Normal Topic Stealthy Powers and Abilities (Read 1569 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Stealthy Powers and Abilities
Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
A handful of V&V characters have covert and acrobatic abilities that are either variations of existing powers or unique skills altogether. Here's the first batch.

Alone into the Night features the Garrote (the "Jack the Ripper" of V&V). The villain's powers include Shadow Hiding: Due to his black cape, the Garrote becomes invisible (see rules, page 14). He will remain so for as long as no movement is made. This only works in dark areas.

The module does not list night vision as one of Garotte's powers, but the scenario is written as though the villain can see clearly in the dark.

In Dawn of DNA, the extraterrestrial Shredders have Heightened Senses (including night vision) and a variant form of Invisibility: Only works if ample shadows are present, PR = 0, see V&V rules, page 14.

HONOR features Ebony Wolf. His powers include Heightened Senses (night-vision goggles) and Hiding in Shadows: Due to his black costume, the Ebony Wolf gains the benefit s of invisibility when in dark shadows or areas without illumination (see rules, page 14, invsibility).

In addition to Speed Bonus (+60" ground), Ebony Wolf also has a separate ability called Bonus Leap: The power enhances Ebony Wolf's jumping rate by three fold and allows him to remain airborne three times as long as normal. Resembling a limited Flight power, this ability allows him to land softly when an Agility save on 1d20 is made.

The thread about earth powers included examples of characters with camoflague abilities against stone: http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1253580746

Wall-crawling notes appear in the thread about webs: http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1254789983
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:24am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Stealthy Powers and Abilities
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Most Wanted Vol. 3 features Tomcat. His abilities include Body Power: Cat Abilities: he can perform all the tricks a can can do. This would include always landing on his feet, expert climbing, excellent jumping ability, and cat vision (see in darkness and x2 Detection).

These next three come from Super-Crooks.

Highwayman has a variation of Heightened Expertise: Thieving Abilities. If the Highwayman is conducting a robbery or burglary he only fails on a 20 when rolling an Agility save. This ability includes picking pockets, shoplifting, and other acts of nimble dexterity. (He has 18 Agility.)

Stallion has powers/skills include Acrobatics: Acts as evasion but costs only movement per turn and can be started and stopped whenever desired.

Thats nothing compared to Quebecois. He also has Acrobatics: Evasion can be performed with the cost of movement only at any part of the turn.
a) Missile Deflection: Missile attacks ranging up to bullet in strength can be deflected with an Agility save per attack deflected. PR of 2 per deflection out of turn, PR of 1 normally.
b) Staff Return: After having thrown a section of the staff, it can be angled to return on a successful Agility save with a PR of 1.
c) Knock Back Recovery: When knocked back from a hit, an Agility save allows Quebecois to recover without taking damage [using the rules option at the end of Super-Crooks].
d) Falling Recovery: When falling from a height of less than Ax2, an Agility save will result in Quebecois' Agility score being subtracted from any damage taken. This is normally done only at A in height for others at PR = 3.
e) Climbing: Quebecois can climb any sheer surface with only a minimum of hand grip. Agility roll required per movement rate climbed. PR = 1 per turn.
f) Stealth: Due to his black costume, Quebecois can hide in shadows as if invisible. Agility save required to determine success. Invisibility negated when movement is made. No PR.
g) Bonus Leap: The following bonuses are added to pre-existing jump limits: Standing Broad Jump: +2", Running Jump: +4", Vertical Jump: +1". PR of 1 per extended leap.
h) Wire Walking: Wires can be walked like a circus performer. Agility save required per movement rate. PR = 1 per turn.

He also has these devices/skills:
1. Electronics Knowledge: Quebecois is versed in all modern security systems and can operate them (i.e. shut them off).
2. Climbing Gloves: On these garments are small suction cups allowing Quebecois to climb smooth, sheer surfaces,walls, and ceilings. No PR.

Diguise artists might want to check out the make-up kit and some of the powers in the transformation thread: http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1253423780

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:09am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
These next few examples from Super-Crooks are worth noting, if only because they are relatively benign.

Spoiler of the Concrete Savages has Driving Skill: Rico is the best driver in the group and has achieved his nickname from this. In a situation where an Agility Save must be made, Spoiler gets +3 if driving.

Blue Max has Pilot Skills: Any feat requiring an Agility save while flying receives a +3. Attacking with bombs or machine guns is supplemented by a Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit.

Last but not least are some circus performers from Organized Crimes.

Tallman has these Powers:
1. Stilts: While on these stilts the Tallman stands 13 feet tall. While on stilts he cannot bend or lower to make HTH attacks on man-sized targets. … Due to height he gets +4 to hit as if attacking from behind. (He carries a pistol.)
2. Balance: Upon each hit against him, the Tallman must save vs. Agility on d20 as not to fall over. He gets +2 on these rolls due to his sense of balance on the stilts. (He has 16 Agility.)

The Flying Renaldo Brothers: These three always work together in a fight and will team up against a single hero, doing flips over and around him while punching and kicking. Each flip or leap that includes an attack requires a saving throw against Agility on d20. Failure results in a mislanding. Of the three, Guido is the strongest and, therefore, assists in the flips of is brothers. They also have an unnerving tendency to shout 'Hey, Ho, Ha, etc. while flipping about an opponent. (They have Agility scores of 16, 19, and 25.)

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009 at 11:34pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
No sooner did I post my own take on Move Silently in the willpower thread at http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258253635 than I discovered that the V&V module Honor (which I own but never played) had a version written under Ninja skills.

Moving Silently: When moving across any surface, a Ninja can move without sound on a successful roll verses Agility on a d20.

Ninjas in that module also have Hiding in Shadows: Due to their black robes and stealth abilities, Ninja become invisible (see rules, page 14) in dark shadows and areas without light. A Ninja will remain invisible as long as he remains motionless. This ability does not include the cumulative -1 to hit and -1 to be hit bonus conveyed by the power Invisibility.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:22am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2009 at 11:39pm:
No sooner did I post my own take on Move Silently in the willpower thread at http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258253635 than I discovered that the V&V module Honor (which I own but never played) had a version written under Ninja skills. 

Polarboy, if you're asking between-the-lines if your own take on Move Silently still counts as a new house rules power, my answer would be yes. You mention that you adapted it from D&D (not the V&V Honor module), and you give more detail about how the ability would work in the game.

On a separate note, one of the things that bothers me about the Quebecois and Tomcat listings above is that they each have numerous abilities that fall under just one power heading. It's hard to maintain balance when a player looks at something like that and thinks they're supposed to tack on more and more powers under one roof. It's not fun having to play the role of Mean GM. All of those acrobatics and cat abilities are great but you should need at leat two powers or a lot of training to cover that much ground. Those are my two cents for the day.

I do like the way the game handles hiding in shadows with no PR. It seems very much like Nightcrawler.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009 at 7:50pm by Dyna Girl »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Glider Capes, Grappling Hooks, and Smoke Bombs
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:59am
Print Post  
GLIDER CAPES
From Alone into the Night
Night Raven
wears a Glider Cape:  80" airspeed, must have air currents to gain altitude. (His ground movement is 59" per turn.)

From Most Wanted Vol. 1
Ebony's Angel
's inventions include Glider Cape:  78" airspeed, must have air currents to gain altitude. (Her ground movement is 39" per turn.)

GRAPPLING LINES
Two examples from Super-Crooks and Criminals
Blackjack
uses a Grapple and Line: To hit the target, an Agility save is made. There is 50 feet of cable. Blackjack swings at 26" speed (his ground movement is 33").

Quebecois carries a grapple and robe with 100" of cable. Agility save to hit target with grapple, swinging speed of 91" (his ground movement is 50")

Two from Most Wanted Vol. 1
Spyder
has a Spyder-Grappler: 12" steel cable with a metal spider-like retractable grappling hook. Agility save to catch it where desired: saving die chosen by GM to reflect the difficulty of the attempt.

Crossfire's arsenal includes Cable Quarrel: 12" cable connects re-enforced quarrel to crossbow winch, motor rewinds 1" of cable per phase starting on phase 15 of each turn, with weight capacity of 500 lbs.

SMOKE BOMBS
From Super-Crooks
Blackjack
has a Shadow Bomb: Darkness Control is released upon a hit, 2" sphere is created.

Two from Most Wanted Vol. 1
Ebony Angel
's inventions include Blackbombs: 4" radius Darkness on impact, lasts 3 turns.

Crossfire's quiver includes a Smoke Quarrel: on impact, belches out 216 cubic inches of vision-obscuring smoke. Without wind, 1 cubic inch dissipates per turn. In a stiff breeze, up to 10 cubic inches per turn may blow away.

Two more examples from Opponents Unlimited
Lodestone
carries this Special Weapon: A pistol that shoots grenade-strength explosive bullets, or strength bombs (5 inch radius cloud, 12 turn duration). He carries 8 grenades at a time, selecting the mix in response to what his mission calls for.

Rocket Ma'am carries several weapons, including a Smoke Cloud Rocket: range = 500 inches, velocity = 100 inches per turn. Creates a dense cloud of smoke 20 inches in diameter which lasts 8 turns or until dispersed.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:03am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Dyna Girl wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 7:49pm:
On a separate note, one of the things that bothers me about the Quebecois and Tomcat listings above is that they each have numerous abilities that fall under just one power heading. It's hard to maintain balance when a player looks at something like that and thinks they're supposed to tack on more and more powers under one roof. It's not fun having to play the role of Mean GM. All of those acrobatics and cat abilities are great but you should need at leat two powers or a lot of training to cover that much ground. Those are my two cents for the day.

I've gotta say I totally agree.  One of my former players did an outstanding job of writing out detailed powers on his character sheet and was extremely creative in maximizing each and every power or ability.  But when you get too much listed under one superpower, it doesn't appear as balanced (both for balance within the group of heroes and for comparison with opponents for the overall campaign).

IP Logged

>