Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How the West Was Weird! (Read 17539 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

How the West Was Weird!
Aug 14th, 2010 at 12:01am
Print Post  
  Red O'Grady was only 14 when he was conscripted by the Union Army.  Silas "Dakoda" Wyld joined of his own violition.   Things went horribly wrong  for the both of them during the Battle of Shiloh.  Red was captured by Confederates, while Dakoda was seperated from his unit.  He wandered and was captured by Indians.  He later gained their friendship and learned to like living with them.  Unfortunatly,  foraging  Confederates killed them off, and took Dakoda prisioner.
   Rotting in a POW camp, they were both shown their death certificates.   They were marched to the gallows, when the news of Lee's surrender saved them.
   Waiting in the camp,  Col. Paddock freed them and reassigned them to his fort.    After a week of military life,  the Col. told O'Grady and Wyld that they were assigned to be bodyguards of a Mr. Opaque on a mission to Sante Fe.   They road out with the effete Mr. Opaque by stagecoach, and boarded the train at Akron.
   One day into the trek, the train was overrun by the Heffer Gang.   Red and Dakoda were stunned to see a fellow traveller, and Englishmen calling himself Mr. Lime stand up and attack.   While no slouches with a gun,  Wyld couldn't help but be amazed at the gunnfighting skills of Mr. Lime.    Dispatching nine of the twelve Heffer Gang members, Wyld and O'Grady collected the reward.   Mr. Lime was no where to be seen.
   Making it to Sante Fe,   Red and Dakoda were saying goodbye to Mr. Opaque.  He informed them that he still needed protection as he was going to continue his journey into Chiuahuahua, Mexico.   They telegraphed Col. Paddock who ordered them on.    Pausing at a local saloon,   Wyld noticed that Mr. Opaque, for some unknown reason, was afraid of four gentlemen playing cards.    The four were odd, but richly dressed men.   One was dressed in all white, one in all gray, one in all black, and the last in purples, blues and was wearing red and green spectacles.
    The following moring, Wyld bribed the saloon keeper and found out that the four men had no weapons, were very polite and paid in many different types of currency and gold coins.    Wyld had never seen the odd currency before.    the saloon keeper also showed him the book that the man in white signed when he stayed the previous night.  His name was Joseph Athanasius Kircher    Leaving on horseback for Mexico, Wyld taught Red how to ride, while Red taught Wyld how to dodge.   All went well until hours into Mexico when Red noticed they were being followed.   Two natives were spotted with rifles.   Mr. Opaque called to them in an unknown language, and they responded with friendly gestures.   They took the group to their villiage, and fed and sheltered the group.
    The following morning  the Indians took the group to some Aztec, or Toltec ruins where El Papaguayo used as a hideout.   Mr. Opaque explained that El Papaguayo was a Mestizo that fancied himself a pirate.  He dressed in colorful clothes that earned him the knickname "the Parrot".
    When they got to the ruins,  Mr. Opaque gave El Papaguayo a satchel of gold, and he directed him to a stair way in some broken, ruin of a temple.    They went to the bottom when they found a glowing metallic rod.   The rod gave off every color in the rainbow.   While looking at it,  Wyld pulled his gun on Mr. Opaque, and demanded answers.    While this exchange was happening, Red noticed the wall was opening and out came a strangly clad man with a bowl over his head.   The bowl was filled with dirty water and what apeared to be eels.
    Red freaked out and slashed at this man with his Bowie knives.   Wyld shot twice, hitting Mr. Opaque, once in the neck, and the other in the shoulder.    The man in the strange silver metallic suit hissed and stretched in an odd shape, and Wyld and Red panicked and ran up the stairs.  When they got up, El Papayguao ordered his Indians to open fire.   Wyld, while running down the stairs, fired at El Papayguao, hitting him three times in the head.   Red evaded by diving down.   
   Wyld ran while reloading his gun.  The man took off his helmet revealing itself to be a monster with a squid for a head.   One of it's four tentacles hit Wlyd in the neck, wounding him.    Wyld reached out for the glowing rod,  and burnt his hand on it.  The pain renderered him uncouncious.
   Red came down the stair and found the creature feeding on Mr. Opaque's brains.   Red opend fire, and killed the creature.   
   Red heard gunshots from upstairs, and grabbed Wyld and carried him up the stairs.  He saw Mr. Lime pointing a pistol at him.  Mr. Lime demanded the key to Mr. Opaque's lock box.   Red didn't know what to do, so he moved out of Mr. Lime's way.  Lime then kicked over the altar, and pushed the lock box over the rod and closed it.  He carried the box over his shoulder and gave Red a silver coin.
   The coin had Queen Victoria on one side, and the symbol for M13 on the other.  He said to go to the English Embassy in New York, and they would take care of everything.
    Red treated Wyld until he regained concousousness.   Red and Dakoda made their way to New York where they collected their rewards for the Heffer Gang, and cashed in Mr. Opaque's gold.     They were given papers discharging them from the army, with honors, and Wyld had two custom pistols built.
   Red wondered about what Mr. Lime said about  reading the Kama Sutra.He went to a library and found a copy.  On the back was a silver nitrate image of its author, a man Red recognised to be Mr. Lime.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:58am by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: I've got a gun, and I am gonna use it!
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Silas "Dakota' Wylde is glad to be alive and even gladder that Mr Opaque and Papagauyo are both dead by his hand, intemperate and deceptive murdering bastards the both of em. He is very dismayed that the glowing magic rod was taken. Such onerous power should not be in the hands of man never mind corrupt and power-mad white men.
He takes some comfort that the closest thing he has to a friend, Red, is still alive and they have both made a small fortune.
Dakota takes $2500 of his hard earned dollars to someone who owes him a favor, a Mr Eliphalet Remington. The 70 year old veteran gunsmith had been living quietly in Ilion NY , not far from his gun factory and was surprised to see Dakota.
"Still alive Silas..that's probably the greatest accomplishment you'll ever know" sneered the old inventor.
Silas eyed the old man with contempt and not so veiled hatred...
"Don't talk to me of accomplishments when word is your vaunted factory is gunna be pushin out typewriters yew old bastard..!"
Before Remington could voice a flustered reply Silas had moved to stand over him, catching him in his shadow like a fly in a web....
"..But..." his voice held a calm steady threat "...I'm not here to relive old times and bad memories by arguing with you Remington..I've come with a commission." He punctuated his statement with the heavy thump of a bag of dollars and coin.
Remington hefted the bag with greedy skill and eyed Dakota Wylde.. "Just phrase your proposition and vacate my premises until an agreed upon date of delivery Silas"
Silas spoke quickly and frankly..
"I want a  modified Remington 1858, two of em, black steel, both with an Obsidian-Cobalt site and custom molded handgrips of Hematite and Silver. Silver to be embossed in the exact  image of this mandala (Silas dropped an image of a Native American Mandala adorned with raven feathers with an image of a crow in the center) for the left hand and a ship sailing under a moonlit sky for the right. Both are to take 44 caliber ammunition and utilize cylinder removal loading. I also want a custom leather Pistol and Rifle rigging and as many spare cylinders and as much ammunition as you can make it hold. Further custom specifications of the rigging to be discussed once the pistols are completed. Each Pistol is to be stamped with my symbol."
Silas spat tobacco on the old man's rug as his green eyes smoked with verdant rage.
"Yew got all that yew old demon.."
Remington glanced once at an old picture on his wall before replying...
"One month Silas and all pay in advance"
Silas turned to track Remington's gaze. He smoldered as he saw the picture.
"Two weeks and you get half now and the rest upon completion to my satisfaction"
"Damn your black heart to Hell Silas!"
Silas' boots echoed with rhythmic discord as he walked out.
"My heart's damned right here and now..." he muttered to no one in particular "..has been since you killed her yew old bastard"
Remington crushed the dollar bills and gold coins between his fingers as his wet eyes stared at a picture of a girl with wine dark hair and a sapphire gaze.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
It was fun to do an old west adventure, granted there was some sci fi thrown in for good measure.   Just more proof positive that the V&V system can be adapted to any setting.   I planned this as  a one shot, but  Oni and Stormdance seemed to have a good time, so I bet there will be  a sequal or two in the future.
and one last thing, " Shut up, Red."

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
It was fun to do an old west adventure, granted there was some sci fi thrown in for good measure.   Just more proof positive that the V&V system can be adapted to any setting.   I planned this as  a one shot, but  Oni and Stormdance seemed to have a good time, so I bet there will be  a sequal or two in the future.
and one last thing, " Shut up, Red."

OK. Fine!! I admit it. I'm Red. The same guy who played the part of The Evil Oni and psychotic Dark Warrior is now playing the part of Red O'Grady. Complete with cruel Stepfather and all. Sheesh!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: How the West Was Weird!
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Silas "Dakoda" Wyld recieved a telegram from Mary Brightstar.  She was one of the women from the tribe of Sequaniq Indians that befriended him.  She pleaded for him to come out and help her grandfather, Cheif White Eagle Feather. 
    Her tribe was attacked and 12 people were killed and nine more wounded.  They don't know who did it, but the attacks were quick, violent and deadly.  Of the 12 killed, 10 were gnawed and four were taken.
     White Eagle Feather called for a warparty to find and destroy whomever did this horrible act.

Thinking that more guns might be handy,  Wyld telegraphed Red O'Grady.  The kid did talk alot, but he was good to have at your back in a fight.    The telegraph reached Red in downtown Manhattan, in a hotel above the bar that he invested it.   The Five Corners Pub would be the place where Red thought he  would launch an empire.   Big dreams from that small red head.

Red met Dakoda at the Oklamhoma City Station.   Dakoda had two horses ready.  Red taked and Dakoda secretly put two bullets in his own ears to block the buzzing.

Two days of riding brought them to a covered wagon.  The first thing they noticed was that there were no horses.   Checking the wagon out brought them face to face with horror!
   They found five bodies!  All were slaughtered savagly.  Red wanted to vomit, while Dakoda felt the closest thing to a real emotion since Shiloh.   It looked like a Memonite family was immigrating North when they were attacked.   Nothing was stolen, as far as they could tell.  While searching for clues, they heard a Reminton reapeating rifle being cocked.
   Cole Pershing, late of the recently decomishioned Texas Rangers, was tracking the bastards that killed six men from his unit.   The tracks led them straight to this wagon, and straight to the two men who looked to be robbing it!
    Red put his hands up, while Dakoda ducked and drew his own pistols.   Red, in his usual fashion, talked a tornado and defused the situation.  Cole realised that these men were on the same mission as him.  To find out who in Perdition could do such detestable things to their fellow humans.
    After giving the poor pilgrims a proper Christian burial,  Red, Dakoda, and Cole road East to the Sequaniq settlement.   That night while cooking beans on an open fire, Cole spotted a wolf.   The wolf's eyes gleamed with an evil red fire, and he drew his revolvers and opened fire.   He was sure he hit the wolf, but it still jumped at him, mouth a snappin'.    Cole found himself under the shanks of a gray silver maneater!
   Dakoda drew his custom six shooters with lighting speed!   He blased the lobo full on, and the beast turned and snarled at him. It attacked him, pulling the gun from his hand, and then slashing his chest with his paw.  Cole smashed it in the ribs with his Bowie knife, wounding it.  Red blased the thing from point blank range killing it, he thought.
    Looking out for more animals, it was Cole who noticed that the wolf was gone and in its place was a small child.  It was a girl, bleeding out and sobbing.  The wounds on the girl matched up with the wounds on the wolf.    The three men were mighty mixed up in the head.   Red walked up and shot the girl in the head, putting her out of her misery.   The other two tried not to comment on the evening's adventure.
    Riding onwards to the settlement,  they found three sleeping prospectors.   This would be normal, but they were sound asleep at 4 in the PM!    Walking up slowely,  Cole heard the whimperings of one of the men.   He was shivering even though he was roasted from the day's heat.   The man was dying.  His guts were torn up.   His two friends were already dead.   The man couldn't speak, but he handed Cole a silver sherrif's badge, and whisper'ed, "Here, you will need this..."  He then went on to meet his maker.

They searched the men for anything that could help ther quest.  They found a letter in one of the dead men's pockets.   It was a letter from his wife about how she loved him, along with a page from a book.  The page looked like an excerpt from a school book, and it was about Skinchangers!    
    It said to kill a Skinchanger,  you needed to use the one thing that could harm them, silver!
   Dakoda took the dead men's guns and found them to be loaded with silver bullets!   The three took the bullets from the prospectors.  Cole insisted they bury these men.  Dakoda agreed, if only to prevent them from changing into more monsters.  Red nearly wet his pants at that thought.
   They made it to the Indian Village  the following day.   Mary Brightstar was estactic to see her friend and quickly redressed his wounds an bathed him.  She confirmed that it was skinchangers that attacked them.   She feared more than ever for her grandfather as he left four days ago and hasn't come back.
    The three men restocked and gathred more silver bullets.  They went off in the direction of White Eagle Feather.   Cole Pershing found some tracks of what looked to be like a mix of horses, men and dogs.   They figured they were on the right path.
     In three days they made it to some small hills that looked peppered with caves.   Dakoda recognised White Eagle Feather's horse and saw a limp, wounded Indian Chief on it's back.   He found White Eagle Feather to be weak from a lack of blood.  He says his posse was attacked at night by skinchangers and they took most of his men.   His men swatted his horse to carry the old man away from danger.  This was the only thing that saved his life.   They drew their guns and went to the caves.   Cole went into to a cave and in the darkness stumbled over a body.  He and Dakoda dragged it out and Dakoda confirmed it as Running Stag,  his rival for Mary Brightstar's affections. 
    Red noticed a small female child, naked and filthy, walking out from another cave.  Disgusted by the unholiness of this all, Cole opened fire, wounding the child.   It reacted by transforming into a half wolf, half human.   Dakoda and Red both drew their guns and all three blasted it with silver bullets.    The skinchanger died under the noonday sun.
    They decided to smoke out the remaning skinchangers, if any, and piled some brush in the cave enterances.  They used some gun power and ignited it, starting up a fire.    This forced three more wolfs to come out attacking.  One jumped at Red, and Dakoda fired at it.   Cole blasted one going after him, and Red three a knife at the one going after his friend Dakoda.   
   An already wounded Dakoda went down from the attack.  Red and Cole fought the werewolves to their deaths.   They changed to humans when they expired.   They were two girls and a boy.     Cole commented on how they all looked like siblings, like a wolf pack.   Red said that if that was  true, he would hate to reckon with their folks.

They took White Eagle Feather back to his people and the trio went their seperate ways.    Red went and told the tale, and everyoe figured him for a liar.
    Cole went back to Texas to farm, but he knew farming was not in his heart.

Dakoda, well, he figured if killing was going to be his buisness, he just might need a bigger gun.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:41am
Print Post  

This is how I picture Dakoda.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:45am
Print Post  

And here is Red O'Grady

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:53am
Print Post  

This is my mental image of Cole Pershing

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:45am:

And here is Red O'Grady

I hate you.......

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  

OK,  this is how I really picture Red.   This  Brad Dourif from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Now that's much better. Of course he needs Red Hair.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:23pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
and younger, as Red is only 15, going on 16 in a few months.

Some of other pictures of him, he had redder hair, but  this one is closest to what I have in my mind.

Of course, these are your characters so you can agree or disagree.   This is just me saying what I think.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I put his age up to 18 on his sheet so I will have to edit. I gave more time between the first and second adventure. It's a good look for him up until the point you slaughter him, or CENSORED DUE TO SPOILERS* does.

* edit-When did I tell you about that? Loose Lipped John
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:34pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
You announced it to the group several sessions ago, not just me. You were doing a little foreshadowing of the story. Now since the edit no one knows what the Hell I am talking about and I will look crazier than ever. Great. Just when I was getting better........ Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 4:15pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I did?  Man I am shot. Shocked

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
If any of the group remembers then they will figure out the missing section. See it just goes to prove what I said all along. I'm Not Crazy!! Isn't it Great!!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:25pm:
I put his age up to 18 on his sheet so I will have to edit. I gave more time between the first and second adventure. 

I fucked up.  I forgot that  Red and Dakota went their seperate ways for a year.    That was when he invested in the bar.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Start of the next session is Early Feburary, 1867.

Things of note:  in 1866
Feb 4,  Mary Baker Eddy "cured"  her injuries by opening a bible.

Feb 13, Jesse James took part in his 1st bank holdup. At least a dozen former Southern guerrilla soldiers, including Frank James and Cole Younger, held up the Clay County Savings Association in Liberty, Missouri, of $15,000. Jesse James was recovering from wounds suffered as a Confederate guerrilla and probably wasn’t able to help brother Frank and Cole, but the Liberty bank job is considered the James-Younger Gang’s first robbery. Another outlaw legend, Charles "Black Bart" Boles baffled Wells Fargo detectives during an eight year stint of 27 stagecoach robberies.

Mar 27, President Andrew Johnson vetoed the civil rights bill, which later became the 14th amendment.

Apr 1, US Congress rejected presidential veto and gave all equal rights.

Apr 9, A Civil Rights Bill passed over Pres Andrew Johnson's veto to secure for former slaves all the rights of citizenship intended by the 13th Amendment. The president was empowered to use the Army to enforce the law. This formed the basis for the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

May 3, The first submarine in the Americas, a 39-foot vessel designed in the 1860s by German immigrant Karl Flach, sank in the Bay of Valparaiso off the coast of Chile. The crew, two Chileans, two Frenchmen and seven Germans, including Flach and his 15-year-old son, all died.

May 11, Confederate President Jefferson Davis became a free man after spending two years in prison for his role in the American Civil War.

May 16, US Congress authorized the minting of the first five-cent piece, also known as the "Shield nickel." The Shield nickel was quite effective in replacing the half dime, as its base metal composition discouraged hoarding and caused it to circulate very widely.

May 16, Charles Elmer Hires invented root beer.

Jul, The Sioux war on the Powder river commenced. When it commenced General St. George Cook, in command at Omaha, forbade within the limits of his command the sale of arms and ammunition to Indians.

Aug 20, President Andrew Johnson formally declared the Civil War over, even though the fighting had stopped months earlier. After the Civil War Congress voted to give freed slaves 40 acres and a mule but Pres. Johnson killed the plan with a veto.

Sep 6, Frederick Douglass became the 1st US black delegate to a national convention.

Sep 12, The first burlesque show opened in New York City (NYC). The show was a four act performance called "The Black Crow", running for 475 performances and made a reported $1.3 million for its producers. (  Red O'Grady was one of the financers!)

Oct 6, The Reno brothers—Frank, John, Simeon and William—committed the country’s first train robbery near Seymore, In., netting $10,000.

Oct 30, Jesse James gang robbed a bank in Lexington, Missouri, of $2000.

Dec 20-21, The Lakota Sioux Indians called this night "The moon when the Deer shed their horns." A bright full moon occurred due to a confluence of 3 celestial events.

Dec 21, Indians led by Red Cloud and Crazy Horse killed Captain William J. Fetterman and 79 other men who had ventured out from Fort Phil Kearny to cut wood. U.S. Army Captain William J. Fetterman once boasted, "Give me 80 men and I'll march through the whole Sioux nation!" When Lakota warriors under the overall leadership of Chief Red Cloud gathered around Fort Phil Kearny (in what is now Wyoming), Fetterman got command of his 80 men. Disobeying the orders of his commander, Colonel Henry B Carrington, not to proceed beyond the Lodge Trail Ridge, Fetterman pursued a band of retreating Indians--and rode right into a waiting trap, allegedly laid by the Ogallala warrior Crazy Horse. Fetterman, his executive officer and 78 troopers were wiped out.

Dec, 24 The Ku Klux Klan is generally acknowledged to have started in Pulaski, Tenn.

Oliver F. Winchester, a Connecticut shirt maker, began making Winchester rifles in New Haven, spearheading the development of rifles for multiple shots.

Jasper Daniel (Jack Daniel) started distilling whiskey in Lynchburg, Tenn.

Colonel John O'Neill of the Fenian Brotherhood--formerly of the U.S. cavalry--led a force of Irish-Americans against this British-ruled Canada. A year after America's Civil War ended, scores of Irish Americans who had once fought for the Union or the Confederacy joined forces against a new enemy.

In Sweden Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, a safe and manageable form of nitroglycerin. A pacifist by nature, Nobel hoped that the destructive power of his invention would bring an end to wars.

When the US government tried to force the Sioux back to Fort Laramie, the Indians responded with attacks that culminated in Red Cloud’s War of this period. Red Cloud’s War of 1866-‘68 was waged in opposition to the development by the U.S. government of a trail through Wyoming and Montana to the Montana gold camps. The two-year war was waged between the Lakota Sioux, led by Ogallala chief Red Cloud, and the U.S. Army. On December 21, 1866, the Sioux won a major victory, wiping out the entire command of 80 men under Capt. William J. Fetterman. The war ended with the signing of the Laramie Treaty, which included the closure of the Bozeman Trail and U.S. abandonment of three forts.

During the Indian Wars, the black Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th Cavalry represented 20% of Army personnel involved.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
And noteworthy events in 1867

Jan 8, Legislation gave suffrage to DC blacks, despite Pres. Johnson's veto.

Jan 8, Japan’s Emperor Osahito died. The Tokugawa Shogunate gave up power as a revolutionary movement overthrew Shogun Iyesada. Rebels introduced a representative gov-ernment under the name of Emperor Maiji.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Weird Scenes inside the Gold Mine
Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
After leaving Cole Pershing’s ranch, Red O’Grady, and Dakota Wyld travelled on horseback, trying to make it to New York before the next snow storm.  As luck would have it, they didn’t make it far before white began to fall.   They made a tent, and heated up some coffee, when Dakota heard something disturbing the horses.
    Grabbing his guns, he saw horse thieves mounting his beloved Maelstrom and he opened fire.   
    Wyld hit his target, and Red ran out to calm the scared horses.   Red was nearly trampled as the horses ran off into the snow, into the dark.
       At sunrise, they followed the tracks made by the fleeing horses into a small town.  The sign said “Welcome to Salvation Falls” with the word falls crossed off and rewritten in red to read “Fails.”   
     They followed the road and soon realized that the town was abandoned.   Nothing, no horses, no dogs, no cats, no people!
    They spied upon a farm house.  They were pretty sure no one was inside, and they went in.   They found the house still stocked with dried foods and bottled spirits.   They took turns sleeping and eating. 
     Red overslept in the master bedroom so Dakota woke him with a pistol shot.  They ate breakfast and searched the house for anything that would tell them why the town was abandoned.    It was Red who saw the old couple coming down the street armed with shot guns.   They looked and saw they were still dressed in their sleeping clothes under their heavy winter clothes.   Dakota cursed himself for a fool for shooting his gun!
    The couple called them out, and Red walked out while Dakota covered him with his six shooters.   The couple asked what they were doing and Red explained that they were looking for their missing horses.   The old man said that if their horses found their way to this town, than they are lost.  And he begged them to leave.   This of course piqued Red’s curiosity and he asked what was going on.   The old couple told them the devil himself have moved to town, and that they should scatter to the winds before he finds out that they are here.    Red heard a cat’s meow, but he didn’t see a cat…
     Dakota came out and asked why they didn’t leave.    The old man looked sad and said, “I can’t leave.  I am already damned!”      He then said to go as soon as they could,   eat, and rest but go quickly.
     Red and Dakota went back to the farmhouse and did use the place to rest up.   They were not sure what their next step was when   they saw another man walking up to the farm house.      They drew their guns, but they saw that the man was unarmed.
     The man was muttering and underdressed in the cold February morning.     He was shivering and showing signs of frostbite.    They let him in, and he was muttering “strange eons.  Strange eons…”
     He said he was waiting for Red O’Grady and his companion.   This freaked them out, because as far as they knew, no one knew they were in this town.    He said he was given a green disc by a priest in white.  He said the man’s name was Fr. Athanasius Kircher.  He said he was told to give this to them for it would help them with their task. Red snatched up the greenish metal disc and they offered the man some coffee.
    The man asked what this odd sensation was on his fingers.   Wyld saw that his hands were ready to snap off.     He drank the hot coffee and burnt himself.    They began to wonder what was wrong with him.    He talked irrationally and they called him Eon Strange.   
   They told him to stay at the farm house, and they went off to see what the hell was going on in Salvation Fails.

They went closer to the center of town when they were stopped by that same couple and a third man.   The third man, Jebidiah Coleridge, screamed at them to leave.  The old couple screamed at Coleridge, telling him to calm down.    Jebidiah was walking oddly, and using a piece of cut lumber as a cane.
     Coleridge explained that a damned Negro came to town and took over the gold mine.   He said he was black as coal and taller than the tallest man.  He said that he knew in his heart that nothing good could come out of this newcomer.   He soon fired all the miners, who moved away.  Then, at night, the animals started disappearing.    Red was again distracted by that damn cat’s meow.   
     Red dropped to the grown, and looked under the porch for this elusive cat.  He saw that Coleridge had cloven hooves!
    Red jumped up screaming and pulled off Coleridge’s coat.  Wyld pulled out his guns and everyone was a second away from shooting.
    Elizabeth Cooper, the old woman, screamed to stop, as she started crying and she took off her scarf.   Somehow, inserted into her neck, was the face of a cat.   This was the meowing Red kept hearing.
     Understandably frightened, Wyld demanded answers.   
      Albert Cooper explained that the Black Man’s devils come at night and bring people to the barn.  It is there that his minion, Dr. Anton Essex, performs unspeakable surgical practices.    Essex is under orders to create a fusion of man and beast that can withstand the Black Man’s demands for more and more ore.     All the towns’ livestock has been altered into beast men that work the mines until they die.   This is why they can not leave, for they have been under the mad doctor’s knife!   What normal town would have them now?   They again beg Wyld and O’Grady to flee before the Buffalo Soldiers find them.

Of course, they ask about the Buffalo Soldiers.    Coleridge says that they ain’t any Negro cowboys, but actual buffalos altered to walk on two feet.  They stand ten feet tall and can knock down a house wall with their three fingered fists.     Wyld, then gets infuriated.  He wonders if  this devil doctor has his hands on his Maelstrom.

They go in the direction of the mines.   They come upon the barn where the Doctor does his satanic l surgery and they hear inhuman screams.    Wyld sneaks up to the door and sees  the doctor sawing the muscles in  Maelstrom’s front legs.   The horse is screaming in pain.     Wyld opens fire.    He kills the doctor before he can even turn around.   He reloads and puts his poor horse out his misery.

Red then hears the sound of stomping.  He sees   three ten foot tall horned two legged buffalos  turning the corner.  He screams for Dakota, and he opens fire.   The monstrosities take a chest full of lead and swing and miss.   Red and Dakota finally dispatch the vile things when they  hear distant talking.

They see, from the mouth  of the mine,  a tall man with jet black skin.  His eyes are like galaxies.   They realize immediately, this is no man from Africa, but a man from hell.
    Dakota fires silver bullets at the man hitting him.   The man bleeds a greasy yellow fluid.  He calls himself the “Crawling Chaos” and says they are lucky he is in this aspect, for he may, as of yet,  show them mercy.
      Dakota fires again, while Red takes out the green disc.  It is glowing like a small full moon.  He runs up and smashes the Black Man full in the chest.   The man screams and rips apart into black, oily smoke.  When the smoke is gone, all that is left of the Black Man is his coat.     They proceed to the mine, when the sound of buzzing rushes them.   From the depths of the mine,  three winged horrors crawl out.  They take to the skies and try to grab the two adventures with lobster like pinchers.    Two are blasted to pieces while the third flies over and grabs  Eon Strange, who followed the two.
      Red  and Dakota reload  and the creature flies off with the odd fellow.   The last thing they hear  is him saying, “ I voted for Abraham Lincoln.”

The two find over  ton of gold ore in a cart.   They set a ring of TNT in the mine and blow the rest to hell.      They figure its best before more of them devil animal men come out  to see what happened to their master.

Dakota hauls the gold ore to the root cellar of the farm house.   Red won’t have anything to do with the gold, as he thinks its fools gold.    They promise the Coopers and Coleridge that they won’t tell anyone about this town, and they take down the sign and smash it on their way out.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I have to say this was a really enjoyable adventure. It was interesting to meet Eon Strange for the second time with two different characters and that being 150 years apart. I'll will make sense of that when I update Dick Dante. These types of characters really make the whole concept of skills and training more important and enjoyable.

I know. "Shut up Red".

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Red Meat, and raw bacon
Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 12:54am
Print Post  
After resting up on Cole Pershing's farm,   Red goes to New York.  He got a telegram from Turkey,  a fellow red headed step child, that everyone thinks that Red killed Mary, the Pretty Hot Corn Girl.
   Dakoda and Cole go with their friend to investigate.   They arrive at the Five Corners Pub and talk to Solomon Gump,  Red's buisness partner.
   Gump tells Red that Mary married Robert Coleman,  the kingpin of the local crime scene.   He still made her work the streets, and the poor girl was terrifed that once he got bored of her, she would  disapear like his other wives.
   Well she did, but  word on the street is that Red killed her in a fit of jealousy for running off with Colemen.
     Red was spotted in town by a hotel manager, and some of Colemen's enforcers tried to take Red out.  Fast shooting by Dakota and Cole solved that dilema.
     Taking refuge in a church, Red slept it off while Cole and Dakoda sort answers in a local house of ill repute.
      They found out that most people don't hink Red killed Mary, but Colemen can't look weak so he has to take out Red anyway.    Colemen thinks she probably skipped town.

Cole and Red have a talk with Mr. Colmen and he agrees ( at gunpoint) to give Red's friends four days to prove that Red didn't kill the local darling.

They all pound the pavement and  finally come to the same conclusion that maybe Solomen knows more than he he says.   While interviewing Gump,   he calls in his ward, Hamhock, a hulking man child and tells  him that they ate up all his bacon.  This sends  Hamhock in a frenzy. 
     Dakoda shoots him down in  hail of bullets and Red gets Solomen to confess.

Solomon had Hamhock kill Mary so he could pin it on Red and then have Coleman take out Red.  This would leave Solomon as the sole partner in Red's successful broadway venture.      Red slices Solomon's throat.   They  find  Mary's dress in a coal bin in Hamhock's room.   They show this to Mr. Colemen who accepts this as proof of Red's innocence.   Colemen, impressed by the trio's fighting skills offer them a place in his organisation.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
It's been a year since we last visited with our three favorite Weird West Characters. During that time they had not left Manhattan and all resided at the Five Corners Saloon. Red running the Joint. Cole Pershing running a side game of cards. Dakota just running up a never to be repaid Tab at the bar.

It was during this period that Cole received the telegram from Mr. Freeman out at Cole's Texas Ranch. Mr. Freeman was a former slave now working as the Foreman on Coles  ranch. It seems there are a band of marauders shooting up the ranch hands, causing generalized mayhem and murder. These marauders dressed up as Ghosts in white sheets and attacked at night. This seemed to put Cole in a rather foul mood for multiple reasons.

It was decided that an immediate trip was in order. This of course needed to be financed and prepared. Red was more than happy to take care of that as he owed pretty much everything he had to his two friends. The next step was to convince Dakota to leave the Bar. This was done with some coaxing and promises of Mayhem and Whiskey. I would not say that Dakota is ever Happy but in this at least I will say he was Satisfied.

The three boarded a train that would take them on a journey to St Louis. From there they would meet with a wagon train and continue the Journey South West. During their train ride Cole was plainly miserable. Not the usual Cole Pershing everyone knows an loves. Dakota slept or at least it appeared so, sometimes you just can't tell with him.

Red on the other hand wouldn't shut up. This of course is normal for him. He spent most of the time yapping and walking around until he noticed a Gentlemen with a sketch book. The book contained a picture of Red. The picture I must say was awful but being Red and needing every friend and contact he could make Red began a conversation with the Gentlemen.

His name was Leonard Moreau and not only was he a really bad Artist but it seemed he was also an accomplished writer, part time Healer, part time Scientist. When Red announced he would like to see more of his art Cole yelled out that no one better draw a Damn picture of him. It was becoming apparent that Coles mood was getting worse by the minute. Of course this now got Dakotas attention. He too did not want any pictures of himself and started pondering what would happen if he just shot everyone in sight.

It was about that time along came Baron Kristoff Von Heinrich! The man sold snake oil and various solvents and you just couldn't help but like him. Not Dakota of course, but at least everyone else on the train car. Von Heinrich had a sliver tongue to go along with his multicolored Blazer. He was selling up a storm and Red also decided to get in on the act. If he could sell it here then Red could copy it and sell more of it. He bought three bottles as well as the last bottle of "Mystery Juice". Hey you never know.

To be continued.....

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Eventually the group came to the end of this leg of the journey at least. The train arrived in St Louis and the five of the passengers joined a wagon train headed southeast. The Crenshaw Brothers were experienced Traders and Trackers who would be leading the wagon train. The party consisted of other individuals as well. The Jones family of Husband, Wife and three Daughters. The Kensington Family as well as The Eckles. Along with the several families were also Reverend White and Baron Kristoff Von Heinrich. White and Von Heinrich could not have been any more opposing personalities.

Red, Cole and Dakota hired out quite an expensive Coach to ride in as well as separate riding and pack horses. They were more than willing to include their new friend Leonard Moreau in their group as he appeared to have some interesting and useful traits.

The days were incredibly boring and most of the talking if not all of it was spent between the two Irishman, Red and the coach driver. They were quite annoying. The nights however were a bit louder though still somewhat subdued due to constant threat to the wagon train. Each of them contributed in their own ways. The women would cook while the men would stand watch or help set up camp each night. Von Heinrich did neither but instead would tell stories of his amazing journeys and adventures prior to joining the wagon train.

On the third night of their Journey he appeared. The Crenshaw brothers were taking their turn at Guard duty when a hulking man came out of the night. Luckily it appeared the brothers new of him and allowed him to join them around the fire that night. His name was Mr. Ripple and he was a gold miner the size of a Grizzly Bear, almost as Hairy too. They joked about his mining skills and the way they talked one would think he had never found an ounce of gold. This however was far from the truth. Instead the Man found Gold to be next to useless. He tossed bags of it around to the individuals and families as if it were worthless. Cole  and Dakota both declined their bags but Red was more than happy to take their share so as not to waste it of course. It seemed Cole and Dakota were much more interested in Mr. Ripple himself and what he really may be looking for at his mine.

During the late hours of the evening Cole, Dakota, Red, Moreau and Ripple sat around a campfire by themselves. It was time for some more information. They told outrageous but true tales of their past. Run ins with Were Wolves, Aliens, Demons and Monsters. Mr Ripple was interested and in no way surprised. This in itself was even more surprising. MR. Ripple shared with the four of them some of his adventures. He spoke out of time and in some cases he spoke to them like he knew them. At one point he even thanked Red for something he had not yet done and also told him to make sure that Moreau did not strangle his son. Somewhat odd since Moreau did not as of yet have any children.

Dakota found the man interesting and also noted scars on his arms and legs. The scars were in rows with lines as if he were using his body to count something. Mr Ripple shared with them that while he was a Gold miner it was not what he was truly looking for. he was looking for something much, much more rare. A gold like mineral called Oricalch. Something he had spent his life looking for. Something he valued more than anything. In all his years of searching he had so far found enough to fill a Thimble. It appeared that even this small amount was more valuable then all the Gold he had found so far to date.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
  When the group of Weird West Heroes awoke the next morning they went straight for Mr. Ripples' camfire to begin asking him more questions. Alas he was gone.

One comment from the night before stuck out in their minds however. At some point in the evening Leonard Moreau had asked Mr. Ripple how he knew so much about all of them.

His simply chuckled and said " The Mona Lisa told me!"

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:24pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
  Several hours after the Wagon Train moved out someone spied a cloud of dust in the distance. As the wagons stopped and circled it could be seen that they were about to be attacked by Indians!!!

The men all prepared by setting themselves up on top of the circled wagons. Several of them, including Dakota and Cole pulled out their rifles. Those with true Marksman abilities took the first shots while the Indians were still far off but gaining on their horses.

Dakota and Cole took several out as well as did the Crenshaw Brothers. Red and Moreau waited until they got closer but also joined in the ruckus. Eventually though there were just too many and the Indians were able to get inside the hastily made defenses.

Though the wagoneers were able to fend off the attack it was not without cost. Professor Kristoff Von Heinrich had been mortally wounded but was still alive. In an effort to save him Cole convinced Red to try and use some of that "Mystery Juice" Red had purchased from Von Heinrich. In there experience things that could not be real had suddenly been real and perhaps there was a chance that this Tonic could actually help. Red reluctantly agreed. Not because he didn't believe in it. It was because he was Greedy.

Before they had the chance to try it out Von Heinrich let out his life's true story. His real name was Hyriam Rosenblatt, not Von Henrich. Kristoff Von Heinrich was real and Rosenblatt had met him some time back. It was he who had really created the "Mystery Juice" and Rosenblatt was taking that and other formula to a place known as "The Century House". The real Von Heinrich must also have been somewhat of an Odd Duck since he had claimed to be a Wizard and also his own Great Great Grandfather. That made the chances of the "Mystery Juice" seem even less likely to work.

At this point however they were ready to try anything to save Rosenblatt. Moreau tilted Rosenblatts head back and gave him a swallow. Rosenblatt grabbed the vial and downed as much as he could. In seconds he stood up! It appeared to be a Miracle. Then Rosenblatt began to lurch forward. His skin began to change color and even texture. His arms began to thin out and lengthen and his feet just stopped moving. Within a few moments Hyriam Rosenblatt turned into a Tree!

Red immediately responded with "Told you" and just about everyone in the camp turned as shouted at him " Shut up Red!"

Just about everyone said that, except for one Crenshaw Brother. He was busy looking out at all the dead Indians. He couldn't stop shaking.

"Now He's going to come. Him that Eats the Dead" he said.

" Now The Buzzards gonna come for us all"

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 3:24pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
  Crenshaw went on with his story. "Some say He made a deal with the Devil! Others say he is the Devil. Nobody rightly knows but when he comes he Eats The Dead and I don't want to be around for that!"

But it was too late. He approached slowly from out on the prairie. He didn't stop at any of the dead Indian bodies, he just walked around them. It took slow painful minutes but eventually he reached the circle of wagons. The Buzzard was here. Everyone cowered in fear of him. Everyone except Dakota. The Buzzard was draped in a Poncho and when Dakota cleared his pistols so did the Buzzard, but Dakota was faster. The Buzzards pistols were large and each was carved with strange symbols the likes of which no one could read. Dakota took aim at both guns instead of the Buzzard himself and they were shot right out of The Buzzards hands, destroyed. Strange,  how He didn't have much of a reaction. Interesting was all he had to say. Even stranger was that he just turned and left after that.

Once all the craziness was done with for at least a while, the lady folk asked Reverend White for a real God Fearing Sermon. The shabby Reverend reluctantly agreed.

His sermon started off all right, just like any other but things slowly seemed to change. His words started to change and not everything that came out of his mouth sounded like english. Eventually none of it did. Smoke stared to appear near most of the people and the reverends words become stranger and then more intense. Suddenly there were others in the camp

Too bad all the Others were Dead.

Each living body seemed to have a Living Dead one with them. Some had more. Dakota got himslef a Johnny Reb that he had killed during the War. Cole struggled with his conscience and also his Dead Wife and Child. Leonard Moreau with his Father. Tough way for Leonard to find out his Pappy was Dead, he was alive when he left. Red of course saw Mary.

Dakota put a few shots in the Reb and then started firing at Reverend White. It was obvious he was somehow summoning the Revenants with his foul words he read from an even fouler book.

Cole did nothing. He tried to talk to them, say he was sorry but the words stuck in his throat. What could he do but wait for his own end. At least they would be together again.

Leonard was in a similair position but a little rougher. His Father was yelling and beating the tar out of him. Leonard did all he could to defend but what could he do to the Dead?

Red took one look at Mary and ran. He could never talk to her much in Life so this was way too much for him.

The Reverend changed some of his cadence and looked at Dakota. From out of the Sky came bolts of Lightning!! They burned Dakota horribly but not before he got his shots in. Reverend White, or should we now call him Reverend Wight, was shot up but still standing.

Cole did his best to help Moreau and Red ran to his carriage where he pulled out an oil lamp. He ran towards Reverend Wight who was standing in front of the campfire and dowsed the Reverend and the campfire. Reverend Wight went up in flames but not before calling down a little lightning on Red.

He stopped chanting and Red grabbed the evil book and threw it into the flames. He noticed it wasn't really a Bible. It said "The Cult de Ghouls as Translated by Adriaan Vos"

The book didn't really burn but a moment after the Reverend keeled over the Dead began to vanish. Moreau and Dakota were both in bad shape. Cole seemed fine and Red was a bit singed. Joshua Jones was dead as were the entire Kensignton family.

The rest of the Jones family was unharmed. They weren't really his daughters you see, they were all his wives. Mormons. Even after all that the ladies were still eyeballing Cole Pershing. After all, what's a young widow or four to do without a Husband.

Later that night as Red was attempting to take on Guard Duty he was awoken, yes he fell asleep, by a sound. As he opened his eyes right there in front of him was a nine foot tall Skunk Ape!! He had heard the stories and for all he knew they could have been true or not. Now he knew. The Skunk Ape was covered in hair but he also wore a necklace of what looked like Gold and Silver. Not everything is as it appears. The Creature pointed to the Silver on his Necklace and also at the Silverish Coin Red kept around his neck. It seemed this was a Friendly Monster for once.

The creature pointed at the Moon and made other gestures. He put his hands to his head to imitate sleeping and then shook his finger at Red. Red not being very good at this game took it to mean it was OK for him to go to sleep while the Creature stood guarding the camp.

150 years later in a Tavern in Bulgaria it was noted that Neither Red nor Einer Einricson was very good at Pantomime.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 3:30pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
  Ok, so I made up the part about a Tavern in Bulgaria but you never know with all this time travelling going on.

John feel free to fix my mistakes or what I missed.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 3:15pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:02pm:
  When the group of Weird West Heroes awoke the next morning they went straight for Mr. Ripples' camfire to begin asking him more questions. Alas he was gone.

One comment from the night before stuck out in their minds however. At some point in the evening Leonard Moreau had asked Mr. Ripple how he knew so much about all of them.

His simply chuckled and said " The Mona Lisa told me!"

And who exactly was this Well Traveled Man known as Mr. Ripple, I wonder???

IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #29 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 10:38am
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Aug 14th, 2010 at 6:06am:
"I want a  modified Remington 1858, two of em, black steel, both with an Obsidian-Cobalt site and custom molded handgrips of Hematite and Silver. Silver to be embossed in the exact  image of this mandala (Silas dropped an image of a Native American Mandala adorned with raven feathers with an image of a crow in the center) for the left hand and a ship sailing under a moonlit sky for the right. Both are to take 44 caliber ammunition and utilize cylinder removal loading. I also want a custom leather Pistol and Rifle rigging and as many spare cylinders and as much ammunition as you can make it hold. Further custom specifications of the rigging to be discussed once the pistols are completed. Each Pistol is to be stamped with my symbol."

"I want a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Smiley

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 12:33am
Print Post  
With  Dakota Wyld laid up from electrical burns and Lenard Moureau  out trying peyote for "scientific purposes"  Cole Pershing and Red O'Grady spent a week investing in Pershing's ranch.

During this time,  Mr. Freedman explained that all the other ranch hands were driven off by the Gray Ghost and his Pale Riders.   They would come at night and steel the cattle and threaten the workers.

While this was happening, the mayor of Dusty Gulch, Sterling Rutlidge the third, and his group of cronies came a calling.   He offered Pershing 500 dollars for the deed to his ranch.  Pershing told him exactly where to put that cash.  Rutlidge then offered 400 dollars and said he wouldn't be so generous in the future.    Pershing answered with a sock to his face.   Everyone drew guns and it got quite tense.

The slimy mayor defused the situation and everyone went home.    Red told  Cole that he noticed that  Sterling had marks on his wrists like he was wearing a watch that was too tight for too long.

The next few days were filled with honest labor, which is why Red hated them.     More ranch hands were hired,  and supplies bought.      Pershing decided to get some dogs to guard the property.   They headed off to town when they were ambushed by Indians.   Well they looked like Indians for a second.  What they really were were white men in red face.    Cole shot two, and Red shot the other too, along with his and Cole's horse.   Cole was able to save his but, poor Mabel,  she had to be put down.

They took the one who didn't bleed out to the barn. They threatened him until he gave up the name of Rutlidge.   He said he employed the Gray Ghost and his posse of  Pale Riders, and together they scared people into selling their lands cheap.   They let him go and gave him a horse and his buddies corpses.

Then they prepared for siege.

They put trip wire around the ranch,  soaked hay in oil and out bales blocking the paths.  And they waited.

That night they saw four torches.   There were five men all together.  Four in white pointy hoods and white sheets,  one in a gray confederate uniform.  All were masked.

They shot flaming arrows at the Pershing Ranch, and Cole, Mr. Freedman and  Red fired back.   They took out the Pale Riders rather easily, but the Gray Ghost was unharmed.  They weren't sure, but it looked like the bullets passed right through him.

The Gray Ghost  jumped THROUGH his horse and floated in the air.   More bullets passed through him.  Red lit up some of the bales of hay.   The Gray Ghost  laughed, "The fires of Hell couldn't stop me,  you think this petty bonfire will?"

Red through an oil lantern at him, and Cole shot it, covering the Ghost with flaming oil.   The Ghost screamed, dropped his guns and fled.   Red ran out, got on his horse and chased him down.   Cole climbed down his house and ran after him.  They saw the Ghost hit the ground and disappear into the dark earth. 

They "circled the wagons".    Cole found the Gray Ghost's six shooters and went to pick them up.   The Ghost emerged from the ground, horribly burnt and screaming.    The Ghost tried to take the guns from Cole, but his hands passed through them.    Both seemed surprised by this.    Red tossed another lantern at the Ghost, and  Cole, again, shot it.   The phantom fiend hit the ground and they couldn't find him again.   They rode to town at first light, with the corpses of the town's sheriff and deputies.    Cole announced himself  the new sheriff and said a new election was needed.  He said he knew that Rutlidge was the Gray Ghost and they went to his house.  It was covered in burnt, smelly ash, and was  mess.   

Red found a secret lab with  doo dads and what nots all about.  Also it had spare Gray Ghost uniforms.  Red checked out the place but wished Lenny were here.   All he could get out of the books was that this was some sort of Tillinghast Resonator that Rutlidge wore to turn into a ghost.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:24am
Print Post  
After working on the repairs to Pershing’s ranch, or making it look like he was working, Red O’Grady realized that Lenny had been missing for two weeks.  After talking to Cole about this,   they left the still recovering Dakota to oversee the rest of the repairs and went off into town to see about Lenny’s whereabouts.

They found out that he had gone into Indian land to do some peyote with the natives.    Fearing the worst, they set out to inquire about their friend.    They stopped for some goods to trade with and made it to the Indian Camp before night.

Things went pretty smooth and Little Cloud offered to be their scout.   They headed off following the trail Lenny left.  O’Grady folded the clothes that Lenny left.  He was surprised about how much he was actually worrying about that fancy lad from New Orleans.

They found a curious thing.   Right in the middle of the high desert, they found a grassy meadow that looked like a well groomed lawn.    They also heard some odd noises. 

They got off their horses and crept up to the glen, and saw a naked, beautiful young woman kissing a clearly happy, naked Lenny Moreau.   

When the woman saw the intruders, she smiled with a smile so beautiful, the two men and one kid had to blush.    Lenny was covered in what looked like lipstick kiss marks all over his body.    Cole raised his rifle and asked what in tarnation she was.  He asked her if she was the Prairie Witch Lenny was always going on about.  She cooed, “I could be, if you want me to be.”

Cole opened fire.   Red was stunned.  Why did Cole just shoot at his own dear Mary?

The girl fell to the ground and bleed a colorless fluid.   For a second Cole thought that he saw some kind of bug lady, but the sun must have gotten to him.

Red pulled out his trusty Bowie knife, and the woman screamed.   “You threaten me with iron?”  She looked terrifying and beautiful.    She grabbed Red’s head and Red remembered his step father beating him for touching his knives.   O’Grady dropped his knife.

Cole jumped on his horse and tried to run the little lady down.  She screamed again when the iron horse shoes touched her.    Red thought he smelt bacon sizzling.   The girl rose to her feet, no longer beautiful, but black, burnt and haggard.  She called out and three little half bug, half men came out from behind some toadstools.    They had turtle shells for shields, and thorns for knives.  One of them stabbed Red, who began to bleed.      Two of them tried to climb up Cole’s horse.   

Cole shot one of them off his horse’s leg, and it curled back up into a ball.    Red broke his knife trying to stab the one on him.

Lenny, still naked, but back in control of himself, went to his medical bag and fumbled for some ether.   
Where Red’s blood touched the ground, three smaller creatures sprang up.  They had red pointy head and creepy, vine beards.   They rushed Red.

Cole again had his horse pummel the witch.  She fell to the ground crying, “You destroyed my beauty!  You turned me into a Hag!”   She clawed at Cole, but he blocked with his rifle.

The Hag turned into a pregnant looking bug lady and implored Lenny for mercy.  “I am carrying your son, spare me.”   Lenny tried to lite the meadow ablaze, but he again fumbled.   Maybe it was the blood lose.   The kiss marks on his body turned to what looked like bug bites when the Hag dropped her glamor.

She sprouted wings and flew off, with her Goblin guard around her.  The Red Caps continued to fight Red, who was bleeding badly, causing more Redcaps to appear.

Cole fired at the Hag, hitting her.  She dropped down, but the goblins grabbed her and they got away.    
Red was starting to accept that this was his end, when his friend the Skunk Ape Grabbed him up and began to stomp on the Redcaps.

He called out and other Skunk Apes emerged.  They walked the edges of the Fairy Glen and it faded.    Cole, Lenny, Red and Little Cloud made haste back to the Indian Camp.

Lenny though this would make a great Penny Dreadful.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Two years after the last submission.  I, your faithful and humble agent has submitted the following report and hope you find it well enough to enter into the official docket. 
December 27th, 1868 two agents entered into the Black Crow Pub in the Five Corners Ward of Manhattan.   They spoke with Robert “Red” O’Grady.    O Grady accepted the proposal of said agents and would be reimbursed 100lbs sterling upon completion of his mission.      The terms of the mission are as follows.
1.      Complete discretion.  No one is to know about the mission, what it entails, or what is being done.   
2.      The delivery of the Object must be done on or before May 8th 1869 to agents in Promontory Summit, Utah Territory.
3.      No one, not even the two agents, will know of the route taken.

Red went out and called for backup.  The telegrams sent contained no information about the mission.   His friend and comrade in arms, Cole Pershing arrived in New York a week later.    The two bought rail tickets and went off to Utah.
  While dozing, two assumed circus men boarded the train at Pittsburg, with no bags.  They did, however, have a large leather covered cage.  The manifest said it was an Orangutan.

Cole was asleep and Red was fading out, when the hand, ghost like, reached through his seat and into the bag.   Red grabbed the bag and woke Cole.  Cole saw a face halfway thought the back of the seat and kicked at it.   
Red slashed at one of the circus men, and Cole fired, but knowing it was a ghost, aimed his shot so that it would go out the window if it passed through the attacker.
Neither attack made a connection. 

Red swung the bag at the man, and while the bag passed through the being, the Object inside struck the person, causing him to fall unconscious.    The second man seemed to halt his momentum and the train continued traveling so that he passed backwards into the cargo areas of the train.
Cole and Red ran to catch this man, but not before Red paid the stevedore’s 100 dollars to turn this man over to the local police.

When Cole kicked open the door, he saw the man trying to open the Orangutan’s cage.  It was dark, so Cole didn’t risk a shot.  He pistol whipped the man, sending him to the ground in a bloody plop.   Red lit a lantern.

An orangutan it was not.    It burst out of the hide it was wearing. It was some sort of grey toad like man.   It screamed and the roar terrified Red who dropped his bag containing the object and ran.  Cole fired at the creature who hardly seemed dazed.
  Cole ran after his friend.    When the two met up they both realized that neither had the bag and went back.

The creature was gone, it smashed through the train wall and leapt into a cornfield.    Red tipped the conductor a 100 dollars and the train stopped.    They then bought horses from fellow travelers, paying a heavy price, but time was important.
The pushed the animals to their limits.  They followed the trails through the cornfields, the corn was not just broken through, but somehow, changed…  They found Red’s bag, his book, and a few of his bottles (his snake oil, and his Mystery Juice) but not the object.

They soon after found the creature loping away.   The horses would not go near it. 

They fired at it, and the creature looked unfazed.  It turned to them, and raised the object in the air and cut a hole in the air.   Something else started to come out.  Red, motivated by greed, as he was not going to lose 1 million pounds sterling, jumped at the creature, knife in hand, and slashed.   

He made a connection that he was sure, the knife curved and twisted and the creature roared.   Cole, fired with his rifle.  He was a dead eye shot, but looking at the creature made his insides twist.  He was not sure if he hit it or not, but the rip in the air was getting bigger, and something was trying to come through.

Red opened his Mystery Juice and tossed the whole bottle into the maw of the monster.    What happened next surprised everyone.

Cole Jumped to safety, but poor Red couldn’t.   The creature erupted as a giant mushroom grew from its mouth and Red was stuck on the cap.    Cole estimates that the thing grew upwards of a 1000 feet.

Not knowing what to do, Cole rode off in search of one of those hot air balloons his friend Lenny was talking about all the time.   

Cole came back two days later, empty handed.   However, the mushroom was gone and Red was lying in the middle of a circle created by the mushroom holding the Object.    He was nearly dead from exposure.     Cole, knowing poor Red needed help, put tied him to his horse.  Cole mounted the other horse and rode off to seek some medical help.    After all May 8th was far off.   They had time.

We have received your submission and it is approved and will be added to the dockets.   We will draft an addendum to the journal as needed.  Good work, the Lodge needs men such as yourself.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2015 at 2:18pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #33 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I love the Weird West.

One Million pounds sterling right????

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
1.The object  is an oricalcum railroad spike.  It as been endowed with an abduration of great power.

2. The spike will be used to unite the Transcontinental Railroad.

3.  When the spike unites the two parts the abjuration will seal What Lies Beneath forever protecting us from its hunger.  It is assumed that this is the same being that fed on those poor souls at Roanoke.

4. The circus men where not men at all.   Bureau agents recovered the men, who succumbed to torture rather easily.  They were blue skinned man like creatures who live beneath the Americas.  They covered themselves in white grease paint to look normal. 

They have amazing mental powers, but it tires them out fast.

The Grey Beast must be an Outsider of some sort.   Red and Cole had no chance.  Lucky they used Chaos Fluid.   Red is turning out to be one crafy recruit.

Samples of the mutated corn and the gathered mushrooms prove to be interesting.  Further studies have already been requested.

The Blue Undermen while mentally impressive, seem to be sickly and weak when confronted.  Its best to challenge them in great numbers.  Let us hope their ability to employ outsiders in their campaign to stop us is depleted.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2015 at 2:34pm by John »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>