Normal Topic Zenith Comics: A Question... (Read 1896 times)
Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Zenith Comics Presents...

Zenith Comics: A Question...
Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
So with the release of "Zenith Comics Presents: Supervillains! Vol. 1" edging even nearer (1 more piece of art and we are good to go man!), my partner in crime Walt and I have started kicking around an idea.  The idea is to create 1 character folios that have a complete character, with art and stats to use in your games.

There's only one catch... I was sort of opposed to the idea of selling superheroes, since to me the idea is for YOUR characters to be the stars of the setting and if I produce more villains, wouldn't that just be double-sipping on upcoming roster books?

So being completely unsure of which way to go with this, I turn to you all and ask for your thoughts;

• Would hero profiles/folios be something that would interest you?

• Should I maybe do villains instead?

• Is there another idea that I am completely missing that would bite me if it were a snake?

Thanks for taking the time and I am cross posting this on my blog.

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Re: Zenith Comics: A Question...
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
20 views and not one thought on this?  Hmmmmmm... Sad

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Sorry for taking so long to respond, as I somehow missed this. My personal preference is for villains, or a generic locale. Say a villain base, that could easily be dropped into an ongoing campaign. Nothing spectacular, but a map or two, with enough enough on the location to make it and interesting setting.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:22pm:
Sorry for taking so long to respond, as I somehow missed this. My personal preference is for villains, or a generic locale. Say a villain base, that could easily be dropped into an ongoing campaign. Nothing spectacular, but a map or two, with enough enough on the location to make it and interesting setting.

Certainly the idea of lairs and such is a good one and something we will do later (need to hire a writer for that stuff since I have no skill at that sort of thing and usually just use others maps Wink )

Pricewise, since at least 2 other companies are still releasing products for under 1 dollar (as low as .75 I have found), barring RPGNOW saying "DO NOT!" I will price these one shots at .99$

Seems fair no? Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
99 Cents definitely isn't a bad deal. You spend that on a candy bar.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 3:59am
Print Post  
What I learned from my aborted thread on this forum (Villain a week 2010http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1287049320), was that people are more interested in plot seeds than the characters.  So including those would be critical.  Also, don't copyright them  Roll Eyes as that caused some discussion in the thread when I had it on my character sheet.

Now, as to the price, I'm not willing to pony up a buck a character.  I think that's overpricing.  Take a look at previous character collections.  Most Wanted series - 30 villains in both.  Print edition for $6, IIRC.  I know that was from long ago, but you can still buy some of the collections.  Heck, you can buy the PDFs for $4 from rpgnow.  I realize you are having to get art on your own, but you have to look at the competition out there.  Look at the ICONS Hero Pack 1 on RPGNow - $1.99 for 120 characters.

Looking back on the comments in the thread I mentioned, the price really has to make it a value.  As was mentioned in that thread, we can all throw together powers and make a character.  You would have to do something to make the supplement very worth even a dollar.  MHG's posting of their villain from the cover of V&V Revised isn't even worth $1 to me.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:00am by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 8:58am
Print Post  
With all due respect comparing the ICONS Hero Pack is not a fair comparission.

The reason why is we all paid Dan $15 - $25 per character art piece, with the agreement that he could use them for publication.  I pulled my Zenith Characters once Adamant decided to publish it for sale.

There is no way anyone can compete with a product that;

A] Has all the art paid for by the users (in this case a minimum of $1800 paid to artist).

B] Is created by the artist himself, thereby making his art issues his own and not paying out of pocket to someone else and then waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting for the art to arrive in a vacuum.

Now, as to you issue of value vs. product.  Yes a series of plot seeds would be a wonderful thing, but again this is not the item I am asking about (though everything I produce has Hooks in it to make for more use than just a bunch of stats).  Though like the idea of locations it is something to think about, down the road.

Based on your price comparisons ($4 for 30 villains or $1.99 for 120 villains) I shouldn't expect you to purchase "Zenith Comics Presents: Supervillains! Vol. 1" which will provide 11 villains for $1.99?  A shame, though I totally understand you reasoning for your price points.

So based on the feedback I have seen for this idea (single hero/villain dossiers) I probably can't seen myself producing them.  No one seems to like the idea and that's that.  No harm no foul. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011 at 9:04am by Zenith Comics »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
A single villain, single map locale with a single page mini-adventure seed is some thing I could see pulling $1.50 charge for;
I know we're thinking in those terms here, but not on their own. We'd rather add value to planned products if we need fill tho.

{spelling error}
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2011 at 12:42pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I was aware of how the Icons pack worked - actually, it was a $20 purchase per person who paid to have their character illustrated, then they asked if they could publish the characters.

So yes, the artist was paid for his art by the people who created the characters, but the book is now up for sale to people who didn't pay up front.

I would be willing to consider 11 characters for $2, as that is much closer to the format of 30 for $4.  But $1 for 1, no, I wouldn't pay that.

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Feb 8th, 2011 at 2:21pm:
A single villain, single map locale with a single page mini-adventure seed is some thing I could see pulling $1.50 charge for;
I know we're thinking in those terms here, but not on their own. We'd rather add vakue to planned products if we need fill tho. 

Ohhhh... I like this...  Thoughts forming...

IP Logged

>