Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Future Character Location Origins (Read 1936 times)
davew
Avenger

Designer

Future Character Location Origins
Mar 11th, 2010 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Hey everyone! I was thinking about the origins of different characters and was wondering what locations people would like to see villains and perhaps heroes hail from for future projects. I've always found the small but definite sprinkling of Canadian characters interesting and I've already have at least one or two Canadians in the mix of future plans. Naturally there will be a few definite U.S. and European ones due to a specific style or flavor I want to incorporate. Normally I like to try to keep the origins out of the mention of the ones that can be practically dropped into campaigns located most anywhere but it doesn't hurt to have a specific nationality or regional flavor from time to time.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Future Character Location Origins
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Off the top of my head, here's a few real life countries I'd suggest:

Canada
Mexico
Argentina
Colombia
Brazil
The UK
Ireland
Germany
France
Spain
The Ukraine
Russia
Turkey
Egypt
Israel
Nigeria
Kenya
South Africa
China
Japan
South Korea
India
Pakistan
Australia (lets show Dr. Dedman a little love)
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2010 at 11:21pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Also, I'd like any "foreign" characters to stay away from stereotypes. The Japanese character who's powers  have either got something to do with the Sun, or the African character who comes from somewhere in the jungle  Roll Eyes, and the Israeli character that just has to have the Star of David on their costume.

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 7:52am
Print Post  
dsumner- Well point! I feel the same way... although I've got to say that I've been a bit stereotypical in the past with having a few British character types that were punk rockers, ravers, or junkies like off the movie Trainspotting with a mild super power or two added on.
Not saying that Brits are all punks, ravers, or junkies.... just that I chose their underground culture as the best origin point for characters of these particular themes.

One of my latest villains, Sparkplug, is actually Canadian.... has nothing to do with a Canadian theme, but is Canadian. He's slated to eventually become part of a super villain team of crooks (hint.... Mr. Varsity may also be part of this team as well). Sparkplug is basically a young, reckless, doesn't think sort of criminal that was given electrical powers when he made the mistake of trying to steal some copper wire that just happened to have been live at the time. (of course, you can just simply read about that in Truth Seeker Weekly)

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Dave, care to throw out a few more "bones" on upcoming material?

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill W.
Sidekick

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 2:26am
Print Post  
It's incredible to see that new material is in the works. Best wishes out out to everyone involved in this endeavor!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Bill- Thanks!

dsumner- Funny you should ask, the 4th freebie installment is finished and should be up on the site pretty soon! (As in, start checking regular over the next few days and all) This one is a bit different than the rest, its what I call a "playset", although its more of a hybrid between my eventual playset intentions and the current action map releases- long story short, it is both a commerical location and a ready made headquarters for the villain of your choice.
(since your in law enforcement you'll probably notice one thing... I didn't use the standard toliet/sink combo like you see in corrections for some certain cells (  Wink.... as the villain might want to make his more important prisoners feel a wee bit more at home- especially if they are simply held for ransom)

On other news of stuff-

Citizen Report, which is both a commerical (as in price tag) product and the very first thing I worked on for V&V, is in production and slated for future release. I got to see the first batch for art for it a week and a half ago and the stuff is awesome! A bit different than Z-Man's pen or the older, but very well done, very suiting for that product.

I'm bouncing between a bit of commerical work and freebie work right now but should be starting on the next project soon... actually we've already started on the next freebie somewhat as I've been playing around with ideas for it over the last couple of weeks. The next one is going to be a wee bit smaller (similiar to the pawn shop- which was actually the intended product size for most of the releases), but a very common real world location... thus likely most all campaign cities will be in the need of.

Thanks for asking!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to seeing all of this, Dave.  Thanks again for keeping us informed!    Smiley

IP Logged

Trev-Man
Sidekick

V&V Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
WTF? There's new V&V material available? And by new, you don't mean 1980 new? Holy sh&%t! Where do I sign up??? All my classic stuff is falling apart from years of luvin' ...  Smiley

I can't tell you how many groups of players have gone through some of my modules.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Trev-Man...
Yep. Stacy and I have been working on some stuff lately. There's a few freebies already up, with another on the way soon... go to FGU's website at www.fantasygamesunlimited.net
(check out the Freebies)

Granted, these are mostly normal locations... basically action maps of typical modern era places. There's some other modules in production though.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Trev-Man wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 7:29pm:
WTF? There's new V&V material available? And by new, you don't mean 1980 new? Holy sh&%t! Where do I sign up??? All my classic stuff is falling apart from years of luvin' ...  Smiley

I can't tell you how many groups of players have gone through some of my modules.

You can also purchase many of the original releases... in pretty much the exact same identical format. I remember when I bought my first replacement V&V core book a good while back I nearly cried with joy... it was exact to the one I wore out so many years ago. Naturally I had to start buying up stuff.

IP Logged

Trev-Man
Sidekick

V&V Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:09pm:
Trev-Man...
Yep. Stacy and I have been working on some stuff lately. There's a few freebies already up, with another on the way soon... go to FGU's website at www.fantasygamesunlimited.net
(check out the Freebies)

Granted, these are mostly normal locations... basically action maps of typical modern era places. There's some other modules in production though.

This is great. THANK YOU !

IP Logged

>