Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Force Field "revision" from VIGIL (Read 10366 times)
Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Force Field "revision" from VIGIL
Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:04am
Print Post  
This was in the VIGIL fanzine that was recently unearthed, in an article written by Jeff Dee. I kind of like this idea.

It replaces the way that the Force Screen portion of the Force Field power functions with an "Invulnerability screen"; 2 points of protection for each power point spent, maximum protection of S + E. Size of the screen is as per the rules. Once generated you must spend one action per round to maintain it. The field ceases to exist if it is reduced to zero by damage in a single turn, and then must be reformed.

I'm going to house rule this in as an option for Force Field using characters as I find it generally less confusing than the current version Smiley

Allen

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Force Field "revision" from VIGIL
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
While I like it, it's powers like this that make me wish V&V had a will stat. Super Strong characters get advantages with STR based powers, when it should be more of a combination of the character's will and END.  Sad

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I suppose you could always modify it to use Charisma as that seems to be the "force of will" stat, even though that doesn't quite sound right to me either.

Might be good just to use E x 2

Allen

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:40am:
While I like it, it's powers like this that make me wish V&V had a will stat. Super Strong characters get advantages with STR based powers, when it should be more of a combination of the character's will and END.  Sad

Why not just add a Willpower stat for home brew rules?

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Avatar wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:09pm:
Why not just add a Willpower stat for home brew rules?

I've considered it several times, but I'm far to lazy to actually go back and rewrite all the power descriptions that I think it'd be incorporated into.  Wink One day, I might get motivated and knock that "little" project out, along with a few other mods that I think would make the game smother.

YIM  
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I've also thought of adding a Willpower stat. I have some house rules for Willpower written up somewhere on my computer.

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I use a will stat.  Willpower is the power, will is the attribute.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of replacing strength with charisma.  While it isn't the same as will.  It can be close.  I always like the idea of Charisma representing a force of will kind of stat.  So characters are reacting to the characters will instead of prettiness.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
@IP: I love this approach to Force Field!

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
What is the Vigil fanzine? Where can I order it?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I looked this over last night at our game session (with our player who has been running a PC with Force Field for 18+ years) and - though I at first thought this would be fantastic - I am now having second thoughts.

I like the idea of it just fine, don't get me wrong.  But when we started to crunch the numbers and see what this could do for him, it got a little crazy.

He's got a Strength of 33 and an Endurance of 27.  So that means, for 30 Power, he could put up an Invisible 60 point Invulnerability field around the whole team!   Shocked  Of course none of them could probably fire out of it, but then this guy is so creative I can imagine him making little gun ports for the heroes to fire out of as well!    Grin

Subbing in Charisma for one of the other stats doesn't do much, by the way, he's somewhere around 25 in that, too.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Maybe maximum protection should be 30, like one dose of Invulnerability?

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
hmm I sort of like this... str is the best way to go as carrying capacity is used to pummel people.

the old force field wasnt much good for a pc as a protective device.  if you had 50 power points you could take a 100 points of damage more or less and then literally die when you ran out of hits.
But I agree the abuse could be there, with this. Invunerability is super tough.

I once came up with a system that was like this.  a character infuses his force field with a set strength. each point of power hes uses added 4 points that work as armor with a hundred percent protection rate.  It cost two points of power to maintain and a player could spend up to his endurance in power each turn.   

though that did not work as well either at points.

when you think force field you think sue storm, green lantern, magneto, cannonball. Not one of which, I would think would give much of a thought to six goons with hand guns.  Sue storm probably has 50 or 60 points of power and could not allow the Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, and Annihilus to once survived passage through a black hole by using these fields

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I use Force Field like this.   You take one tenth of the damage repulsed off your power.  So if you take 20 damage, you spend 2 power.    One action to set up, one per turn to maintain, movement to reshape, and pretty much the forcefield ALWAYS gets hit, unless the attacker rolls really bad.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I always found that the stats any power is based on should be determined by the characters origin and background in conjunction with GM input to assure balance and never pre-determined in the power description. A psionic based character who has force fields should be based on a combo of any 2 of Int,Cha or Will (if your using the optional stat). A character like the invisible girl could have it based on end x2 or maybe end +cha or int. 

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 5:43am
Print Post  
I like the new version.  I always disliked the rules as written since it totallyl sucks to be the guy with a force field (wham, there goes 6 power, there goes 10 power, there goes 20 power).

Oh, and reading the description of force field and comparing it to the combat table answers the age old question of whether a 0 means there is absolutely no chance to hit the target.  Force field says you take full damage to the power score if the attack penetrates - and force field reduces the hit number of all of the attacks it affects to 0.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 5:43am:
I like the new version.  I always disliked the rules as written since it totallyl sucks to be the guy with a force field (wham, there goes 6 power, there goes 10 power, there goes 20 power).

Oh, and reading the description of force field and comparing it to the combat table answers the age old question of whether a 0 means there is absolutely no chance to hit the target.  Force field says you take full damage to the power score if the attack penetrates - and force field reduces the hit number of all of the attacks it affects to 0.

Good point.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Whoops!  Sorry I didn't see your post before, Marvella!

Vigil is what is called a "fanzine", which is defined here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanzine

There was only one issue made, which is available at the Yahoo! group "VandV":
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/VandV/

You click on "Files" on the left and scroll down until you see "Vigil" in the list of files (it's near the bottom).

mw
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:22pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:07pm:
Might be good just to use E x 2

Allen

I missed this when you posted it, and I like it, as it makes sense. I'd also suggest it costing a PR of 1 or 2 per turn to maintain the field.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Didn't want to start a new topic for a related item Smiley

I just got my 2.1 and started to roll my first character in a decade. I ended up rolling Force Field twice Shocked and I have some ideals how I think it should be handled but was wondering if there is an accepted practice all ready?

Pummelling should be kind of obvious I think (?) Double the damage and PR cost(?). I'd assume range stays the same (?)

As far as the defense I'm thinking the PR cost goes from 1 per 2 of damage to 1 per four of damage (?) with everhing else staying the same (?) Surely no one would half the full damage to the power score(?)

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 3:26pm:
Didn't want to start a new topic for a related item Smiley

I just got my 2.1 and started to roll my first character in a decade. I ended up rolling Force Field twice Shocked and I have some ideals how I think it should be handled but was wondering if there is an accepted practice all ready?

Pummelling should be kind of obvious I think (?) Double the damage and PR cost(?). I'd assume range stays the same (?)

As far as the defense I'm thinking the PR cost goes from 1 per 2 of damage to 1 per four of damage (?) with everhing else staying the same (?) Surely no one would half the full damage to the power score(?)

There's no 'exact' way to do things when you double a power, Ranger.  It's totally for a player and the GM to work out what seems fair and balanced.

Your suggestion sounds solid, or you might do something similar to what's been suggested on this thread (more of an Invulnerability Field).

Force Field, even if you're only taking 1/4 damage, can still bite you (really hard) when the attack 'pierces' and collapses the field (effectively doing double damage!).

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Ranger - Depending on the character's other powers, I would consider making it a condition that for an attack to pierce the force field, it would require a special attack (2 successful attack rolls).  That is pretty powerful against opponents who aren't stacked up the yazoo with Heightened Expertise or Accuracy bonuses.  But like I said, it depends on the total power set of the character.

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I am surprised this wasn't incorporated into V&V 2.1.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 4:52pm:
I am surprised this wasn't incorporated into V&V 2.1.

Jack and Jeff have said that they were mostly trying to just get V&V back in print (to re-establish their rights).  They actually didn't change any super powers.

That, and Jeff said (before allowing Vigil to be publically shared) that he didn't want to be held to anything he said 25 years ago.    Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010 at 12:50am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #24 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:33am:
I looked this over last night at our game session (with our player who has been running a PC with Force Field for 18+ years) and - though I at first thought this would be fantastic - I am now having second thoughts.

He's got a Strength of 33 and an Endurance of 27.  So that means, for 30 Power, he could put up an Invisible 60 . . .

Subbing in Charisma for one of the other stats doesn't do much, by the way, he's somewhere around 25 in that, too.

So this begs me to ask two questions Roll Eyes
A) Just curious if those amazing stats are from his powers or years of training or both (I assume)?
B) Assuming you use the standard rules how has he handled the power drain when used as a defense?
Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2010 at 10:55pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 11th, 2010 at 10:52pm:
Majestic wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:33am:

He's got a Strength of 33 and an Endurance of 27.  So that means, for 30 Power, he could put up an Invisible 60 . . .

So this begs me to ask two questions Roll Eyes
A) Just curious if those amazing stats are from his powers or years of training or both (I assume)?
B) Assuming you use the standard rules how has he handled the power drain when used as a defense?
Smiley

Good questions, sir!

A) He's got those from Heightened stats that he's had the whole time he's played the character.  I doubt that he's raised them much (if at all) over the years.

B) It's taxed him enough that he rarely uses FF anymore.  For awhile - many years ago - he was jokingly called "Pierce" because it happened so often to his FF! Shocked  Nowadays he's much more judicious and careful about when he uses it, as it can bite him as much as it can help him (most definitely a two-edged sword!)     Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010 at 4:09am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Okay, how about this for a new version.

Force Field: Replace the Force Screen portion of the Force Field power with an Invulnerability Screen; 2 points of protection for each power point spent, maximum protection = Ex2. Size of the screen is as per the standard Force Field rules. Once generated the character must spend 1 point of Power per turn to maintain it. The field ceases to exist if it is reduced to zero by damage in a single turn, and must then be reformed.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2024 at 2:12am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
So the Power is spent regardless of whether it's used or not?

Let me see if I'm getting it right.  For one action a turn (more and more I'm thinking this is too much of a cost, btw), I can put 10 Power into a field and then I get Invulnerability = 20 for that turn?

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
If anyone uses this or a variation in actual play, let us know how it goes. I'm always wary of changing anything as I have experienced many power-monger players whose changes seem reasonable at first but then in practice turn into atrocities and monstrosities.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 29th, 2013 at 6:02pm:
So the Power is spent regardless of whether it's used or not?

Let me see if I'm getting it right.  For one action a turn (more and more I'm thinking this is too much of a cost, btw), I can put 10 Power into a field and then I get Invulnerability = 20 for that turn?

You spend 1 action and 10 Power to create an initial 20 point field, and spend 1 point of Power per turn to maintain it, but you don't have to give up an action to keep it up, as it's already formed. If the field is destroyed, you pay Power and another action to recreate it again.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2013 at 12:31am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 12:18am
Print Post  
If any of you guys try this, please let me know how it works for you.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #31 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I did a slight edit to clarify a few things.

YIM  
IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #32 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Question about this: It's an invulnerability screen that blocks the damage.  But do you still get the '0' on the combat matrix?

How does it work if the forcefield is pierced? 

Since Invulnerabilty is going to be whittled down through the round, won't the forcefield constantly be collapsing?

Has anyone play tested this?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #33 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 30th, 2013 at 8:36am:
you don't have to give up an action to keep it up

Maybe pay in movement inches to maintain it....

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
How's this more powerful that Invulnerability with a 0 power cost... always on?

I get it can be used at range/protect others/pummel attacks, but this sounds balanced.  I'll have to try it, but sounds reasonable.

Matt wrote on Oct 29th, 2013 at 6:32pm:
I have experienced many power-monger players whose changes seem reasonable at first but then in practice turn into atrocities and monstrosities.

I'm with you brother.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>