Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Power Modifiers (Read 11169 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Power Modifiers
Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Power Modifiers

Okay, these have been popping into my head all day. In addition to the "Penetrating" I posted earlier, here's a few others.

Auto-fire: (You could simulate powers like Starfire’s energy blast). The character’s power works like an automatic weapon, firing multiple “shots” each time it’s used. The character would pay normal PR +2, for every “shot”. Each additional “shot” would have a -1 to hit, and -1 point of damage.

Explosive: The power has a burst effect that would inflict 1/2 damage to anyone caught in the burst radius. I could see it working for energy based powers, or things like telekinesis. I’d say the character would have to pay 2x normal PR to get a 1″ radius burst effect.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2022 at 11:12pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Re: Power Modifiers
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Each additional “shot” would have a -1 to hit, and -1 point of damage.

Shouldn't that read +1 to hit and -1 to damage.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:58pm:
Quote:

Actually, no. You'd be less accurate, not more, with each additional shot. Any other comments? Does this stuff sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:57pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Well in Secret in the Swamp, Swamp rat uses an automatic rifle and gets a -1 to damage every extra bullet he fires. No accuracy modifier per bullet though.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:28pm:
Well in Secret in the Swamp, Swamp rat uses an automatic rifle and gets a -1 to damage every extra bullet he fires. No accuracy modifier per bullet though.

Yeah, that seems to the standard for automatic weapons in V&V. I prefer that a power with Autofire not work that way, as I think it'd make it to powerful.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:45am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:24am
Print Post  
In Mongoose Publishing's version of Traveller autofire weapons have a bonus to hit and a negative to damage per shot fired. This is supposed to model the possibility that, with more bullets in the air your more likely to hit something, and with the gun recoiling on you so much your less likely to hit exactly where your aiming. Guess I am kind of used to thinking of autofire weapons in this manner now. I will have to look at GURPS and see what sort of mechanic they use.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 8:04am
Print Post  
I like it D. That's a lot like the champions rule for auto fire. Are you thinking of trying these in your on line game?

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:06pm:
Duroon wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:58pm:
Quote:

Actually, no. You'd be less accurate, not more, with each additional shot. Any other comments? Does this stuff sound reasonable? 

One thing to consider is whether this would be usable with a device (say, if a character had a Power Blast device).  If so, then the increased PR doesn't really hurt them (though in theory it could burn through more charges).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Avatar wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 8:04am:
I like it D. That's a lot like the champions rule for auto fire. Are you thinking of trying these in your on line game?

I might let guys play test them after some additional details are worked out.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:18pm:
One thing to consider is whether this would be usable with a device (say, if a character had a Power Blast device).  If so, then the increased PR doesn't really hurt them (though in theory it could burn through more charges).

For devices they'd have them have fewer charges for each additional ability built into the device, or they'd use additional charges. So a blaster that would normally have 20 charges if used normally, would burn 2 charges every time it fired on auto fire (and I'm making this up on the fly, so if it's to "out there", let me know).
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2019 at 5:16pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:08pm:
Majestic wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:18pm:

For devices, I'd have them have few charges, for each additional ability built into the device. Or use additional charges. So a blaster that would normally have 20 charges if used normally, would burn 2 charges every time it fired on auto fire (and I'm making this up on the fly, so if it's to "out there", let me know). 

That sounds pretty reasonable.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 12:12am
Print Post  
To help clarify things, here's a an example of how one of these would work, as well as a clarification. The additional PR cost, that a Power Modification would require, would be permanently added to the cost of a power. So if you have Power Blast, which normally has a PR of 1 per shot, and make it Explosive, it’d now have a PR cost of 2, and it’d have a 1” blast radius.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2010 at 12:13am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Since I actually have the weekend off, I'm going to be tinkering with these, trying to come up with some coherent write-ups, that stay within existing game mechanics. If any of you have comments, of suggestions, feel free to post them, as I'm always open to feedback (well, most of the time Wink )

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I really like the explosive modifier.   What would you do? Make the player drop another power to gain the ablity for his powerblasts to be explosive?  Or increase the power cost?

I assume all this would be at character creation.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:09am:
I really like the explosive modifier.   What would you do? Make the player drop another power to gain the ablity for his powerblasts to be explosive?  Or increase the power cost?

I assume all this would be at character creation.

The PR would be increased. The larger the blast radius, the higher the PR. If the character wanted the ability, it'd be determined at character creation, the PR cost would be set, and then it'd be a permanent ability.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Okay, here's a slight re-write, that will hopefully clear up any questions. Plus an addition I can't believe I didn't think of before. Also, this is for the GMs, does this stuff sound like it's workable? Would it unbalance your games, are the PR costs to low, or to high?

Power Modifiers

Auto-fire: The character’s power works like an automatic weapon, firing multiple “shots” each time it’s used. The character would pay normal PR +2, plus an additional 2 points of power, for each additional “shot”. Each additional “shot” would have a cumulative -1 to hit, and do -1 point of damage. The additional PR cost would be factored in during character creation, and would be a permanent change, to the power.  So a character who wants to have an Auto-fire Power Blast would have a base PR of 3 for his Power Blast (although I may think about dropping the cost of additional shots to +1)

Explosive: The power has a burst effect, that inflicts 1/2 damage to anyone caught in the power’s burst radius. The character doubles the normal PR for each 1” of burst radius. The PR cost is permanent. So if you have Power Blast, which normally has a PR of 1 per shot, and make it Explosive, it’d now have a PR cost of 2, and it’d have a 1” blast radius. If he wanted a 2” burst radius, the PR would be 4 per shot, 3” would cost 8”, etc..

Increased Range: By paying double the standard PR, the character can increase the range/radius of any power by 50%. So if the character's Power Blast normally has a range of 30", and a PR cost of 1, he could increase the range to 45", at a PR of 2. Like the other modifications, the change is permanent.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2021 at 1:55pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I think as long as you're talking 1d20 (at the maximum) blasts, these should work fine.  If a character had a 2d20, though, I'd be concerned about the auto-fire and explosive versions.

PR 2 for the auto-fire is probably appropriate.  Testing it at 2 should let you know (it's always easier to change it from 2 to 1 than it is to start at 1 and increase it to 2).    Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:17pm:
I think as long as you're talking 1d20 (at the maximum) blasts, these should work fine.  If a character had a 2d20, though, I'd be concerned about the auto-fire and explosive versions.

PR 2 for the auto-fire is probably appropriate.  Testing it at 2 should let you know (it's always easier to change it from 2 to 1 than it is to start at 1 and increase it to 2).    Smiley

All of the modifiers are for powers doing standard damage rates. I could also see them being used if a character rolled the same power twice. So instead doubling the powers effects, you could choose one of the modifiers.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:31pm:
Majestic wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 2:17pm:

All of the modifiers are for powers doing standard damage rates. I could also see them being used if a character rolled the same power twice. So instead doubling the powers effects, you could choose one of the modifiers.

That makes sense.  Good options for players to have!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Here's another one.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

How's that sound?
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2019 at 5:18pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:34pm:
Here's another one.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

How's that sound? 

That actually sounds like a really cool power (and better than your average Heightened Expertise).  A fun way to get a +4 facing bonus!    Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:39pm:
That actually sounds like a really cool power (and better than your average Heightened Expertise).  A fun way to get a +4 facing bonus!    Smiley

And I think it's pretty consistent with the way you see some powers work in comics.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I could see someone using Heightened  Expertise,and making it expertise with Indirect attack. That could be used for skilled guys who bounce attacks. (Shield throws for a certain patriot come to mind)

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Cyclops too is supposed to be an expert at computing angles and bouncing his eyebeam off of other things to be able to hit his target.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I've been giving all of this some thought, and instead of trying to just modify the PR, I'm seriously considering have the player drop a power to get one of these mods, or have it available as an option if the player rolls the power twice. Or for certain powers, have the character spend an inventing point, and then train with the power, to "discover" a new use for it.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 2:11pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of spending Inventing Points to gain new uses of powers.  But then there's part of me that worries that our game will soon escalate too much, if I start allowing characters to do that (the PCs are already pretty powerful).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 5:55pm:
I like the idea of spending Inventing Points to gain new uses of powers.  But then there's part of me that worries that our game will soon escalate too much, if I start allowing characters to do that (the PCs are already pretty powerful).

Well, over the years, I've discovered that as GM, I can curtail power creep by using a simple formula. If I think it'll make them to powerful, I just say no.  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Deleted.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2010 at 5:35pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Normally, if someone wants soemthing like this, I drop the damage level and/or increase the power cost.

Someone wants a Flame Blast with a 2" burst radius, it can do 2d6 Damage, with -1d6 per ".  So the main target will take 2d6 and the adjacent targets take 1d6 if hit.

And so on.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Gigglestick wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:15pm:
Normally, if someone wants soemthing like this, I drop the damage level and/or increase the power cost.

Someone wants a Flame Blast with a 2" burst radius, it can do 2d6 Damage, with -1d6 per ".  So the main target will take 2d6 and the adjacent targets take 1d6 if hit.

And so on.

The "Explosive" option does less damage in the burst radius.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
That works too.  These all look like good ideas.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:30am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:34pm:
Here's another one.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

How's that sound? 

I really like this power but wonder if a more appropriate name would be Redirect or Ricochet

When I think of a power being Indirect I think that the power does not originate from PC.

Examples:

Storm can create a tornado in the exact spot of the opponent.  She can have hail come down on them.  She can call down lightning from the opposite direction from where she is standing.  Non of her powers have to touch her first then go to the target.

The Invisible Woman can place a force field around a opponent or a field bubble around the opponents head.

Pyro can create a fire attack from anywhere.  He once used a lighter in the Blob's hand to shot out a fiery monster at the Blob

Terra could create earth columns anywhere which could ram an opponent.

So using these examples there would be two Power Modifiers.

Redirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them ignore the terrain between the character and their target.  The target gains no bonus from hiding, protecting powers which are not attached, or being prone. This modifier povides a +4 bonus to hit.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Those are really good points, Cougar!

I often let characters with appropriate powers to do this (like Weather Control characters).  In other words, a villain may or may not be able to tell which character is hurling lightning bolts at them.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #33 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I'd like to know if anyone's made use of them.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #34 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up