Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Ravenswood (Read 48921 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

The Ravenswood
Feb 3rd, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
  So after having a story idea for D&D bouncing around in my head for about twenty years I have finally decided to convert it to V&V. I was always more of a 2nd edition guy, 1980's edition that is. I had a ton of issues with converting from that game to V&V so any ideas would be appreciated. I will be posting the Lands,Kingdoms, Empires, Ethos, NPC's of note, etc over time. Eventually I am hoping to get a chance to run a campaign with John, Paul, Marshall Strong, Stormdance, Gerry and Ringo Starr. OK not Ringo.

Any feedback will be appreciated of course. Except for the really rude negative crap. Ah, I guess you can throw that in too. I saw some good ideas on the Boards previously and will try and sort through to find them. I'm guessing you won't mind me borrowing an idea or three.

Hoping to keep this fun. Wish me luck since I am much more used to being a player.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: The Ravenswood
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
You don't need to cross every t and dot every i at first.  Build enough to make a few good stories on, and leave wiggle room to create on the fly, and flush out that stuff you just created later.

You will be suprised how fast you built everything up.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
So, even though there will not be actual "Classes" what type of character do you think you would make?? Hearing that from each of the potential players would be a help.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I haven't played in a fantasy game in quite a while. I normally tend to lean towards fighter types when I do (as they're fairly simple, yet can provide a lot of options depending on what kind of fighter).

Of course, I think that it would depend on what the actual die rolls for stats turn out to be when it's time to write a character up, but other than that, yeah, likely some kind of warrior for me

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:18am
Print Post  
You can assign your scores as you like after rolling them so any type of character should not be an issue. Also I will be treating skills differently but I will get into creation later.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Gerry,

Characters will be rolled as 4d6 and drop the lowest die. Assign scores as you would like in order to create the type of character you want. Races will get bonuses and subractions. PC's will be allowed to roll additional Skill points just like they were rolling powers. This is what will really set them apart from the average.

Humans get one additioanl d6 to assign to any one score. This shows their diversity.

Elves get an auto +4 Agi, and +25% to detection rolls. 4d6 when calculatiing weight. This is not due totally to a thinner frame or height. It also has to due with their bone structure. The avergae Elf is only about 2 inches shorter than a human.

Dwarves get a +4 End, and +4 Will. - 3 Cha and only 75% of their movement score.

Halflings do not exist. Gnomes are not  Cute Tinkers. They are an Evil Twisted race best left alone.

Keep in mind. The average age of an NPC you may neet. Their level will be based off the mid range of life expectancy based off Race. Not all characters are Warriors and Wizards so meeting a 30 year old 4th level Blacksmith would be fairly common.

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2014 at 10:49am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Will there be other races besides Elf/Dwarf? As much as I like them, I've gotten spoiled by settings that have other races that aren't so well used.

I'm still leaning towards just being some kind of warrior. I've never played thieves well, and am only so-so for playing cleric/wizard types.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
  There are other races but not to be used as PC's. I do not make any distintion for "Half" type characters really other than looks. They are treated as Humans. it seems to be the dominant gene. There are various Goblinoid races but they reside mostly well to the North beyond the Storm Towers. The average Human will never see another race in their lifetime except possibly an Elf if you live in the Illyrian Empire but our campaign will be based in the Kingdom of Istria. Human dominated.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I want to play a half Unicorn, half Alligator/human hybrid.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Roll percentile dice. You need to roll an unmodified negative 12 just to grow a horn on your head and tail out of your Arse. Otherwise your Human.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:08am:
I want to play a half Unicorn, half Alligator/human hybrid.

In that case, i want to be a Bugbear/Owlbear mix... Tongue

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:00am:
  There are other races but not to be used as PC's. I do not make any distintion for "Half" type characters really other than looks. They are treated as Humans. it seems to be the dominant gene. There are various Goblinoid races but they reside mostly well to the North beyond the Storm Towers. The average Human will never see another race in their lifetime except possibly an Elf if you live in the Illyrian Empire but our campaign will be based in the Kingdom of Istria. Human dominated.

Gotcha. I like the country names. Does that mean we will all be native Istrians? Or am I asking something that will be detailed later?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
I want to be a half Gnomish Justicar/Transmuter who dabbles in theivery.

( I am teasing, I am goofing on all the super specific character portfolios and crap that just bogged D&D down.)

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Are their priests/clerics in this game?  And if so, are the dieties brand new, made up by you?

If so, I would lean on being a priest if the gods are cool. If not, a fighter.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:12pm:
THE ONI wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:00am:

Gotcha. I like the country names. Does that mean we will all be native Istrians? Or am I asking something that will be detailed later?

Gerry,

I would like everyone to be native Istrians but it is not required. Istria is the centerpiece of the map per say. I will try to get the rough layout of the lands in later.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:21pm:
[quote author=3E39293C2A394B0 link=1328316630/11#11 date=1328371947]

Gerry,

I would like everyone to be native Istrians but it is not required. Istria is the centerpiece of the map per say. I will try to get the rough layout of the lands in later.

Cool. Look forward to seeing the map, and info about the country/setting. Will help me come up with a firmer concept besides being a fighter type, etc.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:28pm:
Are their priests/clerics in this game?  And if so, are the dieties brand new, made up by you?

If so, I would lean on being a priest if the gods are cool. If not, a fighter.

Definately Priests/Clerics. The Istrians are a Polytheistic Society mostly and there are a total of 13 Gods. I have yet to start naming them and assigning spheres of influence. I don't plan on using anything from any other games at this point so hopefully they will all be my own. There is one that will remain nameless. The Illyrians have been moving towards a Monotheistic Culture over that last several generations. Roughly half the population as well as the Emperor pay homage to this God. He is simply known as The One God, The God of Truth. he and the nameless God are in no way thought to be the same Diety.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:26pm:
THE ONI wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:21pm:
[quote author=3E39293C2A394B0 link=1328316630/11#11 date=1328371947]

Gerry,

Cool. Look forward to seeing the map, and info about the country/setting. Will help me come up with a firmer concept besides being a fighter type, etc.

A map may be tough for me. I still cannot draw a stick figure or a circle. I will post the lands and desription of where they fall into place later hopefully. Also key places of note.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:37pm:
[quote author=2D2A3A2F392A580 link=1328316630/15#15 date=1328376372]

A map may be tough for me. I still cannot draw a stick figure or a circle. I will post the lands and desription of where they fall into place later hopefully. Also key places of note.

I feel your pain. That's why I bought some map making software when there was a special from Loot! a few months back. Still need to install it though

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
The Kingdom of Istria:

Istria is centrally located on the known continent. The City of Istria itself resides in the central southern portion of the Kingdom. The Kingdom is broken down into six additional Dukedoms that are responsible for the governing of the rest of the Kingdom.

The Istrians are a Feudal Society. For any of you familiar with Raymond Feists Midkemia, think of that type society and level of Technology.

All roads lead to the central Kingdom City. Actually four main roads lead to and from the city.

Istria is surrounded by mountains to the east and the west. Each of these ranges wind towards each other as they travel North and nearly meet at the northern most tips. Between these two points are The Storm Towers. The first defense and separation between the kingdom and the Goblin Lands.

To the east of the main city is the Dukedom of Sarloos. This Dukedom holds responsibility for the Eastern Roads maintenance and security just as each of the other Dukedoms holds the same responsibility for the other portions of roads.

To the south is the Southern Dukedom and South of that is the Sea. Istria as a country was formed almost naturally by it's borders of mountains and the Sea.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I like the idea Oni.

Is it possible to make an elven shaman/druid...a little melee, a little spell casting and some shape changing....possible or no?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
  Maybe. The race exists. There are no real "Classes" so you shape them however you want to. It's going to cost a lot of points to make a Spellcaster and they won't do much damage at low levels but it should be interesting.

Hmm. An outsider from Illyria perhaps.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Well this would be like a multi class. Spells would not be very offensive until later levels (mostly support type stuff)..the shape change and sword would be the main offense and defense at first I suppose

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
No need for any type of Multiclass since there are no actual classes. Just however you can imagine the character and make him how you like based off his skills and stats. You can taylor the character to your own specifications. I guess I should put up the actual rules of character creation to make it easy for everyone. Similiar to what we are doing now with just a few tweaks.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
yeah, character creation rules would be a big help.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quick Character Creation Rules

Roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die for each stat. Assign them where you like. Note the exceptions for race above if you are not Human. Humans roll and additional 1d6 to assign to one stat wherever they like. may also be used for weight but not for skills.

Roll 1d12 for bonus points. use that total for additional points for stats or skills.

Roll 1d6 plus 2. This will be where you start to really specialize. here is where you would look to create your "Class" for lack of a better term. In order to cast spells or even learn magic you will need at least 6 points.

It seems like a lot of points for bonus' and skills but keep in mind this is a fantasy setting. If you do not know a skill you need you can die. Don't know how to ride?? You will have a tough night and not regain power you may have used. You could even damage yourself. I will not be incredibly petty but keep in mind all your old fantasy gaming days and you should be fine.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #26 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Pantheon:

In the Beginning were the Heavens. The Sun, the two moons, Greater and Lesser and the stars.

Among these dwelt the three Gods. The Revered Father, The Beloved Mother and The Adored Child. Together they were happy and at peace. After an Eternity the parents of The Adored Child felt she may be lonely. They decided to create Brothers and Sisters for Her that they would adore as much as her and they she in turn would love.

So became the Godlings and The Adored Child was among them. After another Eternity The parents thought the Children needed a place to grow and learn. Together with Their Children they created The World. The Children delighted in this and each took aspects of themselves and wove it into the Creation of The World. The Sky, Mountains, Plains, Rivers and Oceans were formed. Over more time The Children asked more from Their Parents. So became the plants and animals to also populate The World. More Eternities passed. The Children became bored. They wanted more to play with. Godlings they may have been but still children to Their Parents. To this end were the Greater Beasts Created. Some were not perfect in the eyes of The Children but it was Forbidden to "Unmake" life. More Life was created and so came the Races of The World.

Now The Children were finally appeased. So many different varieties of things and all of them Unique. During all these lessons in Creation, The Children had now learned secretly to Create for themselves. They were so delighted with all these Gifts Their parents had given Them, They wished to give something back to Their Parents.

They decided to Create One like themselves as a Gift for The Revered Father and Beloved Mother. They would each take and aspect of themselves and give Life. Together They could all make One that would Equal the Others.

One however would not join in this Creation. Though He loved His Siblings and His Parents, something told Him he should not do this thing without His Parents. The Others thought him Selfish and began Their Creating without Him.

Though They were Gods, They were still like children. Each took aspects of themselves for the Creation. Each also chose to take aspects of Themselves that They found They did not want. The Creation was filled with Greed, Jealousy, Arrogance and other aspects of like. Mixed in with all this was smaller portions of all Their Power and their Positive aspects.

When The Creation was done He Existed. Full of Power and All the Aspects he had been given. He knew what had been done and what He was. He laughed as The Children realized Their Folly.

" You gave me Life, but You gave me so much more. In your arrogance You thought to make a Gift but You have made a Curse to You all. I shall not stay and be Named by You. I am beyond Your reach and the reach of The Others."

And so was The Nameless One Created.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Cool mythology.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #28 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
really cool mythology. This is going to be fun!

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks Gents. I pretty much have their "Spheres" down but now I need to come up with twelve names for the Gods. Feel free to chime in.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
You could try this online Pantheon generator to get names.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #31 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Random is right. I used a couple of different generators in there also.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Cool. Glad they were of use to you.

I find the Pantheon generator amusing in the aspects each god controls. I created a few pantheons, and while I wouldn't use many of the gods that were created, there was stuff I could mix and match to make my own if I wanted to. Plus the names are kind of cool

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #33 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I still have not heard from Paul or Marshall Strong if they are innterested in making characters and if so what type.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #34 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Sorry I completely missed this thread and got your PM Oni.  I saw the title and assumed it was about some TV show or something.

I am into it no doubt, just don't understand the whole concept enough to know if I would actually enjoy it.  All I've ever played in D&D were wizards/spellcasters (including WoW online lol) as it's all I really enjoy as the creativity factor is very important.  Sounds like from above the game won't allow for good spellcasting but I might be misreading.

Also keep in mind I dont know how often you want to do this, but my inconsistent appearances might make things difficult.  It's easy in V&V to write me out of a given adventure (e.g. portal girl instantly brings Magnum into the battle, etc.) but I don't see this as flowing well in a fantasy game of this nature.  With that said, if you guys want to run with this and you think my schedule will cause conflicts, please dont stop on my account.  Besides some prank calls at 3am I won't retaliate at all  Cool

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools

>