Normal Topic [Anime] Darker than Black (Read 1394 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

[Anime] Darker than Black
Aug 20th, 2011 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Been watching the first season on Netflix streaming, but both seasons are also available for those who have Hulu (not sure if regular Hulu has it, but Hulu plus does).

It's a decent anime about people called "Contractors", who gained super powers after the appearance of something called "Heaven's Gate" (which also saw the stars in the sky disappeared, and replaced by false stars, each one representing a contractor).

Contractors have to pay a price for using their powers. It could be anything from smoking, drinking alcohol, to having to break a finger each time they use their powers.

At the power levels I've seen on the show, it could easily be emulated with V&V. Contractors usually have only one power, but many work covert ops, so they tend to have combat skills and such.

Anyway, figured I'd share this info, in case anyone might want to check it out.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: [Anime] Darker than Black
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I've heard of this series and was wondering if it were any good.  Is it just "decent"?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Re: [Anime] Darker than Black
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I thought it was good. I wouldn't have sat through all 24 episodes if I just thought it was decent, as I have plenty of other stuff to watch in my queue.

If you want a little more info, here is the wiki page for the series.

One thing I like is that some of the powers used in the series would be done as Mutant Power, as they don't fit with standard powers. Even some of the ones that are done with regular powers aren't always as strong as described in V&V. The main character has electrical control, but he can't fire blasts of electricity. He either needs to touch you, or use a medium (he carries a barbed swingline he channels his power through at times)

I just thought it was a cool, low level supers setting ala Heroes. Some big things happen towards the end of the series, but those were special circumstances related to the setting (and where their power source might come from).

IP Logged

>