Normal Topic Powers I Used in the Past--But Might Not Again (Read 1438 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Powers I Used in the Past--But Might Not Again
Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Here are two examples from my early gaming days.

NPC Hero
When I first started GM-ing, one of the reserve members of my Player Characters' superteam was an NPC with Disintegration Rays that fired the same type of radiation that originally gave her powers (like the cosmic rays that altered the Fantastic Four).

As a result, she also had a Mutant Power that meant there was a 5% chance of mutating anyone who lost hit points from her disintegration attack. A mutated opponent would lose all existing powers (when applicable) and randomly gain a new set of powers (and weakness), per standard rules.

My heroically cautious PCs didn't want their known enemies to suddenly get new sets of powers. So the NPC with disintegration-mutation-radiation rays tried to attack robots and make special attacks on villain devices. The few times she actually attacked a flesh-and-blood villain were very suspenseful. No one ever mutated (sigh of relief) as she retired early in her career.

Recurring Villain
A major criminal in my early campaign world was a high-stakes robber with a special cat ability that gave him nine lives. (He also had a weakness that cut his power points in about one-third.) When he was about to get caught, he'd do something to kill himself, knowing that he'd resurrect 1d100 hours later, about a mile away from his place of death, and without losing any experience points, as a result of this special ability.

Authorities finally captured the cat burglar on his 7th or 8th life. It's interesting how, at the time, his powers didn't seem gothic or suicidal, as they now do as I type up these notes.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:29am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Powers I Used in the Past--But Might Not Again
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I had a player with a character called The Switcheroo.   He had nine weakness and one power.  He could Switch one "power" for another "power" upon scoring a hit.   This power could be a weakness also.  So he could switch out his weakness for powers.  So not only did whomever he touched lose a power, but they gained a weakness!    He slowed the game down cause we had to practically re write character sheets every time he scored a hit.   He was finally murdered by the villain Dr Magno, as he feared he could ruin him.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:09am:
Here are two examples from my early gaming days.

NPC Hero
When I first started GM-ing, one of the reserve members of my Player Characters' superteam was an NPC with Disintegration Rays that fired the same type of radiation that originally gave her powers (like the cosmic rays that altered the Fantastic Four).

As a result, she also had a Mutant Power that meant there was a 5% chance of mutating anyone who lost hit points from her disintegration attack. A mutated opponent would lose all existing powers (when applicable) and randomly gain a new set of powers (and weakness), per standard rules.

My heroically cautious PCs didn't want their known enemies to suddenly get new sets of powers. So the NPC with disintegration-mutation-radiation rays tried to attack robots and make special attacks on villain devices. The few times she actually attacked a flesh-and-blood villain were very suspenseful. No one ever mutated (sigh of relief) as she retired early in her career.

Recurring Villain
A major criminal in my early campaign world was a high-stakes robber with a special cat ability that gave him nine lives. (He also had a weakness that cut his power points in about one-third.) When he was about to get caught, he'd do something to kill himself, knowing that he'd resurrect 1d100 hours later, about a mile away from his place of death, and without losing any experience points, as a result of this special ability.

Authorities finally captured the cat burglar on his 7th or 8th life. It's interesting how, at the time, his powers didn't seem gothic or suicidal, as they now do as I type up these notes.

These are both really cool ideas, polarboy!!!    Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
We have a hero (named Scion now, but who was called Infiltrator) who used to have the ability to absorb memories (as well as the image) of whomever he touched.  Worse than telepathy, this became quite problematic for GMs, and after some time the player willingly had his character undergo a change.  He now can absorb superpowers (as well as appearances).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I let a player get four doses of heightened expertise.  He had +16 to hit with his fists!  He did 6d10 damage as he had size change and heightened strength.    That was a bit much.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I once let a Player have Ht. Speed and Ice Powers; he also had Ht. Agility B - yeah, I regretted that one!

But the most fun I ever had with a non-violent power was to give a villain Teleportation Beams from his eyes. He rolled to hit like Disintegration Ray and sent them (someplace safe) anywhere on the Earth. He did not have the heart to send them to a deadly spot - he was no murderer - but he DID want them to get out of his way.

Many a hero has found himself in Hawaii.

Hard to hate or stop a villain like that. (Obviously he could teleport away anything coming at him as well!)

IP Logged

>