Normal Topic Training with Superpowers (Read 1028 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Training with Superpowers
Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Sometimes it's tough to know how much a character should gain if they train for a level in one of their superpowers.  Recently our resident Magic user trained with Plant Control, and - being as that power is especially wimpy - I gave him a bonus of +2 to hit with all plants as well as doubling the number of Hit Points worth of plants that could be controlled.

My PC Compass trained for a level with his Magnetic Powers, but I don't know what specifically that did for him.  Should he be able to grab ferrous items with movement only (instead of an action)?  Should his Magnetic Capacity be increased?  Should his accuracy with Magnetic Control be improved?

Any ideas that you might have would be appreciated!   Smiley

IP Logged

Darkstar
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Re: Training with Superpowers
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Why not allow for finer control of items? or, even being able to work with smaller amounts of material? You could even increase his capacity, similar to how were having rune increase his hitpoints controlled worth of plants.

Id say increase his cap.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
That's not a bad idea, but it doesn't give him much (unless you do a huge increase).  I certainly don't want training in superpowers to do too much, but I want it to be something worthwhile (interesting, unique, etc.).

One of the most annoying things for magnetic characters (and telekinetics and others like them) with 2.0/2.1 is the fact that it takes them one action to grab an object (even if it takes up 1/1,000th of their Capacity), then another to hurl it at someone/something as an attack.

I doubt that this would be true for a master, experienced character (like Magneto).

But then that might be too much...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I'm really hoping that they'll fix in 3.0, especially with most characters only having one move/action per turn.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I agree on the 3.0 comment.

Cougar recently allowed my character to reduce the PR of his Teleport as a level advancement. It's only usable at a greatly reduced range (called a combat teleport) but takes the PR cost from 6 to 2.

I think a +2 accuracy increase or maybe a -2 to be hit on the combat chart (where magnetic defense is applicable) might be a nice improvement for your character)

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>