Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A new V&V forum on Yahoo (Read 17868 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

A new V&V forum on Yahoo
Sep 2nd, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
For those of you interested, there's an all new V&V Yahoo group at - http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vnvrpg/?yguid=246997789 So feel free to swing by, register, and post. I plan to post a few goodies to the files section over the next couple of weeks.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: A new V&V forum on Yahoo
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I'm in the process of adding files, pics, and links to the new Yahoo site. Let me know if there's anything you guys want to see.

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Why the new yahoo group?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:12am:
Why the new yahoo group?

I'm guessing, and don't quote me on this, that some people didn't feel comfortable posting in the old V&V group, with Jeff & Jack becoming the group's owners and mods. As far as I'm concerned, the more exposure V&V gets, the better. I don't care if it's MHG, FGU, or a guy dressed in a tutu.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:35am
Print Post  
It's Ballerina Man!

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

I like V&V but I wouldn't
say I love it

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:35am:
It's Ballerina Man!

Ballerina Man's powers
1. Heightened Agility
2. Heightened Charisma  Smiley

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Don't forget

Body Power - splits

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:07am
Print Post  
The reason for the new yahoo group is exactly on the mark from what DSumner said.
Stop reading right here if you really don't care and if you want to dismiss what's going on around you.

---------------

This is long, but I'm sorry, I felt it had to be written. I'm tired of the subterfuge and confusion being sewn by loyalties being given blindly and reinforced because of sympathies not deserved.

The old yahoo group now has the limitation of only promoting V&V if it comes from Monkey House due to the inclusion of Jeff and Jack in its ownership. People actually on that forum have expressed their discomfort with that, and some posts that are 'controversial' don't even make it to the mailing list. Very Gestappo moderating actions going on there...

And, like some opinions here and there that may be acceptable. I find it not so much.

I GOT BANNED FOR ANNOUNCING FGU PRODUCTS THERE, and even though at the time I posted them, Jeff and Jack were only moderators... Imaginos was the owner still, I communicated with the moderators... the person acknowleged that they knew this was crossing the line and they reinstated me. I was banned again immediately: AGAIN BY JEFF...

I raised alarms about it in a classy and just fashion; instead of being allowed to return and the forum remaining a neutral place of integrity, Jeff and Jack became owners, the remaining moderators became complicit in MHG's ownership and blocking FGU advertising  and now here we are today.
It's cool, I'm trying to forgive that notion, it's hard when people don't take your word and look inside their own conscious to know you're right. It's even worse when you sense they do, but do nothing.
Sound like a conspiracy? Sound like someone was threatened?

That forum was supposed to be open to anyone talking about V&V. PERIOD.
The new forum is just that.
It also does not recognize MHG's claims of administration rights to the V&V trademark based solely on their say so and filing for a TM this year. The difference is that if you want to talk about 2.1 rules there: you can.
You want to talk about The Crisis at Crusaders Citadel, again, you can.... Oil pressure, whatever... go for it.
It's a Yahoo site. FGU has a website for releases and announcements in an official capacity.

FGU, regardless whether anyone here is happy about the situation of how much FGU supported/didn't support V&V, has consistently used and administered the trademark by legal agreement for nearly 33 years. The statute of limitations for any disagreement disappeared long ago.
The property is NOT creator-owned. It never has been. I don't expect anyone here other than the writers and contributors to V&V in an official capacity through FGU to understand.
I don't see anyone else from that group, which includes myself, Bill Willingham, Dr. Dedman, Stefan Jones, Troy Christensen, Ken Cliffe, Pat Zircher, The Wieck Brothers, etc... standing up and crying foul against FGU for any reason all these years. And FGU hasn't changed their address ~ ever. For the MHG guys, this is undeniably personal and has turned this potentially beautiful revival which was started
-by fans-
-through FGU-
into an ugly quagmire of he said she said...

I'm tired of fan boys using what ever convenient arguments to support the supposed legality of what MHG is doing. They're not doing this out of any sense of loyalty to you... what a crock. And legal??? Brent Rose, their LAWYER, can't even seem to tell guys who are dying to believe him the truth...

Where was that loyalty 5 years ago when that competing product that borrowed heavily on V&V called Living Legends came out? I personally thought it was crap. And apparently by its sales and support, so did the bulk of the market.

----

There was a time and place < to clarify: This year just before the sudden appearance of MHG >where Jeff was offered to return in whatever capacity he wanted and he turned it down. Who cares the why, the fact is that was his legal opportunity to participate in the revival and he turned it down to spite FGU and rushed out to get his lawyer, who without all the facts advised his clients that it was okay to reneg on their contract with FGU.

You didn't hear anything about MHG until the middle of June this year...
Just six weeks earlier, Jeff was on the forums crying foul, preaching his hate and since no one spoke up to back up the people calling him out on shenanigans, people believed him...
And then POOF!!!!
Hey everyone!
We got our rights back!!!
We're getting the band back together!!!

WHAT A JOKE.

The fact that you all have played into his hands by acknowledging their TM administration with the permissions in the header is funny.
Where is your letter to FGU asking to use their trademark?
Where was the court order that showed you that the TM has been granted to Monkey House Games????
A link???
ANYTHING????

Like I have said before: When MHG shows that they indeed are the legal holders of trademark administration AND Scott tells me it's true (.... He has no reason to lie to me, in real life he's a teacher of history and economics and not a millionaire... a lot to lose for him family and career-wise for breaking the law), I like everyone else will play by the rules that MHG sets.

Until then, we need places like the new Yahoo group where people can be fans like we used to be, instead of under the boot of MHG, who right now are simply usurpers of the game you love regardless their hands in originating the material.

I feel bad for guys like Dave Woodrum, who finally got to have something published because he was at the right place at the right time and really did it right to support the game. He has one of those contracts from FGU.
I'll tell him right now, his contract looks like mine.
And ours looks like Jeff and Jack's.
FGU didn't break their agreement.
Integrity is supposed to mean something.

In closing, I know this is going to draw ire from some.
I wish it wouldn't.
I wish that none of this had happened.
I wish it were simple for everyone to see.
But some people don't really want to see it.

The truth may not be what you want to see, but that doesn't make it less the truth.
Gut check.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 4:51pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Legal obfuscations aside, Undecided Huh it's my personal opinion that most of the non-Dee/Herman/Willingham products put out for V&V have been mediocre at best. I would never had thought to ever look for anything from FGU as it's been so long they let their fields lie barren.

I heard somewhere that Jeff was "putting the band back together" as you say, and that set me off into looking up info on V&V again. I don't know anything about being a fanboy but I do know what I consider to be a good product worth spending my money on and about half of the FGU products just don't begin to interest me.

Which is to say at least some do  Roll Eyes  Cool

On an ending note. I haven't been here all that long AK but in that short period you seem to have displayed much more anger and hostility than anyone posting from a MHG perspective. If you toned it down a bit and left the forum for discussing the game, I'd be more likely to be interested in FGU products.

Just the thoughts of one old timer and reinvigorated consumer Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:00pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:57pm:
I heard somewhere that Jeff was "putting the band back together" as you say, and that set me off into looking up info on V&V again. I don't know anything about being a fanboy but I do know what I consider to be a good product worth spending my money on and about half of the FGU products just don't begin to interest me. Which is to say at least some do    

The new stuff from FGU looks good, IMV. I can't really judge MHG yet because Oil Pressure was a "strawberry shortcake" silli-athon and Hostile Takeover was recycled from Living Legends, not a new product.

I read how the previous yahoo group was now MHG only, so a new group makes sense. That's one reason I asked when I first joined if it was okay to talk about non-MHG products here (because I know of posts being deleted on the original yahoo board).

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I ... am not sure of any of this  discussion.  But it seems to me that AK only wishes that the FACTS and the REAL FACTS be made known to all those who have a question and wish to discuss why things are being done the way they are.   Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:12pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
This forum has no official stance.  Its an outgrowth of my shitty memory.  I needed a place to keep the campaign notes organised, and a forum was the best way to do that so that my players could all have access. 
   Everyone joining and posting is a bonus.   But as owner of this place, I take, nor wish to take, no position on  what is going on.

To tell the truth,  I am glad Jeff posted here, as I think its pretty cool, but if Scott Bizar or Bill Willingham posted here, they would also be welcome.  As would Stan Lee or anyone for that matter. 

So argue about the legal ramifcations  that we are at best third parties too, or just post some cool stats, it doesn't matter to me.   We are all adults, we can ignore posts and posters we don't like, and we can comment on things we like.

So I don't delete any posts, edit ( except with permission to fix typos) or do any heavy mod action.  So post away,   I tend not to read the FGU vs MHG posts anyway.   I am just not interested.   If FGU "Wins" or MHG "WINS"  I still have to get up a 5 am tomorrow and go to work.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I agree with AK.

That said, I appreciate John's efforts!

And the new Yahoo! group is an open discussion group.

mw

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:19pm:
If FGU "Wins" or MHG "WINS"  I still have to get up a 5 am tomorrow and go to work.

You have to get up at 5 AM. Now that's truly unjust!

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
To tell the truth,  I am glad Jeff posted here, as I think its pretty cool, but if Scott Bizar or Bill Willingham posted here, they would also be welcome.  As would Stan Lee or anyone for that matter.  

Of course now Jeff just lurks and doesn't ask anybodies direct questions.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Discuss this:

http://appext9.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.ENTITY_INFORMATION?p_namei...

The legal entity Fantasy Games Unlimited Inc of the state of New York has been DEAD since, September 25, 1991. What "Disolved by Proclamation" means is that the state of New York shut it down for failure to pay its taxes.

Allen

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:21pm:
The legal entity Fantasy Games Unlimited Inc of the state of New York has been DEAD since, September 25, 1991. What "Disolved by Proclamation" means is that the state of New York shut it down for failure to pay its taxes.

But it's a company now, right?

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Ultra Malcolm wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:27pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:21pm:

But it's a company now, right?

can you find anything that indicates that it was reincorporated? and could it even BE reincorporated if it owed taxes?

And what happens to that supposed contract that was signed with a company that, according to this, no longer exists?

I have no clue..I am not a lawyer Smiley I just found this info and am passing it along.

Allen
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:31pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:30pm:
can you find anything that indicates that it was reincorporated? and could it even BE reincorporated if it owed taxes?And what happens to that supposed contract that was signed with a company that, according to this, no longer exists?I have no clue..I am not a lawyerI just found this info and am passing it along.Allen

I don't know. It's been 19 years, so they could have paid any taxes they owed. They sell products online, so they're in some kind of money-making business. If they weren't reincorporated, I'd bet Jeff Dee would have brought it up by now in one of his earlier posts. That's my guess.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:47pm by Ultra Malcolm »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Cool!

Wasn't 1991 several years after they moved to Arizona?

mw

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Since John has posted his own thoughts (he is the forum owner after all) and I've been asked personally about things, I feel that I need to post my own standing regarding this, as much as I hate to do this...

I really wish that my name could have been left out of this whole matter. That is my stance.
I have nothing but respect for everyone involved in the history of V&V, always has... but this extends to not only Bizar and FGU but also two certain gentlemen that have recently started a gaming company called Monkey House Games. I was a fan before I wrote for V&V, and I would also like to point out that I was also a pre-established game designer with several projects already under my belt. The reason that I am saying this is that I want to point out the fact that I didn't design the stuff that I have made for V&V to get published and get my foot in the game design door, I did so because it gave me the chance to work on a game that has been true and dear to me for years.

When I first started working on V&V again, I was honestly quite naive about the whole issue that was going on prior.... I assumed that Jeff had went on to bigger and better things and that Living Legends was simply a latter approach to super hero gaming through the use of a point based system. I didn't realize the controversy behind the scenes and honestly didn't do my homework. Prior to coming on board, I was mostly cranking out products in the interest of fantasy gaming... particularly system generic or SRD 3.0/3.5 related. My work on V&V was a fresh turn for me for 3 major reasons... 1. After working on fantasy for several years I was getting a bit burnt out at the time (I'm starting to get the feel again for it though... well, a little...  Wink ), 2. I hated 4th edition D&D... and I'm not afraid to openly say that in public (Pathfinder baby!!!), and 3. Most importantly, V&V was a game that I cut my role playing teeth with... yes, D&D/AD&D came first (but then, isn't that the way with most people), but V&V was the strong second game that I started playing in this vein... and it became a quite competitor to D&D as far as my attention span was concerned. Getting the chance to work on V&V was a dream come true.

When I became aware (or more aware than I would have otherwise preferred to have been) about the controversies of ownership claim regarding V&V I tried my best to remain positive towards the V&V game itself and not take sides with either aspect... and why should I have? FGU gave me the chance to work on the game of my dreams and MHG was the brainchild of my idols... the heroic game designers that made V&V a reality in the first place.... I had no beef with anyone, and so I chose to voice my words carefully.
And thus I should have done... there are people on both sides of this argument that feel very passionate about V&V and quite a few that are in the middle that are like me and are just glad that the game has been revived. The absolute last thing that I would ever, ever want to do is to say anything that would alienate anyone from the game. My primary objective was and will always be to promote the very continued existence of V&V, whether the rights are owned by FGU, MHG, or both parties for that matter.

As such, I wish that AK had not brought my name into this issue. Alabaster, I recognize that you mean no harm to me, but I would have preferred that you didn't do that. It has been depressing enough for me to think that my efforts to help revive the game might have somehow contributed to the fight over V&V, no matter how small and insignificant. I've never wanted anything but the best for this game, and it has been hard for me to remain focused on V&V related design interests while all the conflict has continued. The very last thing that I want is to see my name become another log to be tossed on the battle fires.

With that said, I'll say little more. I'm doing my best to remain neutral while the rights claim is being hashed out, but putting me in the center of the conflict, even by vague brief mention, doesn't help.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Ultra Malcolm wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:36pm:
If they weren't reincorporated, I'd bet Jeff Dee would have brought it up by now in one of his earlier posts.

Our lawyer advised us not to publicly discuss the details of our case.

That doesn't mean our case doesn't have merit, of course: only that we never explained ourselves.

But we wouldn't have re-released V&V if we'd had any serious doubts about our right to do so.

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
When will the case be resolved so we can understand the details? No offense, Jeff Dee, but after reading some of the ways you've responded to people over the years I'm not automatically inclined to take your side in a he said/he said discussion. Many of your early posts here smacked of being a troll. It was very disheartening because I used to really look up to you until I saw how obnoxious you had been when responding to people. Did your lawyer give you any coaching in that arena too?

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Ultra Malcolm wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:22pm:
When will the case be resolved so we can understand the details? No offense, Jeff Dee, but after reading some of the ways you've responded to people over the years I'm not automatically inclined to take your side in a he said/he said discussion. Many of your early posts here smacked of being a troll. It was very disheartening because I used to really look up to you until I saw how obnoxious you had been when responding to people. Did your lawyer give you any coaching in that arena too?

If you lost something you loved because someone wouldn't let you have it and at that time thought you'd never get it back, don't you think you might get a bit hacked off about it once in a while? Jeff is a human being like all of us. I have said plenty of things on message boards that I later wish I had not. It happens.

Allen

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Here is FGU's application for the V&V trademark, posted AFTER Monkey House Games applied.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85088045

look familiar? it should. The description of the trademark logo is cribbed directly from MHG's application, word for word.

Note also it is not FGU Inc. applying for the trademark; that entity does not exist. It is Scott Bizar DBA Fantasy Games Unlimited. Why would he do that if the original FGU entity -the one that the contract was signed under - still existed?

Allen

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:31pm:
If you lost something you loved because someone wouldn't let you have it and at that time thought you'd never get it back, don't you think you might get a bit hacked off about it once in a while? Jeff is a human being like all of us. I have said plenty of things on message boards that I later wish I had not. It happens.Allen

I don't know who lost what. Until the details of the dispute are disclosed. But if I created a game in 1979, and fans wanted to more about those original rules (instead of the 2010 rules), I'd respond that I was happy they were still interested in the 1.0 version that I created--not question why they were interested in the "crusty" game. That's the kind of snarkiness that gets me. It sounds opportunistic. Like--don't go see my old movies, see only my new movies. Jeff Dee's art is fine. But he's hurt the feelings of a lot of people I know online. I don't have any ill will against him, but I don't automatically take his side.

IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

say I love it

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:39pm:
Here is FGU's application for the V&V trademark, posted AFTER Monkey House Games applied.http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85088045look familiar? it should. The description of the trademark logo is cribbed directly from MHG's application, word for word.Note also it is not FGU Inc. applying for the trademark; that entity does not exist. It is Scott Bizar DBA Fantasy Games Unlimited. Why would he do that if the original FGU entity -the one that the contract was signed under - still existed?Allen

This isn't news Allen. That's been revealed months ago. Get with the program! In both cases, though, the trademark office hasn't made up its mind about ownership.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
As much, again, as I really do not want to put my voice into the heat of things, I have to agree with Allen on his last post. I wish no one disrespect or any disrespect to their freedom of voice or opinions, but I have to agree that "yes, sometimes you say things that are less than PR friendly because you've given up something you are dear true and it does suck". Granted, yes, I also understand that such is the nature of business, but it still sucks.
I can relate to some of my own past work in the table top, paper and dice gaming business. There was one past project that I worked on, that I dreamed up the idea for, that I did a significant portion of the writing on, only to have the main core rule set replaced by another design (it was OGL so the publisher could easily do that) and then to add the worst insult to injury of all, the publisher change the title name of the book because a third party entity that the publisher hired to do the fancy layout and final edit review didn't like the name that I gave the book that I mostly wrote myself and thought his (which I didn't care for personally... and still don't to this day) sounded much better... and the publisher went with his advice, this third party paid person, over mine.
Did I deal with it and go on, yes, but does it suck to this day... yes, it does. I've even had family and fans ask me why the heck I decided to call the book what it is called and I said "I didn't", and then had to explain that a paid third party assigned to do a totally different job got to rename my book for me.

So, I understand personally the pain that Jeff goes through and how it may have colorized his posts in the past. Is that taking sides, no, I don't see it as such. But it is an empathy that as a fellow game designer I truly understand... and I'm not going to deny that.

(and no, out of professional courtesy I will never reveal which book it was, or even which publisher it was for, so don't ask)

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Ultra Malcolm wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:42pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:31pm:
If you lost something you loved because someone wouldn't let you have it and at that time thought you'd never get it back, don't you think you might get a bit hacked off about it once in a while? Jeff is a human being like all of us. I have said plenty of things on message boards that I later wish I had not. It happens.Allen

I don't know who lost what. Until the details of the dispute are disclosed. But if I created a game in 1979, and fans wanted to more about those original rules (instead of the 2010 rules), I'd respond that I was happy they were still interested in the 1.0 version that I created--not question why they were interested in the "crusty" game. That's the kind of snarkiness that gets me. It sounds opportunistic. Like--don't go see my old movies, see only my new movies. Jeff Dee's art is fine. But he's hurt the feelings of a lot of people I know online. I don't have any ill will against him, but I don't automatically take his side.

You know, I saw that post and my response?

he was trying to be funny.

Really, I agree with Jeff. I see no reason to play 1st edition at all other than nostalgia. 2nd edition is just a much better game. I think some people are being a wee bit oversensitive here.

As for what side you take...that's completely up to you. No skin off my nose either way Smiley

Allen
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:46pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Ultra Malcolm wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:44pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:39pm:
Here is FGU's application for the V&V trademark, posted AFTER Monkey House Games applied.http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85088045look familiar? it should. The description of the trademark logo is cribbed directly from MHG's application, word for word.Note also it is not FGU Inc. applying for the trademark; that entity does not exist. It is Scott Bizar DBA Fantasy Games Unlimited. Why would he do that if the original FGU entity -the one that the contract was signed under - still existed?Allen

This isn't news Allen. That's been revealed months ago. Get with the program! In both cases, though, the trademark office hasn't made up its mind about ownership.

My point was that he stole the words that MHG wrote verbatim rather than come up with his own AND the company that they signed the contract was was NOT the company that applied for the trademark because it CAN'T.

How exactly that relates to the continued validity of that contract is not something I can address, me not being a lawyer and all.

Allen

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #30 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Well, I can see that their are indeed some really strained feelings tied up with this... and the legalities involved with ownership and rights.  I think I'm getting a better picture of the debate.  My sympathies for both side concerned - Mr. Jeff Dee, AK, Allen... I really feel for your communal frustration over the matter and I hope it is resolved soon... but as many things in the world of Legality... seldom is everyone concerned happy with the results... just like davew mentioned in his post.

I really cannot speak to the issues ...only hope that it is resolved soon and the parties involved can find it in their hearts to move on and allow their fans to enjoy ...whatever is the final issue.. and let the matter drop without sniping at each other continually over a mater that...TRUTHFULLY is in the hands of the lawyers and court officials {not the games designers, companies involved, or writers who love V&V and only wish to write and see it published}; who... honestly don't really care one way or the other and will rule as best they can by the established {and not perfect by any stretch of the wording} laws that seek to define the matters of legal rights and ownership.

But I do agree with Davew on this matter... "The 4th Edition BETRAYAL!" by WotC is a travesty and I hope they burn for it, Pathfinder Rules!  I ALWAYS was suspicious of the OGL and WotC's usage of the OGL in a sad attempt to kill all other game systems in place of their own has backfired!   I hope they choke on this nasty corporate scheme they have used on their Magic the Gathering players by continually milking them for cash by discontinuing series after series of their collectible card game to FORCE fans to buy more!  This did not work on the RPGaming community and I get a grin every time I see someone choose to buy Pathfinder materials over their 4th Edition trash!  WotC has shot themselves in the foot over their Greed... and I hope they limp for a long time!
D&D should belong to its fans... not greedy corporate sharks!

I hope I have not offended anyone... but it is how I feel... and very strongly so about the matter.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:34pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Could you explain to me what  Pathfinder is, what OGL is and such.    The last D&D system I was remotely interested is was AD&D Second Edition.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I like 4th edition, myself. especially what I have seen of the Essentials stuff that is coming out.

But that is off-topic I suppose for this board, or at least this part of it.

I just posted info I had come across. And some questions that occured to me as a result of that information, to give people something to think about. I don't think the question of whether FGU still has the rights to publish V&V is anywhere near as clear-cut as AlabasterKnight makes it out to be. As has been said, it will likely have to be settled in court. Meanwhile, I know whose materials I prefer.

Allen

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #33 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:32pm:
Could you explain to me what  Pathfinder is, what OGL is and such.    The last D&D system I was remotely interested is was AD&D Second Edition.

Pathfinder is a gaming system published by Paizo, that expands on D&D 3.5. OGL = Open Gaming License. It basically allows 3rd parties to publish products for other games, as long as they agree to the terms set forth in the license.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Apologies to DaveW for mentioning him.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:07am:
Stop reading right here if you really don't care and if you want to dismiss what's going on around you.

Dude, you really try to belittle people who don't agree with you or want to listen to you.

The old yahoo group now has the limitation of only promoting V&V if it comes from Monkey House due to the inclusion of Jeff and Jack in its ownership. People actually on that forum have expressed their discomfort with that, and some posts that are 'controversial' don't even make it to the mailing list. Very Gestappo moderating actions going on there...

I GOT BANNED FOR ANNOUNCING FGU PRODUCTS THERE, and even though at the time I posted them, Jeff and Jack were only moderators... Imaginos was the owner still, I communicated with the moderators... the person acknowleged that they knew this was crossing the line and they reinstated me. I was banned again immediately: AGAIN BY JEFF...

I raised alarms about it in a classy and just fashion; instead of being allowed to return and the forum remaining a neutral place of integrity, Jeff and Jack became owners

This has been discussed between you and I on another forum and I believe via PM here.  Since you forgot, let me remind you.

Jeff and Jack were never moderators on the group. When they asked if they could be made moderators or owners, I went ahead and made the co-owners of the group.  So there was never a point where they were mods and not co-owners.

As I mentioned before, Jeff and Jack were the only people related to V&V who ever asked to be involved in management of the mailing list, and Jeff had been participating in the list for many years.  Again, more than any other people who were related to V&V.

I have seen a few comments regarding people being unhappy about the status of Jeff and Jack on the mailing list.  Strangely enough, I don't recall seeing any that were sent by people actively involved in the mailing list, or that weren't being posted in response to a thread you posted in a forum.

There was one person who created an account to post to the group who was being insulting and calling Jeff Dee names.  Gee, I wonder why a moderator would have deleted that.  Maybe it is because the group doesn't approve of that.  I had to drop a heavy mod-hammer on the group early this year (or late last year) because some people were calling names and getting insulting.  Sorry, not appropriate to the list.

Integrity is supposed to mean something.

In closing, I know this is going to draw ire from some.
I wish it wouldn't.
I wish that none of this had happened.
I wish it were simple for everyone to see.
But some people don't really want to see it.

The truth may not be what you want to see, but that doesn't make it less the truth.
Gut check.

I kind of smirk when I read this, and I considered the ugliness you have been posting on this and other message boards, trying to twist things to a certain viewpoint (I'll call it 'spinning it' if it makes you feel better).

I've seen several people who have said they will not buy anything from FGU.  I'm sure there are people who will not buy from MHG.  As I have said, I plan to purchase from FGU or MHG.

This is all up to the courts, and until the decision is made there, that is exactly where it belongs.  You can say you wish none of this ever happened, but from what I have seen, you are the guy that keeps dragging the horse behind the cart and beating on it every once in a while.

You have said you were not an official spokesperson for FGU, but then you talk about having seen contracts and whatnot - having specifically read the contract with Dee and Herman, seeing their signatures plus the signatures of their parents since both were minors when the contract was signed.

Are you not able to let things rest until the courts decide?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #37 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:28pm:
But I do agree with Davew on this matter... "The 4th Edition BETRAYAL!" by WotC is a travesty and I hope they burn for it, Pathfinder Rules!  I ALWAYS was suspicious of the OGL and WotC's usage of the OGL in a sad attempt to kill all other game systems in place of their own has backfired!   I hope they choke on this nasty corporate scheme they have used on their Magic the Gathering players by continually milking them for cash by discontinuing series after series of their collectible card game to FORCE fans to buy more!  This did not work on the RPGaming community and I get a grin every time I see someone choose to buy Pathfinder materials over their 4th Edition trash!  WotC has shot themselves in the foot over their Greed... and I hope they limp for a long time!
D&D should belong to its fans... not greedy corporate sharks!

I hope I have not offended anyone... but it is how I feel... and very strongly so about the matter.

I had started running D&D 4E with my group.  At first, I enjoyed it.  Then I realized I spent more time prepping for the game, and if you don't have a computer running windows, a lot of the tools to help you are stripped away.  My group didn't enjoy the way combats were playing out - nor did I.  I have heard some people can roll with it very well, so I can only assume it is another of those "it clicks for you or it doesn't" situations.

My group just started up a game with Castles & Crusades, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.  The guy running it needs to loosen up and accept what the Siege mechanic does for you, as well as realize that his story is not the focus of the game (we've talked to him about this before).  But I will say C&C feels more like 1st/2nd edition AD&D than 3rd or 4th.

And I think 3rd was where D&D went downhill.  I didn't care for the feats or the specific tracks to build a character or the cleric/ranger/thief/mage/prestige1/prestige2 setup that ends up getting built.  I just didn't care for all of that multiclassing.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #38 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Okay, not to turn this into a 3rd edition/3.5 edition/Pathfinder edition versus 4th edition fight, here is a clarification to John's question...
Back in 2000, after WOTC had purchased and owned D&D for a few years, Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition replaced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition. In an effort to bring gamers back into the fold of playing D&D, WOTC followed the copyleft theory that was made so popular with Linux... by releasing the core mechanics behind the game freely through the System Release Documents, or SRD. SRD 3.0 was the document set at that time. In addition, the OGL or Open Gaming License was created as a means of allowing 3rd party companies to make products that were directly compatible with new the D&D, much in the same nature that MHG has released their compat license with their release of V&V (note: I'm not citing this to get into a war of whether they have or do not have the right to do this, I'm just citing an example to explain the basics of the OGL to John). The concept was this... as long as you agreed to give up at least 5% of your own original work in an OGL product (though many products cited the game text as 100% OGL), you could freely use anything else that was deemed OGL in all other game compat products (you also had to cite reference at the end of the included OGL license in the back of your product). There was also the d20 license and logo which was a direct means of advertising that your product was fully compat. but it was not a need to have thing so we'll skip that discussion. The idea was instead of having an rpg market bloated with dozens and dozens of different systems that were often made purely because the designers really wanted to create products for D&D but couldn't, everyone could be working on a central theme. Granted, I'm not saying that D&D is and was the only game to play out there, fantasy included, I'm just citing the basic concept behind the whole release of 3rd edition.
Then, after a few years, WOTC announced that they had cleaned up a few things here and there and released D&D 3.5, which was more or less compat with 3.0, but had a few changes here and there. It was honestly a nightmare for us small design houses, especially as we were in the midst of major projects that were originally slated for 3.0, but most of us made the changes as needed and we went on about our business. I can say that the particular project that I was writing most of and leading up at that time was Dark Quest Games' Lost Prehistorica and the changes were pretty significant for us... particularly since the Beast monster type had been merged into Animal and dinosaurs were previously Beast types. I've got to admit that I was very much for this change, because I saw dinosaurs as animals myself and the prehistoric mammals were very tough to categorize over to Beasts from Animals, but the change resulted in a great number of modifications and stat changes never the less. I still remember sweating through the Word doc that was essentially the build table for the Lost Prehistorica book.
Then, a handful of years later, WOTC announced that they were creating a whole new D&D again, 4th edition, and this one was going to be radically different. And they were also going to re-think the manner of the open gaming issues.
The open gaming issues aside, I did not personally care for the game mechanics and dynamics of 4th edition... which, for the note of John, is the current edition of D&D to this day. It is a radical change that in many ways was a total departure for quite a few elements of D&D as we have always known... for better or for worse.
I myself, like many others, preferred the radical changes that 3.0/3.5 brought to the game... finally there were rules for craft and profession skills, the characters could actually be monstrous creatures if you wanted because monsters were built on a rule set that was similair in many ways to the ruleset of the characters. Simple npcs such as commoners, adepts, etc. were well defined. There were prestige classes that you could shift over into, etc. etc. It was a bit harder to initially learn D&D mind you, but it was really wide open. That is not to say that 4th edition isn't likewise, but it just feels so alien to me...
Many individuals, like me, became turned on to Paizo's radical move of discontinuing adventure support for the official D&D line and creating their own role playing game, Pathfinder, which was based on the System Release Document 3.5 rules, but tweaked about a bit for a few improvements. After all, there was nothing really to prevent you from not doing as such, and Pathfinder chose to do so. As far as fantasy goes, I play Pathfinder, not D&D.

But that is my own gaming preference, and does not reflect the gaming enjoyment and preferences of others.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #39 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I tend not to read the FGU vs MHG posts anyway.   I am just not interested.   If FGU "Wins" or MHG "WINS"  I still have to get up a 5 am tomorrow and go to work.

That's the exact point I was trying to make, sorta Cheesy I especially could live without the animosity over legal issues that probably won't be settled for a few years given the speed of our judicial system.

The true test that will decide who lives or dies will be who puts out a quality product the V&V community will glom onto. I imagine most of us will buy just about anything after 20 years, but give it a year maybe two and the company that can produce a steady stream of quality products will "win" in the end.

In the mean time let's all stay civil in disagreement. Please. Cool

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #40 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
In this I have to agree with the Multi-classing part of 3.0 and 3.5  At about 6th level you generally were ...cutting your own throat if you did not switch to something else as you had level after level of no real development in the character's abilities.

I have several high level characters that usually ended up with 2 core classes and 3 or more prestige classes.  not really in the spirit of what I felt should be a character's advancement.

But Pathfinder...revamped all the classes and now there is little reson to switch from your core class..at almost every level of advancement you get something interesting or neat for the core class at best there being a gap of only one level before something new or interesting is gained access to.

Yes.  I was skeptical about the feats... and such wonders of Game Designer rulings such as when one player from our group asked a game designer at one past GENCON ..why was one feat so much weaker than another feat with no other prerequisites the game designer said... Quote: "not all feats are created equal..."

What kind of Answer is that!?!?

We all called BS right off...

But I like what Pathfinder has done... they recognize that with so many feats out there does it really matter if you have a few extra?  Its not like you can EVER get them all...but they do allow you to be very special in your own way.  I can see they made a distinct attempt to level the feat power...so there were no glaringly weak feats compared to others. 

Our group really likes what they have done in their re-write of 3rd Edition and feel it has been significantly improved for ease of play in Pathfinder!

But each to his own...

So..GAME ON! Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:15am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #41 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I've looked at the Pathfinder core, and it is a beautiful book.  I've considered putting it on my trade want list (in another forum) and seeing if I could acquire it.  I was not aware that it pushed gently away from the overboard multiclassing, but that definitely sounds like a positive to me.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #42 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:18am
Print Post  
It is also why Pathfinder has, relatively speaking, few prestige classes at all.  And with the Advanced Players guide... it gives an entire chapter to alternate core class abilities give players and UNEQUALED ability to tailor their fighter, or wizard or what ever to be their own very specific type of character  if they want different core class abilities than presented in the main core rules.  If you just want to be a specific prestige-class it is for the prestige of being part of that small portion of very specific specialists and or political/religious faction with their own special abilities.

Ding!  Hehe... 'another Gaming Angel gets its wings...'

{[Curb Stomp!!!] Take that WotC!}
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:27am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:30am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:56pm:
3rd edition replaced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition. In an effort to bring gamers back into the fold of playing D&D, WOTC followed the copyleft theory that was made so popular with Linux... by releasing the core mechanics behind the game freely through the System Release Documents, or SRD. SRD 3.0 was the document set at that time.

The funny thing about the OGL and SRD are that rules systems aren't able to be copyright protected in the first place, making those two documents effectively unnecessary. You can copyright the flavor text, the fluff around a game system, but the mechanics of a game can not be protected via copyright. Essentially, anyone can copy the mechanics of any game, rename everything, and publish their new game system.

I find the idea morally reprehensible, copying someone else's hard work and putting it out as your own that is. I think WoTC should be applauded for putting out the OGL and SRD, even though they weren't truly necessary. Many RPG companies have taken to using the OGL for various products, Mongoose Publishing uses the OGL with their version of Traveller for example. MHG's compatibility lisence is very similar to the OGL in it's intent to allow third party publishers to create V&V material.

I know several people are sick and tired of the FGU vs MHG debate, frankly put, debating it here does nothing but tick people off. The courts will decide who the legal owner of the trademark is. Part of trademark ownership is protecting that trademark from misuse, I can see Jeff and Jack not allowing talk about FGU's products on the old yahoo group in this light, I have not seen FGU take any steps to protect their trademark rights in the same manner. Of course, just because I have not seen it doesn't mean they have done nothing. Truly the courts will decide the issue, I only hope they decide it soon so we can all jump on the appropriate bandwagon and get this party rolling.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #44 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 12:55am
Print Post  
I know this is off topic, but I picked up a copy of the Pathfinder core rules today for half price (it was a used copy).  Very pretty book, which I knew already.  Now to dive into it.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #45 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Again,  I stopped D&D with AD&D second edition.  I like it, too tell the truth, but I always thought that D&D was purposly never perfected.  I thought they did this on purpose so you would have to keep buying more.

Its funny, cause I always that that the "perfectness" of V&V is what doomed it.   All you needed to play was a five dollar booklet. 

And  what is a PRESTIGE class I've been reading about in all those explainations?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #46 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
A prestige class is a new character class that you have to meet requirements for as the character develops.  It typically focuses the character more in one direction at the expense of others.

For example, an arcane archer is a prestige class.  The character has to have a certain base attack bonus and be able to cast arcane spells to qualify.  As you progress in arcane archer, the character imbues non-magic arrows with magic.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #47 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Sounds like  they made D&D over complicated.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #48 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I just wanted to state that no matter who owns V&V or who writes the rules up, my characters will always kick major ass. Someone should honestly write up a gaming system based on my kick ass characters.

That is all.

Cool

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #49 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Paul-
Well, yeah, that and your kick ass animated avatar as well... what with all the blissful destruction meets curiosity of rodent.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:54pm by davew »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #50 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:48pm:
I just wanted to state that no matter who owns V&V or who writes the rules up, my characters will always kick major ass. Someone should honestly write up a gaming system based on my kick ass characters.

That is all.

Cool

They did. Its called T&T,  Tutus & Tapshoes.

IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #51 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Chello!

John, they had prestige classes in AD&D 1E: the bard, the thief-acrobat, and the hierophant druid. Smiley  There's just a lot more in 3.0/3.5. Cheesy

That's the best way to see prestige classes.

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #52 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 8:28pm:
For those of you interested, there's an all new V&V Yahoo group at - http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vnvrpg/?yguid=246997789 So feel free to swing by, register, and post. I plan to post a few goodies to the files section over the next couple of weeks. 

Hello everyone!

The group is missing these magazine articles:
01) Different World #34: DNAgents - by Jack Herman
02) Gateways #11, Nov. 1988: V&V stats for the Badger
03) Stardate Magazine, Vol. 3 Number 3: "Falling Damage in Villians and Vigilantes" by Michael R. Stotts.

Different Worlds #34 is expensive:
http://www.diffworlds.com/dw_25-36.htm

It's not here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_12?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Adifferent+wor...

Or here:
http://stores.ebay.com/LegacyMagazines/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=779594017&_sid=84814...

I think I'll have Gateways #11 en route soon.

And Stardate seems to have disappeared:
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Stardate_%28magazine%29

Stardate vol 3 iss 3 is not here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Astardate%2Cn%3...

Nor here:
http://books.shop.ebay.com/Magazine-Back-Issues-/280/i.html?_nkw=stardate&_catre...

And this is NOT the same Stardate (I asked):
http://stardate.org/

Anyone know anyone who might know someone who has any of these articles?

Thanks!

mw

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #53 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 5:00pm:

Thanks!

mw

Well, I once knew this guy....who knew this other guy, who...

[Just kidding]    Grin

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #54 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:30pm:
Display Name wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 5:00pm:

Thanks!

mw

Well, I once knew this guy....who knew this other guy, who...

[Just kidding]    Grin

Who dated this girl, that originally went out with this other guy who...

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #55 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

Cheesy movie, I know, but I couldn't resist!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #56 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
This is not really a huge announcement but for those who are interested, I dumped some of my old outtake maps on the yahoo V&V forum. Most are simply map images that I had originally planned to eventually use for something but never did... no notes attached.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #57 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:41pm:
This is not really a huge announcement but for those who are interested, I dumped some of my old outtake maps on the yahoo V&V forum. Most are simply map images that I had originally planned to eventually use for something but never did... no notes attached.

I just saw them, and was about to post a comment on it.   Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #58 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:42pm:
davew wrote on Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:41pm:

I just saw them, and was about to post a comment on it.   Cool

Well do go ahead and add your own take on it! I'm always up for comments, compliments, criticism, and secret family recipes! Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #59 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I think they're all awesome, Dave.  As usual, your work speaks for itself (in excellence).

What's the scale on #5 (the industrial/residential section of town)?

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #60 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 10:50pm:
I think they're all awesome, Dave.  As usual, your work speaks for itself (in excellence).

What's the scale on #5 (the industrial/residential section of town)?

Thanks! They're really just what I said though... unfinished out takes. I have more of that kind of stuff I'll post later.
When projects ease up I may even purposefully make some newer outtakes.

The town... I remember that I had a scale but forgot what it was... give me a second and I'll blow it up and check.

IP Logged

Red Tornado
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #61 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Man, there are more V and V forums than I ever imagined.  Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #62 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Hey, does anyone have those last two articles that Dislpay Name is referring to...
*Gateways #11, Nov. 1988: V&V stats for the Badger
*Stardate Magazine, Vol. 3 Number 3: "Falling Damage in Villians and Vigilantes" by Michael R. Stotts.
?
If so, an upload to the VNVRPG Yahoo files would be stellar.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #63 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:35am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:56am:
Hey, does anyone have those last two articles that Dislpay Name is referring to...
*Gateways #11, Nov. 1988: V&V stats for the Badger
*Stardate Magazine, Vol. 3 Number 3: "Falling Damage in Villians and Vigilantes" by Michael R. Stotts.
?
If so, an upload to the VNVRPG Yahoo files would be stellar.

The Badger article is posted in the files section of your V&V group. I'm looking for the falling damage article, as I've seen it, but can't remember where.

YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #64 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:41am
Print Post  
cool thanks D!

btw, very soon I am turning over moderating duties, don't know to whom yet, but as promised, it shouldn't be me.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
How 'bout DSumner and/or Majestic?

mw

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer