Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Controversial Comic Book Opinions (Read 5833 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Controversial Comic Book Opinions
Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
The X Men deserve the persecution they get.

DC Doesn't know what the hell to do with Captain Marvel.

Reed Richards should be the foremost Marvel superhero.

Valkyrie should be Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman doesn't fit in out side of WW2

DC should have rebooted their whole entire line with number ones right after the first Crisis.

DC's One Earth is still the best idea.

Wolverine is not that great of a character AND shouldn't be on the Avengers.

Spider Man works best as a solo act.

Aunt May should die.

The X Men should be considered villains and beaten into submission by the Avengers

The Super Hero Registration Act was the right thing to do,

And Captain America should have used his clout and charisma to speak out against it, not to violently destroy half of NY in an insane fight.

Hulk became a villain in World War Hulk, and did more damage to NYC than Osama Bin Laden and should never be forgiven and not stopped being hunted.

The Watchmen movie was better than the comic!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ultra Malcolm
Sidekick

I like V&V but I wouldn't
say I love it

Re: Controversial Comic Book Opinions
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Great thread.

I agree that Aunt May should die. And stay dead. She was a plot device that ran her course.

I love Earth One, Two, and Three.

Spidey works bests solo--and hosting team-up books!

DC should get rid of the Shazams. They don't know what to do with them. Although I like Captain Marvel Jr.

I liked the Watchmen movie, for sure. There were parts that I thought worked better in the film than in the book, and parts that I thought worked better in print.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Adding on with Spider Man.

Aunt May was supposed to be one of Spider Man's weakness.  He had a dependant person that he had to take care of. He had to get her medicine, he had to get her to the hospital...  It added tension and excitment to the stories.    Well I think they did everything they can with her, and the next logical step would be for him and Mary Jane to neuralise the Mephisto thing, remember they are married and have a baby.

AND the baby should have some sort of illness due to Peter's radiated blood  and that would take over the weakness of dependent for him.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
...Wolverine an AVENGER!?!  This is why I stopped collecting comic some 7 years now - just about the time Legion goes back in time and kills Professor Xavier and causes the "Age of Apokcalypse".  Not only were the comics too expensive and the titles I wanted to collect had their stories spread all over 10 or more titles I did not want to collect, but the writing got STUPID!  Ben Parker? 

I do not recognize the 'Heroes' and I use that term loosely here.. that are portrayed in mainstream comics.  I pick up a title and thumb through it now and shake my head in disgust. 

These are NOT the Heroes I grew up with!

Oh how we pine for the 80's and early 90's!

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I've never liked Wolverine and Spidey as Avengers. IMHO Spidey worked best in hsi solo book, or when he did his team ups.

Wolverine was far more interesting to me when he didn't have a back story.

The Avengers should be Marvel's greatest team, with a good mix of classic characters, and characters who can't keep up their own books.

There's to many damn "X" books.

DC's Big guns (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) need to be back in the Justice League.

Quit killing Teen Titans.

Comics are to freaking expensive.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 12:33am
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:37pm:
AND the baby should have some sort of illness due to Peter's radiated blood  and that would take over the weakness of dependent for him.

DUDE
that's just cold  Shocked

Spidey's a great Avenger but part-time would be best.

Winter Soldiers a pinko punk pretender ad should be disintergrated along with half the other idiots at Marvel these days.

There should only be one Captain America. Steve Rogers, now and forever. Even if he did take the wrong "tactic" addressingthe Registration issue.

Aunt May's what 120 years old now? Hell she was a old as dirt when I was a kid over 30 years ago.

Wolverine an Avenger! Really. I mean please. (just thought it needed said again)

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Are Spider-Man's kids mutants?

mw
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:19am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Lobo was boring as a regular series comic book

Wolverine should change his hairstyle

Mr. Immortal is too cool of an idea to be confined to the slapstick of Great Lakes Avengers

Kang is a drag queen in mid form, what with those go go boots and that fuschia colored outfit and all....

Elastic Man is really just Mister Fantastic at a Devo concert....

The Invisible Woman's true identity is not Sue Richards, but rather Ann Coulter.

Quagmire was a really cool villain that never got enough credit... probably because he came from another one of them multiple Earths.

The Beyonder should have just remained a glowing point in the night sky... he looked a lot cooler.

Smokescreen, the character in Spiderman's anti-smoking comic book, should have became a full time hero... for corrupt Big Business.

Howard the Duck should have no place in the Marvel Universe... period. (Why not add Mickey Mouse why you are at it? )

There are way too many Spider Women/Spider Girls... and most of them aren't really that interesting.

Electra is boring.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:25pm by davew »  

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Troy...
Apprentice

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
Wolverine should change his hairstyle

This made me laugh!  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Howard the Duck rules.

Captain Marvel, Shazam, should be a Marvel comic and be in the Defenders.

The Inhumans rock!

Lobo and Deadpool should just go away.  Forever.

Vampires and Zombies are played out.

DC's Frankenstein is a cool character.

Vic Sage is the only Question AND he should be like the Justice League Unlimited's version.  I will make an exception for him ( see next opinion)

Unless your code name is Pheonix, which implies rebirth, when you die, you NEVER come back.

Keith Giffen is not a good writer, and as an artist he is a very good Ice Cream Man.

The worse Simon William's, Wonder Man, costume, the better!

Magneto is a villain.

The Punisher works best in Marvel Max, and there is no reason to make it a seperate continuity.  He can go after the thugs that the Fantastic Four don't.  The world is big enough for them both.

Frankencastle was a bad direction,  it will be remembered in a few years  just as the Angel Punisher was.

I didn't like the Bwa Haha JLA.

Galactus should have a purpose.  He should be the first line of defense vs Lovecraftian creatures from Beyond. And after every battle he feeds.   A planet is small price to pay to save the universe.

The Dark Avengers was a great series.

John Romita Jr, is just ok.

Steve Ditko was a great artist, but I think he developed mental problems and his art suffered for it.

Frank Millar is WAAAY overrated.

X Men  SHMECKS men!

Without a Kryptonite Enema, Superman will ALWAYS beat Batman.

Superman will always lose to Captain Marvel.

The Thing is Marvel's best character.

I like John Byrne, still.

Moonknight is a solo agent.   Maybe a team up once in a while, but no teams for him.

Xavier is creepy.  He is morally questionable at best.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Well, John, you know you set me up against you with that first line....  Grin
But I have to agree with you about zombies and vampires being played out... well, except that I sorta had this zombie adventure I was tinkering with awhile back and...

Oh, and Magneto is not a villain, he is a flamboyant fashion designer (who's alter ego is actually Tim Gunn), and he helped accessorize Kang which in turn gave Kang the courage that helped him reveal inner truths about himself that he had been hiding for years which in turn landed him an awesome contract for a great new show to be appearing soon on Logo...

See how this all works out in the end? Without Howard or Lobo?
(Okay, I'd admit, Lobo has been moonlighting as a security guard for the Logo executive offices)
- All of this I know for the truth, the voices in my head told me (the same ones that helped me write Citizen Report and the freebies, so look out!)

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Speaking about Aunt May....didn't she died and they reversed it with one of the lamest way possible? In any case, comic books have gotten ridiculous. Every character must have died at least once, if not twice and then came back, or revealed that they didn't really died. Just wait, it will be less than 5 years before the Wasp return from the dead. I wonder why superheroes go to funerals anymore.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Cloak and Dagger are two of the most under-rated, but best, street level superheroes around.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 2:03am
Print Post  
There should be a series that features the street level heroes / duos.  Iron Fist / Power Man.  Cloak and Dagger.   Shang-Chi and Tarantula.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:41pm:
Speaking about Aunt May....didn't she died and they reversed it with one of the lamest way possible? In any case, comic books have gotten ridiculous. Every character must have died at least once, if not twice and then came back, or revealed that they didn't really died. Just wait, it will be less than 5 years before the Wasp return from the dead. I wonder why superheroes go to funerals anymore.

Personally, although I'm not otherwise a soap opera fan by any means, I'm waiting for Stefano DiMera to show up and make everyone die and return, and get possessed, and carry his baby (the male heroes included  Cheesy ) at least five or six times... Stefano could turn out to be the new Doctor Doom.... and the Beyonder, all rolled into one... Again.  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Not even sure how much sleep you're missing Dave to gurge that one... L'd MAO tho.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
ALOT of sleep.... ALLLLOOOTT....... Grin

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Cable.Liefeld. That whole intervention into the X-continuity only further destroyed the ability to extract the X-Men out of the segregated mutant hysteria ushing them away from superhero comics with the rest of the superteams in Marvel...

Wolverine was far better pre-Fall of the Mutants - that's when X-Men jumped the shark imho....

Proteus doesn't get the respect he deserved as a villain.

Marvel's team books at the time: Avengers, X-men, Defenders, and FF all were best when Perez and/or Byrne had their respective runs.
EDIT: Perez or Byrne with the right inks behind them can fix anything.

Marvel should have kept up the quality on Marvel Two In One and Marvel Team Up and used those books exclusively to handle crossover events. Thing and or Spider-Man not required to headline.

DC after Crisis kept taking their universe to such extremes that you had the sense they didn't know how to manage cosmic continuities. For that matter, same goes for Marvel post Infinity Guantlet.

Arthur Adams always > Todd McFarlane
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2010 at 11:40am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Rogue should cover her dangerous skin up.   She is very irresponcible for dressing the way she does.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Yea right? If ah touch ya, ah'll absorb your yada yada repeated ad nauseum, but she looks great in a bikini.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
It sure proves the old saying "You can look, but don't touch." Wink

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I'm going to risk hot leaden death and state that, in all seriousness, I believe that Zack Snyder's Watchmen was an improvement over the graphic novel.  Points of proof for me on this include a) beefing up Laurie's character so that she carried real power as an individual, which I felt was a point of notable weakness in the novel, b) turning Dan and Laurie into the emotional and moral heart of the story - in the novel, they just kind of zip out from Karnak without so much as a goodbye to Adrian; in the movie, their scathing judgment on him before they left made it clear that they were going to keep the secret not out of repect for what Adrian had accomplished, but to honour those who had died for it, c) turning Jon Ostermann into the villain by proxy; I always felt that giant alien squid - which even the TV commentators in the novel stated was unlikely to bring along drinking buddies - never really established an effective basis on which to incite world-wide terror, and d) having Laurie state that iconic "Nothing ever ends" line.

So, let the gunshots ring out - I'm prepared to die as a martyr for my cause here.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:32am by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Funny I don't think these are controversial opinions at all!

I agree with most of them, even Howard the Duck & The Watchmen - ooh, now there's a Teamup!

By the way Dave, here's a link for you that is NOT Howard the Duck.
It's OK, you can click on it: http://eclipsecomics.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Reach_Classics_Vol_1_4

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Watchmen > Authority
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:56am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Tempest,  I already said I think the movie is better than the comic.  And I LOVED the comic.  But the movie took out the weakest part, the squid, and improved on it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
To me the movie = the comic, much in the same way that the Lord of the Rings movies are as good as (but different) than the books.  I too like that they replaced the squid with Dr. Manhattan (as it makes more logical sense).

BTW - if you're a Zack Snyder fan (as I am), check out the trailer for his latest, Sucker Punch.    Cool

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I liked Avengers Dissassembled.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - May 28th, 2011 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I think Wonder Woman can only work in comics.  She will never translate well on to the movie screen or on TV.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #28 - May 29th, 2011 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Wonder woman could work if they portrayed her as a divinely inspired hero... sort of like a very kind and courageous modern Paladin serving the best ideals and aspects of the Olympians.  Almost in similar vein to the eastern philosophy idea of 'The Teacher who learns the Student who Teaches...' - in that Wonder Woman should be portrayed as all the good things and noble ideals of the Olympians and hard learned lessons of their despicable deeds that should be avoided.  She should be the culmination of their BEST qualities all rolled into one Heroic life-giver - a truly, amazing, powerful, courageous and loving Woman.  A Sterling Example to both men and women of the BEST qualities of divine grace, hope and yes Faith personified in living immortal flesh! A Goddess with a mortal soul.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2011 at 1:06am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #29 - May 29th, 2011 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Really? I kinda like her as the ass kicking warrior princess who wouldnt flinch to take a life if called for. She's at her best when serving as balance for Supes and Bats. Its an almost savage nobility that gives her her amazonian identity. An identity uniquely her own

Thor should kick Superman's ass seven days a week and twice on thursday. Better movie and magic hammer

nuff' said  Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2022 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:29pm:
Rogue should cover her dangerous skin up.   She is very irresponcible for dressing the way she does.

I've always thought that Forge should have invented a doohicky that allowed her to control her Absorption power.  And that's ever since I first saw Forge restore Ororo's powers in The Uncanny X-Men #226 (midway through "Fall of the Mutants.")  Done.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 28th, 2011 at 11:54pm:
I think Wonder Woman can only work in comics.  She will never translate well on to the movie screen or on TV.

Did this age well?  WW: 1984 excluded, of course.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #32 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Nov 13th, 2023 at 9:41pm:
John wrote on May 28th, 2011 at 11:54pm:

Did this age well?  WW: 1984 excluded, of course.

50/50

The first one was excellent.  I never saw the sequel.

IP Logged

>