when something cost "Movement" or "Movement only" I had to figure out how MUCH movement. I was quite miffed when the rules did not say how much certain actions took!

Then I realized they MIGHT have meant "Your Movement option during your PC's action phase."

In other words, as the rules state, you can act and move or move and act, but not act, move and act again. That's a no-no.

So I now consider something that costs "Movement" to mean: "On your Action phase, you may act, but your Movement is zero since you did this other thing instead."

Evidence "Costs Movement Only" can be interpreted this way: Note how Wonder Woman and others who obviously have Transformation: Power Activation, don't MOVE ANY DISTANCE when they are changing into their super-selves. Oh sure, they may spin around or something, but they have stopped any running, etc.

Just my two cents.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:47am by »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I'm not so much into using a full movement for transformation or such.  I think it was left intentionally vague since you are supposed to work around and customize the a character's powers to provide some amount of balance.  They realized that the game doesn't make characters on equal footing, and assumed we would adjust that.

So for someone with transformation and a full suite of powers + bonus powers received from transformation, I'm all for using his full movement to transform.  But for someone with transformation weaker form and one or two other powers, I'd be more likely to have it cost a small amount of movement rather than the whole thing.

IP Logged

>