Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Characters for my upcoming Con Games (Read 9040 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Characters for my upcoming Con Games
Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
So I started working on the heroes for the one shots of Death Duel with the Destroyers and Island of Doctor Apocalypse I will be running mid-January for Recess.

I figured I'd post them here, to get some feedback from people (seeing as how other than my character for John's game, these are the first heroes I've created for V&V in about 25 + years)

All the character images were created by Dan Houser, who is the line artist for the ICONS rpg.

The team is known as The Vigil, and are based in NYC.

First up is The Ferret, based on a character from AslanC's Zenith Comics universe. His ferret is a trained human, but this version has various animal powers. The character image is one Aslan commissioned from Dan.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:46am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Re: Characters for my upcoming Con Games
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:54am
Print Post  
The second character I made today is Lodestone, based on a character from the adventure "Sins of the Past" for ICONS. He has a magical staff that gives him control over magnetism, and allows him to fly.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:42am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Nice group so far. How many characters are you planning on running? And did you whip up those character sheets?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:45am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Dec 5th, 2010 at 3:48pm:
Nice group so far. How many characters are you planning on running? And did you whip up those character sheets? 

The group will be 6 (1 for each Destroyer), but I plan on making 8 characters for the players to choose from.

I made the sheet by using the form fill-able sheet I found on one of the yahoo groups. I used a program that lets me save the data. I then printed out the sheet, scanned it, and used Comic Life to insert the image file, then exported it to jpg. I wish I could export the pdf to an image file right off the bat, so I wouldn't need to print it twice.

Some of the other characters I will be working up will be:
1) Lady America, a flying, super strong patriotic heroine
2) Nighthawk, a batman type
3) Snow Witch, who has ice powers

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:45am:
2) Nighthawk, a batman type

This caught my attention since the Nighthawk of Marvel Comics was created in the 1970s to be the Batman counterpart of the Squadron Sinister/Supreme. Not that there's anything wrong with using the name/theme, of course.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:18am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:03am:
This caught my attention since the Nighthawk of Marvel Comics was created in the 1970s to be the Batman counterpart of the Squadron Sinister/Supreme. Not that there's anything wrong with using the name/theme, of course.

I was a big fan of Nighthawk (and The Defenders, who I always liked better than The Avengers). However, that was coincidental to my choice for the name. Since I'm using art that was done by Dan Houser, I'm creating characters around the images/names I liked. There were 2 Batman types that Dan had done, and the one for Nighthawk just looked better to me  Wink

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Very nice, and I think these are solid enough characters to be able to hang okay with the Destroyers.

The Ferret (I know Andrew Collas so it's funny to see him as the Identity of a superhero) is pretty good offensively.  You might recommend to the player running him to evade, as he doesn't really have any defenses.  He has plenty of HP, though, so he should be able to take a couple of blows.

The Lodestone is a bit weaker, but has one of the better defenses (Willpower: Type A) to go with Magnetic Defense (remind the player to activate it when combat nears).

I like how you've broken down the chances to hit (and split punch and kick).  You can do even farther than that, though, as the Base Chance of each attack form never changes (i.e., Power Blast always starts at 16, Ice at 14, etc.).  Your way might be enough, but let me give you an example of how I would write out both of these characters "To Hit/Damage":

Ferrett
Claws - 12/1d12+8
HTH - 10/1d12+4

Lodestone
Magnetic Blast - 15/3d10+1
HTH - 7/1d4+1
Defenses: Willpower, Magnetics

[Note that your damage for Ferrett is short by 2 on his HTH attacks (his Damage Mod. is +4 and you only show +2)]
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2010 at 6:25pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Majestic,

Thanks for the feedback! I've made some adjustments to the characters all ready (Polar Boy caught a mistake I made with a HP mod for one of them), but have yet to update with the new sheets (I found a program online that lets me convert the pdf right to jpeg, so the sheets don't look crooked from my scanning attempts).

I forgot about the base chance to hit; I think I will keep it the way I have it though. I suspect people would get confused if they roll what is listed, but miss because of the defense mods. I think just letting them roll, and letting them know if they succeed, will work better (seeing a I don't know who is playing, and what, if any, experience they have playing V&V previously). If they all knew the game, your way would be perfect.

I started plotting out powers for a few of the other characters (Lady America, Frostwitch and Max Plastic), so I hope to have these up by the end of the week.

And yeah, I thought it amusing to make Ferret Andrew. It's one of his characters (along with Lady A and Max Plastic), so I thought the homage was warranted

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to seeing the new characters.  I like the format you've got them in, and think it will be pretty easy for new players to simply pick them up and start playing!    Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
One thing I'm noticing is that some of the Destroyers (like Behemoth and Ratman) don't have any defensive powers. Behemoth has a lot of HP, but Ratman doesn't. Should be interesting to see how that plays out

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Ok,

Thanks to that program I found online, I've put up new sheets for Ferret & Lodestone (including some edits to fix mistakes).

Also, here is the next member of the team. This character is part of AslanC's Zenith Comics Universe; almost half of The Vigil are inspired by characters from the ZC setting. A former comedian turned villain, Max Plastic turned good, and is now a hero, and member of The Vigil:

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:49am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 8th, 2010 at 9:08pm:
One thing I'm noticing is that some of the Destroyers (like Behemoth and Ratman) don't have any defensive powers. Behemoth has a lot of HP, but Ratman doesn't. Should be interesting to see how that plays out

Ratman's plenty tough, though.  He too has lots of HP, and can be very formidable if he chooses to evade.  Note too that he can prove to be one of the deadliest of the Destroyers, if he whips enough PCs into submission with his Paralysis Ray tail!    Shocked

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 9th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
Ratman's plenty tough, though.  He too has lots of HP, and can be very formidable if he chooses to evade.  Note too that he can prove to be one of the deadliest of the Destroyers, if he whips enough PCs into submission with his Paralysis Ray tail!    Shocked

That Paralysis Ray tail of his can = a very bad day for any group, with a few bad rolls. I remember way back when in first ran Death Duel, my group's most powerful character got taken out by it, and he'd already taken out Behemoth, and Annihilator. And if I didn't say it earlier, I really like Ferret.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Oh I realize that Ratman can be the worst of the group, and that after Behemoth, he has the second largest amount of HP. I just thought it interesting that the two potentially most powerful members of the team were the ones who didn't have any special defenses at all.

What did you guys think of Max Plastic? I was considering giving him a small amount of Invulnerability, with the limitation that it's only vs physical attacks.

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Zenith Comics Presents...

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Well look at that! Wink

Nice to see these characters of mine getting used in other games and such.

Andrew Collas as the Ferret eh?  Heh... the stories I could tell... Tongue

Well done all around and I can't wait to see what you do with Lady A (she is the Mickey Mouse/Superman/Bugs Bunny of the Zenith Universe after all Wink )

Cheers!

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #15 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:18am:
I was a big fan of Nighthawk (and The Defenders, who I always liked better than The Avengers). However, that was coincidental to my choice for the name. Since I'm using art that was done by Dan Houser, I'm creating characters around the images/names I liked. There were 2 Batman types that Dan had done, and the one for Nighthawk just looked better to me  Wink

I am curious as to which image you are referring to since I commissioned one of the "Batman" types that Dan did, which was Nightowl.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Zenith Comics wrote on Dec 9th, 2010 at 10:23pm:
Well look at that! Wink

Nice to see these characters of mine getting used in other games and such.

About time you showed up  Wink

Andrew Collas as the Ferret eh?  Heh... the stories I could tell... Tongue

I bet you could! I thought since I was making adaptations of some of your characters, I'd make one of them you as a sign of homage.

Well done all around and I can't wait to see what you do with Lady A (she is the Mickey Mouse/Superman/Bugs Bunny of the Zenith Universe after all Wink )

Cheers!

I should be doing Lady A tomorrow. I have notes on what powers she will have; she's the team brick, so she is pretty straightforward.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Zenith Comics wrote on Dec 9th, 2010 at 10:26pm:
I am curious as to which image you are referring to since I commissioned one of the "Batman" types that Dan did, which was Nightowl.

It's not the image of Nightowl (which I do have a copy of). Dan also did one called Nighthawk for someone else (either as a commission or for one of the Wave packs). I figured 3 of your characters was more than enough to use for the team  Tongue

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Max Plastic looks cool!  I worry abit, though, about his ability to take punishment.  The only defense I see is Stretching Powers, which isn't the greatest defense in the world (I'd put it in the 'moderate' camp).  I think adding the Invulnerability (as you suggested) would be most appropriate (perhaps around 10-15 points).

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Ok,

I revised Max Plastic, giving him 10 pts of Invulnerability. Thanks to Majestic for the suggestion.

Up next is the powerhouse of The Vigil, Lady America. Again, she is based on one of AslanC's characters (seems like half this team is going to be!). She has a lot of different powers, but they mostly affect her stats. She's not on Behemoth's level, but has better chances of hitting him due to her higher agility and expertise.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:54am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Nice stuff!

Just remember her nickname;

The American Amazon!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 11:32am
Print Post  
The other female member of The Vigil, Frostwitch is young, and still much of a rookie. still, she has access to great power:

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:55am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Zenith Comics wrote on Dec 11th, 2010 at 10:50am:
Nice stuff!

Just remember her nickname;

The American Amazon!

Yes sir!

Oh, and I decided one more of your characters will be in the team. I don't know what he does (as I never saw a sheet for him in BASH), but the image is some guy named Gyro. I know he's on your page on the logo with Lady A. I was going to use Revenant from the ICONS book, but adapting him without him using Non-Coporealness didn't seem right.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2010 at 11:37am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
You might want to go back and recheck your numbers. Especially on Lady A. Think you might have shorted her CC and HtH just a wee bit (ok a lot really). Also I think that flight should be 1,800 mph (not inches per turn)

PS: I notice a couple characters with 9 powers? no weaknesses?
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2010 at 6:50pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Ranger,

unless I'm missing something, my calculations come out to what it is on the sheet, so please show me what I am doing wrong.

I'll fix the flight thing; I used inches because under movement it uses them. I didn't read through Flight fully, so I overlooked that is listed as MPH (which seems strange to me, since ground movement is listed in inches)

As for no weaknesses: It's a one shot, none of the bad guys have any, so I see no reason to give the heroes any. It just complicates things, and the less complications I have, the better  Wink

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 5:06am
Print Post  
These guys (and gals) do indeed look awesome.  I especially like Lady America (it's a cool moniker and even her identity, Amanda Rogers, is a sweet name!)

I didn't notice it at first, but Ranger's right that you WAY shorted her.  You take one tenth of the character's Strength (it's easy with her, so 1/10th of 60 is 6) and you cube that.  So 6 x 6 x 6 = 216.  Then you add 1/10 of her Endurance (which is 30, so +3 more).  So 216 + 3 = 219.  Then you multiply that total by half her weight.  Her weight is 120 lbs., so that means you multiply it by 60.  219 x 60 = 13,140 lbs.

So she's solidly in the 2d10 category (much higher than the 540, which only got her 1d8)!

Thanks for sharing these with us; they all look like a lot of fun!

Weaknesses can be fun, too, rather than debilitating.  So instead of something that paralyzes them in the middle of a fight, you can add something like Phobia: Fear of spiders, or Vulnerability: Takes triple damage from flame or heat attacks (knowing that none of the Destroyers will be exploiting this weakness).  They can simply add character, nuance, and personality to the PCs, which makes them in turn a little more fun to play.  And they answer the question of "how did they get so many powers?" to some players (who know the system or supers RPGs in general, as they can understand that they get a little bit more when balanced with a weakness).

Another piece of advice I've picked up from others (and which has worked well in my Con games).  This is really only for Con one-shots too: give the PCs connections with each other.  This adds a lot of fun and dramatic excitement to the role-playing that happens.  It shouldn't be something that takes over the session, but if you can add some fun via it, it truly adds another dimension to the game.  For example, two of the PCs might have an intense rivalry (but a friendly one, like Legolas and Gimli in The Lord of the Rings).  Or one character might be the uncle or aunt of another (or a step brother or cousin or whatever).  Making them somewhat connected in this way can draw the characters towards each other, give them a reason to be united (especially with complete strangers) and gives them a commonality and unity that they might not otherwise have had.

Good luck with things; you're off to a great start with some really fun characters!    Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2010 at 5:07am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #26 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Here real name is Amanda Reese, well at least it is in the Zenith Universe Wink

Still gun seeing what others come up with Smiley

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
They all look like a lot of fun to play, I posted the PDF fillable sheet to the yahoo group a long time ago. I didn't create the sheet itself just made it form fillable. I really like the free one on MHG's site though (the excel version prints out perfectly and does all the calculations for you), so I have stopped using it myself. There is also an excel sheet for calculating all of the combat to hit numbers on the yahoo group I have started using, you might take a look at that to simplify your prep for the game. It is even called Crisis at Crusader Citadel.xls and has all the villains pre-input into it. You can find it at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/VandV/files/Excel%20Folder/

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your characters when you get them done.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2010 at 2:17pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #28 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hey all!

First, thanks to Majestic for setting me straight on the Carrying Capacity/H-T-H equation. I was reading the equation, but missed the cubed part (that's what I get for reading it in poor lighting). I need to redo all of them now, as all their info is off in that regards. Also need to fix Lodestone's flight info

As for the weakness thing: I get what everyone is saying. I may add some in, I may not. Won't know until I go back to revise them all (which likely won't be for a few days, as I am back at work tonight).

Duroon: I tried 1 or 2 of the XLS sheets. I didn't really like them much, as I couldn't insert art in (I don't have Excel, so I tried it in Open Office). I like these sheets, and since I'm getting alot of help here on the forums catching mistakes, see no reason to switch. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Aslan: I think I'm going to keep the name change. I have a different concept for her origin, so she's not the same Lady A.

Majestic: I actually did have info (in my head atm) for the character inter-relations. I'm big on such things after playing/running games like Buffy & Sorcerer, as they provide in game benefits for playing out such things. I was going to wait until I had the whole team finished before posting those little tidbits, especially since I'm still working those out.

I think that about covers it. I'll post revisions as soon as I get them all done.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I truly appreciate it.

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #29 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Dude call her what you please Smiley.

I always avoid Rogers though, for obvious reasons Wink

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #30 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Doing my part to keep Chaos Math out of the equation - makes my head hurt Cheesy

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #31 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 11th, 2010 at 11:34am:
Oh, and I decided one more of your characters will be in the team. I don't know what he does (as I never saw a sheet for him in BASH), but the image is some guy named Gyro. I know he's on your page on the logo with Lady A. I was going to use Revenant from the ICONS book, but adapting him without him using Non-Coporealness didn't seem right.

Gyro (Richard Wilkerson) is a flying blaster with force field.  In reality he is a Biokenetic, but that is when he realizes his full potential.

He was a fighter pilot who went down chasing a UFO over the Berring Straight.  He was found 5 days later by fishermen, 500 miles from where he went down and with tremendous power.

Also involved in the chase was a Soviet female MiG pilot who also got the same powers and comes back as Starbird.

The idea is that the aliens are seeding to create a sort of Nova Corps/Green Lantern Corps of biokinetics across the galaxy.

Alas the campaign never made it that far.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Zenith Comics wrote on Dec 12th, 2010 at 8:46pm:
Dude call her what you please Smiley.

I always avoid Rogers though, for obvious reasons Wink

I like the cliche myself  Tongue

I also want to publicly thank you for letting me use the art and make my own adaptions. You know you're always free to do the same with any of the Guardians of Liberty  Wink

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #33 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:12am:
Doing my part to keep Chaos Math out of the equation - makes my head hurt Cheesy

I'm very thankful too. Of course, now I remember one of the reasons I started to like Champions more than V&V (I know, I'm a heretic!). And now since I'm into much simpler rpg systems, it stands out even more. Of course, once you get past the math of character creation, it's not that complex of a game.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #34 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Zenith Comics wrote on Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:15am:
Gyro (Richard Wilkerson) is a flying blaster with force field.  In reality he is a Biokenetic, but that is when he realizes his full potential.

He was a fighter pilot who went down chasing a UFO over the Berring Straight.  He was found 5 days later by fishermen, 500 miles from where he went down and with tremendous power.

Also involved in the chase was a Soviet female MiG pilot who also got the same powers and comes back as Starbird.

The idea is that the aliens are seeding to create a sort of Nova Corps/Green Lantern Corps of biokinetics across the galaxy.

Alas the campaign never made it that far.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I was (funny enough) going to give him Vibratory Powers, and was debating between making him a bit of a speedster, or flight. I was leaning towards speedster, since Lady A and Lodestone both fly (and I don't want too many flyers, since most of the Destroyers don't fly)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>