Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Metapsychosis (Read 3450 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

The Metapsychosis
Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Earthlings were not ready for super powers.  They have been contaiminated by alien technology.  Due to this, the sudden ablity to defy gravity or generate nova flames can cause harmful effects in the chemistry of the brain.
   It is too early to tell, but studies into the source of metahuman powers lead us to believe that they are fueled by some power quite possibly from beyond our universe.   That fuel enters our brains via some conduit  directly into our cerebral cortex.   This vast power can influnece our thinking.    It was thought that metahuman powers work simply because they are thought to work.  And there seems to be a great amount of validy to that thought.
    Now, in some cases, the metahuman can loose themselves in their powers.  They can no longer distinguish what is real and what is imaginary, and do to their conection to this otherworldy power source, their imaginations can become real.   
   We have seen this with the Sub Human.  For whatever reason, he went mad.  His insane mind formed a city beneath the sea.  In its creation he caused an earthquake that killed four hundred people, and worse, he populated his city with those people's souls. 
   The Subhuman has created a subset of humanity!  This is the power of his madness.
    The Moevians, the race with the longest experience with metapowers, have their metabeings fly off into a black hole every few years.  They do this due to fears of them going mad, and to prevent them from taking political power.  They formed a religion around this, and Metamoevians view this as a sacred act of becoming one with their goddess.
   The Moevians fear the psychosis, and with good reason.  The Humurru State, as they call this psychosis, can wipe out planets.  They have a world that is taboo due to this.   They blockade this world so that no thinking person may enter or leave that dread planet.
   The Moevians had Moon  Girl killed due to her achieving Humurru.  They said that they see it as their duty to wipe out the Earth if they have to as we don't know how to shepard our metabeings.
   It is for this reason, we monitor our "superheroes".     Some of them are already showing traces of unstablity.    The Cosmic Warrior is on the top of this list.   It is believed that he has enough power in his cells to atomise a galaxy, and if he finaly goes mad?
  Modi too, is a being to watch.  He pulled a spear from the very air and believes to be a Norse god.   Which brings me to Thor.   A homeless man that was given the power of a mythological being.   In fact even after his death, his hammer is being used as a powersource for CHESS.   What if, in his madness he did create Asgard? What if Modi really is his son?
   And now poor Scion, poor likeable Scion believes she is the child of the marraige of the Lords of Order and the Lords of Chaos?  She seems so normal, but when she talkes about serving the balance I just want to quietly walk out of the room.
    And as callous as it sounds, I for one am relived that the Oni is dead.  He scared me.     never has schizophrenia shown itself in such an ugly way.
      The Subhuman is pressumed dead.  He must have  bleed out under the Atlantic.  His arm was slashed off from the shoulder down.    Its hard to believe he could survive that. But then only three years ago, it was hard to believe in aliens or that a man could fly.

Joesph Turner, Nexus,   monthly report to the Director of CHESS.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:50pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: The Metapsychosis
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
The metapsychosis or the Humurru state has a simple math forumula.

Take the number of powers you have  then subtract the number of weakness you have.

You then subtract your level.

You multiply the answer by ten and that is the percentage that you go nuts.

You roll this every time this percentage changes, like if you get a new power, new weakness or level.

Example  Power boy has five powers. He has one weakness  and is first  level
5-1-1=3    3X10%=30%

He currently has a metascore of 30%.   The GM secretly rolls for metamadness every time that number alters.  When they go nuts,  be creative.   A person can then think that they are truely the king of Altantis,  the hearld of some world devouring space  god,   last survivor of an exploded planet.
  When this madness happens,  reality can be altered to suit this madness  This is why the ordered and  structured Moevians fear it so.   And as the incident with the Subhuman proved, it can be supremely dangerous.   
   Imagine a superbeing with a godcomplex who then enforces his worship!

It is believed that Neoman was the first to go mad, as did the Metaphysician.  Due to this fear of both the metapsychosis and Moevian swift action against this,  CHESS has been working overtime to plug the holes that let meta powers slip into our planet.    They wish to be the only ones with their hands on that faucet.

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Looks very cool! Is this a mandatory for PC's to roll?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I feel kinda special having both my most recent characters so feared and reviled by Nexus.

And they said I would never amount to anything......

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 5:40pm:
Looks very cool! Is this a mandatory for PC's to roll? 

Yes, but I roll it for them.  So far, no player has went beserk.  I am thinking of letting them roll it for now on.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
New rules of the Metapsychosis

Base -1% per level of experience of the metahuman, plus 1% per power -1% per weakness.

This roll is made every time the character levels up.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Will you still be secretly rolling it????

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Nope you guys will roll it from now on.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
OK  new tweak on the Metapsychosis:

Start at 20.  Subtract one for every power you have.  Add one for every weakness you have.  Then add your level. 

So if you have five powers, one weakness and are 2nd level, your number is 18. (20 -5 for powers= 15

15+1 for weakness=16

16=2 for level=18)

Your meta stat is now 18, which is damn good!

Every time that Meta stat changes, the PLAYER must roll 1d20. If its under or matches that stat he is safe.  If over, he goes meta psychotic.    He can become sane again if he makes his save next time it changes.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
So you've gone metapsychotic!

These means that you can not distinguish between your fantasies and reality, and you draw power from the wormhole in your brain to the Imagination, the source of all super powers.   You then start to bend the word to fit your delusion.   

This means you HAVE to spend inventing points to reshape reality to fit your "origin".   And once you have done it, and something challenges your fantasy, you HAVE to spend more and more inventing points to edit the world to fit your delusions.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Note a roll of a 1 is always a success while a roll of a 20 is always a failure, regardless of your Metascore.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
If you are forced to spend an inventing point and you have no more, you succumbed to madness and you loose your character.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
WOW that's brutal, but awesome at the same time.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
That’s me, Brutal yet awesome.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
John,

So let us say some poor PC gets the Metapsychosis.

What happens if they gain/lose a power or weakness or level up?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Re roll if you make the safe roll you are ok. Temporary insanity.  In comics Scarlet Witch, Jean Gray, and Xavier all went  metapsychotic for s few issues.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:40am by John »  

IP Logged

>