Normal Topic Force Field (Read 1334 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Force Field
Nov 29th, 2009 at 3:01am
Print Post  
  I hate the way force fields were done in the rules.  It was almost like having a weakness.
  So here is my retooling for it.

One action to set up.  One action a turn to maintain.  Pr= 1/10th of damage repulsed.    Also, there is no forcefield defence anymore, its treated like invulerablity.  If you hit the character, you hit their forcefield ( unless the character places it somewhere else, but I think you know what I mean).  If you miss the character, you miss the forcefield.
   If the KO roll is under the amount taken off of the character's power score, then it peirced the force field and does full damage to the character, including the power score for  the attempt to repulse the attack.

So  Bob puts up a force filed.  He spends an action and wammo!  A force feild is around him.  Joe powerblasts him for 30 damage.   It hits so his forcefield takes care of it.   Bob is forced to spend 3 power points.   Joe rolls a 35 on his KO roll and all is well for Bob.

Next Joe hits Bob for 60 damage!   Bob has to take 6 off his power  but Joe rolled a 5 on his KO roll and the blast blows a hole in the field ALSO doing the 60 damage.  Bob is toast.

The attack aspect of force feild is the same as the rules.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Force Field
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I've often felt this way about the attack vs. defense chart... A character wouldn't necessarily miss someone because of his defense, that's more heightened defense.  Their power just wouldn't affect someone with a defense that works against their powers...  It's just hard to figure out something that works for all powers.  I think this is a great idea, what do you think about it applying to more defenses than just Force Field?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I have altered the attack vs defense charts a few times.  I mean, how could fire affect an astral projection?   I haven't seen many other problems for the most part.  But FF needed some tweaking.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I'll have to play around with this, but I think I like it.  I was never very happy with the Force Field as written (aka drop the hammer on the force fielder).  By the way it is written, the Invisible Girl would be toast early in any fight.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I like it also, but it does lack that struggle to maintain the forcefield as it get's battered by powerblast or hammer feel... I guess the power cost reflects this, but it's always appeared to me there was a bit of strain involved in maintaning a force field, wether it was an individual (Sue Richards), or an Star Ship named Enterprise.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
[Note - I'm copying and pasting some of my comments from another forum, so some of it may look familiar to some of you]

I've always liked Force Field (FF) and we have a PC who has weilded it effectively for nearly two decades.  We've always used it as written, and I find it to be one of the more fun powers in V&V, since it's such a double-edged sword.

That PC - the hero Quiasar - started being called "Pierce" back in the day, because attacks pierced his FF so often.  He soon learned to be more judicious both in when he used it (and who he protected with it).

It is a bit complicated, until you figure it out and start using it regularly (having Quiasar in our group for years helped). As I've mentioned before, I write down all of the attacks and defenses for my adventures ahead of time, so I would write down something like this:

Bad Guy X
Power Blast 6 (22)

Where the numbers shown would be what you get when you cross-referenced an attack from Bad Guy X attacking a hero with a FF. This would tell me, essentially, that when Bad Guy X attacks FF Hero, you roll a 20-sided die, then:

1-6: Hits through the FF (piercing it), doing full damage to both the FF and the intended target (often the FF wielder, who is in essence taking double damage)
7-19: Hits on the FF (doing half damage to the FF wielders' Power score)
20: miss

The only thing my chart doesn't take into account is range (which hardly ever comes up in V&V since you ignore it up to 30") and facing (which is easy to add or subtract on the fly).

I've always felt that this decently shows what we see of FF in the comics (as Hammer mentions); they often strain their user, and they have the potential to protect incredibly (but also to make one vulnerable to lots of damage).

I'm not saying the way in the rulebook is perfect, and I can see the point in doing it the way John suggests above (1/10th of damage repulsed); in fact I've done it this way with characters before myself and find it very effective.  But FF as written is a solid and effective defense, when used wisely.

IP Logged

>