Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Attributes (Read 11245 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Attributes
May 15th, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
  Sometimes we need the player or NPC to make a roll vs their attributes.  I think every game has this, but when and what for  exactly are the rules that the GM ( and players) have to make up on the fly.
So I thought I would list, by attribute, some of the reasons why we made rolls vs our attributes.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Charisma
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Charisma:  This is the "dump" stat.   This is why I listed it first.   And  yes, for years, I treated this like a non thing.   Lately, I have been calling for more and more charisma rolls.
   First, let me explain how I see charisma.  It is the "strength of one's personality."   It is not their looks, or beauity.   So ugly people can have high charismas, just as beautiful people can be ciphers.
   It is both inward and outward.  Its that effeffable trait that makes people gravitate towards you,  and instills you will some inner self worth.    Due to this,  charisma is the hardest attribute to use, describe, and role play.

Here are some of the things I use it for.

Cool:   Sometimes things may get a bit hairy, especially in a fight.  The GM can make a call that the player must make a cool roll.  They add their Charisma and Experience level and roll against a die 20.   If the die roll exceeds their "cool" score, then they start to panic.   Each die roll higher than their cool score gives them a minus of one for the rest of that turn.

Example,  Joe is in a fight, he makes a cool roll.  His charimsa is 10 and is first level.  So his "cool" score is 11.  He rolls a die 20 and rolls a 13.  He failed by 2 and suffers a -2 on ALL die rolls until  he gets another cool roll on his inbetween phase.   ( That roll also suffers a -2, its harder to regain your composure when you are panicking!)  Hope he rolls well, as these penalties are cumulative!

If you are called to make a cool roll and roll a natural 1, then you are Resolute and are immune from any other cool rolls for the rest of that scene.  Furthermore you get a Charisma bonus roll.
  Unfortunatly, if you roll a natural 20 on a cool roll,  you are so freaked out that you can't do anything for the rest of the scene, and will only fight to defend yourself from direct attack at the worst penalty your score allows, and with no dodge, tumbling, or level modifiers!   Since this is really bad,  Karma is allowed to avoid it.  So if you roll a natural 20 and fail at your Karma roll,  be prepared to sit this fight out.

Snap out of it!  A comrade can calm down a panicking buddy by making a Charisma roll vs their own score.  They roll a d20 and if the roll is lower  than their charisma they can add the number of successes  to the poor guy freaking out.   This will temperarliy higher the guy loosing his cool's "cool score" for the purpose of that save.   This takes an action to do.

Intimidate  You want to scare someone into giving up a fight, or to give you some information then you try to intimidate them.   You are then forcing the other guy to make a Cool roll.   
      The Intimidator then rolls Cd20.  If he succeeds ( rolls lower than his charisma score) then he get to take the amount UNDER his score and add it to the die roll of the sucker he is trying to scare.
Badass tries to intimidate Fred.   Badass's charisa is 17. He rolls d20 and gets a 5.  He succeed by 12!   Fred must add 17 to his die 20 roll to stay cool.  Fred's charisma is only 9.   He rolls a 3. He would have succeeded but Badass forced his die roll to be increased by 12.   This means he "rolled" a 15 which is higher than Fred's charisma.  Fred looses his cool, AND suffers a -6 on all his die rolls.  Fred would be smart to give Badass what he wants!

Inspire:  By spending an action talking to his troops, a great leader can inspire his teammates to "go for the gold"!    The formula is this.
Charisma-20d20.  This means unless your charisma is atleast 21 you can't do this!
Ok,   Captain America calls Avengers Assemble and then tells them they can do it.   His charisma is 35.   35-20=15.   He rolls d20.  He rolls a 7
So he succeeded by 8!   All those on his side, get a bonus of 8 free Karma points for their next action.  This cost the good Captain his action, but  it should be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2012 at 1:17am by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Attributes
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Endurance:  This is how sturdy, healthy, and recuperative your body is.   I think most of us know what Endurance is, its not a nebulous as Charisma.   I use it when the body undergoes physical stress or to recover from physical stress.

Wake up: as per the rules.  When knocked out with NO hit points,  you rolld Ed100 once per HOUR.  Sucks being beaten to a pulp.
      If you still have hits, then you roll Ed100 once per TURN.  You get no hit points back when you wake up.  That takes healing.

Healing: As per the rules.  Only after rest. Usually only once in a 24 hour peroid do you get a healing rate back.

Power Recovery: Once per minute of rest, you recover 1/10th your Endurace score back in power points. 

Stay Awke: Also Endurance is used to see how long you can go without sleep.  A person can function normally for E hours after 24 hours without sleep.  Each hour after that,  they suffer a cumulative -1 on each die roll.

Exhaustion:  This is extreme fatigue.  A player suffers exhaustion if they have becomed fatigued.  THe body can only recover power so many times.  So if your E is 10 and you became fatigued 10 times that day you are ok, but if you become fatigued ONCE more, you become exhausted.     Once you become exhausted, you can not heal or recover power have bed rest.  Then power recovers once per HOUR rather than minute.

Life Span:  You live 10 years for each point of endurance.    With the average human having about a 9 or 10 endurance, they should live to be 90 or 100.  However with pollution and poor life choices ( smoking, drugs) and less then idea circumstance, most do not live to their full potential life span.   Once you make it to your decade, each month save vs E or die.  Each month, subtract one point from your E score until death.

Hold Breath:  Like the rules say, a player can hold their breath for as many turns as they have E points.  If they were taken by suprise and didn't get a good breath, this is ruduced to phases, rather than turns.

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2011 at 1:12pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Agility:  Most of us have a good grasp of what aglity is.  Its not just the physical dexterity of the person, but how gracefull they can be.

Initiative: Same as rules, 1d10 + Aglity score.

Jump:  This is to land where you want to.   If you failed the jump roll, then your jump went ary.

Catch:  This is to catch an un resisting non animate thing, like a baseball, or a falling friend.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Intellegence:  This is how smart you are.   How fast you can think.   I think most of us understand what this is.   Your Intellgence x10 equals your IQ score.

Remember: Id20 to remember something obvious, d100 to remember something obscure.

invent: Same as rules.

Inventing Points:  Same as rules, every level you get Intellgence/10 Inventing points.

Knoweldge:  If you know something like Physics, or Computers then when those knowledge Areas come into play, you roll Id20. If you roll less then your I score then you can do it, or you know it.

Cast Spells:  This is in my house rules.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Strength:  We all know what strength is.

Most strength challenges can be done by a simple  carrying capacity check.    For anything else, I roll Sd20. ( arm wrestling, two people pulling on a sword, etc...)   This is the simplest of the attributes to use.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2011 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Will:  Yes, I use a Will stat in my game.  This the mental strength of a character.   Its not how "wise" or smart a person is, but how much mental fortitude a character possesses.

Focus:  When you don't want to be distracted, you roll Wd20 to stay focuses,  like when teleporting over dangerous things, telekineses use with the nuclear bomb as guys are shooting at you, or casting a spell when the hoards are attacking.

Will is the go to stat for things like telekinese, telepathy and such.

To resist a telepath, the resistor roles Wd20 to block the telepath from making contact.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2011 at 6:12pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2011 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Rule of thumb,  if it deals with Emotion use Chariama.

Physical stress or pain,  Endurance.

Mental resistance, or mental fortitude,  Will.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Well done.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Very well done, John.  I especially like what you've done with Charisma and the various uses you've given it!

For Endurance, I don't suppose the rolling to see if somebody is going to die thing comes up very often.  Seems a bit skewed, too, in that your average character with a 14 or 15 E is going to live to the ripe old age of 140-150!  Shocked

I don't think there's anything in the rules, either, about being able to hold your breath for a number of minutes = E (the rulebook proper, anyway).  I think that was in the addendum that came out for Underwater rules (we were just using it when we played last night).

Well done!    Smiley
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2011 at 1:30pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Oh, and one other question regarding the way you use Endurance.  For fatigue, that seems like a lot of times to allow a person to become fatigued in a 24-hour period.  Even playing with a large group (with 7-10 PCs), I only see fatigue happen about once every year (for a single character).  In other words, it's extremely rare for us to see someone become fatigued even twice in a year, yet alone twice in a day!  In your game does fatigue happen much more often? (I know some of your games are pretty high powered).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I hear you on the fatigue.  In fact I can not even think of the last time it happened, so exhaustion in a theoritical thing.

And believe me, no one has ever made it to test out the old age rules.  These are things   I think about when I am on the subway.  I have lots of rules that I never used, like  surgery.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Another rule you have never used: Spellcheck.

Come on man.

Roll Eyes

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Oh, i might be using the exhaustion AND surgery rules real soon...

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
You can only do that if I show up!

Cool

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #15 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I thought you used the Surgery rules once but I can't remember when.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Yes I did,  I forget when and for who.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Channel had the surgery knowledge area and rolled an 01 at some point and became a "super surgeon" and I think I performed surgery on someone but cant remember who/when.

Actually, I don't even know if it was Channel lol. It might have been one of my other characters.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I think it was Marshall Strong on someone

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 3:28pm:
I hear you on the fatigue.  In fact I can not even think of the last time it happened, so exhaustion in a theoritical thing.

And believe me, no one has ever made it to test out the old age rules.  These are things   I think about when I am on the subway.  I have lots of rules that I never used, like  surgery.

I can only think of once or twice that we've used Surgery (it's one of the skills in our game), when a character has been forced to do a battlefield operation.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I am bumping this up due to the use of cool rolls in my last game.   I will comment later after further reflection.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Ok here is some further reflection.   

Since this game likes to use things in groups of three* I will do the same with cool.

So if you fail your cool roll  you get a -1 if you fail by a 1-3.   A -2 if you fail by 4-6, and a -3 if you fail by 7-9 etc...   This balances failed cool rolls out a bit.  It makes them not so devastating, but it could hinder you and add tension to the game.

* the regular stats give you modifiers in groups of three so I have stuck with this model.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Are you going to do the same with Charisma?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I don't understand.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
When we broke down the reaction table for Charisma rolls I don't think we set it in levels of three and you mentioned a while back you wanted to do that to make it the same as everything else. I think we just ranged it in twenty different reactions

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Oh, it doesn't really matter, as I use the roll as a gauge  to role play.  Its not like there is a +/- to a die roll after a reaction roll.  I just look and see "oh he got a positive 15 on reaction, he really likes him..."   so there is no need for that.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #26 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Had to look up Karma on your modified rules, I like the idea, but it seems like it's ripe for abuse.  Do your characters use it a lot?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Yes  at least  once a game.  Its ok, as they use ALOT of experience points.  So it serves its purpose of keeping the levels low but still giving them a chance to succeed tough things.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
I used over 10K experience points last adventure with Captain Warlock and failed one out of two times.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
And  I base karma on a  new stat called Humanity.  And most of my players have low humanity so its not much of a problem.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
The thing that really gets abused is power stunts with inventing points!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Just a rhought, charisma is the only stat that can change, up or down, after character's death.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #32 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Late response but you nailed this one.

As you said, Jesus being the best example. Though there are plenty more religious figures, musicians, artists, actors and War Heroes.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #33 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Humanity:  This is a new attribute I added to the basic to be rolled at the creation of the character.  To make it simple, this is how good you are.  This is your conscience telling you to do what is right.   The higher the number, the more moral, just, kind, good, you are.   

When faced with a moral decision, such as, should you not save that child in the burning building because you could get harmed,  the GM will tell you to save Hd20.  If you roll under your humanity score, your conscious bugs you to do the right thing, which is to save the child.   So being the super dude you are, you rush in,  braving danger, taking fire damage, till you save that child, or die trying!

As a reward, you get bonus experience and potential Charisma save for this.   If your Humanity is 10, and you rolled an 8, you get 200 bonus experience right then as you make the choice to do the right thing.  If your success, the number difference from your Humanity score and the save roll, is higher than your Charisma, then you get a CD20 roll to see if your charisma increases IF YOU SUCCEED in doing what you rolled your humanity to do.

So really good heroes will get lots more bonus experience, BUT they will have  more situations that they have to do dangerous things, risking life and limb.

Now if you just don't want to do what your conscience says, and leave that child to burn, you can decided to lose a Humanity point and just press on.

So as you see, Humanity can lower over time.  If your ever lose your last humanity point,  you lose your character and they become an NPC.

Humanity doesn't contribute to hits, power or movement.  But it is the go to stat for Karma.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Wealth: Lets face it, money is power, and being wealthy is pretty much a super power.   And I hate accounting.  So to deal with money  I invented a new stat.  This is a basic stat that a player rolls for their character at character creation.

When a player wants to purchase something, they roll Wd20.  IF they roll under it, then they have enough money to buy it.  The GM will modify each roll with a +or - as they see fit.   For example, a house may be -5, but an ice cream cone will be +10.  Its not too complicated.

Now wealth is not how much cash you have.  Its a game mechanic meant so simulate how wealthy you are. Wealth is not cash.  Your knowledge, your skills, the stuff you own,  your retirement plan, your savings, the stuff you own ( cars, clothes, jewelry, houses, etc..)  comic collection,  stocks and all that.  Cash is a small fraction of your wealth.

If you fail a roll to obtain something, you can drop a point in wealth.  If you, say, drop from 10, to 9, you then get 10 rolls to try and make that save. Each point is a VAST difference in the amount of wealth. 

So you want to buy a laser  gun.    The GM says its expensive and assigns a -5 on your roll.  You have a wealth of 12.  You roll a 14.   You can drop a point of your wealth,  basically you sell off your stuff, and you get 12 more rolls to get the gun.  Odds are you will succeed, but you lost a point of wealth for future rolls.

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:48pm by John »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I think your Humanity stat is a really cool idea.  I don't have any players right now that would need encouraging to go rescue a kid in a burning building (just to use that as an example), but I have had them in the past.

I'm curious, John, before you came up with the Humanity stat, did you have some players that would tend to do the more selfish thing, and might choose not to go into the proverbial burning building?

In any event, I like the idea, and it makes a lot of sense the way you reward players (or penalize them), based on their choices for their character.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Not selfish, but unheroic.  Like attack a pretty beat up opponent just ONE more time,  or not hold back.  Things like that.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #37 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Plus I wanted to make goodness something different than charisma.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #38 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Or strangle and evil child with their own belt.......

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:25am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:08am:
Or strangle and evil child with their own belt.......

There is that...

IP Logged

>