Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wealth (Read 7792 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Wealth
Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
  I was thinking of how to deal with money.  I don't want  this to be an accounting game, but lets face it, money is important.

So I just ignored it for a while, but that is not a good solution either.

So I figured I would throw this out there, how about treating wealth like a stat?

That is  players have a number between 1-20 and  is treated like Security Clearence?

That is, a person with a 1 wealth would be pretty much homless, while a person with a 20 would be on par with Bruce Wayne.

So  when  money becomes an issue, you check their wealth score and roll vs that.   The GM modifies it accourdingly.   Need to buy an ice cream cone, why bother to roll.    Need to fund your inventing process to create a flying cycle, then roll with a modifier assigned by the GM.

If you roll UNDER your wealth roll, then you can afford it.   Over, sorry but you can't afford it right now.

The player can take on endorsements or make inventions to increase their wealth score, just like they can do things to increase their charisma.    And just like charisma,  when you try to increase wealth, you need to BEAT your current score.

For example, a player with a 12 wealth, ( which is pretty good, considering a 9 or 10 is average)  trys to increase his wealth score by taking on an endorsement deal.   The player rolls d20 and rolls an 11.  While he makes some money, its not enough to increase his score to 13.   

Also,  the score doesn't represent how much cash they have, it represents how wealthy they are.    This can mean stocks, property,  artifacts, cars and so on.   A player can also train in wealth like they can with anything else,  gaining one point on their score just like any other stat.

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:27pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Re: Wealth
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Sounds good to me. Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Sounds genius actually. Simple with lots of room for flexibilty. Exactly what V&V is suppose to be about. (I thumbed through a Hero Rulebook OMG that stuff got out of hand)

It feels like it might be a bit easy to get Wealthy but like anything else if it gets out of hand - GM giveth and GM taketh Roll Eyes Recessions hard on everyone

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:11am
Print Post  
If you roll a natural 1 when making a wealth roll, you gain a point in wealth.  You made some good stock choices, what ever.

If you roll a natural 20, then you lose a point of wealth.  Some choices are bad choices.

If, after all the modifiers your GM assigns,  you match your adjusted wealth score when rolling,  you have a choice.   You can afford to purchase the thing you need, but your wealth score will go down by one point.  Also, if you failed, you can spend your wealth points to make up the difference.  This leaves with with a lower weath stat.

Example  You need to modify your base.  Your weath score is 15.  You roll a 17.  You can take 2 points  from your wealth stat to make up the difference.  This leaves your wealth stat at 13.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2010 at 12:57pm by John »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
My personal opinion is, that I really don't worry about money in the game. The only time you really see money brought up in comics, is as a plot device. Spidey needs to pay the rent, and has to struggle to do it, and it's part of the storyline. When do you see characters like Hawkeye, Mockingbird, The Flash, or Superboy worrying about loot? And they are far from being well off, much less rich.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:24am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
True, that is why I ignored it for so long.  But I would like to make a mechanic where inventor types could make their inventions, or spellcasters could make their formluaes without it being bogged down by acounting.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I too tend to more or less ignore money.  I rarely even use it as a plot element, but then we've had our share of inheritors and really wealthy PCs, too.

John's system is really brilliant in it's simplicity.  I like it!   Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Me too. I also like the ideal that someone who has gotten Int B has a game method to utilize that ability for something other than Hideden/Danger rolls.

Now poor boy Jack super IQ can "realistically" storyline his ability to make and afford those one off inventions to knock Billy Bad Guy with the particular weakness.

"Billy has a weakness to a particular intense lightwave emmissions"

"No problem. One set of photon grenades coming right up"

Nice Homebrew John. Thanks for passing it around
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2010 at 10:04pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I did a Wealth System for Savage Worlds Gaslight that dealt with a number of similar issues.

I wanted to post over here (so I don't forget) the rule I came up with for inventing points and money: Each inventing point spent garners the character $10^sqrt(Intelligence), so you can require that it takes several million dollars for an invention, or mansion upkeep, and have a mechanic for doing it.

(Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:00am:
I did a Wealth System for Savage Worlds Gaslight that dealt with a number of similar issues.

I wanted to post over here (so I don't forget) the rule I came up with for inventing points and money: Each inventing point spent garners the character $10^sqrt(Intelligence), so you can require that it takes several million dollars for an invention, or mansion upkeep, and have a mechanic for doing it.

(Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread).

So is that $10 divided by the square root of the person's Intelligence?  I'm not sure what the "^" means in a math formula.    Embarrassed

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
In my supplemental rules, we use the annual income as shown in the rulebook (though it almost never comes into play).  For years I used a 1.25 (or 1.5) modifier to anything in the rulebook talking about money (since inflation has increased a lot since 1982).

When I just recently typed up our supplemental rules, I decided to check on what current inflation rates are like (compared to '82), and they're now pretty much double.

So now we have this rule:

D. Origin and Background (p. 34)
When figuring out yearly income, the GM should feel free
to multiply the formula in the rulebook x 2 to account for
inflation (if they feel it is necessary). Also, more flexibility
should be given to characters that wish to work part‐time,
but not as infrequently as suggested in the rulebook. As
written, multiply the formula by 10 to ascertain full time,
then divide by the appropriate amount (four for a character
who works ¼ of the time, two for someone who works half
the time, etc.). Note that this multiplier (x2) might need to
be used for other areas that deal with money in the
rulebook (like for an Inheritor, p. 35).
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:17pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:04pm:
So is that $10 divided by the square root of the person's Intelligence?  I'm not sure what the "^" means in a math formula.    Embarrassed 

Sorry, I should be clearer, it is 10 to the power of the square root of the characters intelligence. Also it should probably be rounded to two significant digits.

Example:
Normal Joe: 10 Int
10^sqrt(Int) = 10^sqrt(10) = 10^(3.16227766) = 1,453.04 = $1,500

Real-smart guy: 40 Int
10^sqrt(40) = 10^(6.32455532) = 2,111,326.12 = $2,200,000

He SHOULD get a boat-load of money for them brains.

I distinctly remember in the recent Thing series that Reed commented how Ben's bike cost about $3 million to make to accommodate his increased bulk.

Even a super-super genius (Int=100) still only gets $10,000,000,000 ($10 billion) for an inventing point.

No wonder we can't solve the national debt!
Super-super genius would need to spend all 100 of his inventing points for a level and he still would be short.
(I'm only mentioning national debt for a sense of scale, no political commentary implies.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2010 at 6:06pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I figure the wealth stat deals with inflation as its a relative value.  That way if you play in say 1894 and your wealth is 10 you have the same purchasing/spending power as a player in 1994 with a 10 in wealth.  No need to deal with real economics, real numbers, or accounting.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
That's exactly the simplicity of your rule I absolutely love. It's exactly the kind of solution that's embodies the spirit of the V&V system.

Too much gushing? Undecided

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks,

I was really trying to marry real economics and comic booky economics.  I just couldnt see how anyone with armor automatically has the cash to constantly repair it. I wanted to capture the feel of needed to becareful, but not have all the players fill out w2 forms.   WHile I can see why some would discard it altogether,  I think it adds a dimension without overcomplicating things.

And thanks for the compliment Ranger.  Let me know how it works in your game.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
How would getting the "inheritor" knowledge area impact the wealth scoring system? Currently you get a set amount of cash that the GM rolls (I think). But maybe it could give like 1d10 added to the wealth score or soemthing.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #16 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Inheritors a knowledge? Hmm sounds more like an "incident" like Accident Victim or Organ Donor Smiley

I mean how does one acquire knowledge: inheritor

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:34am
Print Post  
When you roll on the knowledge area chart at character creation one of the results could be inheritor.  I like Paul's idea, just roll d10 and add it to your wealth score.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 6:55pm:
I figure the wealth stat deals with inflation as its a relative value.  That way if you play in say 1894 and your wealth is 10 you have the same purchasing/spending power as a player in 1994 with a 10 in wealth.  No need to deal with real economics, real numbers, or accounting.

That really is a cool feature of your rules.  It totally fits V&V, too (being loose enough for any GM to deterimine as they see fit).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:34am:
When you roll on the knowledge area chart at character creation one of the results could be inheritor.  I like Paul's idea, just roll d10 and add it to your wealth score.

Yeah, even though these are generally "Knowledge Areas", it's more of a "Background Chart".  I tell players that it might be what their character knows, it could be an environment they grew up in, or it could be what their parents did (and then I let the player decide how they want it as part of their backstory).

That's why you could get 'Inheritor' as one of them (it still very much defines who one is, just as it did for characters like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark).

[as an aside, for an interesting discussion about the two, go here http://www.mania.com/bruce-wayne-vs-tony-stark_article_125266.html]

So a player might roll "Agriculture" and think "I don't want that for my character!", but think of Superman; didn't he grow up on a farm in Smallville?     Wink

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2010 at 6:16pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I love using that chart for backgrounds.  You have no idea how many times that chart has been used to flesh out a new character.

Also  for weath;  my players will start with a default wealth of 8, unless they spend points to raise it.  Same rules of character  creation aply here, you can lower your starting weath to gain more bonus points.   ( this only applies to people who use my house rules for character creation.)

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 9:55am
Print Post  
When it comes to money, in all of my campaigns and characters that I have played, all the PCs belongs to a super-hero group a la the Avengers and they are paid a regular salary by the government or a private foundation. We just want to get money out of the way for the most part.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Yeah, in our current campaign, we just made the guy who was most naturally the wealthiest based on his background "the rich one"

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
And you can assign a wealth stat to countries, corporations,  organisations.

So I would figure CHESS in my game would have something like a 40 wealth stat.

IP Logged

maxwellchris
Sidekick

V&V Fan since the mid-80s!

Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Okay, I am just dipping my toes in here, but I have to say: I would really like it if there was a "John's Homebrew Handbook to V&V" file out there somewhere.  So far, from what I've seen of your approach to house rules, I want to use whatever you've got.   Smiley

Twitter  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Max, if you click on the banner ( the VIllains and Vigilantes logo up top)  you will get a file of my recent house rules.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:10pm:
In my supplemental rules, we use the annual income as shown in the rulebook (though it almost never comes into play).  For years I used a 1.25 (or 1.5) modifier to anything in the rulebook talking about money (since inflation has increased a lot since 1982).

When I just recently typed up our supplemental rules, I decided to check on what current inflation rates are like (compared to '82), and they're now pretty much double.

Uhmm... what books and charts are you all referring to?  p. 34-35 in the V&V Revised Rules book is section 5.3 Rewards in 'The Government' chapter... it goes into Laws and Punishment.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

maxwellchris
Sidekick

V&V Fan since the mid-80s!

Reply #27 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:28am:
Max, if you click on the banner ( the VIllains and Vigilantes logo up top)  you will get a file of my recent house rules.

Well, how do you like that?   Grin
Thanks!

Twitter  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #28 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Ah..ok.. Thx! Found it starting Wealth score of 9!  Got it!

Edit: I have three different rulebookmodifier sets... 0, 1, 2.  The one at the banner header is still 1... is 2 more up to date?
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:16pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #29 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:38am:
Majestic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:10pm:

Uhmm... what books and charts are you all referring to?  p. 34-35 in the V&V Revised Rules book is section 5.3 Rewards in 'The Government' chapter... it goes into Laws and Punishment.

All of my page references go to the 2.1 version of the rules, Thunderbolt.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #30 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 7:01pm:
I just couldnt see how anyone with armor automatically has the cash to constantly repair it. I wanted to capture the feel of needed to becareful, but not have all the players fill out w2 forms. 

If you found a way to incorporate LordInar's Intelligence thing too, this quote from you would certainly explain why the actual intelligent inventors usually have more resources to repair their armors, while the thuggish merc's who just inherit armor suits may resort to shadier means to get their suits repaired...
Over all I like the idea John. Like Ranger said, makes sense in V&V terms...

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #31 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
All of my page references go to the 2.1 version of the rules, Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt, check the rulebook on Pages 30-31 for the Revised Edition.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
OH!  Found it... that's obscure... they should like put that under a heading or something!

Thanks a lot!

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
John, make sure that house rules attachment is actually the latest one. In the future I'll start to change the file name with a date or something.

I am just afraid with the porting of the site and then the issues we had in the beginning on the new site that the proper file wasn't transposed.

Confirm via PM or something (or here, whatever).

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Ok  let me read the thing and compare it with my working copy and I will let you know.

I don't think I updated it in a long time so I think its the newest one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>