Normal Topic Youngblood: Genesis & Planetary (Read 1259 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Youngblood: Genesis & Planetary
Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
So in my recent fallback into reading older comics, I've been hitting up old Image comics (and related studios). I went through all my old Youngblood comics over the weekend. Even though they are mostly derivative characters, I've always liked them. The early stuff is not well written, hence my getting through them fairly quickly. However, I found a gem thanks to a friend. Youngblood: Genesis saw only 2 issues, and is sadly incomplete. Based on a script by Kurt Busiek, Genesis is Youngblood from the beginning. Think of it as Ultimate Youngblood. It starts with the screw up of Knightstrike, and how that leads into the creation of Youngblood. It's probably the first Youngblood comics I've read that was actually written well. I thought it was better than even the Alan Moore Youngblood (though his work on Supreme is still awesome in my book). If only Liefeld had someone to write like this in the early days of Image. Oh, and he doesn't do the art either, just inking, so the art is good too.

From there, I started reading Planetary. I had only read the first 3-4 issues before, but my friend loaned me his copies of the trades. I'm sure most of you have read these before, so I won't go into detail about it. I will say that it's wonderful, and full of story seeds for adventures.

I'll be finishes Planetary at work tonight. Then I'll read the most recent Youngblood series that came out in 2008, then likely hit up The Authority, as I've only ready one storyline from that comic (and it was post-Jenny Spark, so I want to get a feel for the team from the beginning)

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Youngblood: Genesis & Planetary
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Planetary is one of, if not, the best superhero comic ever.   I am not sure if you can tell, Gerry, but I ripped off this comic more than any other  for my senario.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 5:43am
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 9:33pm:
Planetary is one of, if not, the best superhero comic ever.   I am not sure if you can tell, Gerry, but I ripped off this comic more than any other  for my senario.

Actually, as I was reading the series, some stuff reminded me of your game. I remember when I loaned you a copy of The Authority rpg that you mentioned being a fan of Planetary as well. Between Planetary and Lovecraft, you've come up with some crazy stuff to throw at us.

I finally read the first story arc of The Authority, then started hitting up the first volume of Stormwatch. Having never read much Authority before, it was a treat. Some of the Stormwatch stuff I've read so far I had read before, but I'm now getting into issues I had not read previously. It's interesting to see what came before The Authority existed, and to see how much better Wildstorm became.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I've heard people rave about Planetary and The Authority before; I'm going to have to check those out.  Are there some trades or graphic novels that make the runs easy to collect?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I would recommend starting with Warren Elis' run on Stormwatch before reading the Authority.   Its a great, truly great, run and it sets up the Authority.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 12:30pm:
I've heard people rave about Planetary and The Authority before; I'm going to have to check those out.  Are there some trades or graphic novels that make the runs easy to collect?

Change or Die was a great Stormwatch arc that laid the groundwork for The Authority. I'd say it's The Authority before there was an Authority. The Bad guys (The Changers) wanted the same thing The Authority do, but went about it the wrong way. It featured the first Doctor & Engineer; their successors are part of the Authority. Some of the others (Jenny Sparks, Swift and Hawksmoor) were part of Stormwatch.

John could likely suggest others for Stormwatch, but that's the one I know kind of starts the seeds of what becomes The Authority. Authority & Planetary have trades of their series.

here is an ebay search on Planetary trade paperbacks. here are Authority trades. Lastly, here is a search of Stormwatch trades.

That should help you out

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I'm so old and behind the times. Part of me still thinks of Image as the new guys on the block trying to break out.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info and heads up, guys!   Smiley

IP Logged

>