Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Map scale (Read 2827 times)
Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Map scale
Apr 19th, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
I'm a grid-map-driven kind of guy so I was wondering how others handle this.
V&V, more than any other RPG I've played seems to demand a large playing field. One also, however, wants to play at appropriate scale for best tactical options.

I've been thinking of making a 10x scale map when needed and then have several "breakout" 10x10 maps that can be used for close combat when needed. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work well? Are there caveats or better solutions that involve maps?

I realize there are probably many who don't use maps for such things, but I'm not particularly interested in a free-form or ruler-measuring approach (I just can't get myself to do it), although they're certainly worth discussing here or elsewhere.

Dave's new used bookstore PDF got me thinking about how to do a whole shopping mall.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Map scale
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
To be honest, I just use whatever scale I think will work well. If it's something like a city, I'm not going to use the same scale I would with a single building.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
This sounds kind of like the old boardgame Titan by Avalon Hill.  You had the master map, then when combat ensued, you had a smaller map that was referenced by the larger map (I think the only distinction was terrain type - but the smaller maps had difficult terrain, blocking terrain, etc...)

So you are thinking about master map - mall.  Fight breaks out in food court, pull out the food court (and maybe the surrounding maps)?  That sounds sweet, but means you'll have to have a lot of maps ready.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Actually I was thinking more that when there is an encounter, just break out a blank 10x10 map, if it's a small battle, or a 30x30 to cover 9 of the "big" squares.

I'd then quick draw up details based on where the encounter happened. Meanwhile other encounters can happen a good distance away, people can be on their way, etc.

In fact, for fun I just made up the Pearl St Mall in Boulder with 50 ft squares which I hope to spring on my players soon.

The link is here: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bw7WeAh30rD2ZDc3OTFlN2UtY2Q0Mi00NmI3LTk1MTA...
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 12:08pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I prefer using a 20-foot by 20-foot floor map (with 1" = 5 feet), to represent 1200-feet squared in the gameworld. It works reasonably well since most battles in the modules don't cross over more than 2-square city blocks.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
The most I could probably muster in my house is about 6 ft x 6 ft and that wouldn't even allow for any books etc. on the outside edges.

IP Logged

iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:57pm:
The most I could probably muster in my house is about 6 ft x 6 ft and that wouldn't even allow for any books etc. on the outside edges.

That still makes for 72" (360 feet in V&V and minatures)terms). Most of the time that will work. Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:15pm by iggy rock »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Yeah, except I don't particularly like playing on the floor!

...and I don't trust my cat to not knock everything over...

...and I don't trust my kids to not knock everything over...

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:53pm:
This sounds kind of like the old boardgame Titan by Avalon Hill.  You had the master map, then when combat ensued, you had a smaller map that was referenced by the larger map (I think the only distinction was terrain type - but the smaller maps had difficult terrain, blocking terrain, etc...)

Pretty cool!

I hadn't heard about it before and a little research indicates it was co-written by David "Wormy" Trampier!

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
iggy rock wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 7:43pm:
I prefer using a 20-foot by 20-foot floor map (with 1" = 5 feet), to represent 1200-feet squared in the gameworld. It works reasonably well since most battles in the modules don't cross over more than 2-square city blocks.

I forgot to ask, do you have pictures of your setup?

I'd love to see it!

IP Logged

iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 21st, 2010 at 2:18pm:
I forgot to ask, do you have pictures of your setup?

I'd love to see it! 

No photos. Just a few big pieces of graph paper with 1" x 1" squares taped together that gets laid out on the floor during mega-outdoor battles to determine everyone's position.

With most indoor fights, a tabletop map works fine.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
We often use a large vinyl map, and it's big enough that it almost always does the trick (at 1"=5 ft.).  I can confidently say that I've seen many hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) battles done this way, and it rarely spills outside the battle map area (even when outdoors).

In fact, for us, the V&V ranges factor in extremely rarely, since most things occur within 30" or less (interestingly enough, for "real life" combat, I've heard that most actual combat/battles for police and local law enforcement end up occuring over just a couple of seconds and with combatants only a few feet apart).

One time I created a big event in downtown Nawr-lins (that's New Orleans) right after Hurricane Katrina.  Due to the much bigger scale, I similarly created some larger maps to show the bigger area.  My actual battle map - created for one of our local GuardianCons - was a simple 3-D replica which was a bit bigger than normal; I even used a Lando Calrissian action figure on horseback to represent the necessary statue of Andrew Jackson in Jackson Square!     Cool

IP Logged

iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:17pm:
We often use a large vinyl map, and it's big enough that it almost always does the trick (at 1"=5 ft.).I can confidently say that I've seen many hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) battles done this way, and it rarely spills outside the battle map area (even when outdoors).

Excellent idea. It never occured to me to take the map outdoors. We could use the picnic table for the heart of the battle, then use tape measures to determine distances for speedsters and flyers who might try to skirt away. If the weather's nice, we might just have to do this. Just hope the neighbor's cat doesn't come by and decide to knock over some of the minatures!

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Yeah, maybe it's just the way it went down, but I felt rather confined by the small space in a battle we just ran on a 30x50 battlemat. Movement rates essentially meant nothing and I just sort of hand waved that the bad guy got away because he had a higher movement rate.

Maybe because I'm used to games where most characters move 6 inches per turn as opposed to 30+, I felt like I lost out on tactical aspects of movement (anybody could move anywhere). Again, maybe I just need to be "trained" or I'm doing something wrong.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
iggy rock wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:49pm:
Majestic wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:17pm:
We often use a large vinyl map, and it's big enough that it almost always does the trick (at 1"=5 ft.).I can confidently say that I've seen many hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) battles done this way, and it rarely spills outside the battle map area (even when outdoors).

Excellent idea. It never occured to me to take the map outdoors. We could use the picnic table for the heart of the battle, then use tape measures to determine distances for speedsters and flyers who might try to skirt away. If the weather's nice, we might just have to do this. Just hope the neighbor's cat doesn't come by and decide to knock over some of the minatures!

I actually meant that things in the gameworld (the campaign) - the setting the heroes were at - was outdoors, as opposed to us actually playing outdoors.    Grin

Though I think we've done that (actually played outdoors, that is).  We used a table under an awning in my backyard at least once.  We've gamed by candlelight when the power went out, taken things outdoors when it was too hot out and unbearable inside, etc.    Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 6:45pm:
Yeah, maybe it's just the way it went down, but I felt rather confined by the small space in a battle we just ran on a 30x50 battlemat. Movement rates essentially meant nothing and I just sort of hand waved that the bad guy got away because he had a higher movement rate.

Maybe because I'm used to games where most characters move 6 inches per turn as opposed to 30+, I felt like I lost out on tactical aspects of movement (anybody could move anywhere). Again, maybe I just need to be "trained" or I'm doing something wrong.

You're not doing anything wrong, Lord_ Inar; it might just take a bit to get 'up to speed' using movement V&V style, but it works well once you get the hang of it.

One option we use - from a published magazine article - is to charge characters 1 point of Power if they use 1/2 (or more) of their Movement in any given turn.  It's a good system that slows people down a bit, and it symbolizes well how much it takes to exert for a long period of time (an ordinary man will tire quickly when running at full speed - or even jogging - for a number of minutes).

For flying and superfast characters, movement is somewhat irrelevant.  They get to move wherever the heck they want to all over the game board.  For more "normal" characters (with 40 or 50" of movement), they tend to be able to move pretty much wherever they want (on a limited battlemat), but it's not uncommon for them to be a little restricted in where they can move (i.e., they might not be able to get where they want until the next turn).

Remember that a character with 40" of Movement only gets that amount per turn.  So if they run into the center of battle (spending 16" to get there) and punch the bad guy (who then flies back 10" from knockback) and then on their second move they move 15" to get to where the bad guy is at that point, they've used 31" of their 40".  If they get to move a third time, they now can only move a maximum of 9 more inches!

There are a lot of other things in the game that cost "Movement only", and I've actually come up with a list (though I rarely use it) that shows what it takes to do certain things.  Some is based on little blurbs in the modules, but much of it is stuff I made up myself.  So it might take 3" to move through an unlocked door, 5" to put on a coat, etc. (I"m making these up; I don't have my list in front of me).  Each of these would - in theory - take up some of that character's movement allowance for their turn.  Someone who got really nitpicky could charge each player for each time they get stuff off their utility belt, dodge a punch, or even to evade!

Bottom line is that movement rarely factors in.  For the most part characters can move towards (and get to) each other without huge restrictions in this game, and I rather like that.  Other games have movement taking up actions, and this can tend to slow a game down tactically.  I really like the way V&V allows most movement to occur without restriction.    Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2010 at 5:51pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

>