Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Heightened Mental Abilities (Read 1659 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Heightened Mental Abilities
Apr 3rd, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Heightened Mental Abilities: The character has 1d4+2 special abilities from the following list:

• Photographic Memory: The character remembers anything he has seen or read.
  • Sense of Direction: The character always knows what direction they're traveling in.
  • Absolute Sense of Time: The character always knows what time it is, and how much time has passed.
  • Speed Reader: The character reads at an incredibly high rate of speed. GMs should be flexible with this, as characters in comics, and other media, are routinely depicted as reading massive volumes of material in short periods of time. How much of the information the character will retain is open.
  • Universal Translator: The character can read and/or understand any written language. The exact length of time it will take him to do so, is left up to the GM.
  • Lightning Calculator: The character can complete mathematical calculations at a superhuman rate of speed (ex. Mr. Spock.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2024 at 3:15am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Heightened Mental Abilities
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I like them.  I was thinking of something along those lines.  Anymore ablities we can think of ?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:04pm:
Anymore ablities we can think of ?

I can probably work up a few more.

YIM  
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Very nice!

IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
How about the ability to actually pre-calculate outcome? Like if a situation arises, maybe a percentage to successfully discern the outcome before it actually happens?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
BillytheSquid wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 12:15pm:
How about the ability to actually pre-calculate outcome? Like if a situation arises, maybe a percentage to successfully discern the outcome before it actually happens?

So it would be a form of Precognition? I'd say the character would have an INT x 3% chance to successfully determine the outcome of any situation. But, instead of including it in my  list, I'd make it a separate ability, as the one's I've listed here are relatively low level abilities, and a precognitive ability could seriously affect the outcome of a game.

YIM  
IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
That sounds good, also it could be only used perhaps once a day also. It would be quite an overused power if left unchecked I suppose.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
BillytheSquid wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:54pm:
That sounds good, also it could be only used perhaps once a day also. It would be quite an overused power if left unchecked I suppose.

I would say how many times per day would depend on the scenario, and I'd take it on a case by case basis.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Decipher's CODA system has a couple of Edges (sort of like powers or abilities) that are very similar (the awareness of time and direction); I think Star Trek has the awareness of time and Lord of the Rings has the awareness of direction.

I've been recently reading through a really cool game system called Into the Shadows that I'm gearing up to start playing with my son and daughter.  It's essentially West End Games' d6 system (like for their Star Wars RPG) and it was adapted for a modern horror/adventure genre by Craig Griswold (of V&V HQ fame).  He did an amazing job of compiling a couple hundred pages of monsters, vehicles, weapons, etc. that allow one to game in the action-adventure setting, anything from Cthulu to X-Files to Die Hard.  In it, he has a whole host of psionic powers and abilities, and many of them are similar to what you've listed.

It would be difficult to name them all, but the main groupings are Block, Clairvoyance, Control, Precognition, Psychometry, Pyrokinesis, Regulate, Spirit, Telekinesis, and Telepathy.

If anyone wants me to, I could list all of them.  Or, alternately, anyone could look up the game (it's free online) and turn to p. 48-58 in the rules.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:08pm:
Decipher's CODA system has a couple of Edges (sort of like powers or abilities) that are very similar (the awareness of time and direction); I think Star Trek has the awareness of time and Lord of the Rings has the awareness of direction.

I've been recently reading through a really cool game system called Into the Shadows that I'm gearing up to start playing with my son and daughter.  It's essentially West End Games' d6 system (like for their Star Wars RPG) and it was adapted for a modern horror/adventure genre by Craig Griswold (of V&V HQ fame).  He did an amazing job of compiling a couple hundred pages of monsters, vehicles, weapons, etc. that allow one to game in the action-adventure setting, anything from Cthulu to X-Files to Die Hard.  In it, he has a whole host of psionic powers and abilities, and many of them are similar to what you've listed.

It would be difficult to name them all, but the main groupings are Block, Clairvoyance, Control, Precognition, Psychometry, Pyrokinesis, Regulate, Spirit, Telekinesis, and Telepathy.

If anyone wants me to, I could list all of them.  Or, alternately, anyone could look up the game (it's free online) and turn to p. 48-58 in the rules.

I've actually got a whole list of Psionic abilities, some of which I've worked out stats for, others I haven't. Since I need to say up for while, I just might start listing them out later on to night, in a separate thread.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Bump