Normal Topic MC2 heroes and villains (Marvel) (Read 1395 times)
PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

MC2 heroes and villains (Marvel)
Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I am a big fan of the seemingly defunct MC2 'universe' from Marvel. Set 15 or so years after the present Marvel era, (but quirkily in the 'present' not the future), the MC2 universe grabbed me straight away when I gave it a try (which was pretty late in its life-cycle admittedly).

With around 190-200 issues to draw upon, there is a nice chunk of stories around this timeline. I love the characters, many of whom are legacies of established Marvel heroes and villains.

Describing the MC2 ethos, primary writer (on about 95% of the stories) Tom DeFalco said this:

DEFALCO: "We are “old school” because A) our heroes act like heroes…B) we don’t believe in decompression…C) we tell single issue stories with subplots that build from issue to issue… and D) there’s a lot of action and angst in every issue."

So I will try and post my 'conversions' in this thread from time to time if that is okay.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:18pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Re: MC2 heroes and villains (Marvel)
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:20pm
Print Post  

ARGO, the almighty      Identity: Argo
Side: Good            Sex: Male
Experience: 8000            Level: 3
Age: teenager            Training: Combat Accuracy (unarmed HTH)
Powers:
1.      Heightened Expertise: martial arts (unarmed hand to hand) and battle staves
2.      Heightened Strength (B): +17
3.      Heightened Endurance (B): +16
4.      Mutant Power (Mighty Strength): Carry Capacity is x5
5.      Mutant Power (Herculean Strength): Add an additional 1/10 of Strength to the formula to determine Carry Capacity which does not affect basic HTH damage; PR cost = 2 and uses up half of Argo’s movement inches for the benefit to last one Turn at no Action cost. 
Weight: 200 lbs.            Basic Hits: 4
Agility Mod.: -            Strength: 30
Endurance: 28            Agility: 12
Intelligence: 10            Charisma: 12
Reactions From: Good: +1, Evil: -1
Hit Mod. (2.4) (3.4) (1.3) (1) = 43 Hit Points: (x 10.608)
Damage Mod.: +1      Healing Rate: x / day
Accuracy: +1            Power: 80
Carrying Capacity: 14,000 lbs./41,900 lbs.      
Basic HTH Damage: 2d10
Movement Rates: 60” a turn
Det. Hidden: 8%            Det. Danger: 12%
Inventing Points: 3.0      Inventing: (30%)
Origin and Background: high school sports
Legal Status: US citizen with no criminal record
Previous Training (added in): Strength, Agility

History:
Argo (the Almighty) is the son of Hercules and Argo’s unnamed mother. When Hercules left Argo and his mother to fight a battle with the Avengers and never returned, it broke Argo's mother's heart. Argo dedicated himself to becoming a trained superhero so that he could one day find Hercules in order to face him.

Argo heard about the re-birth of the Avengers, a.k.a A-Next, and breaking into their mansion he faced them in battle – which he did to gain their help in finding his father. It was quickly apparent that Argo tried to take advantage of the 'fight then team up' cliché common among superheroes. After the Avengers defeated him, but only after working together against him, Argo explained that he was looking for his missing father, the former Avenger known as Hercules.

The collected heroes followed a lead from their SHIELD contacts to Mount Athena where they discovered Hercules, driven mad with grief. Argo attacked Hercules, enraged over his feelings of abandonment. Thunderstrike managed to bring Argo to his senses, and once Hercules explained how heavy his heart was over the past/. Seeing his father overcome by emotion Argo was able to comfort him. Sometime later Argo accepted membership in A-Next.

Origin:
Argo is the son of Hercules and a mortal woman, and it is his Olympian heritage which provides his tremendous strength and resilience.

Personality:
Boisterous and seemingly light-hearted, this hides the sadness he felt about his mother’s passing and his apparent abandonment by his father.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:21pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I am also a big fan of this line of comics.  When I hear of anything from this line coming out,  I get excited.  This is the closest Marvel has gotten to the Jim Shooter years, since Jim Shooter.   To bad Defalco didn't use this philosophy when he was the EIC of Marvel.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:34pm:
I am also a big fan of this line of comics.  When I hear of anything from this line coming out,  I get excited.  This is the closest Marvel has gotten to the Jim Shooter years, since Jim Shooter.   To bad Defalco didn't use this philosophy when he was the EIC of Marvel.

I know what you mean. That said, I love re-reading these comics (just finishing up my 3rd or 4th re-read of both last Hero Standing and Last Planet Standing!).  Smiley

IP Logged

Oculus Orbus
Teen Titan

I Hate Champions!

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
More, please!

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
seriously! i have a bunch of old txt conversions of the characters to hero system rules (mostly by DeeJay and Sam Bell, if i recall). I may grind thru the hero-to-v&v conversion process to pitch in here.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
lol ya cant mention DeFalco in a thread without the woid "Tundastrike" cropping up at least once.
dont take my woid for it, its in da Bible.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I liked some of the characters (Stinger Spidergirl), but never really got into any of the books. I may give them a second look though.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
brace yourself tho: while some of it is really good (ok, fine, pretty good), some of it is very, very, very bad.  so ease into it lol. I expected a lot more team versatility, but if Juggernaut's Son and Tundastrike's Son are members, why add Hercules's?

IP Logged

Oculus Orbus
Teen Titan

I Hate Champions!

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I'd only read A-Next, but I got the biggest old school kick out of it. The MC2 books were probably the last gasp of that kind of superhero comic.

IP Logged

>