Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Ravenswood (Read 49272 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: The Ravenswood
Reply #70 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Not a problem. As long as I know in advance. The Wizard can make his triumphant debut when it seems all hope is lost for the other players. If they only had the Ice Bolt Spell right when they needed it..........

Enter THE MIGHTY Pavillion.   Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012 at 12:39pm by Paul »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #71 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
You left out the word "Mighty"

Fixed for accuracy.

Roll Eyes

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #72 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Sorry.

Paul "OK. the Mighty Pavillion hurls his deadly Ice Bolt Spell and rolls a 3"

Jim " Great!! You Hit. Your first level. Roll 1d4 damage"

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #73 - May 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Paying for Your Characters Education

Since it seems to me that in every Fantasy Novel I read the Wealthy and Nobility seem to have more skills than anyone else I decided to tweak the skill points slightly. For every 1000 Wealth Points the character spends they can take 1/10 off to buy a skill.

If a charatcer has .5 inventing points left and spends 5000 Wealth Points they can add a skill. Basically they paid for a Teacher or Tutor.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #74 - May 26th, 2012 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Since I have an entire two days off for the first weekend in memory I will be working on The Ravenswood this weekend. I will see some of you tonight so I will want to either get a copy of your character or at least jot down the basics about them.

The PC's are now required to spend some time serving at The Storm Towers of The North. All members of The Gentry are at some point required to serve in their lifetimes. It may be wise to bring the Elf from the Eastern Woods with you since scout duty is usually part of the functions. The Mighty Pavillion may join up at some point later on.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #75 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I am heart broken and jealous of Gerry. Cry I am still waiting for Ravenswood characters to be posted.

Let it be known that the next time we play, I will probably be using Capatain Warlock, I hope none of the non flying characters are found plumetting to their doom.

I just might roll a 20 when attemtping to catch them.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #76 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Who's Capt. Warlock?  Sounds familiar, but I'm pretty sure that name means absolutely nothing to me.

Kiss

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #77 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
He's the only one I have left!!!! Everybody else Died or Exploded, and then Died.  Grin

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #78 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Well, there is Dick Dante, if he ever catches up with the rest of the campaign world....

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #79 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
  Folks,

I would finally like to run this in the next month or two depending on what anyone else thinks. It's been stewing for a while.

Still need to see characters posted.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #80 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 10:57am
Print Post  
  I noticed after reviewing all the posts that when the Forum transferred Hosts it seems that the posts got a little jumbled up so not everything is in order from when it was originally typed by each of us but it's close. It laso seemed that a few of the posts are missing.

I believe there was a bit about the Illyrian Empire as well as a few key Royals from Istria. I will have to re write that as well as add some new things.

I took a quick look at John's character last night, Sir Roland, he appears good to go.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #81 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:27am
Print Post  
  The Callendar

There are a total of 364 days in a year. 28 days to a Month and 7 days to a week.

There are 13 Months in the Year and each represents one of the Godlings of The Pantheon. This is the closest thing to a Zodiac there is.

The 13th Month, The Dark Month, is given to the Nameless One. It is known as The Dark Month simply because due to the fact that the second and smaller Moon does not make an appearance around the World during that time. The second Moon has a different orbit and is further away from the World than the Greater Moon.

It is said the second Moon is the home of the Adored Child as she is hiding from The Nameless One during that month.

The Revered Father is The Sun and The Beloved Mother is The Greater Moon. These are considered to be Their Realms to be more specific.

Each 7th Day is considered by many to be a day of rest.

It has been noted that the birth rate in the 13th month is extremely low. Most consider this to be born under a bad sign and many Mothers will do their best to avoid bearing a child at this time. Many Fathers are quite upset of course during the 3rd month of the year. Many children born during the 13th Month are given to the Temples to become Preists of the other 12 Godlings. This is thought to be a way to avoid Sins they would most likely commit in the future.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #82 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:48am
Print Post  
  Istrian Holy Days

The Istrians have a total of 3 Holy Days per year.

Fathers Day:For The Revered Father is celebrated on the First Day of the Fall Harvest.

Mothers Day: For the Beloved Mother is Celebrated on The First day of Spring

Childrens Day: For The Adored Child and Her Siblings is Celebrated on The First Day of The New Year.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #83 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
  Illyrian Holy Days

The Illyrians have a bit of a different approach to their Holy Days. There are 13 of them.

Each First Day of The Month is Celebrated as a Holy Day for The Godling whose Month it Represents.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #84 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
  The New Religion

There is a growing faction in Illyria and to a lesser extent in Istria and Pyrene to the south.

Priests and Clerics of a God known simply as " The One God, The God of Truth" have been preaching to the masses.

They do not discount the existence of the other Gods but instead Preach that they are all but Aspects of The One True God. Therefore never discounting the other Gods and their Priesthoods. They are very Political.

It is said that one of their Priests has the ear of the Illyrian Emperor Himself and that The Emperor is close to acknowledging this as an offical Imperial Religion.

On a side note the Clerics of the order have been not so lovingly nick named " The Hurts" since as we all know "The Truth" can sometimes Hurt.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #85 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
  Pantheon Update

Below is a breakdown of names and spheres for the Gods

The Revered Father: Sun, Culture, The Harvest

The Beloved Mother: Greater Moon, Fertility, Birth

The Adored Child: Lesser Moon, Children, Love in All Forms

The Rogue: Luck, Trickery, Fortune

The Dark Lady: Death, The Cycle

The Natural Beauty: Nature, Animals, Beauty

The Sky Prince: Weather

The Master of Arms:Competition, Combat, Martial Arts

The Water Lord: Oceans, Lakes, Rivers

The Lord Protector: Guardianship, Protection

The Hermit: Knowledge, Wisdom, Magic

The Artisan: Crafts, Wealth

The Wandering Lord: Geography, Travel, Land

The One Apart: Justice, Rulership, The Unwanted

The Nameless One: It is unknown if any beings revere Him and if so for what.

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2012 at 2:43pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #86 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
  Istrian Royalty and Politics

Uriens: King of Istria

Aidan: Crown Prince of Istria

Estrella: Crown Princess of Istria

There is no Queen, The Queen died in Child Birth giving Birth to Estrella

Briard: High Lord Chancellor Of Istria

Sir Edgarton: Though not Royalty, Sir Edgarton is the former Queens Champion and now by default Princess Estrellas' Champion. He is held in very high regard throughout the Kingdom and beyond. Though Sir Edgarton is a Mighty Warrior he is aging and has taken on an apprentice. His name is Sir Roland of The Iron lands.

The Eight Dukedoms: Each are of course individual areas in Istria with their own Dukes. Each Duke is responsible for their own lands as well as Gaurding and Maintaining their section of the Four Roads. They will be posted seperately. The Eight Dukes are also part of the Royal Council which is called Annualy or in times of Great need such as War or a Disaster.

Two Dukedoms of quick mention are The Iron Lands to the far North East and Sarloos to the South East. Catalan Duke of Sarloos is also known as The Silver Duke due to the abundant Silver Mines in his Dukedom. It is rumored the Duke may be more Wealthy than the King Himself.

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2014 at 11:11am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #87 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Jimmy found this file (attached) in my zip of the old forum posts.  Not the best format but hoping it will help you capture any old thoughts.

1328316630.txt ( 35 KB | 15 Downloads )

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #88 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
  Thanks Paul. I think I have to get it into another format. I might be nuts and maybe nothing is missing or in a more genaral sense I might just be NUTS.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #89 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
That is the format the site saves the posts as on the back end. It's the best I can do, apologies.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #90 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
  I appreciate it. Not asking anything from you. I'll see what I can do with it.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #91 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
  The Illyrian Empire

This self proclaimed Empire can have it's roots traced back for just under 1000 years. The initial Illyrian Kingdom was formed roughly a Millenia ago and through ages of conquest and assimilation of neighboring Kingdoms became an Empire. Over time the Illyrians stretched the boundaries of their Empire and as they conquered or assimilated their neighbors they would simply make the citizens part of the Illyrian Empire as it is now known.

The Illyrian lands lie West of Istria. Actually the Empire lies Northwest and Southwest of Istria as well. The Empire is roughly three times the size of Istria but the population is  roughly 10 times that of Istria. This is partially due to the fact that the Illyrians still practice Slavery to a large extent though through their years of conquest most civilizations became citizens and not slaves. The slaves are mostly made up of  generations of former slaves since it is almost impossible to move up in class.

The Empire has made great progress in taking what was best from each civilization they conquered and made it their own. The Illyrians are Masters of Engineering rivaled only by the Dwarves to the Northeast. They have built a vast series of roads to assist in their conquests as well as their trading over the centuries.

The Emperor holds Supreme Power though each city is run by their own Lord who may make the day to day decisions as well as being responsible for the collection of taxes for the Empire.

The Illyrian Army is said to be the most disciplined fighting force known today and though their soldiers are often called the Illyrian Lancers this is not actually the case. The True Illyrian Lancers are an Elite force hand chosen from the rest of the Empires soldiers. Simply think of a Spartan Warrior and put him on Horseback. You will have an Illyrian Lancer. A dangerous and Deadly opponent to be sure.

Though the Illyrians and Istrians are on acceptable terms they are in no way allies. Trade may be had between both Civilizations but trust between the two neighbors is thin. Istria is made up of former Illyrians who travelled East into the lands as well as escaped slaves. Though this was over 500 years ago it has not been forgotten by either Nation and jealousy from both sides still runs rampant. It is thought that the only thing that has stopped the Illyrinas from Invading Istria is the vast mountain range that seperates most of Istria from Illyria. That thought is of course correct.

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:32pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #92 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
  And Finally.....

The Ravens Wood

The Vast Forest formerly known simply as The Western Woods was the home of  course to The Western Elves. The Western Woods at it's height was roughly three times the size of what it is today.

Some Five Hundred plus years ago explorers from both Illyria and the Eastern Kingdoms began to migrate into the lands now known as Istria. In the beginning this was of no great consequence to the Elf Lord and his people. After all these Humans were not much more advanced than the Goblin peoples who roamed to the East and North of the Woods.

As time passed it became apparent that these short lived Humans were also short of thought and Greedy. They harvested Trees to build their homes as well as precious Plants that only resided in the Western Woods to assist in their Medicinal needs.

Eventually it had to come to an end. War was declared by the Western Elves against the Human threat to the South and East. Unfortunately for the Elves of The Western Woods the number of Humans as well as the ability to procreate was too much for the Elves. The Humans would continue to produce new Generations of Warriors while the Elves population dwindled due to the constant warfare.

Finally The Elf Lord, we do not speak the names of the Dead, set forth to stop this encroachment into their Home.

The Elf Lord began to spin a great Spell that would seal their home off from the rest of the Lands. Legend says that as he spoke the words of His Great Spell, The Nameless One  took the form of a Beautiful Butterfly and perched on His shoulder. He spoke words of Despair into The Elf Lords ear and thus was the Spell tainted and in the end became a Curse instead.

In His Sorrow the Elf Lord spoke the final words of His Spell. "Let No New Life Spring Forth from These Lands."

To this day the land now known as The Ravens Wood does not change with the Seasons. The trees do not shed their leaves and no new tress or Plants will grow on it's outskirts. It is unknown what happens inside The Ravens Wood as no traveller who enters has ever been known to return with his sanity or in most cases, his life.

What is known is that the former denizens, The Elves, have left The Western Woods. They migrated further West into the lands of Illyria. Some stayed in the Mountains South of the Dwarven Homelands and some have moved to the Plains of Illyria as well as spread out to the North in Illyria. They have become a a Nomadic People and have broken into Clans over the centuries.

It remains a Mystery as to Who or What resides in The Ravens Wood today but whatever it is it has become more than apparent that whatever it may be it does not wish to be Disturbed.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #93 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Sir Edgarton approaches Sir Roland (John), Florian DeCola(Mike), Our Beloved Ranger Type (Gerry) with a rolled piece of Parchment in his hand.

"Well my Young Friends. It seems after all my back breaking lessons with all of you the time has finally come. You have been summoned to spend the next six months in your obliged rotation at The Storm Towers to The North."

"Ah, I remember my times there in my youth fondly but that was back in the day when there really was a threat of Goblin Incursion. Those were the good old days. No longer it seems however."

"Keep in mind that there you will hold no rank of Knight or Squire, you will simply be as all the others. Soldiers performing your duty to King and Country. It seems you will travelling there with an old acquaintance of mine, Sgt. Crux."

" To be honest Gentlemen, you may actually prefer the company of the Goblins to his."

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #94 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
The Storm Towers

Located some 225 miles to the North of Central Istria lies a fortress where the Eastern and Western Mountain Ranges come to nearly meet. The Storm Towers.

This Fortress was built over the years as the Humans began to settle both from Illyria and The Eastern Kingdoms. As the prior denizens of what is now known as Istria were slowly pushed Northward a boundary was created.

The Fortress derives it's name from the two main towers that were carved at each side straight out of the bedrock of the mountains. It is also aptly named based simply on the amount of times it has been seiged from The North by the Goblin Hordes. This however no longer seems to be the case. The Goblins still reside to the North however storming such a great fortress no longer seems to be practical. It seems much easier to travel through the Mountains to the East or West or even sometimes under them. Raiding parties are still known to cross the Mountains into Istria to this day though less common are still far to frequent.

The Towers are not a part of any of the 8 Official  Dukedoms though each Dukedom plays their part in helping to supply The Towers. Both with tangible supplies as well as Soldiers. All male Royalty from the lowest Squire to the Crown Prince Himself are required at some point to serve anywhere from 3 to 12 months there. Though Uriens served it was well before he was anointed King of Istria.

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:10pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #95 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
  Just a quick note on Istrian Climate. It is roughly the same as New York State. Cold in the winter, warm to damn hot in the summer. Snow Falls in the middle of the Kingdom are only a few total inches to a foot on average throughout the winter months. Greater to the North and somwhat less to the South but not tremendously.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #96 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
  Dragons

Legends have it that Dragons are the direct servants of The Gods. It is rumored that there are only 15 of them and they are Immortal. Each of the 15 Dragons is said to serve one of The 15 Gods as their right hand. Some have claimed to either have conversed with a Dragon or seen One. Most individuals discount this since the majority of the populations have never seen or spoken to such beings.

It is possible that those who claim to have encountered such creatures have in fact encountered either a Wyvern or possibly a Drake.

Each of these creatures are similar in looks to what a True Dragon is supposed to look like. The Wyvern is a Hunter and an Animal while it is said The Drake is an Intelligent Creature and able to communicate with other intelligent beings. Both of these creatures are Huge ranging from 16' at the shoulder for an average Wyvern and a Drake at about 20' at the shoulder.

It is also rumored that the Wyverns and Drakes are the Descendants of The Nameless Ones Dragon Servant but such stories seemed based solely on Myth and Legend.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #97 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Just Bumping this for Friday. Gents please give it a re read at your leisure.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #98 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:25am:
I enjoyed character creation, and found the setting background you gave us interesting. I didn't finish getting all my equipment, as I didn't get a chance to ask you how you were handling armor. I know John's character has chain mail, but as a Ranger, I was thinking more along the lines of banded/scale male, unless that's too detailed, in which place I'd just go with leather (which would be more typical of a yeoman archer type)

Gerry,

I might suggest Leather or Studded Leather. The stats are posted in the second page I think.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #99 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Old Siverragn

Siverragn first appeared in Istria some sixty years ago when Uriens Father was King. He was old then too. No one calls him "Old" but Siverragn often refers to himself that way. He serves as an advisor to Uriens though he is often thought to be sleeping during court proceedings. Somehow he still remembers all that happened during Court.

It is also rumored that over the years he has performed a Miracle or Three.....

Note

Some seven years ago when Sir Roland first came to the Capital City of Istria he noticed Siverragn standing knee deep in a clear Lake on a Sunny Summer morning. Sir Roland overheard Siverragn saying to no one in particular while looking down into the still waters " What do you mean He would have to dive into the Sky and swim to the bottom in order to find it?"

Sir Roland could swear Siverragn was talking to a Fish.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2013 at 11:08am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #100 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
It is now the beginning of the Sixth Month of The Year.

The Month of Her Lady: The Natural Beauty.

That would also make it the time when the Dukal Council is convened in the Istrian Capital City. All eight Dukes and their retinue will convene for the Council. It is a time of work and festivities though not considered a Holiday it is a busy and festive time.

Of course for Sir Roland it is nothing but work.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #101 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
.....And so it came to pass that after seven years of rigorous training in Mind, Body and Spirit, our Beloved Sir Roland was finally called to Duty.

It was the First Day of the Sixth Month, the Month of Her Lady, The Natural Beauty that Sir Roland would be called to serve as both Castle Knight Guard and Herald outside the chambers of The Ducal Council Meeting. Roland was chosen for his several abilities. Heraldry, Oration and not to mention his prowess with a Blade. Having Sir Edgarton as a Mentor and being Sir Edgarton's Squire did not hurt either.

Sir Roland's first announcement came as Catalan Drake, Duke of Saarloos approached the council room along with his retinue. None would be admitted but The Silver Duke himself but a man of such stature could hardly be alone. As Sir Roland announced the presence of Duke Catalan his booming voice caught the ears of The Silver Duke. Though not friends Catalan had become familiar with Roland over the years due to Roland's particularly odd way of becoming a Castle Knight and Royal Squire. Roland had saved the Life of Sir Edgarton years ago though at the same time losing both His parents during a Goblin raid in The Iron Lands. This act of Heroism and Self Sacrifice had led to Roland becoming a ward of the Royal House of Istria and Squire to Sir Edgarton, The Princess' Champion.

Be that as it may it did not stop The Silver Duke from making Sir Roland as uncomfortable as possible outside the Council Chambers. It was known that Duke Catalan enjoyed a good jest as well and if not better than most. Our Beloved Sir Roland took the jibes only as he could and performed his duties and announced The Silver Duke to the Council.

After a brief time Duke Bernard Adelburn and His retainers approached the Council Chambers. Once again Sir Roland performed as he should and again He caught the ear of another Duke. The eye also. The Iron Duke took notice of Roland and recalled him from those seven years ago when Roland had brought an injured and barley conscious Sir Edgarton to his door in the middle of a Wintry Night during The Dark Month. The Iron Duke did not however act in the same fashion as Catalan Duke of Saarloos. Duke Adelburn simply acknowledged what he still considered "that boy" from that cold and terrible night. A brave and stalwart ten year old who had grown into a Man.

The Ducal Council met that day for twelve hours and in the end nothing had been accomplished. This was no great surprise as it appeared this was the case each and every year. The first days would drag as the Dukes hemmed and hawed at each other over taxation and finance before The King finally had enough and gave them an ultimatum to finish  their useless bickering and resolve the issues quickly.

Roland escorted Sir Edgarton to his quarters as was his Duty. As they were just finishing up removing Sir Edgartons Armor of State a knock came on the door. The Hall Page had come to announce that The Princess Estrella and Her handmaid Lucretia were in the outer chamber requesting an audience with Sir Edgarton. The request was a mere formality as no one denied The Princess Estrella anything it seemed.

Sir Roland, not knowing whether he should excuse himself or not, chose instead to bury himself in a corner of the room and became deeply interested in a Tapestry he had never really had much interest in previously. You see, seven years ago when Sir Roland came to the Istrian Capital he had laid eyes on The Princess Estrella for the first time. In that one glance and even as a child of only ten he had fallen madly in Love with the Princess. Knowing such things would never be he now simply admired her from afar.

The reason for the meeting was not for The Princess' needs. Instead it was Her handmaiden, Lucretia, who required assistance from Sir Edgarton. It seemed Lucretia was with child. It took Sir Roland all his efforts not to blurt out "It's not mine." He simply concentrated on the tapestry in the corner. Lucretia stated she had previously been with Viscount Ambrose Dulaney, a Vassal of Catalan, Duke of Saarloos. Though Lucretia admitted he had not been her first she swore upon the Gods and the Life of her unborn child that she had been with no one else for months before and after her tryst with Dulaney. Though Sir Edgarton firmly believed her there was naught he could do. His responsibility as The Princess' Champion forbid Him from acting as Champion for another. Sir Edgarton was forced to deny the request she made. Lucretia needed to find someone who would challenge Dulaney and force him to accept the unborn child as a Bastard. Therefore at least guaranteeing the child's well being in the future.

Sir Roland heard all of it yet continued his deep study of the Tapestry. Even more so when The Princess Estrella looked his way. It seemed to be getting warmer by the moment even though the Hearth was empty. Perhaps it was Sir Roland's Heavy Chain he was still wearing. Perhaps it was something else.

Sir Edgarton informed both Lucretia and The Princess he would look into the matter and would attempt to find a Champion who would protect her Honor or in this case the Honor of the Child. The two Ladies left but not before The Princess glanced back again at the ever increasingly sweating Sir Roland.

That night after completing his requirements to Edgarton, Roland could not sleep. He prayed for Guidance in the matter and the next morning knew what he must do. As he prepared Sir Edgarton for the next day of wasted efforts at The Ducal Council Roland informed Edgarton of his decision to take on the role of Champion for both woman and child.

After Sir Roland's duties were completed that day he quilled a note to Lucretia and sealed it. Sir Roland took the evening and walked  to The Royal Apartments to present His offer. Once he was past the Royal Guard he presented his letter to a Page and requested Audience with The Princess and Her Maiden. He was admitted and as he once again began to sweat in the presence of Estrella his note was read by Lucretia. He was simply thanked and excused. Sir Roland did not think it went as he had hoped.

At the completion of the third day of The Ducal Council Sir Roland returned to his apartments to find a Royal Page awaiting him with a note. The letter indicated he should meet with Lucretia at a Tavern called The Green Gryphon on his next off day at eight bells of night. It seemed he would receive the answer to his offer in person.

Two evenings later Sir Roland met Lucretia at the Tavern in the city proper. She was of course twenty minutes late as a Lady should be. They sat at a secluded table in the back of the Tavern and Lucretia thanked Sir Roland as well as accepted his generous offer. No one else would come to her aid and Roland was her Child's only hope for a decent life. She left and barely touched her food or wine. Sir Roland not being one to waste a gift from the Gods completed both meals.

That evening he returned to his apartment and quilled his Letter of Formal Challenge to Viscount Dulaney in the name of Lucretia's Honor. It was courteous and well written. You see Roland was not just trained in the arts of War, but also in the finer arts as befitting a Knight and Squire of Sir Edgarton.

As the sixth day of The Ducal Council began Sir Roland could hear the intensity rising in the room behind Him. After he had announced all the required Dukes, Princes and Champions Sir Roland approached Viscount Dulaney in the Antechamber. Sir Roland's other friends in The Guard took His post for the moment. Roland politely waited for Dulaney to finish his conversation with another member of the Royalty and presented his Letter of Challenge personally to The Viscount with a bow of respect. Whether he meant it or not is unknown. Viscount Dulaney was Taken aback it seemed. Caught somewhere between amusement and outrage he blurted out "What? You challenge me? Over the unborn child of a Whore who has slept with every man in sight?" Sir Roland simply bowed again and returned to his post. As Dulaney continued to follow Sir Roland he was politely and politically blocked from approaching the Council Chambers by three other Royal Guards. This seemed to outrage the Viscount even further but not being a foolish man he laughed and turned away. This scene of course got the attention of all the other lackeys and rumor mongers and in moments the Challenge was the talk of the Antechamber. In hours it would be the talk of the Castle proper and in a day the talk of the city.

As the sixth day grew on more and more chilled wine was ordered for those in the Chamber. More often those inside would excuse themselves for a breath of fresh air or just a moment of coherent thought. Sir Roland was caught in conversation three times that day. Once by the Aidan, The Prince Himself, whom he  had grown up with though they were seven years apart, Aidan being the Elder. Once with Sir Edgarton who had just come out to relieve himself and demand more chilled wine.

The final conversation if you could call it that was with Old Siverragn, Councilor to The King as well as Miracle Worker. It seems today he had no miracles to offer. In truth there was no real conversation as Siverragn truly appearred to only be speaking to Himself as he walked the Chamber. Most others simply got out of his way as he paced the floors muttering to himself about how much simpler it was for the Fish. After several minutes he hurried back to the Ducal Council Chambers. Sir Roland barely had time to open the door. It seemed Siverragn was still quick for someone so old. Especially for someone who constantly complained about an ailing back or some other hurt.

That evening a page waited for Sir Roland outside his apartment. The page had a note and it was sealed with the symbol of the House of Dulaney. As expected and almost required the Viscount had accepted Roland's challenge. Longsword, Chain and Shield.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2013 at 12:53pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #102 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
  Luckily for Sir Roland he was equipped with these items in order to defend Lucretia and her unborn child. Had He not owned  these items he would have had to perform with lesser equipment and been at a distinct dis-advantage. Roland showed the acceptance letter to Edgarton. Edgartons comments were limited but included " That Boor did not quill this Himself" Sir Edgarton also gave Roland a few words of advice. "Do not go near the Head, it is considered Rude. Also note Roland, Dulaney tilts to the left before striking."

The appointment was set for two days hence and Sir Roland received permission from Sir Edgarton for the needed time off though Edgarton would require some service that morning.

On the final day of the Ducal Council Roland could hear the voice of the King himself inside the chambers. He noted at no point had the King once passed the doors either in or out. The King gave the ultimatum to the Dukes inside. They had four hours to conclude their Conclave and resolve all issues or He would do it Himself and not all may be satisfied with the outcome. And so that day the Ducal Council was concluded and Magically all involved were satisfied if not completely happy with the outcomes.

The day of The Challenge had finally  come and it was not going well at all so far for Sir Roland. After his required time preparing Sir Edgarton, Sir Roland had no luck at all. He could not locate his Chain Mail though he eventually found it in his foot locker. Strange as Roland could swear upon The Lord Protector Himself he had looked there at least a dozen times. While donning his Chain a strap broke which caused Roland to have to create another notch which was just slightly too tight. Finally Sir Roland was ready and departed his room just as the morning bells were striking eleven. He was already late as the Challenge was to begin at eleven.

As he ran to the Fencing School where the Challenge was to commence he nearly tripped over a Black Cat that ran between his legs. In that moment he also heard and saw a Child crying on a stone bench. The Child had cut her knee while also playing Seek and Find with that pesky Cat. Sir Roland being a Gentleman and Knight scooped the Girl up in his arms as he continued towards the Fencing School. Everywhere he turned to look for another adult to assist the Child he found no one. This was itself odd as usually at this time of day the halls would be crowded with those going about the business of the Castle.

The Child ceased her crying and asked Sir Roland his name. He of course replied in the most dramatic if not hurried of ways. " Sir Roland of The Iron Hills" he said as he huffed and puffed towards the Fencing School. She introduced herself as "Denna" and asked him if he would would like to play Seek and Find someday. Sir Roland would think upon it but for now he had other pressing matters. Matters that involved the future of Both a Mother and Her Child. At that moment Sir Roland and His passenger finally came across another Adult right outside the Fencing School. Sir Roland explained the situation and pleaded with the Woman to take care of the Child. Her only response to Sir Roland as she took her from him was 'I always do."

In moments the sweating Roland, this time he had good reason to be, entered the Hall. Sir Edgarton, Chamberlain Briard, Lucretia and Catalan of Saarloos were present as well as many others. Viscount Dulaney was also present and pacing the Hall like a caged Wolf. Dulaney immediately demanded a Forfeit since Roland was at least twenty minutes late. Briard denied this as he was in charge of the proceedings yet required Roland to apologize to Dulaney for His rudeness.

Sir Roland being the ever loyal Knight apologized well and they were given an additional five minutes to prepare themselves for the Melee. Viscount Dulaney would have stared LASER Beams at Roland had they been invented yet. Instead he just stared Flaming Daggers at Sir Roland.

Then the moment came. Briard announced that the Combat could begin and the reason for it. Should Dulaney win then the claim of his fatherhood to the child would be counted false. Should Sir Roland win then Dulaney would be responsible for the child's well being, at least monetarily.

As the two combatants were given their freedom to have at one another Vscount Dulaney moved first. His first move however was a viscous swing at Sir Roland's head. In the background one could hear Catalan Duke of Saarloos mutter "Bad form Dulaney" but the contest had already begun. Roland ducked the wild swing and came around to the rear of Dulaney where he struck a blow from behind striking Dulaney in the "Rear". This brought some muttered laughter from the onlookers and a snarl from Dulaney. In response Dulaney turned and caught Sir Roland with a viscous back swing. Roland's Chain absorbed the attack from the blunted practice blade but he still felt the impact.

The two circled each other and Roland remained calm as Dulaney became more angry. Roland continued to move to the side and rear as Dulaney continued to rain down heavier handed blows which Roland deftly sidestepped, parried or blocked. After two minutes of this the combatants were becoming winded. Dulaney in his rage threw his shield at Roland and summarily slipped on it while rushing forward to attack. This gave Roland his final advantage and he took it. Roland jumped over another swing from Dulaney and came down on Dulaney with the weight of both himself and the flat of his blade across Dulaneys back. It is believed the resounding crack of bone was heard somewhere in Emperors Hall in Illyria. The fight was over to everyone except Dulaney.

As Viscount Dulaney crawled towards Sir Roland,Duke Catalan stepped forward. As was his right he spoke for Dulaney. The matter was settled and Sir Roland had won. It was obvious that Dulaney could not continue lest he risk further injury and possibly Death. Sir Roland was the Victor today and Lucretia would have all that was needed for her unborn child.

....And in this day several things happened. Sir Roland gained both some amount of fame and some new friends. He also gained an new Enemy, an Enemy with both a long reach and a long memory.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2013 at 3:12pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #103 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
  On a quick note:

The part of Sir Roland was played by John.

Also I promise not to ever again write something so friggin long like that unless a Giant Blue Hand comes out and Magically brings Wally or The Oni back from the grave.

That in and of itself will guarantee it never happening.

I had planned this adventure to only be an hour or so and it went close to three hours based off a few additional twists and Role Playing by John.

I have to say I was happy to finally get in the first Ravensood Adventure since it has been brewing in my head for almost twenty years.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #104 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Beuhler?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6