Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) About the Combat chart in the book (Read 4310 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

About the Combat chart in the book
Jan 15th, 2011 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I'm a little confused here with the combat chart. When it shows a "0" when cross referencing an attack and a defense, does that mean the attacker can't hit, or that the TN is now a 10? I can't find it in the book, so I'd like to clarify what it means

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: About the Combat chart in the book
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
The zero value is intended as a starting point.  Accuracy, weapon bonuses, etc will modify it.

So if you use a pistol against Non-corporeal, you have a base zero chance to hit, +3 for the pistol's "to hit" bonus, plus any other bonuses the character might have.

I think Majestic told me where the rulebook clarifies it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, DN got it right.  It simply takes that attack (from it's original number, in parenthesis on the chart where they list the name of it) down to a "0".

So if you have Power Blast, which starts at a "16", and a defense takes it down to a "0", that simply means that it cuts that attack down by 16.

Other factors: Accuracy, training bonuses to hit, Heightened Expertise, Natural Weaponry, facing, range, etc. can all modify the final number, which must be rolled on a 1d20 once you have a final number.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Doesn't the rulebook mention something to this effect?  I *think* you pointed that out to me once...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I use a house rule where, except in a few cases, the zero gives you immunity to that particular attack.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Hey guys. Missed most of these replies as I was at Recess. I went with what you all pointed out it meant, which made it hard for some of the heroes to hit certain villains.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:57pm:
Doesn't the rulebook mention something to this effect?  I *think* you pointed that out to me once...

Yes, it does explain all of that.  I know it causes confusion, though, so it probably could explain it all a little bit clearer.

Looking forward to hearing how it went at Recess, Gerry.  The Destroyers are fairly tough bad guys, and are difficult to defeat!    Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Hey guys!

Recess is now over. I had a great time. Both games turned out quite interesting. I'm going to start a separate thread on that in a bit. Just got home, and need to go through email and stuff, and take my medication (forgot to bring my pill, so I need to take one now)

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Your best point of reference is force field.  Force field reduces all attacks it defends against to 0.  Part of the power also talks about penetrating the force field.  Deducing from this, a base of 0 is a base, not the final number.

House rules may vary and all that.

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I still think 0 means immunity from the attack. I mean how can a HTH attack affect an incorporeal character?! Angry

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Page 26 of the 2.1 rulebook, second paragraph under the heading of Evasion.

Quote:
Once the final chances of hitting are determined, the attacker rolls 1d20. If the die roll is equal to or less than the number required to hit, the attack is a success. A die roll of exactly one is always a hit, regardless of the number required; likewise a die roll of 20 always misses.

So even if the chance to hit is a 0 a player can still hit if he rolls a 1. How you house rule things is entirely up to you, but that's the way it is by the book.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:25pm:
I still think 0 means immunity from the attack. I mean how can a HTH attack affect an incorporeal character?! Angry

It's a game?

Time to expand our minds

Non-corporealness isn't the only defense that provides a "zero" base chance to hit. Should Willpower make it impossible to hit someone in HTH? Should Flame and Ice powers make it impossible to actually be hit by the other?

Non-corporeal creatures aren't invisible. If light is reflecting from the creature that means something is hitting it. If light energy, why not power blast? If a power blast then why not a super-dense (Armor/Invulnerability) fist?

Superheroes = Super Science

I'm sure it's all been said before. I just never understand why folks want uber-realism out of a game where you can shoot flames out of your eyes?

We all know that's an ability reserved for ones wife Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:45pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I read a comic where the villain could reprogram a computer by reaching inside it while non-corporeal!?

What is the physiology of a non-corporeal body?  Anyone?  Anyone?

01) Heartbeat would likely slow because density loss would make the blood flow faster (MUCH faster).

02) Breathing would likely slow as well and normal air pressure would "feel" a lot thicker to the non-corporeal person.

03) Vision might get a little cloudy as the optic nerves lost density.

etc.

All of this assumes an actual loss of density and not some kind of extra-dimensional loss (Tardis?)

"Scientific" explanations (ie: really good BS) can help give a story life.  Kinda makes it "realer", I guess?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:44am
Print Post  
wow. I never thought my inquiry would spark such a diverse and interesting conversation!

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:04pm:
Galaxy Boy wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:25pm:

It's a game?

Time to expand our minds

Non-corporealness isn't the only defense that provides a "zero" base chance to hit. Should Willpower make it impossible to hit someone in HTH? Should Flame and Ice powers make it impossible to actually be hit by the other?

Non-corporeal creatures aren't invisible. If light is reflecting from the creature that means something is hitting it. If light energy, why not power blast? If a power blast then why not a super-dense (Armor/Invulnerability) fist?

Superheroes = Super Science

I'm sure it's all been said before. I just never understand why folks want uber-realism out of a game where you can shoot flames out of your eyes?

We all know that's an ability reserved for ones wife Cheesy

A character who has ice powers is naturally immune to ice and/or cold based attack.

It is a game, true. But at the very least it should have some realism and logic to it. (Galaxy Boy 1, Ranger 0 Grin)

An incorporeal character, traditionally, is immune to physical attacks, but not energy attacks like the example you gave.
(Galaxy Boy 2, Ranger -1  Cheesy)

For example, Willpower probably makes someone immune to pain and what not so HTH attacks will not affect the character. (Galaxy 3, Ranger -2 Grin)

ZERO means IMMUNITY!!!
(Galaxy Boy won by big margin. Ranger slinks away, defeated!).

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I'm absolutely certain Majestic pointed out to me somewhere in the rulebook about the zero value being "modifiable".  I can't recall where he pointed it out to me though...

Page 22 under 3.2 Basic Combat states "The initial base chance to hit will be equal to the smallest number received."  The word "initial" implies that it can be modified.

Here's a question: what would Motivator need to roll on d20 if she used a Mind Control attack against a 12th level android with 56 intelligence and 36 charisma who had Willpower and also Sonic Defense?

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Galaxy Boy wrote on Jan 24th, 2011 at 3:00pm:
ZERO means IMMUNITY!!!
(Galaxy Boy won by big margin. Ranger slinks away, defeated!).

Crap, there was a contest with "points" and everything?

I must have missed it Roll Eyes

PS: If I offended I do apologize. Nothing offensive was ever intended Undecided

PSS: Im 6'2, 240 lbs I'm really not much of a slinker Tongue Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2011 at 6:40pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Willpower vs HTH is one of the execeptions to the 0 means immune rule in my game.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #18 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I've always thought of the Willpower vs HTH thing as the characters ability to read their opponents body language, fighting style, etc. Sort of like the defensive version of Weakness Detection

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
That is why Willpower have a PR cost as defense. Sooner or later you can only withstand so much kicks and punches!

IP Logged

IndieComicsFan
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Just a note Ranger, regarding "realism" in a "fantasy game". This is one of those common errors we hear people make for decades now that when anyone suggests a rule be more "realistic"(re: Logically consistent) that this somehow contradicts the SETTING/genre of the game/campaign.

This is wrong. While the setting, for example for D&D is high fantasy, with wizards casting spells, elves etc., someone trying to lift a dead horse off of his fallen comrade still uses his STRENGTH and NOT his "Charisma" to perform the action.

THAT is "realistic"...within the fantasy game. Just because well designed rules are(or should be) always logically consistent and make sense does not in any way shape or form contradict the "fantasy" of magic use, superheroes shooting flames from their eyes, etc.

You have to separate the MECHANICS from the SETTING/GENRE.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  

Which is exactly why making "0" to hit, the same as being immune to a particular attack, a bad game mechanic. While realistically it might make sense, game play-wise it makes those characters too powerful within the context of the game. There's nothing wrong with realism. It's just my opinion that sometimes people get so fixated on the realism of a particular point/issue they forget to see how that might effect the game as a whole

Thanks for your opinion though

IP Logged

>