Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) STARTIDE (Read 2210 times)
STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

STARTIDE
Mar 6th, 2011 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Here's the character we rolled up for John's Campaign.

John, please take a look at the power descriptions..especially Gravity Control and let me know if I need to edit anything.

The Origin is below.

As usual check the attachment for the full character sheet.

ORIGIN

From the personal Diary of Jaime Darque’
Owner of the Angelique Diable’ clothing line and Darque Manufacturing

Tuesday April 6th

The latest Angelique Diable’ orders are off the charts!! The allure of the character and the exposure from the animated short and the new Trash and Vaudville adds have driven the momentum of the line like a rocket. We can barely keep up!! Alex is so proud …he’s taking me to Toutvabien in Manhattan!! I haven’t been to a french restaurant in years….those snails are doomed and Alex is getting rocked tonight.  Wink

Friday April 13th

I have been shaking for 4 days worrying myself to death over this meeting. When Adult Swim approached me with the prospect of scripting an animated pilot for Agelique Diable’ I was thrilled like a virgin at her prom. Then reality hit..what stories do I really have to tell….who do I have to go through to tell the stories I decide to tell..how much of my creative freedom do I  have to compromise. I’ve never compromised on anything and I’m not about to start. Alex said to go in knowing exactly what I want and what I’m willing to give and to adhere to that like  a miser does his money.  I can do this..I know I can. I just wish Jason were here. His tour should have him in London right now. I hope he goes to see Dad..God knows one of us should. I don’t know why he hasn’t returned any of my calls. No matter where he is or how drunk  he gets he usually always returns my calls…especially with news like this.

I’m nervous…I’m worried…I feel like I’m in a straightjacket of anxiety with the weight of the world crushing me…to top it off Alex said he can’t come with me to the meeting since he has that interview at Manning enterprises on Monday.

Dammit Jason where the Hell are you..  Sad

Sunday April 14th

I just saw a spot on TV. An interview last fall with Carter Manning and that Super Team he put together. All of them look like complete bums except for that Marshall Strong guy and Scion. Marshall Strong is simply dreamy with that perfect jawline and the majestic presence of an eagle. Unfortunatley he must be frikkin’ brain dead to join a team with that Media Whore Manning at the helm. Scion on the other hand is way cool..she practically rammed that camera down the interviewers throat before she stormed off. I like her..wonder if she would let me design a new costume for her….hrmmm  Roll Eyes

Sometimes I wish I could be a Super..never have to worry  about compromise then would I.

Yea right…nothing ever makes the hard stuff any easier does it.

Monday April 16th

I KICK TOTAL ASS!!! I blew them out of the water. Once I told them I wanted to craft Angelique into a Super-Anti hero, a satire of Manning’s BS they were practically on their knees begging for me to sign on. I HAVE TOTAL FREEDOM!!
I just need to wow the Warner Bros reps and Publishers at the Met Premiere of the New Angelique Diable’ line in June and it’s all mine!!!

I think I know what it feels like to have powers… Cheesy

On the other hand Jason’s cell phone is out of service and I when I called his Manager he said he hadn’t seen him in 3 weeks and that he never went on the tour. I don’t know whether to cry or scream..I want  to find him, hug him and kill him all at the same time….he’s not even here and he still manages to produce a grade A crisis when things are turning around for me..   Undecided

I hate that I love him so much….I wonder what it would have been like to be an only child.
Alex said that once he finishes moving into his new apt on Lex he’ll see if he can get some time off for us to try to track him down…God I hope he’s okay

Why do you do this to me Jason!

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

A man floats above the floor in an apartment in Manhattan. There is a framed picture on the wall of Angelique Diable’. He is jet black and rippling with menace. His eyes burn a crimson that bespeaks an  promise of eternal terror. His voice sounds like the wailing of dying children….

“Because you let me little Sister…you always open any locked door I want to invade.
Her diaries, right here under the table florboard where she always leaves them..not even a lock on them. You were always too trusting sister. Track me down..? Ohh the hunt is already on. Your precious Alex….the Ivory Fortress, will bend and break before the storm I have become…

And if you get in my way little Sister..

You. Will. Cry.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The same apartment a week later.
A book sits on a table. The smell of the leather bindings is still new.
A new diary with but one entry…

Final entry June 25th

My diary is gone. Only 1 person could know where I kept it. The same place I’ve hidden precious things since I was a little girl.

The White Event hit. You’ve probably heard of it. I never thought I could be paler than I was. My color is coming back though..along with some very strange abilities. The White Event re-set the world..a global tabula rasa. It seems the slates that got renewed included genetic ones. I’ve been doing research. Several Super powered metas have been appearing in news reports since the event.

I think I’m one of them now. There’s a black-blue glow in my skin and nothing seems to hurt me. I ripped my door out of the wall when I tried to open it. I walked through a door in a restroom the other day and when I concentrate, things get heavy…LITERALLY.

I don’t know what I am but everything has changed…

My life as I knew it is over..

Jason showed up at the MET the night of the Premiere…the same night the White Event hit. He turned solid black and his eyes glowed like the embers of Hell itself. The whole world goes white but leave it to my brother to be the only damn thing on the planet that turns a solid black..

As black as his soul I guess..
He killed everyone at the Met that night. He tried to kill Alex…his brotherly jealousy and over protectiveness seems to have transformed into killing rage.He tried to kill me..smiling at me through my tears and confusion. He might as well have killed me….it may have hurt less. I wish I understood what happened to you Jason.

But I survived..the changes in me must have taken hold enough for me to survive.

Alex was affected by the White Event..he is still pure White like we all were. He survived Jason’s madness as well. He has amazing powers..and no memory of me..or our love. Manning enterprises has him in quarantine.

That doesn’t sit well with me…

I’ve lost enough..I’m getting him back.

If you get in my way Jason… as much as I miss you..as much as I love you..I will do what I have to. You will not take Alex from me.

Time to go and I have no idea where this path will take me.

If anyone ever reads this

My name is Jaime Darque’……

and I am STARTIDE.

STARTIDE.doc ( 705 KB | 28 Downloads )

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: STARTIDE
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 1:07am
Print Post  
what happened to Wind Wake?

OT: the Singularity form would seem a bit much combined with Non-corporeal and 24pts Invulnerability - but maybe not in your campaign setting
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2011 at 1:08am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Wind Wake was too much for the campaign John dropped her in. She needs to run with the Big Guns.

This is the character and powers I rolled with John for his current campaign. the Density Control and Singularity form are 2 body powers that John Designed. The Density Control is one of his custom Body Powers and he designed the Singularity form for me when I told him I wanted the character to be able to mimic some effect of a black hole on a very small scale and I think this was something he had already come up with for a previous character. Everything was rolled from scratch and this is what we came up with.  Except for the  heightened Strength, Power Blast and Invulnerability all these powers are new to me so we will see how they work together.

I also have no idea what John is gonna throw at us next.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Damn, Glare appears lame compared to all these cool new character concepts  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I think thwe Singularity Form is a great ideal. Hell I'd use it in a second if it fit a characters theme - which it does here. Just combined with the others I think you might find it potentially excessive combined with all the other defensive abilities the character has. But like you said - only John knows what he has up his sleeve Smiley

Another example about what I love about this games creation process. GM + Player input = Unqualified fun

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:53am
Print Post  
I haven't rolled a character completely blind without any concept in ages and I must admit I got extremely lucky here. All the powers matched perfectly except one which was dropped to drop the weakness. This was an unusual case as things don't usually work out that way.

Normally I prefer to use the random generation to breed ideas and then conceptually design a character from there. The only thing I don't like about the character is the fact that she doesn't have any cool weaknesses. Weaknesses add a lot of depth to a character. But we went by the rules so she got one which was too debilitating(-she would of had the intelligence of a stick-)which had to be dropped. None were added as that would have meant more powers which she doesn't need. In the future,as she levels that may change though.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:53am:
I haven't rolled a character completely blind without any concept in ages and I must admit I got extremely lucky here. All the powers matched perfectly except one which was dropped to drop the weakness. This was an unusual case as things don't usually work out that way.

Normally I prefer to use the random generation to breed ideas and then conceptually design a character from there. The only thing I don't like about the character is the fact that she doesn't have any cool weaknesses. Weaknesses add a lot of depth to a character. But we went by the rules so she got one which was too debilitating(-she would of had the intelligence of a stick-)which had to be dropped. None were added as that would have meant more powers which she doesn't need. In the future,as she levels that may change though.

I've always found that the vast majority of characters can be made to work, given a little massaging (and work between the GM and player).  My son recently rolled up a new character for our campaign, and he only got two powers.  He continually wanted to scrap the character, and complained that he would just continue to play one of his older characters.  But I worked with him (the two powers he got were Flame Power and Telekinesis) and now he loves the character and really enjoyed playing him.

Your point about weaknesses is one that I hope Jack and Jeff really address when they do 3.0.  I'd really like to see them scrap all of the Lowered Intelligence, Reduced Agility, etc., and go with some other weaknesses (Vulnerable Loved Ones, Power Hungry, etc.) that make for great role-playing opportunities.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
You have the gravity defence a bit off.  Its nothing per attack repulsed, but what it is is this.
Anything affected by irregular gravity gets a -1 to be hit PER three G difference ( plus the gravity defence chart).

I beefed it up.  I feel that an abrubt change in gravity can alter projectories, make arms heavy and such.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I like your thought on weaknesses defining the character even more than their powers. These weaknesses don't have to be rolled up. They can be the result of how you decide to play the character.

You may not have rolled up a quasi-psychosis but there's nothing stopping you from making one part of the characters standard behavior program. Incessant need to study and/or train. Means he has little time for inventions. Obssesive desire/need to know all his team-mates secret identities and personal buisness Roll Eyes Well yeah that's gonna make her friends isn't it?

Just some thoughts

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Weakness is often more defining of a character than their powers in my opinion. Just as failure often generates more roleplay than success in a game.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:03pm:
Your point about weaknesses is one that I hope Jack and Jeff really address when they do 3.0.I'd really like to see them scrap all of the Lowered Intelligence, Reduced Agility, etc., and go with some other weaknesses (Vulnerable Loved Ones, Power Hungry, etc.) that make for great role-playing opportunities.

I agree most will just drop a power to get rid of the weakness. Maybe different weaknesses would make them reconsider.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:24pm by Hawk »  

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Yes weaknesses that add depth as well as  roleplay and plot anchors are far better than lowered stats. When we rolled up the character I was talking to John about the weaknesses and mentioned that I couldn't believe there was no Nemesis or arch enemy weakness...how could they miss that. John also mentioned a very important weakness...dependent!! Where would Spider Man be without Aunt May....

Well, once STARTIDE lvls up enough she will add new powers and we can work out weaknesses that make sense for the character.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:40am
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:31pm:
You have the gravity defence a bit off.  Its nothing per attack repulsed, but what it is is this.
Anything affected by irregular gravity gets a -1 to be hit PER three G difference ( plus the gravity defence chart).

I beefed it up.  I feel that an abrubt change in gravity can alter projectories, make arms heavy and such.

How does she apply this defense to herself then? Can she? Should I remove all mention of the defense from the sheet?

IP Logged

>