Normal Topic Guilty Pleasures (Read 1691 times)
davew
Avenger

Designer

Guilty Pleasures
Mar 30th, 2010 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Okay,
Totally off the subject... what's everyone's horrid guilty pleasures!?!

I'll be first and admit these...
1. Raw Beef- I have a thing for raw beef... I'm talking beyond rare. I have a tendency to pop a small slice or two into my mouth while preparing steaks and the like. If I could find it socially acceptable enough amongst my co-workers I would actually just take a slab straight out of the pack, cut it up, and start eating it right then and there... but that would probably end a social luncheon rather quick.  Shocked

2. Rave/Techno- Which my wife hates. When she's not around and I'm working on something (such as those freebies you download... well, I hope you download), I'm blasting early 90's rave music....

3. Ru Paul's Drag Race.... and South Park- Two guilty pleasures that me and my wife both watch on a regular basis (and I'm not even a tv person) but you don't exactly admit it at the office...
Embarrassed

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Guilty Pleasures
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 10:55pm:
3. Ru Paul's Drag Race.... and South Park- Two guilty pleasures that me and my wife both watch on a regular basis (and I'm not even a tv person) but you don't exactly admit it at the office...

South Park's satire is underappreciated, and their film is one of my favorite musicials!

I still quote from Ru Paul's cameo in A Very Brady Sequel.

Guilt free!
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:43pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:06am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 30th, 2010 at 10:55pm:
2. Rave/Techno- Which my wife hates. When she's not around and I'm working on something (such as those freebies you download... well, I hope you download), I'm blasting early 90's rave music....

I've got close to 20 gigs of Techno/House music, and vidoes on my PC, and copy more of it whenever I get the chance (Hell I got three remixes of What is Love", as well as vidoes of "Can you Feel it", "I like to Work It").

Lets see...for me, cheesy 50 & 60's sci-fi flicks. I've got a whole stack of DVDs I picked up on Ebay, for a couple of bucks apeice.

A big geesy Philly Cheese Steak or some Italian Sausage with peppers and onions. I'll straight murder one of them if given the chance.

collecting old out of print board games. I've spent the last five years collecting out of print board games. I just enjoy digging around through bins at flea markets, looking on line, and checking what's in the back room at game stores. If something catches my eye, and the price is within reason, I see what kind of deal I can work out.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Same here on the old board games.... I've come across a couple of really unusual ones that I've picked up for dirt cheap at thrift stores and yard sales...  including Chem Action (a board game from some chemical company- its like Scrabble in a way but you build real world molecular formulas instead of words), Shadowlord! (a sci-fi/fantasy crossover), and Danger Island.
Board game design is something that I've also fiddled around with in my spare time and we have one that I made that we play pretty regular (it has 4 different ways to win so each game experience is often quite unique) but I've yet to seriously seek out publication of it. I've also been playing around with a couple of experimental solitaire board games I've made over the last few years (one is a sci-fi trading game and another is a junked out, hostile prison planet deal that you try to escape from)... for these I use a combination of a game board and a character stat and check off sheet.

Board and other table top games rock and will never be truthfully 100% replaced in my opinion... their market may be all but utterly beaten up by pc and console games, but you'll never be able to fully replace the feeling of sitting down at a table and interacting (plus the follies... like the one person that can never seem to roll their dice right, such as it rolling off the table, the person that always hogs up the bean dip, etc.)

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I have to say its comics and action figures.    When you are in your 40's and your biggest worry in life is that you are about to run out of room for more toys and comics,  you may be a redne... I mean fanboy.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Pop Tarts. I eat too many Pop Tarts.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Reser's cheese and bacon dip, Burger King Cheeseburgers, Burgerville Cheeseburgers with extra spread. That's the worst of it for food anyway, the wife and I are on a diet and exercising to get in shape for GenCon so none of that stuff for awhile.

Comic's - JLA, Teen Titans, The Blackest Night event that is just finishing up, I am completely gaga for the new Green Hornet that Dynamite is putting out right now!

Cookbooks - I would have an entire library of these if my wife would let me, I used to be a chef and I have some very old cookbooks, talking close to 100 years old for a couple. I pick them up and stash them for awhile then tell the wife "Oh I have had that for a long time!"

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Drosta- I try the same thing with my wife and it never works... rpg books, regular books, board games, miniatures, etc. In our house "coming out of the closet" means my wife caught me red handed trying to slip in some new purchase that I snuck and got. Its not really a money issue either, as I really don't spend all that much... its more of a space issue.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Luckily for me, my wife and I have a three bedroom house. My son is 19 and moved out. We have the master bedroom as our bedroom of course, the second bedroom is my wife's office (she works from home), and the third bedroom is my man cave. I have a bookshelf full of miniatures and terrain stuff, a closet for rpg books, and a desk for painting miniatures complete with magnifying light setup.

IP Logged

>