Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Absorbtion Power: Worshipers (Read 6904 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Absorbtion Power: Worshipers
Jun 5th, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Call them what you want. Worshipers, Thralls, Devotees or even Groupies.

The character with this Power is able to draw on the psychic energy of any being who is completely devoted tho the character or their cause. Suggestions are one point of power for every Devotee or one point towards an attribute for every 10 or 100(depends on your game) Devotees the character may have.

Just think of anything you may have read where the old Gods indicated they had lost their powers as they began to lose their followers. They were gaining Power from their Worshipers and translating that into Characteristics beyond imagining.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Absorbtion Power: Worshipers
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Cool Idea.  Makes me scared to think of what you have in mind.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2011 at 12:56pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I have been hinting at an idea for years now about gods.   To be a god, in my game, you must fit two critieria,  you must have knowledge of the language of creation to the poing that you can grant sorcerous power and you absorb souls.

Worshipers souls ( their total experience points) go to their god when they die.    This is how the god gains experience and therefore power.    God  ( the big kahuna) is cool with this cause the total experience points of the god goes to HIM when the god dies.

Think of a droplet of water.  People are tiny drops and their droplet combines with the lake that is their god when they die.   And the lake combines with God when the god dies.   So, in effect,  godhood is a kind of spiritual feudalism.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Temper from the Crusader moduale has a emotion control variant that I love.  He absorbs power from people that he has successfully used emotion control on.

I Think your idea has so many usual and creative uses.   How about  each worshiper gives the guy karma?  Or experience?    So many cool variations.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
In the game sense for it to be an actual power for let's say an NPC Villian it's more controlled. A few hundred Devotees all packed into the Dread Temple and The High Priest is now Supercharged.

Look at the Power in another way for short term and call it Absorbtion Power: Sacrifice. Now give all the stolen stats to the receiver of the Absorbtion for a short time. Sacrifice the Winner of the Lacrosse Game so your God ends up with the Best stats since the assumption is only the strongest most gifted would win.

Oh, By the way. You should be scared of what I have in mind. Or maybe Silent Fury should.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:30pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
There is a new comic coming out called Super Star.   The heroe's power flucuates depending on his popularity.  Its written by Kurt Buiesk so it should be pretty good.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
One of our GMs did something very much like this, for some Middle Eastern gods.  Their power level was totally dependent on how many worshippers and followers they had.  The heroes used disinformation and counter-brainwashing techniques on the masses to lessen their power.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Another cool variant would be the Villain absorbs when their followers are wake.  This could be useful if the PC is a team of Agility Monsters which have the habit of bypassing the minions to attack the Villain first.

This would make them defeat the minions first before fighting the Villain because he would be too powerful, if attacked first.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 5:24pm:
Another cool variant would be the Villain absorbs when their followers are wake.  This could be useful if the PC is a team of Agility Monsters which have the habit of bypassing the minions to attack the Villain first.

This would make them defeat the minions first before fighting the Villain because he would be too powerful, if attacked first. 

Very cool idea, Cougar!  Often our heroes go straight for the main baddie, and this would be an excellent way of making that suddenly not the best strategy.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
New Villain Idea "The Minion".

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Gerry,

Bumping this up for you.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Me likes!

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
This is very similar to a gang in my game called the Bones Gang.  They start with getting tattoos on their hands of the bones in the hand - start with fingers as an initiate, move up to the hand, the forearm, the arm, eventually covering the upper body like a Yakuza tattoo.

The tattoos are a power focusing point where each guy in the tree provides 1/10 of his power and HP to the guy above him in the tree.  This passes on up and up as it progresses.

The players have only ever met members of the fingers and hands style so far.  If we get to play again, they'll see more of this in action, eventually dealing with Papa Bones (the leader of the gang) - had to edit and correct the name.  Found my notes and it was Papa Bones (going for a very voodoo final theme with this gang).
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2013 at 5:59pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
That's a really cool idea, Imaginos!  Cool

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I'm running a game where the characters are slowly supposed to realize that in the world of superheroes.. they are the nascent awakening of the Modern New Gods... {sort of like Niel Gaimen's - American God's Novel} not all superheroes fall into this category but some very special few do.  All the players - perhaps... will become these New Modern Gods.  But the old gods in some fashion or another may still be out there.

One of the characters is called Umbra [Body Power - {2x End}, Non-corporal {not vs light powers}, Darkness, Devitalization Ray, Paralysis Ray, Item: Staff of the Anaad {Death Touch, Revitalization}]... she is aware or at least believes herself to be the reincarnation of [Ahmose-Nefertari] the deified Egyptian Queen long dead.

My npc who is there as an adventure foil and to give some direction in the story and some added firepower as needed for the small group is Sun Phoenix [Natural Weapon/Power-blast 'starsword', Willpower, Wings, Heightened CHR, Mutant power {part light control/part flame powers}, Body Power {2x CON, longevity}]

They just fought off and managed to kill.. much to my surprise the 'Star Devouer', summoned by Maratukku, and cultists.. with some minor help from Mother Superior... also a 'divinely empowered' villian/zealot.. {they are not sure about her}.  I included her as she was a great npc complication as she saw Umbra as a vile pegan sinner! 

But when the Star Devourer showed up... all 1,100,000lbs of Bhole - Cthulian monster controlled by the Old Ones servant Maratukku who is possessed of one of Marduk [the ancient Babylonian God's] secret 50 names... let's just say Mother Superior felt that there was a need for compromise in the face of Cosmic Eldritch "True Evil"! 

It was Umbra's death touch power from her 'Staff of the Anaad' that EVENTUALLY killed the Star Devourer... plus she revived, eventually, all those slain in its rampage... something Mother Superior could not do with the power of her belief!

Great Game.

...the next adventure is the Earth Empress.. also a divinely 'sort of' empowered foe.  A New Old Goddess! Smiley

However, I'm not sure how to introduce divine power in the group.  You can't really develop new powers in the game system.  though you could simulate it with a Invention or two.

Perhaps I could urge them to each 'invent' some signature item as their {unknown to them} "Divine Focus".. that they eventually add the Absorption power worshipers too?

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2013 at 1:17pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
That works (the invention idea), though you could always simply GIVE them to them, too.  It could be through a device bestowed (by somebody influentual) or found, or they could receive the ability(ies) after some sort of transformation or accident.

Sounds like a lot of fun!  You doing this face-to-face?  Or PBP?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
This sucks. I would reply to my own post but there would be a bunch of Spoilers for John and Silent Fury. Not that he gets to play him much but with Gerry adding a character we should increase.

I am still actually stuck on the Absorption of Worshippers Stats so far.

I was looking to base it off Charisma and Level but not sure how to brake it up. I figure with a character like Gerry is creating he already has a crazy Charisma of 40 I believe. Now really he should have much more followers than that with such a high charisma but I would say he has 40 absolutely DEVOTED followers. Zealot types.

It's almost more like a Psionic Power than absorbtion. I see it like he is absorbing just based off the fact that the followers are thinking of either him or the "Cause" that day which is what is transferring the power.
Not proximity and Absorbtion really or you get stuck with limited ranges. I don't see the Old Gods being stuck with that type of limitation.

In regards to the Inventions I agree with Majestic though I would let them Take the items from defeated foes. Instead of having internal charges I would let the character be the living Battery and only Meta Humans with the special abilities could actually use them. To normals they would just be useless.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Sorry this is a face-to-face game.  Some of my players are computer shy.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #18 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I have changed this up a little.

The Character gains devote Followers equal to their Charisma score. They may have more followers but the absolute core Zealots are the ones tied to the power.

Based off average Stats of 10 for each score the Character may Absorb either Power Points or Stats form these individuals. 10% of either.

Example a Character with a Cha of 15 can Absorb of to 15 points of Stats from the Thralls and assign them however they like.

If the Character chooses to Absorb PR points instead they can absorb 10% of the total for the group. We use an additional Stat of Will so the average person has 50PR. 15X50=750x10%=75 Pr. This regenerates as whatever rules you use for Power Regenerating. It is being filtered through other individuals who are assumed to be not exerting themselves.

Increase the overall Power by increasing your Charisma. The Gm and Player can think of other ways to increase also.

A nasty and evil Character may choose to actually train in increasing the percentage they may Absorb. Keep in mind these are actual points being taken from other individuals who trust the Character. Increasing the percent decreases their Stats or Power Points. It may not Kill them but it makes them more vulnerable.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 10:32am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:03pm:
Temper from the Crusader moduale has a emotion control variant that I love.  He absorbs power from people that he has successfully used emotion control on.

I Think your idea has so many usual and creative uses.   How about  each worshiper gives the guy karma?  Or experience?    So many cool variations.

Of course I like these ideas too. Since only PC's can use Karma it is not taking that much away from them and really if you look at how a PC or NPC can hand pick their followers they can look to get more experienced and better trained individuals. Based off the avergae 40 year old who was gaining 1 xp per day after 18 that would be over 8K experience by age 40. I go with the time after 18 since i always figure those previous exoerience points before that were spent on the basics like reading, writing, general life knowledge and learning a trade or other life skills. Military or Police over 24K of experience by that age I think.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Bump

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
If you guys don't mind, I'm going to be taking a crack at writing up some rules for this, to be used with "gods". All of the various "gods" would have certain "baseline" powers:

1. Divine Physiology: The character is of divine origin and has 1-6  (roll 1d6) special abilities, in addition to the ones listed below, based on the aspect of his/her origin:
a) Immortality: The character either never ages or ages at an extremely slow rate. In addition, the character is immune to the the effects of common diseases.
b) Regeneration: As per the standard rules.
c) Heightened Charisma B (Modified): The character's CHR score will never drop below 23.
2. Absorption: Faith: See below.
3. Special Requirement: Worshipers:

I'm thinking the maximum number of worshipers the character could have would be based on the character's CHR score, the more worshipers, the more powerful they'd become. As the number or worshipers grows, the character will be able to do more things.

At the moment I'm thinking they'd absorb 1 point of Power per worshiper. They would be able to use the Power to boost their stats to super human levels, increase damage, or perform some other special function based on their background.

I'll post more later, as I work it out.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:23pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I'd recommend making Regeneration work free of charge (no PR or action cost) between-turns.  The Regeneration as written is pretty weak sauce (enough so that most of my players discard it for another power).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 4th, 2014 at 5:36pm:
I'd recommend making Regeneration work free of charge (no PR or action cost) between-turns.  The Regeneration as written is pretty weak sauce (enough so that most of my players discard it for another power).

At one point I housed ruled something similar (no action, but a small PR cost), as that's the way I've seen it used in comics. Were I could see it taking an action is in movies where the character (superhero/villain, vampire, werewolf, etc.) spends a few seconds ejecting bullets from his/her wounds, waiting for a cut to heal, etc., but that's mostly for shock effect before they attack the stunned person(s) who just injured them.

But, for someone operating on a godlike level, with ability scours that could reach into the triple digits, I don't mind them having to spend an action to heal what could be dozens, if not more, hit points a turn. Just look at The Devil, from the two Devil adventures, he'd heal 3,045 HP per turn.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Good point.  And you're right, in movies, it seems like they often take an action (of course much of that is for effect).

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
It really depends on how powerful you want them to be. Just my 2 cents. Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up for my own use, and to make it easier to find. I also fixed a typo.

YIM  
IP Logged

>