Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Harry Dresden (Read 17666 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Harry Dresden
Jul 16th, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
  Oni gave me a copy of Stormfront, the first in the Dresden files books.   I started reading it yesterday and while I am only a few chapters into it,  I have to say I am enjoying it.  It has already given me a few ideas for  V&V.   
  I think it will be a quick read, and I should finishe it in a few days.    So thanks, Oni,  this goes  with Stormdance, as you both recomended  some good books.*

* He turned me on to the Lensmen, which I have already read two of the books from that series.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Harry Dresden
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I Gave a copy of Stormfront to to Anton a few weeks ago and he went through that and the next two I gave him. He should be ready for the fourth by next weekend.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
So far  Dresden used two spells.   Here is my take on them.

1. Postcognition:  Divination.  Pr=5  Dectection x4 to see into the immediate past of an area.   Range is Cxlevel in feet. VSM

2. Soulgaze: Divination, Enchantment Pr=10 Castor must make eye contact with target.  Castor rolls C vs target's C.   The number of successess reveals how much information the castor learns about their targets.   This information is always true.   THEN the target gets to roll vs Castor's C.  If the target's roll is better, he then learns about the castor.
Then whomever has the best success score, has a perment plus for any future die roll agains the other.   The loser  has a perment minus on any die roll against the winner. VSM

Harry used no componets other than thought with these spells, but he did have his cane/staff with him, so they could have been prepared spells.  I would add componets if they were used in V&V.

I think I will try to keep a running list of all of Harry's spells, as this is fun for me.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:47pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I suggested the book for two reasons. One was because I thought you would enjoy the series of course. The second was because I saw a lot of similarities between some of your ideas and the books. You will come across them at some point.

I will borrow as many ideas as I can for Dick Dante of course.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
He used a Detect Magic on the scorpian necklace.

3. Detect Magic  Pr=5 ( divination) Caster can instantly see magic auras. Detect Hidden x3. If the roll is under caster’s intelligence, the circle of magic can also be gleaned.  VSM
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:37pm by John »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
All I have to say is Skills: 75-81  Cool

I saw the Sci-Fy series before I found the books, and it tops my list of favorites with the Honor Harrington series.

btw, for reading pleasure I highly recommend Rachel Morgan in the Hallows series by Kim Harrison
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:52pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
4. Magic Circle: (Abduration) S,M  A magic circle is a useful spell for defining the boundries of magic.   This is useful in two ways; either keeping magic OUT of the circle, or keeping magic CONTAINED in the circle.
  The magician draws the circle.   For each foot radius of the circle, it cost 1 power.  It will automatically work against ambient, unfocused magic.  If the circle is challanged, then the wizard must roll I+Ld20.  The challanger rolls the same.   Whomever has the higher success roll, is the winner.  If the caster of the circle wins, the circle contains the magic, if the challanger wins, the circle is broken.   
    Now, other things can make the circle stronger, but so far, those are not in the book, but in my game  they have yet to found by aspiring wizards....

5. Summon Faerie: (conjuration) VSM PR=10.  The wizard must be in a place that is pleasing to faeries, no cities, garbage heaps, etc...  The wizard makes a ID20 roll vs the faerie's Wd20.  If the wizard has a higher success then the faerie is summoned. 
    If the wizard uses sweets, bread, milk, then the fae suffers a -1 on his save PER type of item (-3 max).

The book also mentions useing True Names*.   If a wizard knows its target's true name when casting a spell, and incorporates that name into the spell when cast, the target suffers a -5 on the save, or +5 damage, or 25% bonus of some sort in the wizard's favor.

* I already had this idea in my game ( I swear) but my one magic using player had not come across this information as of yet.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 11:43pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
The book also touches on another idea I had in my game but my magic player hasn't come across it yet.  To be trueful, I stole the idea a few years ago from Zatanna in a Justice League comic.
   This idea is blood magic.   The book says that magic contains power.   So I would say that one can use blood instead of power points to cast magic.   For each hit point of damage from blood loss,  it can be converted to  3 power points.   However, one must have the occult knowledge area of Blood  Magic.  And the blood must be fresh.  Once it cools, the power is gone.      It can still be used for certain magical uses, but  not as a source of power.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:01pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
6. Light of Day: (evocation) VSM  Pr=4.  The magus must expose an imaculatly white hankerchief of cotton or silk to the sun.  Then when the spell is cast, the hankerchief will burn with the True Light of the sun.   This spell is perfect for repelling and attacking Undead.   Undead are treated as they are exposed to real sunlight.   Lasts as many actions as the caster has levels.

7. Eavesdrop:  (Enchantment) SM Pr=3/turn.  Increases the caster's sense of hearing by a factor of three.  So their detection score triples.   Lasts as long as the caster spends the power.

8. Fulmination:  (Evocation) VSM Pr=4  Caster summons a lighting bolt to attack their target.  2d8 damage as lighting control.  Caster needs a bit of amber.

Geomancy. 
Harry used a storm as a source of power for a fulmination spell.    He even stated that its tricky to do, and would only do so if he were desperate.
   The Earth is a source of magic, and tapping that souce requires extreme care.   Unlike most sorces which require a roll vs C, geomancy requires a roll vs Will.
   The Sorceror rolls W- the power points for the spell desired d20 and if he succeeds, then he has the power for the spell.  If he fails, there is a chance of mishap based on how poorly he failed.
    Ex.   Harry has a will of 15.  He taps the power of the storm for a spell.  He rolls a 17 so he failed.    Since he failed by 2,  he then rolls another d20.  If he rolls a 1 or 2, then the magic when haywire and who the hell knows what is going to happen!     When it comes to Geomancy,  the buyer must beware!
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:53pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
9. Zephyr:  (Evocation) VSM Pr=3+1 per turn, per obect deflected.  This spell creates a wind that protects the caster from harm.  THe wind can also be used to move things or even attack.   Treat as a Telekinetic Filed with a strenght twice that of the caster.   It also provides the castor, and what ever else is protected by the spell with a sonic defence.

9. Soulstrike: (Evocation, necromancy) VSM Pr=6.  This spell alows the caster to strike anything within range, regardless of defences, as long as it has a soul/mind.   So astral projections, animated shadows, ghostforms, non corporeal, etc.. are all subject to this attack.   The caster rolls Wd20, the defender rolls Wd20.  If the caster has a higher success then that is the damage done TO THEIR SOUL!  If the defender has a higher success score, then no damage is done.   Caster must have a some sort of silver blade.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:52pm by John »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 10:36pm:
4. Magic Circle: (Abduration) S,M  A magic circle is a useful spell for defining the boundries of magic.   This is useful in two ways; either keeping magic OUT of the circle, or keeping magic CONTAINED in the circle.
  The magician draws the circle.   For each foot radius of the circle, it cost 1 power.  It will automatically work against ambient, unfocused magic.  If the circle is challanged, then the wizard must roll I+Ld20.  The challanger rolls the same.   Whomever has the higher success roll, is the winner.  If the caster of the circle wins, the circle contains the magic, if the challanger wins, the circle is broken.   
    Now, other things can make the circle stronger, but so far, those are not in the book, but in my game  they have yet to found by aspiring wizards....

5. Summon Faerie: (conjuration) VSM PR=10.  The wizard must be in a place that is pleasing to faeries, no cities, garbage heaps, etc...  The wizard makes a ID20 roll vs the faerie's Wd20.  If the wizard has a higher success then the faerie is summoned. 
    If the wizard uses sweets, bread, milk, then the fae suffers a -1 on his save PER type of item (-3 max).

The book also mentions useing True Names*.   If a wizard knows its target's true name when casting a spell, and incorporates that name into the spell when cast, the target suffers a -5 on the save, or +5 damage, or 25% bonus of some sort in the wizard's favor.

* I already had this idea in my game ( I swear) but my one magic using player had not come across this information as of yet.

Your Spellcaster is working on it. He just happens to be way behind in updating his posts from his,my, adventures as well. He'll come along eventually.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
10. Tracking ( Conjuration, Enchantment) VSM   The caster needs something of the target to make this spell work.  Something like blood, hair, fingernails, etc...    Pr= 10.  Make a detect hidden roll if nothing but a name is known.   If some blood or such is used, make a detect obvious.   It will last one minute per level of the caster.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
11. Shadowself (alteration, enchantment) VSM Pr=15/hour.  The castor enchants his own shadow and sends his consciousness into it.  He can then use his shadow to travel quickly and without being hampered by material objects, and gravity.   It is similiar to astral projection.   In dark areas, the shadowself is invisible.   However light is very dangerous to one's shadowself.   It can not go into well lit areas, and light attacks do normal damage as well  dispelling the form. 
   The caster needs to make a candle with some of his blood mixed into the wax, and a wick with some of his hair braided in as well.   He then must sit and let the candle create a shadow for him.  If the candle is exstinguised, then the spell ends.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
12.  Third Eye: (Divination) VSM Pr=10 lasts one turn per level.  Grants the caster with cosmic awarness. However, the power cost for correct answers is reduced by a third.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2011 at 8:01pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
13. Fireball.  (evocation) VSM Pr=3  Needs a tiny ball of sulpher, or an existing flame.  As flame attack.  Range is  I+E.

14. Unlock: (enchantment) VSM Pr=3.  Unlocks one lock.  I+leveld20 for it to work.  If the lock is magically locked then the caster rolls I+leveld20 vs the I+level of the locking wizard.  Whomever has the higher succes score wins the contest.

15. Clean Sweep: (enchantment) VSM Pr=5 per hour.   Must have a straw from the broom that the wizard wishes to enchant.   Causes an ordinary broom to get up and sweep an area clean.  It will keep sweeping untill commanded to stop, or until the spell expires.

16. Scorpion Assassin: (Alteration, Necromancy) VSM Pr=20 per scorpion.  This horrid spell enchants a dead scorpion to animate, and attack.  The scorpion will grow accourding to the size change chart on factor each minute untill it is destroyed or it reaches the size factor equal to the level of the wizard.   This is a very dangerous spell.

17. Obedience: (Enchantment) VSM Pr=1+variable.   This spell can only be used under two strict conditions; one, the caster knows the target's true name, and two, the target has been summoned magically.
    If these conditions are met, then the wizard and utter this spell and take control of the summoned thing.    This involves a lot of effort, and strong will.
    The wizard rolls Wd20, the opposing wizard rolls Wd20, and the summoned rolls Wd20 ( if it has any Will!).  Whomever has the highest success score wins the challenge.   The variable power is equal to all the other two's successes.   Even if you don't win, the strain can be enournous.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
OK, I just finished Storm Front, and as you can tell, I enjoyed it very much.  I am going to order the second book from Amazon.   Its a quick and easy read, and very fun.    I like the way magic is explained, and you can tell the author is a big fan of roleplaying games.  I would be very suprised if he never played V&V.
  It gave me a lot of ideas for my magic rules for V&V, some of which will be posting shortly, some of which you will have to find out when the occasion arises.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I am going to count on my familiarity with the Dresden Books to help with my Spellcaster Dick Dante. NBow all he needs besides more spells and training is a Back Bone.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I am thinking I may have to order Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" Roleplaying Game just to have a look.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I didn't include any of his magic items.  I was more interested in the spells.  But here is a quick rundown of what he had.

A. Forcefield Bracelet.  As  the power.  It burnt out.
b. Blasting Rod.  Havested ambient magic power into focused powerblasts.
c. Pentagram Necklace.  It contained the essence of his mother.  I am sure this comes into play in future books.
d. Bob.  A skull with a spirit guide bonded to it.  I gives him formulaes for spells and potions.
e. Force Ring.  For every 5 power channeled into the ring, the wearer's carrying capacy doubles for purpouses of the next punch.

And the book goes pretty deep into potion making, and as cool as it is,  I have other ideas for potions.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2011 at 4:38pm by John »  

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Not that they would be of much help in superhero game but have you read the series The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan? some really good stuff there as well

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
No, I haven't read them.  My old group of gamers all did, and they would rave about them.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I gave my wife a pentagram necklace with my blasting rod last night.

She didn't realize it until she woke up in the morning.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Well they do say good things come in small packages.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
So at least you admit you like what comes out of my small package.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I read both  Fool Moon and Grave Peril   Here are some of the spells Harry used.

18. Soul Bond: Pr=10 +1 per level of the target. ( the caster must guess the aproximet level and spend the power, if this is not enough, the spell fails, so its best to err on the side of caution and spend too much) ( enchantment)  VSM  Caster needs a totem item to represent the target, like a voodoo doll.
      The caster casts the spell on the item and  the target must save vs his Cd100.  If successful, the target is bound and must move just like the voodoo doll.  If the doll is left alone, the target will just lay in  the same postion until the spell wears off.   Every time the doll is moved, the target gets a new save.  If left alone, the spell will wear off in 24 hours.   
   If the target is harmed, he gets a new save with each attack.

19.  Blow Out. (evocation) VS Pr=3+1 per tire.  Range is level x 10 feet.  This handy spell will blow out all targeted tires. Good for escapes!

20. Dimension Door ( conjuration) VS  This spell causes a rift between planes of existance.  It will stay open one hour per level of the caster.    The caster must know personally of the dimension he is trying to open, so its not really good unless  the caster has been there before.   Also, doors work two ways!

21. Enchant Missal:  ( enchantmen) Pr=5+3 per damage modifier. VSM  this spell places an enchantment on an item that the wizard then throws at a target.  It is dangerous cause the item enchanted takes equal damage, so be careful what you throw!

22. Blood Bond: ( Enchantment, Divination)  VSM  PR=15   The caster needs some blood from the target.  When cast  the caster then knows the general location and mood of the target.  Lasts one hour per level of the caster.

23. Mental Sheild:  (Abjuration)  VS  This spell creates a mental armor of 30 pluse the wizards level and intellegence.  This ADR works against any mental attack.   IF the mental attack does not do damage, then it works as a percentage against the attack working.    This percentage deplets and the mental ADR depletes.    It works  one minute per level of the caster.    PR=10

24. Wizard's Senses: (Divination) Pr=10 VS.  This spell enchances a wizard's senses by 5 for one turn per level of the caster.

25. Spirit wrack: (Necromancy, Aburation, Enchantment) Pr 35 VSM  This horrid spell tortures ghost and spirits.    The caster must always make a Cd20 roll or lose a point of charisma when this spell is cast. 
    When cast, the wizard must make a Id20 vs the spirit's Cd20.  If the wizard wins, then the spirit is held in antagonising pain.  The spirit will do what is asked of the wizard if it fails a Wd20 roll.   The spirit, due to the pain, is treated as fatigued.     The spell lasts one day per level of the wizard.   Once free, the wizard surely made and enemy for life!      The caster needs  ground bones of a person dead for over 100 years, and iron filings from an antique torture instrument.

26.  Dreamless Sleep: (Aburation, Enchantment) Pr=15.   VS   This spell causes a target to fall into a deep coma like dreamless sleep.  It lasts until the target is fully healed, and then they must save vs Ed20 per day to wake up.     There is no save when cast on an already sleeping target, but if cast on a waking or resisting target then the wizard must save Id20 vs the targets Ed20.
    This spell was created to fight back against Nightmares or other horrid creatures of the Dreamlands.

27. Ghostswarm: (Necromancy, Conjuration) VSM Pr=50.  This nasty spell can only be cast in a graveyard,  morgue or battlefield ( or other place where the dead hang out).   When cast it summons all the lingering spirits and causes them to go into a beserk frenzy.  They will attack ANYONE  in the area, so buyer beware!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Also Harry, when casting the Ghostswarm spell, was so exhausted he used his soul to cast the spell.   This is called Animancy or Soul Magic.  A magician who does this can really damn himself if not careful.    This burns up your soul ( experienc point pool)   Animancers can use 100 experience points for each point of power they need to work a spell.     Any Magician that burns his soul to less then zero runs the risk of becoming a lich!

And there are a few evil animancers that found the secret of using OTHER people's souls as sources of power, those evil bastards!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post  
28. Deathward: (Abjuration, Enchantmen, Necromancy) Pr=25.  VSM  Requires the castor to touch the target.   This spell prevents a patient from dying.  Simply, they can not die until the spell wears off.   They can be in pain, but that is how the cookie crumbles.  Duration equals castor's level times ten minutes.     The wizard needs  any medicine, or in the absence of that, a ripe apple.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:16am
Print Post  
29. Create Fire: (evocation) Pr=2 VS  Creates a small fire, equal to a match.

30. Veil Magic: ( Enchantment)  Pr=3 per hour.  Caster rolls Id20 and compares against any challenged roll.  This spell hides auras of the magic, so that it can't be found via Detect Magic or such.   It doesn't make your fireball invisible, it just hides the magical "residue" of such magic.   VSM  Requires a black silk hanky that is not consumed.

31. Wizard's Word: (enchantment) Pr 15 per person involved.  This spell creates a bond between two people.   This makes the oath sword between them sancrosanct.   That means that they can not break their word to each other.   There is no condition, they simply can not break their word.

32. Blood Oath: (Enchantment) VSM Pr=25 per person involved.  An oath is sworn and a condition is made.  If the oath is broken, then that condition falls upon the oathbreaker.
   "If I don't get you tickets to see Pearl Jam, then I will just drop dead."   This spell is also sworn over a spell book, that will also be destroyed if the spell is broken.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
you may enjoy the 1st few Necroscope books by Brian Lumley, before he goes off on a rifts tangent for like 4 books

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #29 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
John,

Have you pulled anything out from the Roleplaying game too or are you just taking what you like from the books and modifying them???

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I haven't read the role playing books yet,  I heard that they are full of spoilers.  I am reading the 8th book now, so I figure I will be done with the 13 books in about two more months.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:00am
Print Post  
33. Astral Stalking:  This is a very expensive spell.  One must first buy or make a model replica of an area.  Harry made one of Chicago out of pewter.     He looked for his targert, which he placed a Tracer on, and then used this model to astrally stalk him.   When stalking, the caster's astral form uses the model as a focus.  The astral form can then see his target, his surroundings, and see and hear what is going about near his Tracer.   The astral form can even look up off the model table and see his body, to make sure its ok.    Becareful, cause the astral form is vulernable to anything than can harm astral forms.
     VSM  (Divination, Enchantment, Necromancy)  PR=12 per turn.   To cast this spell, one must previously have successfully cast Tracer.

34. Tracer (Enchantment)  Pr=2.  Lasts one hour per level of caster.   This spell targets a person or object for later.  The caster must make a successful attack but pretty much no non magical defences will work against this attack.  Range is I x5 feet.   The target, if able, will be able to detect a faint aura of enchantment magic.

35.Lay On Hands VS (Necromancy, Enchantment) Pr=5 per turn.   The magican can heal non critical damage.  They must physically touch the damaged area.  No curses, diease, infection etc... just normal non life threatinging damage.

36.  Whirlwind: Pr=5 turn VSM.  Needs a staff, and air, neither of which is consumed.   The caster forms a whirlwind that cones outward from the staff.  It can hold gases at bay or do damage as vibratory. (1d12)  Range is W in feet. (Evocation)

37. Commune: Pr=3 turn (Divination)  This spell permits telepathic comunication with a willing target.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #32 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Ok the book White Night confirmed a problem I have with wizards in popular fiction.

Both Harry's, Potter and Dresden's worlds suffer the curse of the mutant.

What that means is that  in most worlds, Star Wars included, one is born a wizard.   They are a race within like mutants in Marvel.  I don't like that.  I prefer that anyone can become a wizard by study and learning about magic.   If its an innate ablity then its a super power.   I know its nitpicky but it bothers me.

Other than that,   the Dresden files are excellent.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #33 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Oh crap, I just realised that I am reading the 8th book before the 7th!  And I am two chapters from the finish!

Craparoni.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #34 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
John allow me to provide an alternative line of thought to the mutant idea. I've read all of the Dresden books and I look at it kind of like this.

Not everyone but a lot of guys played high school football. A small percentage are born with the physical ability to play in college, an even smaller amount play Division I. Of those a tiny percentage are good enough to make it to the pros, let alone make a career out of it. Dresden's on the way to becoming a perrenial all-star.

But contrary to what some believe, I'm pretty sure teh Mannings aren't 'mutants'.  Grin

The thing is none of those guys make it anywhere without putting in the hard work. It seems to me in Dresden's universe there's a whole lot of magic of one kind or another, but only those born with greater gifts that work at it make it to the big leagues.

No? Okay how about Wizards are to Butcher as Inhumans are to Stan Lee  Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

>