Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What kind of playsets would be most useful? (Read 2168 times)
davew
Avenger

Designer

What kind of playsets would be most useful?
Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Since there's been some positive feedback about Diamante's and everyone's a bit more familiar with my playset versus action map concept now, what kind of playsets would you folks find most useful?

I've thought about a spaceship (interior and all), secret lab, etc... but what else would be needed?

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Re: What kind of playsets would be most useful?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I agree with
Spaceship and Secret Lab

Also
Occult Lair
Institution for the Criminally Insane
SuperMax Prison
Transportation Company (Warehouse, Docks, and Cargo Ship)

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:09am
Print Post  
The supermax prison and institution is actually already in the works... but will be a commercial product instead of a freebie.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I second the suggestion for large wharehouse or a set of docks, as they both seem to be pretty common settings, in the comics. Also, a large lab/tech firm; a military base; or a space launch facility would be nice. And while I'm thinking about it, an undersea facility would be good.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I am definatly all for more vehicles.  Cars trucks, vans,  forklifts, spaceships,  space stations, battle ships, submarines and such.

One never knows when you may need the stats for such a thing.

And more weapons, hi tech and low tech.   That would be cool.

And things like Most Wanted.  New badguys!      

More powers!  More Powers and more powers.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
John-
You need to be on the lookout then for the next V&V commercial product... Citizen Report. This was actually the first thing that I worked on for FGU and it should be coming out in the near future. There's stats for forklifts (3 size grades, in fact), mopeds, golf carts, tour buses, jet skis, pick up trucks, racer bikes, tour bikes, etc. etc. etc.
There's also weapons in Citizen Report, though of the low tech mundane variety only (since it is a report on Citizen props), stylized gangs also... the image by Lorena on the advert shows the punk gang The Darlings.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I want the Zoo,  a Most Wanted book filled with animals all stated out.   Not the chart the rule book gives, but each animal as if it were a supervillian in the Most Wanted.

Tigers with Natural Weaponry as they should have.

Cats and dogs with heighented senses like they really have.

Cheetas with speed bonus.   

Animal stats like we started in the House Rules Animal Powers thread.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I'm not as sure this one should be a Playset (rather than a standard map), but I'll let you decide:

Today as I was reading the newspaper (yes, they actually still make them) there was a front page article about an oil refinery explosion.  About 5 people were killed, and the article went on to explain how dangerous refineries really are, and how most serious accidents happen there, even though they are seriously outnumbered by chemical factories.  In two places/articles it said that there are approximately 150 refineries in the U.S., while there are tens of thousands of chemical plants.

It got me to thinking about how many classic action movies end up at some sort of large industrial factory-type setting.  Like Terminator 2, for example.  Such a setting would have tons of danger and potential for harm to all involved.

The closest we've ever come was a brief period of time where the Guardians set up their base on an oil derrick off the East Coast of the U.S.  They ended up being attacked by a kraken (Bluegill's, specifically) and having other fights there, but nobody ever mapped the place out or knew any of the specifics.

I think a chemical factory, oil refinery, or oil derrick would all make an outstanding map or playset, though I admit it would probably be harder than the local Gas-n-Go to scout out to find information!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:17pm:
I think a chemical factory, oil refinery, or oil derrick would all make an outstanding map or playset, though I admit it would probably be harder than the local Gas-n-Go to scout out to find information!

Hmmm...not a bad idea. I could see a series of mini-adventures revolving around places like oil refineries, chemical plants, large processing plants, etc. Say being attacked by a group of super-powered eco-terrorists. Say a group called The Front, that’s dedicated to saving the Earth from Man.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I second that.

And also a compendium of military weapons, gadjets and equipment.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Great ideas!
I've been thinking about doing some industrial settings myself, and was  working on a small machine and weld shop layout one night but did not finish it. My first career was in the fabrication of large scale mining equipment (Joy Mining Machinery to be exact, we built the longwall units at my facility) and I also worked there in the warehouse.... so this is near and dear to me too and I always thought that such places would be great battle scenes...
for that matter, they would also be ideal bases of operation for criminals.... they have the perfect gear to make all sorts of brutal stuff.

The zoo is something I was  planning on eventually making as an adventure.... because you know that animal control is much too tempting not to use in this setup....

And I can also personally see the need for animal stats as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:50pm by davew »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:42pm:
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:17pm:

Hmmm...not a bad idea. I could see a series of mini-adventures revolving around places like oil refineries, chemical plants, large processing plants, etc. Say being attacked by a group of super-powered eco-terrorists. Say a group called The Front, that’s dedicated to saving the Earth from Man.

We've actually had a group like this in our Guardians campaign, though they've only shown up twice before.  They are Canadian (so take that, you Canucks! Smiley), and were simply known as the LeBeque Gang.  One villainess in the group is called Earth Mother.

One of my PCs (the main one I'm playing right now) is from India, and he got his superpowers as a result of the Bhopal disaster.  Part of his motivation is to keep the Earth safe from those who would destroy it.

I've long thought of doing an adventure with eco-terrorists.  I've even printed off a magazine article about it as source material if I ever need it.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
How about a generic Superheroes HQ or base.

Most the time, I have to take either convert Crusader Citadel or that a Villains lair and convert it.

A nice generic base for Superheroes would be nice.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Cougar... that's actually a very good plan, especially since we've already included one villainous location of sorts.
There was mention in the past of a training/exercise area... I think that would be a good edition also, although perhaps a bit better at the headquarters but possibly also later as an independent center.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
For hero bases, our groups have done many different things.  The Guardians first took over/commandeered the Organizer's hangout (from "Organized Crimes") and used it as their own base!

We often/usually just have a loosely defined, unmapped base, though I have mapped out entire bases before as well.

IP Logged

>