Normal Topic Character Challenge (Read 1433 times)
Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Character Challenge
Dec 18th, 2009 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this.  If not, please move to the right place.  This will be the character challenge thread.  I will toss out the stats, powers rolled, and weakness -  the challenge is to build an interesting character.

A couple of notes, power rolls will come out in pairs (based on the way my house rules work).  You choose which of the pair you pick for that roll.  Your creations remain your own property, but I might use them as NPCs in a game sometime.

If folks are interested, here is the first set:

STR 16
END 14
INT 16
AGIL 13
CHA 13

Powers rolled (first power is from the Powers table, second is from skills table - choose 1 from each set).  Don't forget, you still have to drop 1 complete set.

Absorption / Heightened Agility A
Body Power / Heightened Attack
Flame Power / Heightened Charisma A

Weakness: Special Requirement
-----------------

This is a classic example of a character with good stats and poor number of powers, but potentially saved by powers rolled.

So what do you do with this guy/gal?
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009 at 12:31pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Re: Character Challenge
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Okay, so here are the choices I made for the character:

Absorption / Heightened Agility A - dropped
Body Power / Heightened Attack
Flame Power / Heightened Charisma A

Character Name:  The Incinerator (side: evil)

Flame power is the full body option (type A).  The body power ties into the flame powers, instead of just covering himself with fire, his entire body turns into flames.  This will grant him either fire defense or non-corporealness defense, whichever is better.  He will also be able to slip through areas that the flame could slide through, but will leave obvious burns to anything he touches.

His special requirement is that he must have some source of fuel to activate his powers and a steady supply of oxygen to continue burning.  To activate his powers, he needs a mass equal to his own to feed upon - this is contained within his fire self and can be targeted with a special attack.  If he is deprived of the fuel, he loses 10 power points per turn unless he can attain another fuel source.  Depriving him of oxygen (air proof force field, for example) will also cause the 10 power points per turn loss.  When he runs out of power points, his power will shut off.  He cannot feed upon himself to generate the power.

Origin:  Johan Jones was an exceptional youth - he was quite capable in most aspects of high school life.  He was a jock, and a scholar.  Everything changed the night that he and Molly Strauss decided to move their relationship to the next level.  They were up on Lookout Point consumating their passion when Johan started to burn, literally.  This act of creation became an act of destruction when Johan's body burst into flames, consuming Molly and the vehicle they were parked in.

Johan woke up in the hospital with not a single wound or injury.  He was questioned extensively by the police due to the supsicious nature of the accident, but with no evidence, nobody could prove he did anything.  He only had vague memories of the event, the fire, and the screaming.

The next time Johan was working out, he notices a flicker of flames in the mirror when he was exerting himself.  He started experimenting and found out that he could trigger the fire, and turn into a flaming man, but he had to have some fuel for the process.  Understanding dawned on him about what happened with Molly, and a part of his mind shut down.  He couldn't accept what he had done, so he decided that he was possessed.  It was the demon inside him that consumed Molly.  Johan will not willingly trigger his powers using a person as fuel, but The Incinerator will use a being as fuel.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Ooooooooo - scary scary scary

Good write-up!

Here's mine:

M I D N I G H T   R I D E R

Side: Evil (trying to reform)

STR 16
END 14
INT 16 / 22
AGIL 30
CHA 13

1. Heightened Agility A +17

2. Body Power: Dual Persona - every night at midnight, the "Midnight Rider" appears, possessing the body of Eric Driver, granting him another mind on top of his own. [GM, treat this as a 'double-mind', using the second intellect after the first has attempted any Detect Hidden or Danger rolls, plus 40% since it can "see" in multiple directions.]

The 'Rider' may create 'darkforce objects', PR=1 per basic hit, lasting for 1 hour, requiring only a Move action. Each object is +4 or +20% in ability/speed/damage or effect, and has a structural strength rating (SSR) equal to the current power score of the Rider & thus is virtually indestructible when attacked.

Examples include: a motorcycle chain, a pistol, a sword, a motorcycle, a car - anything a normal hoodlum would know how to use effectively.

If incapacitated, the Rider leaves Eric's body until the next night.

Weakness: Special Requirement - Eric must find and 'persuade' a wicked man - usually one of his old buddies - each night to NOT pursue his intended course of action. [GM in fairness, this is a lot of role-play. It will be enough if Eric stops or delays the intended act of the villain. Fists are considered 'persuaders' int his case. If he fails, then he is possessed at midnight by the Rider - a dark spirit of retribution and justice: Who will not hesitate to kill.

The Rider will possess Eric until sunup, then say "Midnight will come again, ere the world's end!"

Origin: Eric 'the Cat' Driver was a second-story man, a cat burglar and career criminal who died on the operating table at St. Anne's hospital from multiple gunshot wounds. He saw an eternity of darkness and hell before him and cried out that he would do anything to live another day - he'd atone for his deeds somehow!

He heard: "I will send you to men such as you: if they repent, you will live free. If they do not, then I will send my [?angel?] [into/through] you to bring them to justice. I have bought you. You are mine."

Eric uses all his charm and talents to persuade his old cronies to quit the business - because he KNOWS at midnight the Rider will come to kill them!

p.s. Inspiration is from Johnny Cash's cover of 'God's Gonna Cut You Down':

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 11:16pm by »  

Midnight_Rider_face.jpg ( 24 KB | 6 Downloads )
Midnight_Rider_face.jpg

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Nice!  Some songs give the best inspiration.  I had another Ghost-Riderish character called The Confessor, based on the Joe Walsh song.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Those are some tough choices.  I had a heck of a time choosing which power to drop (between Body Power - which is so wide-open - and Flame Power).

I would go with a male and choose Powers in each case (with already good stats, I didn't find it super necessary to take any of the Skills, though Ht. A is always tempting).

I'd go with the following:

Flame Power: As per the rules; body able to 'flame on', flight, ranged Flame attack, etc.

Absorption: Able to absorb, without a saved action, any incoming energy attacks; damage done is converted into Hit Points gained, up to a maximum of twice the character's starting Hit Points; PR-3 per attack absorbed; may also absorb up to his weight in solid matter per day, which takes one Action, PR-3; character gains Hit Points = amount of material consumed by flame (rolll to determine amount on Brawling Weapons table).

Special Requirement: Must consume up to his body weight in solid material (or X amount of energy) per day in order for Flame Powers to work.

This concept is based a bit on Brimstone from the module Alone Into the Night, who combined Flame Powers and Absorption (plus Size Change), IIRC.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I intentionally waited on reading the other write-ups until I submitted mine.  Great jobs, all (I guess I need to do a bit more and give a name, origin, background, etc. for mine).

Interesting how they all seem to be somewhat similar in the Flaming/consumption angle.  Even one who didn't keep Flame Powers has a bit of the fire-thing going on.    Smiley

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Having some trouble editing my post...

Well, the 'darkforce constructs' have an insane SSR.

Their SSR should be based on the CHA of the Rider. - Still very tough, but some brutes will break them.

There. That's better.

IP Logged

>